Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2016 IIHF World Div.IB Championship - Zagreb, Croatia; 17th-23th.Apr

IHF Member
    Highlights from Great Britain - Ukraine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS4_pRw9kcY

IHF Member
    Why the hell Lithuania didn't take the goalie off in the end of the 3rd period? There isn't worthwhile to win the tournament?

Quote Originally Posted by Susi View Post
    Why the hell Lithuania didn't take the goalie off in the end of the 3rd period? There isn't worthwhile to win the tournament?
    I didn't get it either. Maybe coach decided that there was no good chance to do that, we couldn't keep puck in Croatian zone... Anyway, the biggest chance was blown when Bosas wasted great opportunity bein' open infront of goal with couple of minutes till the end... Sad. 3rd place is good acomplishment, but promotion to 1A would have been just amazing, even if for one year.

Congrats Ukraine

IHF Member
    I agree with you, Drax. Quality imports improve the league but there are too many. Leavitt is a good example but you could pick many. Guy Doucet has looked amazing in EIHL for a variety of teams but look at his record in Denmark.

There's also an issue where enforcers are lionised by fans more than skill players. In Nottingham Cam Janssen gets a much bigger roar from the fans than Juraj Kolnik or even David Clarke. Nothing against Cam, but I always find that a depressing example of where the sport is in the UK. Trying to attract more fans through fighting rather than through the game.

There's a particular lack of GB play makers. The problem is I don't see it changing-the import level in EIHL is rising by one for next season. There are many great things about EIHL but production of GB national team players is not one of them. The league proclaim that its 'not a development league' but clearly, in some part, it should be. It's essentially run by team owners who care, understandably, more about money and attendances that development of young talent. It's all about how many Nottingham-Sheffield games you can squeeze into a season rather than promoting young talent.

That said, I think that more GB players should try to play abroad. They don't seem to improve in EIHL. Lachowicz had gone backwards over the last 2years or so. So has Farmer to some extent.

Congratulations to Ukraine. They won the big game when it really mattered and thus fully deserve promotion.

I am satisfied with Croatia's performances and result. Given all the circumstances like short training camp, playing first game without best player, bad form by Tomljenović, we were getting better as tournament progressed. We outshot Ukraine, absoluetly demolish Romania, and win over always dangeours Estonia and Lithuania. What makes me happy the most is how young players (from U20 EBEL) played, almost like proven veterans, Janković (5 pts), Jarčov (4 pts), Miličić (2 goals), Kegalj also played well, but for me best defender was Puzić. Although he didn't play all year long MacAulay did very good job. Too bad Rendulić came up in such hurry I am sure he could play even better, but he found nice chemistry with Blagus and Perkovich in very short time.

If croatian players gets proper senior league to play in I am expecting even better results next year.

I feel a bit sorry for Lithuania - it would be their biggest succes since decade to move up, and it would be happened without some of their best players. Pavliukov well replaced Armalis, I clearly underestimated him before the tournament.
    Also, Croatia became better and better, at the end of the tournament, they played a really nice game. I agree with Snapshot, Croatia needs a better league or a team in MOL-league/EBEL - would be bad if this talented generation end up as amateurs.

Estonia again avoided relegation. They played nice and they were a hard nut for the other teams (except Lithuania), but they also need a better league or next year Netherlands with their German3-winner team will send them down.
    Britain is again the "bad luck Brian" - last year Lithuania, this year Estonia tricked them, and now they lost the deciding match in a close game. I would say that "next time", depending on which team will come from DIV1/A.

IHF Member
    I agree with all this. To me the main problem is that they look to their North American club mates when playing in the EIHL and are more comfortable in a support role. Div IB is lower standard than their domestic league but they struggle with leadership.

Geoff

This was a very interesting tournament. I agree that both Croatia and Estonia need better domestic leagues. For that matter, so does Lithuania. All three teams played some good hockey and this division was a pleasure to watch (although I only got to see about 1/4 of each game - highlights).

If MOL-Liga collapses, I don't see Romania getting back to this division every other year or being competitive when they do reach it.

Tony Hand should come out of retirement and play for Great Britain. He could probably still produce at this level.

I read somewhere that Darius Kasparaitis, despite his age, thinks he could be an impact player for Lithuania at this level and has been playing in the Lithuanian league so that he can qualify to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    This was a very interesting tournament. I agree that both Croatia and Estonia need better domestic leagues. For that matter, so does Lithuania. All three teams played some good hockey and this division was a pleasure to watch (although I only got to see about 1/4 of each game - highlights).

If MOL-Liga collapses, I don't see Romania getting back to this division every other year or being competitive when they do reach it.

Tony Hand should come out of retirement and play for Great Britain. He could probably still produce at this level.

I read somewhere that Darius Kasparaitis, despite his age, thinks he could be an impact player for Lithuania at this level and has been playing in the Lithuanian league so that he can qualify to play.
    Tony Hand would still be our best player by far... that's the issue we have with GB!
    Dinamo Riga, Manchester Storm

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information