Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 IIHF World Championship – Moscow/St. Petersburg, Russia

Quote Originally Posted by Mikke View Post
    Patrik Laine - Youngest player in Finland's history to record a goal and an assist, 2+1.
    He is the youngest player in Finland's history to dress for a game on this level, so all of his firsts will be records.
    UPGRADE NOW: Laho 2.0: An all-new interface, improved outlook, refitted AI, better stick handling and a whole new load of lousy jokes. 100% HPK compatible.

Phew, that wasn't exactly easy but at the end of the day the 3 points is all that matters.

Apart from Sekera and Jurco, the rest of the team needs to step it up starting from next game. Our first line had a terrible game, I hope it's all just caused by this being the first game and inexperience at this stage and the pressire that was put on them. Also, they need to dress Cehlarik for the next game.

Good effort from Hungary. Don't quite understand how the reffs missed the fact that the Hungarian player was in th rease for their goal and Sofron's elbow in Marcinko's face.
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

See you in 2019...perhaps...

And Canuckstan, err, Kazakhstan, beats the Swiss behind their completely non-Kazakh and non-Russian naturalized Canadians. In my opinion the IIHF needs to do something to change its rules. These guys have no connection to Kazakhstan beyond their multi-year contracts to play for Barys Astana in the KHL. Players who come to play for a nation's sole pro 'super club' in a trans-national pro league shouldn't be permitted to play for that nation regardless of being handed citizenship. These 'super clubs' are delegitimizing international hockey in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    And Canuckstan, err, Kazakhstan, beats the Swiss behind their completely non-Kazakh and non-Russian naturalized Canadians. In my opinion the IIHF needs to do something to change its rules. These guys have no connection to Kazakhstan beyond their multi-year contracts to play for Barys Astana in the KHL. Players who come to play for a nation's sole pro 'super club' in a trans-national pro league shouldn't be permitted to play for that nation regardless of being handed citizenship. These 'super clubs' are delegitimizing international hockey in my opinion.
    It is simple.....maximum number of naturalized players must be 5
    A-light-in-the-dark: Sofia Bulgaria, Skopje Macedonia, Sarajevo & Pristina :)

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaaa View Post
    Phew, that wasn't exactly easy but at the end of the day the 3 points is all that matters.

Apart from Sekera and Jurco, the rest of the team needs to step it up starting from next game. Our first line had a terrible game, I hope it's all just caused by this being the first game and inexperience at this stage and the pressire that was put on them. Also, they need to dress Cehlarik for the next game.

Good effort from Hungary. Don't quite understand how the reffs missed the fact that the Hungarian player was in th rease for their goal and Sofron's elbow in Marcinko's face.
    Hmm... Sofron did not raise his elbow a bit.
    It was a great effort from Hungary, basically in the third we dominated the Slovaks all period- something I never really dreamed of. It went all in one direction, and Slovakia is quite lucky, because if one of the chances went in, it would'have been a different story.
    Slovakia is a way better team, but I'm happy to say we are only a few geniuses away, and the gap is closing quick every year. The other thing is that it is obvious that Slovak players don't like being bodychecked. I think this is a reason why Miskolc was not accepted to the Extraliga.
    I very much liked this game. Seven years ago the game was closer if you see the score, but this year the look of the game was quite different. Then it was pure heroism, an unprepared Slovak squad and luck, but today it was pore hockey. With this play we are not without chance to stay in. Quite proud :-)

Team USA only have 3 less duel nationals than Kazakhstan according to EP page? Plus hasn't Kazakhstan lost their last 21 games previous to that one?

I don't see an issue with it myself. If they haven't represented their 'home' nation and acquire citizenship of another whats the problem with it?
    Dinamo Riga, Manchester Storm

Quote Originally Posted by Garethw87 View Post

I don't see an issue with it myself. If they haven't represented their 'home' nation and acquire citizenship of another whats the problem with it?
    Well they have, Dawes has two U20 WJCs for Canada, Bochensky has played at a senior WC for USA and Boyd has a U20 WJC for Canada.
    I think that any team that has "legitimately" built up their national team over a decade, and gets relegated in place of this Kazakh/North American team has any right to feel the rules are frankly retarded.
    I still feel, Kazakhstan is the weakest team in this group, but this group has certainly opened up with the results so far.

Also YAY for beating Norway

IHF Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by WHawks View Post
    Well they have, Dawes has two U20 WJCs for Canada, Bochensky has played at a senior WC for USA and Boyd has a U20 WJC for Canada.
    I think that any team that has "legitimately" built up their national team over a decade, and gets relegated in place of this Kazakh/North American team has any right to feel the rules are frankly retarded.
    I still feel, Kazakhstan is the weakest team in this group, but this group has certainly opened up with the results so far.

Also YAY for beating Norway
    Only 3 players are naturalized north-amercians, though played important role in Kazakh team victory. Which is simply natural in this globalized world, therefore don't understand your panic. But in general this is not a good trend Ice Hockey...Congrats Kazakhs with important victory!!!

I see what you mean with globalized world, and that's fine that there's Canadians, Americans and whatnot playing on a Kazakh team in the KHL, because that is NOT a national team. I just think there should be a difference between national team tournaments and regional leagues.

Bochenski, Boyd, and Dawes get more spotlight for being from North America, but the former Soviet states have had so much human movement since the post-war era especially. Let's not forget the number of players that have suited up for Russia that grew up or were born in Kazakhstan, Lithuania or Ukraine. Babchuk, Kasparaitis, Nabokov, Perezhogin, and Antipin all spring to mind without having to delve deep.

Should the eligibility requirements be tighter? Yes. Should players be allowed to change the nation they are eligible for? There's debate for and against that.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Garethw87 View Post
    Team USA only have 3 less duel nationals than Kazakhstan according to EP page? Plus hasn't Kazakhstan lost their last 21 games previous to that one?
    All of the dual-citizens on the US team were born and raised in the US. They're products of the US youth development system which is a significant difference from the Kazakh North Americans who were naturalized in their late 20's.

The one thing I would say is the IIHF rules regarding naturalized citizens are tighter than those in many other sports. I do feel there should at least be a limit on the number of such cases per team though.

Quote Originally Posted by cagney View Post
    The one thing I would say is the IIHF rules regarding naturalized citizens are tighter than those in many other sports. I do feel there should at least be a limit on the number of such cases per team though.
    A limit would be an interesting way to combat it, yes. There is always debate in the UK whether we should employ some of the Duel Nationals to boost us back to Div1A.
    Dinamo Riga, Manchester Storm

IHF Member
    In Hungary the federation have decides that there cannot be more than 5 imports a year. We are not big fans of importing, but if everybody else is doing it, so do we. :-( But honestly while an important addition, our imports are not the top players in the NT, and I expect that with the steady and excellent talents our youth program delivers (Gallo, Erdιly, Sebők, Stipsitz, Garαt, Vay, and the ones that fell out only after the last test matches) I don't see them a permanent feature, fortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by veghist View Post
    Hmm... Sofron did not raise his elbow a bit.
    It was a great effort from Hungary, basically in the third we dominated the Slovaks all period- something I never really dreamed of. It went all in one direction, and Slovakia is quite lucky, because if one of the chances went in, it would'have been a different story.
    Slovakia is a way better team, but I'm happy to say we are only a few geniuses away, and the gap is closing quick every year. The other thing is that it is obvious that Slovak players don't like being bodychecked. I think this is a reason why Miskolc was not accepted to the Extraliga.
    I very much liked this game. Seven years ago the game was closer if you see the score, but this year the look of the game was quite different. Then it was pure heroism, an unprepared Slovak squad and luck, but today it was pore hockey. With this play we are not without chance to stay in. Quite proud :-)
    It seemed like he sticked out his elbow to me, still think it should have been called, especially in a game where that hit from Hrnka was called.

Well yeah it was a terrible effort in the 3rd from Slovakia and it's basically a tradition that Slovak NT just doesn't realise that a hockey game is 60 minutes long (look at first EIHC game against Denmark or several IHWC results from recent years).

You are right, even to me this team seemed extremely soft and if the don't up their physical game the likes of Canada will annihilate them. As for Miskolc, nothing has really been decided, actually just a few days ago the issue of Miskolc and other foreign teams joining was raised once again. But it's not secret that most Slovak fans much prefer the "Russian" style of hockey to the "Canadian" one.

I agree that this generation of Hungarian players is a step above the 2009 generation in talent and that's why I was disappointed to see Hungary going for the naturalized players. Hopefully it's just a one time thing and eventually they will make room for the youngsters you mentioned in your latter post.

As for staying in, well I suppose that miracles happen, but it's a tough year for avoidign relegatio with the whole France/Germany situation. An inexperienced Slovak squad with questionable coaching and with the benefit of the surprise coming from the first game was perhaps your best chance to get some points.

As for Slovakia, the important games in Slovak hockey have stopped being played on the ice at least a year ago.

Nobody expects much from this team, so they can only surprise.

The coach and the GM didn't avoid some pre-tourney drama - they barely found room for Jurco on this team (and Slovakia wouldn't have beaten Hungary without him), first they told Marek Hrivik they weren't interested in him, then they called him when he was already on holiday, both him and Richard Panik have complained about the communication from the GM.

Also, while Martin Reway is an extremely intriguing player to watch, when he's not interested, he's just not interested. And it seemed like he wasn't interested today and his whole line suffered from it.

No idea what tomorrow's game against France will look like. But if they want to win, they need to get more physical and keep it simple instead of trying to be fancy with all the passes. Most of the roster lacks the talent to be able to afford to be fancy at this level.

Panik, Hrivik and especially Gaborik would have helped Slovakia.

Hungary is good enough to compete at this level but not good enough to stay, I think.

USA surprised me by beating a Belarus team which is mostly veteran KHL'ers.

Latvia has been right there but hasn't been able to topple the big boys just yet.

Nice win for the Czechs over the Russians....especially in getting the shut out.

Nice upset win for the Danes over the Norwegians....thanks to Dahm in goal especially but also to AHL'er Niklas Jensen. I remember the days when the Danes were stronger than Norway. Now they beat them and it's an upset.

IHF Member
    Top 3 Scorers after Day 2:

1. Patrik Laine
    2. Mikael Granlund
    3. Auston Matthews

I know it's early stages, but anyways these two draft kings have shown that they are world elite at such a young age.
    #28 Jani Rita

IHF Member
    Another point fo Latvia against Czech. I like this team as they managed to recover from 0:2 and reach 3:2. It even more feels Latvia lost two points with 59 seconds remaining. Good job so far!

IHF Member
    Re: Canada - Hungary....good news, Canada has 11 goals total and 10 scorers, good that everybody is getting in on the action... also Pickard played well when he was tested....bad news...Dumba with a give-away leading to a goal and Marchand with 2 interference penalties.

Panik, Hrivik and especially Gaborik would have helped Slovakia.

Hungary is good enough to compete at this level but not good enough to stay, I think.

USA surprised me by beating a Belarus team which is mostly veteran KHL'ers.

Latvia has been right there but hasn't been able to topple the big boys just yet.

Nice win for the Czechs over the Russians....especially in getting the shut out.

Nice upset win for the Danes over the Norwegians....thanks to Dahm in goal especially but also to AHL'er Niklas Jensen. I remember the days when the Danes were stronger than Norway. Now they beat them and it's an upset.
    Slovakia could make even more use of Hossa and Tatar, I think. Hossa would bring the offensive leadership this team is sorely missing on its predominately inexperienced deffense. Tatar had bit of a wobble last year, but otherwise has always been really good for the NT and he also has a higher compete level than most Slovak players. But the two of them as well as Panik and Gaborik said no due to health reasons, so...but Hrivik's case is some terrible mismanagement...

And the only change to the line-up for France compared to yesterday's game is that we are going with Hudacek in net. I used to have a lot of hope for him in the NT but his recent performances in NT games kinda make me dread seeing him get a go just a bit. Hope I'm wrong.

IHF Member
    It seemed like he sticked out his elbow to me, still think it should have been called, especially in a game where that hit from Hrnka was called.
    This was the case. I think he did not raise his elbow, and Marcinko"s head hit his shoulder. But I might be wrong.

sofi malna-2.jpg

IHF Member
    I was surprised Russia played their game Sunday at such an early start time.
    Especially since, as hosts, the Russians could have had a more favourable start time.

IHF Member
    I don't know if Denmark beating Norway is really that big an upset.
    Norway is #11 in IIHF rankings compared to Denmark at #15...kind of in the same ballpark.
    I'm not sure about this but aren't there more Danes in the NHL currently than Norwegians?
    But #17 Kazakhstan beating #7 Switzerland...now THAT is an upset!

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heatleysucks View Post
    On the other hand....the Swiss are losing to Norway 3-1 after two periods.
    Not a good start for a country that won silver not too long ago.

It's also a team that missed out on the QF 3 out of 5 times in the last 5 years and finished 8th the other time that they got in. Predicting their performance based on the 2013 result seems to make almost as little sense as predicting Slovakia's based on the 2012 result.

A lot has been said over the past 15 years about the possibility of Switzerland becoming an elite nation but I think the gap it still huge (although they can beat anyone, but they can also lose to almost anyone) and on the other side the other rest of the pack teams are starting to step on the Swiss heals a bit. The one aspect where the Swiss have definititely improved is the number of NHL players, but for the NT that's a bit of a double-edged sword as you never know who will be available at a given time.

Slovakia could make even more use of Hossa and Tatar, I think. Hossa would bring the offensive leadership this team is sorely missing on its predominately inexperienced deffense. Tatar had bit of a wobble last year, but otherwise has always been really good for the NT and he also has a higher compete level than most Slovak players. But the two of them as well as Panik and Gaborik said no due to health reasons, so...but Hrivik's case is some terrible mismanagement...

And the only change to the line-up for France compared to yesterday's game is that we are going with Hudacek in net. I used to have a lot of hope for him in the NT but his recent performances in NT games kinda make me dread seeing him get a go just a bit. Hope I'm wrong.
    Ok, so I was wrong after all. Though he was a bit too cocky with the puck sometimes for my taste, it worked out for him.

His younger brother also had an offensive awakening and the whole 2nd line was great, Jurco continued where he left off yesterday and Viedensky does tons and tons of dirty work.

Dano left the game early in the 2nd with a minor injury, hopefully he will be good to go come Tuesday. Reway was a bit more visible but still hasn't managed to find his way on the scoresheet, meanwhile linemate Martin Bakoš seems to have found his feet at this level.

I don't think I have to mention the likes of Andrej Sekera on deffense but youngster Christian Jaros has been great (asides from the penalties) and needs to move up the line-up (preferably replacer Sersen on first line). But I thought he should have made the team already last year. Hopefully his Lulea team mate will also get an opportunity to play this tourney.

It was overally a much better effort than yesterday and all areas of play improved, if this is what the team brings into the games against Germany and Belarus, they might just make it to the quarterfinals.

IHF Member
    Denmark once again learned that you should stay out of the Penalty Box, if you want to secure points at this level...

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marras View Post
    Denmark once again learned that you should stay out of the Penalty Box, if you want to secure points at this level...
    At least they should go into intense training to avoid high sticking and 2+2 penalties (especially when you are already just started playing PK). It is possible to avoid it.
    That really killed any chance for the Danish team giving the Swedes 2 goals and a 4-1 lead.

It's been many times through the years I have just marveled at the stupid decisions Danish teams often make.
    I can understand some penalties.
    But high sticking in the amount we have seen them from the Danish team & an interference at the Swedish blueline, when we have PP building up from our defense are just to undisciplined.

I was at that game, as a matter of fact. Penalties cost the Swiss the game, as they gave up the GWG in OT after taking a fairly dumb high sticking penalty. They did look very inspired in the third period, and scored with 10 seconds left to even get it to OT. I also will say that Norway was limiting shots to where the goalie had a clean look at it, up until the third period.
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
    At least they should go into intense training to avoid high sticking and 2+2 penalties (especially when you are already just started playing PK). It is possible to avoid it.
    That really killed any chance for the Danish team giving the Swedes 2 goals and a 4-1 lead.

It's been many times through the years I have just marveled at the stupid decisions Danish teams often make.

I can understand some penalties.
    But high sticking in the amount we have seen them from the Danish team & an interference at the Swedish blueline, when we have PP building up from our defense are just to undisciplined.
    Unfortunately the same old story and it’s simply not good enough if you want to play in the Top Division, but guess you can say that's what separates Tier I & Tier II countries from a Tier III country like Denmark, that has to fight for relegation each year.

Perhaps a trip to the DIV.1A could help shake things up...
    Last edited by Marras; 09-05-2016 at 08:43.

France - Germany 3:2 n.p. (0:1, 2:1, 0:0, 0:0, 1:0)
    1:0 Damien Raux (3:38)
    1:1 Tobias Rieder
    1:2 Felix Schόtz (36:50)
    2:2 Valentin Claireaux (39:10)
    3:2 Damien Fleury (PS)

Finland - Germany 5:1 (2:0, 2:1, 1:0)
    1:0 Patrik Laine (06:22)
    2:0 Leo Komarov (09:08)
    3:0 Sebastian Aho (29:53)
    4:0 Jarno Koskiranta (37:50)
    4:1 Brooks Macek (38:42)
    5:1 Patrik Laine (59:57)

Well, germans are lucky that they can΄t be relegated this year.
    I am not sure if they are able to win a single game this year, very bad performance so far.

IHF Member
    I don't know if Denmark beating Norway is really that big an upset.
    Norway is #11 in IIHF rankings compared to Denmark at #15...kind of in the same ballpark.

I'm not sure about this but aren't there more Danes in the NHL currently than Norwegians?
    From a Danish perspective it’s an upset in the sense that Denmark has a relatively smaller player-base compared to Norway (half as many junior players to work with) and that the Norwegians in recent years, have performed much better at the international level with 3 quarter-final appearances and playing in back-to-back Olympics (2010 & 2014).

We have also had trouble winning against them in important matches, and Norway is a country Denmark has been trying to catch or at least close the gap on, so a win means a lot.

Nice shots Conesy! What are you doing over in Russia?

I'm still confused about one thing - are both Germany and France automatically safe from relegation this year?

We've all been discussing the impact of artificially strengthening national teams through naturalizing players with no connection to these countries other than their careers taking them there to play for a pro club. The IIHF tournament site addressed the situation with an article. Sadly, the article celebrates the practice. See here: http://www.iihfworlds2016.com/en/new...ountry-player/

IHF Member
    We've all been discussing the impact of artificially strengthening national teams through naturalizing players with no connection to these countries other than their careers taking them there to play for a pro club. The IIHF tournament site addressed the situation with an article. Sadly, the article celebrates the practice. See here: http://www.iihfworlds2016.com/en/new...ountry-player/
    The brief mention of Miroslav Sikora's story, which I was not familiar with, is interesting. It indicates that there is some legal precedence that could require the IIHF to allow players and federations the opportunity to represent other countries.

IHF Member
    I'm still confused about one thing - are both Germany and France automatically safe from relegation this year?
    Yes.

First vpechatelniya from the World Cup:
    Latvia - wow! The first sensation of the tournament. Kazakhstan is very pleased Nazarov able to customize their team. Canada and Finland - the power! It is not clear to me looks Switzerland and Russia. Russia - 7 missed goals in 2 games is a lot, if not idividualno skills of some players, Kazakhstan would not be defeated.

Nice shots Conesy! What are you doing over in Russia?
    Ha, thanks! I was all the way up at the top of VTB Arena, but I'm glad I got a great view . I'll have more pics to share next Sunday, as I'll be at two more games! To answer your question, I've been teaching English for almost two years now.

Well to be honest, I don't get the feel that it celebrates it. Rather just goes through the history of such practice.
    Taro Tsujimoto, the greatest NHL player ever!

The Russian national team won only 1 time out of 7 at the home World Cup, to be honest a lot of confusion in action, it is unclear what to play :(

Russian goal No.4 vs Latvija vas dissalowed for no reason as Mozyakin didn't move the skate while scoring goal.Looks like referees Fonselius S. (Fin), Wehrli T. (Sui) aren't seeing same video as we do....
    JE !! SE !! NI !! CE

Canada trounces Belarus 8-0 with Cam Talbot getting the shutout. Connor McDavid had two assists with the one on Taylor Hall's goal simply sublime. Have a look:

http://www.tsn.ca/must-see/video/mus...ds-hall~865648

Quote Originally Posted by Acroni767 View Post
    Russian goal No.4 vs Latvija vas dissalowed for no reason as Mozyakin didn't move the skate while scoring goal.Looks like referees Fonselius S. (Fin), Wehrli T. (Sui) aren't seeing same video as we do....
    Yes, the goal was the same. Not counted ostensibly because the club does not touch the puck

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alberto View Post
    Canada trounces Belarus 8-0 with Cam Talbot getting the shutout. Connor McDavid had two assists with the one on Taylor Hall's goal simply sublime. Have a look:

Canada has looked like the defending champions they are.
    Three dominant wins so far but the best competition in this group has yet to come.
    Still, I think Canada has an excellent chance to win back to back titles, something Canada hasn't done since 2003-04.

Quote Originally Posted by alberto View Post

McDavid is the real deal. Scary that he is still a teenager. I am not sure I have ever seen anyone with a combination of speed and puck handling ability like him. He has 3 speeds. Fast, Faster, and Fastest. And they are all faster then anyone else.

IHF Member
    So assuming Canada & Finland can maintain their winning ways they meet for first place in the group finale...8 days from now.
    (Although there are plenty of potential missteps prior with SVK probably the most likely).

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wagon View Post
    (Although there are plenty of potential missteps prior with SVK probably the most likely).
    Based on what we've seen against Germany, it might not be all that likely. My comments will not cover the first 17 and a half minutes, which the Chinese state broadcaster considered less important than some completely inconsequential U17 soccer game.

Slovakia. Wow. Other than a few flourishes, they had no momentum and little puck possession against Germany. They didn't seem to have any heart and almost no interest in playing. Slovakia had a minor push when they removed Branislav Konrad but it sadly only lasted until a stupid and unnecessary Michael Sersen penalty on the PP killed whatever momentum they had going. That's not to say the Germans didn't play well, they had with a few errors of their own tossed in, but Slovakia was nowhere in the 2nd and 3rd periods. The Slovaks were lucky to get away with only five goals against as the final horn blew just prior to a German shot crossing the goal line.

I thought what was most telling was the Slovakian supporters the TV broadcasters found as the game slipped away from them. After the fifth German goal, the director found a fully-decked out Slovakian woman who just threw her arms up in the air. That must have summed up the atmosphere for her countrymen.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

Just when I was going to comment on what a nightmare tournament the Swiss were having, and what a great tournament Denmark was having, the Swiss roar back from 2-0 down to claim a regulation 3-2 win. Pretty tight standings so far, though Canada seems far and away to be the best team here. The Swedes seem weaker than usual and Russia is underperforming despite its record. The only teams that look like they can possibly challenge Canada are the Czechs (very unlikely) and the Finns.

Just when I was going to comment on what a nightmare tournament the Swiss were having, and what a great tournament Denmark was having, the Swiss roar back from 2-0 down to claim a regulation 3-2 win. Pretty tight standings so far, though Canada seems far and away to be the best team here. The Swedes seem weaker than usual and Russia is underperforming despite its record. The only teams that look like they can possibly challenge Canada are the Czechs (very unlikely) and the Finns.
    Although that could have been the case, it was an OT win for the Swiss, regulation ended 2-2. Shame though, probably our shot at a QF gone with that loss, and now have to focus on not getting relegated. The two games against Latvia and Kazakhstan will be too exciting now.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information