Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Asian Winter Games

IHF Member

2017 Asian Winter Games

Entries for national teams closed yesterday. I'm hoping for details soon but IIHF Vice President Thomas Wu has said there wiil be more teams than ever. There were 12 teams in 2011.

Geoff

IHF Member
    Apparently Iran will make their international debut at the 2017 Asian Winter Games.

http://thehockeyhouse.net/internatio...ey-tournament/

IHF Member
    That's an interesting one. The possibility of them fielding an ice hockey team has been talked about before because of their participation in 'non-IIHF inline'. Seems as though they will take advantage of the easier eligibility rules and use players who wouldn't be able to play in an IIHF event.

I'll be interested to see what the structure of the event will be. In 2011 they had two divisions which caused some controversy as to whether the lower division winners ( Kyrgyzstan ) had won gold. Kyrgyzstan also fielded some non IIHF eligible team members for what was their international debut.

Geoff
    Quote Originally Posted by Salavat View Post
    Apparently Iran will make their international debut at the 2017 Asian Winter Games.

Last edited by GeoffH; 12-04-2016 at 10:28.

IHF Member
    Advertsing for players from all around the world .....

http://www.worldinlinehockey.org/ira...g-for-players/

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Salavat View Post

IHF Member
    Olympic Committee of Asia reporting that 20 men's teams and 8 women's have entered ;

At Sapporo 2017, for example, Timor-Leste and Vietnam will be among the countries making their AWG debut, while the ice hockey competition has attracted a bumper entry of 28 teams – 20 in the men’s event and eight in the women’s.

“We have received a lot more entries than we expected,” said Hisatsugu Yamazaki, Manager of the Sports Affairs Department of the Sapporo Asian Winter Games Organising Committee.“I am surprised that they play ice hockey in such hot countries. We were expecting about 16 teams in total for the men’s and women’s competitions, but we have 28 now.”

These include Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore from the OCA’s South-East Asia zone, and Qatar and Bahrain from West Asia. Mr Yamazaki believes there are several contributing factors. “Firstly, the International Ice Hockey Federation is trying to develop this sport in countries outside the traditional hockey-playing nations,” he said.

Last time, in 2011, the 12 men's teams were organised into 2 divisions ( 5 plus 7 ). Quite a challenge to organise with 20 teams.

Trying to work out who the 20 might be.

6 Asian teams in this year's IHWC
    Kazakhstan
    Korea
    Japan
    China
    DPR Korea
    Hong Kong
    10 in this year's CCoA
    Chinese Taipei
    UAE
    Mongolia
    Thailand
    Singapore
    Kyrgyzstan
    Malaysia
    Macau
    Qatar
    India
    2 played previously in the CCoA
    Kuwait
    Oman
    1 other IIHF member
    Turkmenistan
    3 in process of joining the IIHF
    Indonesia
    Nepal
    Philippines
    2 non-IIHF members reported as entering
    Iran
    Bahrain
    And maybe others, say, Vietnam .......

I make that 24+ possibles, so 20 entered is very impressive.

Geoff
    Last edited by GeoffH; 28-04-2016 at 13:59.

8 female teams is interesting. I'd venture Hong Kong, Kazakhstan, both Koreas, China, and Japan which is 6 from the IHWC with the other two likely being Chinese Taipei and probably India or Thailand. Thailand are the second best of the CCoA Div I competitors but with the SEA Games taking place, there may not be enough funding for them. That leaves India possible, since Singapore and especially Malaysia will be focused on the SEAG buildup.

It's possible DPR Korea wouldn't send a team as well.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffH View Post
    Olympic Committee of Asia reporting that 20 men's teams and 8 women's have entered ;

At Sapporo 2017, for example, Timor-Leste and Vietnam will be among the countries making their AWG debut, while the ice hockey competition has attracted a bumper entry of 28 teams – 20 in the men’s event and eight in the women’s.

“We have received a lot more entries than we expected,” said Hisatsugu Yamazaki, Manager of the Sports Affairs Department of the Sapporo Asian Winter Games Organising Committee.“I am surprised that they play ice hockey in such hot countries. We were expecting about 16 teams in total for the men’s and women’s competitions, but we have 28 now.”

These include Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore from the OCA’s South-East Asia zone, and Qatar and Bahrain from West Asia. Mr Yamazaki believes there are several contributing factors. “Firstly, the International Ice Hockey Federation is trying to develop this sport in countries outside the traditional hockey-playing nations,” he said.

Last time, in 2011, the 12 men's teams were organised into 2 divisions ( 5 plus 7 ). Quite a challenge to organise with 20 teams.

Trying to work out who the 20 might be.

6 Asian teams in this year's IHWC
    Kazakhstan
    Korea
    Japan
    China
    DPR Korea
    Hong Kong
    10 in this year's CCoA
    Chinese Taipei
    UAE
    Mongolia
    Thailand
    Singapore
    Kyrgyzstan
    Malaysia
    Macau
    Qatar
    India
    2 played previously in the CCoA
    Kuwait
    Oman
    1 other IIHF member
    Turkmenistan
    3 in process of joining the IIHF
    Indonesia
    Nepal
    Philippines
    2 non-IIHF members reported as entering
    Iran
    Bahrain
    And maybe others, say, Vietnam .......

I make that 24+ possibles, so 20 entered is very impressive.

Geoff
    Vietnam and Cambodia send not an icehockey team

Greetings,
    Rowan

IHF Member
    My thoughts on how to organise a 20 team event. The aim should be be minimise the number of one-sided games whilst giving every team, theoretically, a chance of winning 'Gold'.
    The event, at the Games, should be restricted to 8 teams. The top four from the World Championships ( Kazakhstan, Korea. Japan and China ) plus four qualifiers. The qualification would comprise 4 groups of 4 with the winners qualifying for the Games. At the Games there would be a preliminary knock-out round where the seeds meet the qualifiers. The winners playing in the Championship Group and the losers playing for classification 5-8.
    I'm sure they won't do it this way as a big motivation for entering is to actually take part at the Games.

Geoff
    Last edited by GeoffH; 01-05-2016 at 02:21.

IHF Member
    Main ticket sales for the 2017 AWG start on 14th November. I've contacted the ticket sales office and been told that the Ice hockey game schedule will be published at that time. We probably won't know which teams are competing until then.

The Sapporo 2017 website shows that the Ice Hockey program is the least development of any sport ;

http://sapporo2017.org/en/about-event-en/

Geoff

Main ticket sales for the 2017 AWG start on 14th November. I've contacted the ticket sales office and been told that the Ice hockey game schedule will be published at that time. We probably won't know which teams are competing until then.

The Sapporo 2017 website shows that the Ice Hockey program is the least development of any sport ;

http://sapporo2017.org/en/about-event-en/

Geoff
    George of National Teams of Ice Hockey has this list of 16 countries who have apparently confirmed entry:

1 China
    2 Japan
    3 South Korea
    4 North Korea
    5 Kazakhstan
    6 Indonesia
    7 Iran
    8 Philippines
    9 Thailand
    10 Singapore
    11 Hong Kong
    12 Malaysia
    13 Oman
    14 United Arab Emirates
    15 Kuwait
    16 Chinese Taipei
    The Roon Ba
    Results, Fixtures and Rankings in 66 team sports

So, it seems the other 4 will come from these 7:
    Qatar, Bahrain, Mongolia, Macau, India, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan

No idea about the women's tournament. But apparently, there will just be 7 teams.
    The Roon Ba
    Results, Fixtures and Rankings in 66 team sports

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcruic View Post
    So, it seems the other 4 will come from these 7:
    Qatar, Bahrain, Mongolia, Macau, India, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan

No idea about the women's tournament. But apparently, there will just be 7 teams.
    Or maybe he means there will just be the 16. I'd be surprised if Kyrgyzstan and Mongolia didn't play though.

Geoff

Or maybe he means there will just be the 16. I'd be surprised if Kyrgyzstan and Mongolia didn't play though.

Geoff

I compared this to the list I was keeping and found I had Qatar and Bahrain listed as intending to compete, but I can't remember the source any more.

IHF Member

asian wintergames 2017

Quote Originally Posted by fan75 View Post
    I compared this to the list I was keeping and found I had Qatar and Bahrain listed as intending to compete, but I can't remember the source any more.
    Bahrain Ice Hockey team confirm they will Compete at the Asian Winter Games.
    Greetings,
    Rowan

IHF Member
    NToIH reporting that there will be just 5 ( the same 5 as in 2011 ) competing for the medals in the championship. To me this implies no DPR Korea participation. No further news on the total number of teams or structure of the lower division(s).

Geoff

IHF Member
    Looks as though the 14th November will be the next chance to find out which teams are competing as that is when general ticket sales start. The AWG website shows 2 men's divisions and 1 women's.

Geoff

IHF Member

Asian winter games the third group

https://www.pressreader.com/kuwait/kuwait

Article about the third group who play icehockey.
    Greetings,
    Rowan

Looks as though the 14th November will be the next chance to find out which teams are competing as that is when general ticket sales start. The AWG website shows 2 men's divisions and 1 women's.

Geoff

IHF Member

teams are

Qatar
    Kyrgyzstan
    Philippines
    Turkmenistan
    Malaysia
    Macau
    India
    Bahrain
    Indonesia

Quote Originally Posted by rowan View Post
    https://www.pressreader.com/kuwait/kuwait

Greetings,
    Rowan

IHF Member

asian wintergames 2017

and ofcourse kuwait

UOTE=rowan;285661]Qatar
    Kyrgyzstan
    Philippines
    Turkmenistan
    Malaysia
    Macau
    India
    Bahrain
    Indonesia[/QUOTE]

IHF Member
    [QUOTE=rowan;285660]https://www.pressreader.com/kuwait/kuwait

Greetings,
    Rowan[/QUOTE

Thanks for the extract with the list of teams, I couldn't get the link to work for me.
    Does the article say if Kuwait are playing in the second group?
    I wouldn't put them ahead of Kyrgyzstan and Malaysia based on recent results.
    Looks as though Singapore would be lucky to make the second group as well.

I get Kazakhstan, Japan, Korea , China and Chinese Taipei in the top group.

Hong Kong, UAE , Mongolia, Thailand, Kuwait and Singapore in the second and 20 in total ( Iran, DPR Korea and Oman missing ). Nepal are recent IIHF joinees but were never expected to be ready to enter a team

Geoff
    Last edited by GeoffH; 05-11-2016 at 20:29.

IHF Member
    If Kuwait play in the third tier then it looks like Singapore play in the second tier because they played in the higher level of the CCoA last year.

The structure for the AWG would then be ;

Top tier , 5 teams : Kazakhstan, Korea, Japan, China , Chinese Taipei

2nd tier , 5 teams : UAE, Mongolia, Thailand, Singapore, Hong Kong

3rd tier , 10 teams : Kyrgyzstan, Malaysia, Macau, Qatar, India, Kuwait, Indonesia, Philippines, Turkmenistan, Bahrain

Presumably the 3rd tier would be split into 2 groups of 5 with play-offs for final ranking.

Good to see so many teams and so many national teams making their competitive debut.

Odd that after all the publicity it seems that Iran will not be there.

DPR Korea and Oman who both might have been expected to enter are also missing.

Geoff
    Last edited by GeoffH; 06-11-2016 at 19:43.

IHF Member
    Some more information now available with ticket sales starting.

There is a playing schedule but no names of participants !

Men's competition being played in three divisions at three separate arenas/rinks. The Top Division shares an arena with the Women's event.

Top Division is a round robin with just three playing days, so presumably comprises just four teams. I'm assuming Chinese Taipei has either dropped out or hopefully dropped down to the next division.

Division I is a round robin with 5 playing days so could be 5 or 6 teams.

Division II has plenty of playing days and looks like two round robins of 5 or 6 teams. There are play-offs between the top teams and the second place teams to finish.

Geoff

IHF Prospect
    Some more information now available with ticket sales starting.

There is a playing schedule but no names of participants !

Men's competition being played in three divisions at three separate arenas/rinks. The Top Division shares an arena with the Women's event.

Top Division is a round robin with just three playing days, so presumably comprises just four teams. I'm assuming Chinese Taipei has either dropped out or hopefully dropped down to the next division.

Division I is a round robin with 5 playing days so could be 5 or 6 teams.

Division II has plenty of playing days and looks like two round robins of 5 or 6 teams. There are play-offs between the top teams and the second place teams to finish.

Geoff
    20 teams total.

4 teams in top division

6 teams in division 1

10 teams in division 2

6 teams in the women's competition

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by intoronto1125 View Post
    20 teams total.

4 teams in top division

6 teams in division 1

10 teams in division 2

Thanks for that, sounds good. Is your source able to confirm which national teams are playing ?

IHF Prospect
    Thanks for that, sounds good. Is your source able to confirm which national teams are playing ?
    No unfortunately.

IHF Member
    20 teams total.

4 teams in top division

6 teams in division 1

10 teams in division 2

So Division 2 will be two groups of 5 each playing a round robin. The two top teams play off for 11th/12th places and the two second placed teams play off for 13th/14th.

I think in 2011 they awarded 'medals' for the lower division but these didn't count in the overall medal table.

Geoff

IHF Prospect
    Division 2 teams:

Qatar, Bahrain, Kyrgyzstan, Philippines, Turkmenistan, Malaysia, Macau, India. Kuwait and Indonesia

IHF Member
    Division 2 teams:

Qatar, Bahrain, Kyrgyzstan, Philippines, Turkmenistan, Malaysia, Macau, India. Kuwait and Indonesia
    Thanks for the information, confirms Iran won't be there after all. Do you know which teams are in each group ?

Geoff

IHF Prospect
    Thanks for the information, confirms Iran won't be there after all. Do you know which teams are in each group ?

Geoff
    Not yet, I will keep this forum posted if I hear of anything.

It appears Iran is not allowed to compete as they are not a member of the IIHF officially.

IHF Member
    Not yet, I will keep this forum posted if I hear of anything.

It appears Iran is not allowed to compete as they are not a member of the IIHF officially.
    Don't think that is the reason as Bahrain are not IIHF members either. The AWGs are run by the Olympic Council of Asia not the IIHF.

Geoff

Don't think that is the reason as Bahrain are not IIHF members either. The AWGs are run by the Olympic Council of Asia not the IIHF.
    As an international tournament, doesn't the IIHF sanction or authorize the event, such as selecting the on-ice officials and like matters? The IIHF Bylaws allow games to take place between members and non-members, so as you said that shouldn't be the reason why Iran aren't participating.

Iran put out a request for any Iranian ice hockey players to join their selection camp. The OCA only require participating athletes to hold a passport of their nation as opposed to the IIHF's 2/4-year eligibility requirement. Is it possible that chosen players didn't actually have, or cannot get in time, Iranian passports? The India example could also apply. 6 years ago, India were all set and ready to go but the NOC rejected the IHAI and their subsequent attempt to self-fund participation in Kazakhstan. Perhaps the Iranian NOC has done the same, preferring the team play in a tournament and proving themselves first?

IHF Prospect

Geoff
    Looks like only 19 made the final cut

Japan, China, Chinese Taipei, South Korea, Mongolia, Macau and Hong Kong - East Asia
    Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand - Southeast Asia
    Bahrain, Qatar, Kuwait (competing independently) and UAE - Middle east
    Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan - Central Asia

Looks like India withdrew from the men's tournament.

Women's: South Korea, China, Japan, Kazakhstan and Thailand

IHF Member
    Looks like only 19 made the final cut

Japan, China, Chinese Taipei, South Korea, Mongolia, Macau and Hong Kong - East Asia
    Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand - Southeast Asia
    Bahrain, Qatar, Kuwait (competing independently) and UAE - Middle east
    Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan - Central Asia

Looks like India withdrew from the men's tournament.

Shame about India, they are always struggling for funding so shortage of money is probably the reason.

Like Trim, my guess would be that Iran couldn't get a strong enough team due to eligibility and passport issues.

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by intooronto1125
    Some of those scores could get ugly. Japan are clear favorites coming in. The battle for silver could be quite intense at least.
    Shame about India, they are always struggling for funding so shortage of money is probably the reason.
    Hopefully India will still have a Challenge Cup to compete for. Their passion alone deserves competitive international games. Unfortunately there isn't any news yet about that on the IIHF's Asia page. Outside of the CCoA, it would be good to see India and Nepal play against each other, even if it is in their spartan conditions.

Originally we suspected eight teams would compete in the women's tournament but we're left with five. If funding has knocked India's men out then just as well it could have done the same to a planned women's entry. Chinese Taipei and Hong Kong are likely focusing on their World Championship efforts while Malaysia and Singapore presumably concentrating on the SEA Games. The loss of any of these nations will have largely eliminated Thailand's closest potential competition.

I bring that up here because, as several of us have suspected, with the SEA Games including hockey and the Asian Winter Games, nearly every Asian hockey nation has a big event, possibly with NOC financial support, to compete in. That could cause the loss of the IIHF Challenge Cups in every division; a massive loss for India as they won't be travelling to Sapporo.

According to http://nationalteamsoficehockey.com/ while India is out, Iran is in.

IHF Member
    According to http://nationalteamsoficehockey.com/ while India is out, Iran is in.
    Yes, saw that. Still no official statement on who is playing. Guess we'll know when the games start !

Geoff

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trim View Post
    Some of those scores could get ugly. Japan are clear favorites coming in. The battle for silver could be quite intense at least.

Hopefully India will still have a Challenge Cup to compete for. Their passion alone deserves competitive international games. Unfortunately there isn't any news yet about that on the IIHF's Asia page. Outside of the CCoA, it would be good to see India and Nepal play against each other, even if it is in their spartan conditions.

Originally we suspected eight teams would compete in the women's tournament but we're left with five. If funding has knocked India's men out then just as well it could have done the same to a planned women's entry. Chinese Taipei and Hong Kong are likely focusing on their World Championship efforts while Malaysia and Singapore presumably concentrating on the SEA Games. The loss of any of these nations will have largely eliminated Thailand's closest potential competition.

I bring that up here because, as several of us have suspected, with the SEA Games including hockey and the Asian Winter Games, nearly every Asian hockey nation has a big event, possibly with NOC financial support, to compete in. That could cause the loss of the IIHF Challenge Cups in every division; a massive loss for India as they won't be travelling to Sapporo.
    I've seen reports of Thailand hosting the CCoA and Kuwait hosting Division 1. Hope it goes ahead with plenty of teams, although the lack of official news is worrying.

Geoff

IHF Prospect
    As of Nov 30, Iran is not in. It is also past the entry deadline so I doubt they are allowed to compete.

Iran National Hockey page on Facebook confirmed team will play at Sapporo, reporting also the entry roster, so I suppose the partecipation is official https://www.facebook.com/IranHockey

IHF Member
    Eurohockey also showing Iran playing and showing different teams in Division 1.

Hard to see why Singapore and Malaysia would be in Division 1 and Mongolia and Kyrgyzstan in Division 2.

Geoff

IHF Member
    The official Sapporo site has now confirmed 19 teams in the Men's event and 5 in the Women's. Unfortunately it's in Japanese and I haven't worked out how to translate it !!

https://sapporo2017.org/site/news/1201.html

IHF Member
    The official Sapporo site has now confirmed 19 teams in the Men's event and 5 in the Women's. Unfortunately it's in Japanese and I haven't worked out how to translate it !!

https://sapporo2017.org/site/news/1201.html
    According to that page, the men's ice hockey teams are: Japan, China, Hong Kong, Korea, Macau, Mongolia, Taiwan, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Bahrain, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, and Turkmenistan.

Iran not listed for men's ice hockey.

IHF Member
    The event schedule on the official AWG site is now showing individual games but still no team details.

Top Division shows 6 games i.e. 4 team round robin.

Division 1 shows 15 games i.e. 6 team round robin.

Division 2 shows 20 preliminary games i.e. 2 X 5 team round robins plus 2 play-off games.

Geoff

The event schedule on the official AWG site is now showing individual games but still no team details.

Top Division shows 6 games i.e. 4 team round robin.

Division 1 shows 15 games i.e. 6 team round robin.

Division 2 shows 20 preliminary games i.e. 2 X 5 team round robins plus 2 play-off games.

Geoff
    Seems a bit silly that the presumably "unofficial" Division 2 will have medal games when the medals that count in the Top Division won't. I can understand why they've done it this way however.

I am very excited that all the Division II games played at the Hoshioki rink will be free admission. I'm guessing this means we'll see school groups come out and that is very encouraging.

IHF Member
    It's because there are two groups in Division 2. I agree having the medals decided after just 3 games each in the Top Division feels wrong.

Geoff

IHF Prospect
    Iran's men's team and Hong Kong's women's team are now confirmed to compete.

IHF Member
    Iran's men's team and Hong Kong's women's team are now confirmed to compete.
    Thanks, excellent news. Showing on the official AWG website.

https://sapporo2017.org/uploaded/attachment/5148.pdf

Note that Kuwait has to compete as Independent Olympic Athletes since their NOC has been suspended for many years due to lack of independence from the government.

Geoff

Geoff

Turkmenistan national team played a friendly game against country champion Ashgabat as preparation for Winter Games, winning 12-2 before to fly to Minsk to complete the traning camp for Sapporo 2017

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide View Post
    Turkmenistan national team played a friendly game against country champion Ashgabat as preparation for Winter Games, winning 12-2 before to fly to Minsk to complete the traning camp for Sapporo 2017
    They could turn out to be very strong at the level they are playing. Could be like Kyrgyzstan 6 years ago if they are taking advantage of the easier eligibility rules that apply in this non IIHF event.

Geoff

IHF Member
    Full schedule now published on AWG website. Mongolia in Div I and Malaysia in Div II, along with Kyrgyzstan. Note that Independent Olympic Athletes is Kuwait ! Format is still three divisions, 4 plus 6 plus 2x5.

Geoff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information