Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2017 Asian Winter Games

IHF Member
    Division I finishes today and the others tomorrow.

Thailand clinched top spot and 5th overall with a 14-0 win over winless Singapore.

Chinese Taipei finished 2nd ( 6th ) after beating Mongolia 6-2.

Hong Kong are currently 1-0 ahead against UAE in the game that will decide third in the Division.

Geoff

IHF Member
    UAE defeated Hong Kong 5-3 to clinch 3rd in the division.

Mongolia 4th and Hong Kong surprisingly down in 5th with 4 defeats in five games.

Geoff

IHF Member
    Congrats to the Japanese women for winning that first gold medal after earning 5 silvers in as many tournaments since 1996. If we needed a proof of the increasing gap between them and former Worlds' top division participants China and Kazakhstan, we surely have it now.

Even if that tournament won't stop their detractors, you have to recognize the improvement made by the Koreans. They won their first games ever in AWG action after 15 losses since 1999 including their first ever win over China. They went 1-2 and 3GF/6GA against the top 3 which by the way they faced over 4 days without "rest games" in betwwen. In comparison six years ago they went 0-3 and 0GF/31GA plus a 6-1 loss to North Korea. They are also the only team to have "bothered" Japan recording almost 80% of SOG the hosts faced over the entire tournament.

As for Thailand and Hong Kong, we can only hope there will be more teams in future AWG so a Division I can be set up for lower teams.

IHF Member
    Two minutes of play and already 2-0 for Kazakhstan. It's gonna be a long game for the Japenese

IHF Member
    Last day's play today. Great to see so many teams competing with 24 teams from 18 nations.

KAZ 7 JAP 0
    KOR 10 CHN 0

TKM 7 KGZ 3
    PHI 9 MAC 2

Strong finishes to fine debut tournaments for Turkmenistan and Philippines.

My thoughts after the event ;

Hope there will be similar events in future. There are no further AWGs planned but perhaps an 'Asian Olympic Committee Ice Hockey Championships' can be run as a stand alone event or as part of one of the other Asian multi-sport events.

Shame about the eligibility mix up with Iran but they couldn't be allowed to play by different rules to the others. Hope they will join the IIHF and play internationally in due course.

Eligibility will continue to be an issue for the IIHF events later this year. Stricter rules will apply so some teams may have weaker squads.
    I'll look out for Thailand, Turkmenistan and Philippines in particular.

All the men's teams have further tournaments later this year.
    11 of the AWG teams compete in the CCoA and will be joined by Oman and India.
    7 of the AWG teams are due to compete in the IHWC, although I expect the UAE to again withdraw having done both the AWG and the CCoA.
    Indonesia will wait for the SE Asia Games in September where they will meet Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore and Philippines.

Geoff

P.S. good coverage on IIHF.com
    Last edited by GeoffH; 26-02-2017 at 12:33.

IHF Member
    Further good coverage on IIHF.com with features on Qatar and Iran. Not surprisingly they take the OCA line on eligibility. Now on to Bangkok for the CCoA with the Women's event next week on the Men's the week after.

Geoff

IHF Member
    Some last thoughts on AWG 17.

Good to see such a large event taking place and new national teams entering the international arena.

This could be the last AWG although, apparently talks have started with an unnamed Chinese city about hosting another games.

Eligibility was a major issue as it often is. Doesn't help that the OCA and the IIHF have different qualification rules. Will be interesting to see if the teams that performed above expections at the AWG can do as well at the CCoA with IIHF eligibility rules.

I think that any future AWG Ice Hockey tournament should be restricted to a single division with all teams competing for medals. Having the lower divisions could have allowed non-IIHF members to participate but in the end it didn't work out for Iran or Bahrain. A single group of 5 or 6 teams would be more manageable. For the weaker national teams there is the annual CCoA.

Cheers. Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffH View Post
    This could be the last AWG although, apparently talks have started with an unnamed Chinese city about hosting another games.
    There aren't that many possibilities but with the OCA having moved the AWG to the pre-Olympic year, it wouldn't surprise me to see Beijing get it as a means to hold their demonstration events. That said, there are a few other cities that could host (Qiqihar has never hosted while Ürümqi hosted the Chinese national winter games in the last few years).
    I think that any future AWG Ice Hockey tournament should be restricted to a single division with all teams competing for medals. Having the lower divisions could have allowed non-IIHF members to participate but in the end it didn't work out for Iran or Bahrain. A single group of 5 or 6 teams would be more manageable. For the weaker national teams there is the annual CCoA.

Cheers. Geoff
    I agree that all teams should be allowed to compete for medals but I fear that without participating under the NOC's umbrella, we could lose teams like Indonesia. As seen with The Star coverage of the Malaysian team, playing in the AWG earns more coverage and that can sell the sport to new people than the Challenge Cup of Asia has provided.

The main restrictions here are the number of ice pads and number of days. I don't care much for the Divisions but there is such a disparity in the top 6 or 8 countries - keep in mind China didn't score so much as a single goal in the men's top division - but having a qualification tournament(s) to establish seeds would be better. Singapore were badly outclassed in Division I and may have been inferior to 3 or 4 of the Division II teams. Qualifying, sadly, means more expenses and that by itself could eliminate several participants.

I would like to see more women's teams play to build a Division I on their side, the scores between Hong Kong and Thailand against the four more established programs were painful but expected.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

IHF Member
    Thanks Trim, I agree that the AWG has played a key role in bringing new national teams into competition. Actually going to the games has generated a lot of publicity. I still feel the time has come to reduce the number of teams, we still don't know when the next AWG will be. My feeling is that it will be later than 2021.
    I would favour using the CCoA and the IHWC as qualifiers for the AWG. One format and there are many, would involve 12 teams. All teams playing in the IHWC , currently 8 , plus the next 4 from the CCoA would be involved. The top 4 seeds would go automatically into the medal group, the other 8 would play a play off round a couple of days before the opening ceremony. This would leave a division of 8 which would be played as 2 groups of four with the top 2 in each going into the SFs. The 4 teams losing in the play off round would play a round robin for places 9 to 12.
    So if the next games were in 2021, the 2019 and 2020 CCoA events would be qualifiers. A new team could enter the CCoA for the first time in 2019 and still, at least theoretically, make it to the AWG.

Geoff

Thanks Trim, I agree that the AWG has played a key role in bringing new national teams into competition. Actually going to the games has generated a lot of publicity. I still feel the time has come to reduce the number of teams, we still don't know when the next AWG will be. My feeling is that it will be later than 2021.
    I would favour using the CCoA and the IHWC as qualifiers for the AWG. One format and there are many, would involve 12 teams. All teams playing in the IHWC , currently 8 , plus the next 4 from the CCoA would be involved. The top 4 seeds would go automatically into the medal group, the other 8 would play a play off round a couple of days before the opening ceremony. This would leave a division of 8 which would be played as 2 groups of four with the top 2 in each going into the SFs. The 4 teams losing in the play off round would play a round robin for places 9 to 12.
    So if the next games were in 2021, the 2019 and 2020 CCoA events would be qualifiers. A new team could enter the CCoA for the first time in 2019 and still, at least theoretically, make it to the AWG.

Geoff
    Innovative format but it would lead to a handful of ugly scores, which is the very reason the AWG Divisions were established to avoid, though I like the placement round robin. The proposed medal round, including playoffs, would take eight days. This year's AWG was an eight-day event (nine, with the first day of curling and ice hockey before the opening ceremonies). It certainly could fit. It would also reduce arena needs to only two rinks for ice hockey, I think.

-1 - 5-12 Seeding playoffs (4 games, likely requires two arenas with a late afternoon and evening match at each)
    1 - Opening ceremony, no ice hockey games.
    2 - Medal Round Robin Day 1 (4 games)
    3 - Placement Round Robin Day 1 (2 games)
    4 - Medal Round Robin Day 2 (4 games)
    5 - Medal Round Robin Day 3 (4 games)
    6 - Placement Round Robin Day 2 (2 games)
    7 - Medal Round Semifinals (2 games), Placement Round Robin Day 3 (2 games)
    8 - Men's Medal Games (bronze in the early afternoon, gold in the mid-afternoon. That should get us done before the closing ceremony.)

Women's games could fit in the following ways:
    4 team round robin - 2 games per day on days -1, 3 and 6. Medal games could be played, if desired by the organizers, on day 7 or 8.
    6 team round robin - 2 groups of three teams playing on -1, 3 and 6. Medal games on 7 or 8.
    8 team round robin - 2 groups of four teams playing on -1 (2 games in Pool B), 2 (2 games in Pool A), 3 (4 games), 5 (2 games Pool B), and 6 (2 early afternoon games in Pool A). Day 8 would have the women's medal games.

Unless I'm very much mistaken (probably am!), the maximum number of games per arena in those scenarios would be three, no different than a World Championship at the Division level. Having somewhere between 16 and 20 teams sharing one practice rink would be rather messy and might require a fourth ice pad anyway.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information