Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kontinental Hockey League 2016/2017 (transfers, news, discussions)

Quote Originally Posted by Conesy via KHL View Post
    "In the end, four locals – defenseman Zach Yuen"
    I wouldn't consider him entirely local, seeing as he's an ECHL-experienced player from Vancouver.

It's somewhat humorous that the league now has Russian, English, and now Chinese websites. Nevermind ignoring Croatian, Finnish, Latvian, and Slovakian (though in fairness, most people from those nations learn English at a young age).

Kunlun Red Star's website is now online and it is only in Russian. So you have two fully professional teams in China, Kunlun Red Star and China Dragon of ALIH. Dragon's website is only in Japanese. Kunlun's is only in Russian. Facepalm ensues.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

Quote Originally Posted by Trim View Post

It's somewhat humorous that the league now has Russian, English, and now Chinese websites. Nevermind ignoring Croatian, Finnish, Latvian, and Slovakian (though in fairness, most people from those nations learn English at a young age).

Kunlun Red Star's website is now online and it is only in Russian. So you have two fully professional teams in China, Kunlun Red Star and China Dragon of ALIH. Dragon's website is only in Japanese. Kunlun's is only in Russian. Facepalm ensues.
    Definitely building that local support, eh?
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

IHF Member
    Amur needs to start getting points, if not then it's going to be a long season and the Finns will not see the christmas in Khabarovsk. Dynamo Moscow and Avtomobilist have promised me the most! Avto started strongly last year aswell, but fell into 7th at the end. Medvescak has surprised me and Spartak's attacking style is nice to watch. They finally have a shot to get into playoffs, I think atleast. Kunlun Red Star impress me aswell! Only being on map for 2 months and the gameplay looks that good already? Props to Jurzinov and the staff.

Finally Jokerit... not the best of starts, gameplay looks like it's all over the place and going forward is not existing. From the bottom of the cake; the new foreigners have not impressed me all (el. Genoway) and also Keränen have been such a BIG waste. I guess he's not seeing the first international break here.
    #28 Jani Rita

Kunlun beat Admiral 6-3 at home, and they're now 2-0 to start the season

IHF Prospect
    I wouldn't consider him entirely local, seeing as he's an ECHL-experienced player from Vancouver.

If China Dragon actually bothered to make a website and put it in Japanese would be a start. It's a fan site run!

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Watching the highlights, it doesn't look like Kunlun's been getting an exceptional turnout for their home games

Quote Originally Posted by Conesy View Post
    Watching the highlights, it doesn't look like Kunlun's been getting an exceptional turnout for their home games
    They had a very respectable attendance of 7800 in their first and only game in Beijing. They now had to move to Shanghai for 11 home games due to arena inavaibility, where far less people seem to have an interest in hockey. 1700 against Lada Togliatti, 550 vs Nefthekimsk and 1500 against Kazan are not great numbers for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilHell37 View Post
    They had a very respectable attendance of 7800 in their first and only game in Beijing. They now had to move to Shanghai for 11 home games due to arena inavaibility, where far less people seem to have an interest in hockey. 1700 against Lada Togliatti, 550 vs Nefthekimsk and 1500 against Kazan are not great numbers for sure.
    Bit of a shame, yeah. Doesn't exactly bode well for their future.

It's interesting, but according to the Estonian Federation's Facebook page, Riga will be playing two games in Tallinn. Estonia definitely has been pushing to get a team/expand hockey in their country, that's for sure.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/highest...194200052.html
    Interesting article from Puck Daddy, and again, this list is without bonuses included.

Scandalous coach Andrei Nazarov headed Neftekhimik and already achieved victory over Yugra 2: 1 in his first match

Tonight's Kunlun-Barys game was fairly one sided, 5-1 for the boys in red. Tomas Marcinko picked up a pair of goals. Nigel Dawes' goal went in off the stick of Sean Collins, so all goals went in off Kunlun sticks.

If anybody would be passing through China, Kunlun can be a frustrating club. There is no promotion even near the LeSports Center, tickets have to be bought outside the first of two security checkpoints - yet there isn't a ticket booth anywhere which means dealing with scalpers. I ended up getting a suite seat for 20 yuan (under 3 euros). In this modern arena, which also hosts concerts and Beijing's top basketball team in the basketball-loving country, there is extremely limited food options, compromised further that fans cannot take arena-sold food into the seating areas, and a complete lack of merchandise, most of which is sold at outrageous prices. A t-shirt with a poorly screened team logo would set you back about 25 euros, a blank team jersey would fetch for 82 euros, and most clothing is extremely limited by size. I tried to buy a jersey but the only one they had was the display model, naturally not for sale.

Not like they have been selling hard, the last game in Beijing was 5 September.

Tonight's Kunlun-Barys game was fairly one sided, 5-1 for the boys in red. Tomas Marcinko picked up a pair of goals. Nigel Dawes' goal went in off the stick of Sean Collins, so all goals went in off Kunlun sticks.

If anybody would be passing through China, Kunlun can be a frustrating club. There is no promotion even near the LeSports Center, tickets have to be bought outside the first of two security checkpoints - yet there isn't a ticket booth anywhere which means dealing with scalpers. I ended up getting a suite seat for 20 yuan (under 3 euros). In this modern arena, which also hosts concerts and Beijing's top basketball team in the basketball-loving country, there is extremely limited food options, compromised further that fans cannot take arena-sold food into the seating areas, and a complete lack of merchandise, most of which is sold at outrageous prices. A t-shirt with a poorly screened team logo would set you back about 25 euros, a blank team jersey would fetch for 82 euros, and most clothing is extremely limited by size. I tried to buy a jersey but the only one they had was the display model, naturally not for sale.

Not like they have been selling hard, the last game in Beijing was 5 September.
    Yeah, doesn't seem like they're destined to last long in the league.

IHF Member
    What part of the playing field Russians call "pyatachka"?

Several weeks late, but on December 1st Slava Malamud tweeted that Kunlun set a Shanghai attendance record, with 2,461 fans. Yikes.

IHF Member
    Chinese investors are buying 49% of Jokerit franchise. That would be huge for money transfer and hopefully budget's gonna rise. Nothing confirmed yey, but Kauppalehti writes that there's a "confidental agreement" made.
    #28 Jani Rita

Quote Originally Posted by Mikke View Post
    Chinese investors are buying 49% of Jokerit franchise. That would be huge for money transfer and hopefully budget's gonna rise. Nothing confirmed yey, but Kauppalehti writes that there's a "confidental agreement" made.
    Instead of investing in Kunlun... interesting.

Instead of investing in Kunlun... interesting.
    Bet that says a lot about the hockey climate there, eh?

Found an interesting article on the comically bad behind-the-scenes management of Kunlun: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle33379877/

Quote Originally Posted by Conesy View Post
    Found an interesting article on the comically bad behind-the-scenes management of Kunlun: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle33379877/
    How many of the management team can skate? “Not many,” says Liao, who previously worked in private equity, managing international mergers and acquisitions. “The entire team, including myself, is from an investment finance background.”
    “It’s a high-contact sport, which is liked by Chinese audiences as well. And it’s easier to understand,” Liao says. Look at the $4-billion (U.S.) offer by a Chinese group for Ultimate Fighting Championship. “Chinese audiences like intense sports,” she says.
    The author acknowledges the team management come from investment banking and then tosses in the UFC offer to justify that "Chinese audiences like intense sports." Does this journalist not realize they're just going to try milking it for money? China is only about that, I'm sorry. Look at the Chinese group that threw money into buying Team Aguri in the FIA Formula E Championship. They don't care about results, they just want to make money off of it. The old motorsport adage, however, is "to make a small fortune in motorsport, start with a large fortune." Kunlun would be the same way but they'll never make money on a KHL team. The situation the writer relays is about games in Shanghai but Beijing's aren't any better. As I've said before, there is absolutely no attempt to market the team or the sport. Merchandise is limited both in quantity and variety, yet the quality isn't even very good. For example, my official team hat's logo is off center. Even inside the arena, they don't have any promotional films playing on the scoreboard during intermission other than the season introduction clip produced by the league. No graphics are produced for the scoreboard to show statistics or anything else. The KHL-TV feed is piped into the scoreboard and that's it.

Their definition of "intense" is different from ours too. Ping pong is big here. I could see how they find it intense, but ice hockey is a totally different intensity.

Playoffs are set now:
    West
    1. CSKA vs. 8. Jokerit
    2. SKA vs. 7 Vityaz
    3. Dynamo Moscow vs. 6. Torpedo
    4. Lokomotiv vs. 5. Dynamo Minsk

East
    1. Metallurg Magnitogorsk vs. 8. Kunlun
    2. Avangard vs. 7. Admiral
    3. Ak Bars vs. 6. Salavat Yulaev
    4. Traktor vs. 5. Barys

IHF Member Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
    Some other view from China:

http://thehockeywriters.com/andrey-m...life-in-china/

Have a good read!
    My articles at The Hockey Writers

IHF Member
    Medvescak Zagreb leaves KHL and returns to EBEL: http://www.erstebankliga.at/news/?id/10657/45973

Per their Twitter account, Jokerit has confirmed that they will be in the KHL for at least the next five seasons.

SKA has won the Gagarin Cup by a score of 4-1 against Metallurg Magnitogorsk. I'm actually surprised that it was a fairly one sided series.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information