Thread: 2016 Stanley Cup Final: Pittsburgh vs San Jose

NHL 2016 Stanley Cup Final: Pittsburgh vs San Jose

Not sure about anyone else, but I am very much looking forward to this series. The two teams involved are red hot (I guess that's why they are there), and some great story lines;

- Crosby back in the finals for first time since 2009
    - Thornton / Marleau get a chance at their first Cup after many years in the league. They also get a chance to remove the monkey off their back that says they can't "win the big one."
    - I love the style of these 2 teams - speed, speed, and more speed.

Predictions?
    Penguins in 7

I'm not a Sharks fan, but I loathe the Penguins. I do think the Penguins take it in six games. With that said, go Sharks!

The last few years have proven great teams can win Cups or at least make the finals with average NHL goaltenders. This year hammers that point home.

Crawford elite? No. Bishop? No. Murray or Jones? No. The only truly elite goalies in the finals over the past 5-7 years have been Quick and Lundqvist.

The last few years have also proven that to win Cups you need two big guns on offense, not just one.

Can't put my finger on why, but this years Cup final seems to lack something. The games are not that entertaining to watch. Seems to me there are a lot of broken plays. Perhaps the speed is so high, players simply don't have the time and space to make pretty plays.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    The last few years have proven great teams can win Cups or at least make the finals with average NHL goaltenders. This year hammers that point home.
    Well, is it any bloody wonder average goaltenders can look great on championship teams?
    Half the time their work is done for them by the five skaters in front of them.
    Tell me, who doesn't block shots these days?
    Guys who used to sacrifice their bodies were a rarity at one time but now it is commonplace and expected.
    Typically out of 35-45 shots taken by a team in a game only half actually get through.
    Coupled with the fact you can trap lobsters in those gloves goalies use and the generally oversized equipment it's a wonder any goals are scored.

I just wonder how many of today's netminding heroes would have even taken up the sport had they played goal barefaced like Worsley, Sawchuk, Bower and Hall and all those other goalies before Jacques Plante came up with his brilliant idea.
    It took big stones (and maybe a loose screw) to tend goal back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Heatleysucks View Post
    I just wonder how many of today's netminding heroes would have even taken up the sport had they played goal barefaced like Worsley, Sawchuk, Bower and Hall and all those other goalies before Jacques Plante came up with his brilliant idea. It took big stones (and maybe a loose screw) to tend goal back in the day.
    I agree those hall of farmers had a lot of courage to play bare faced but it isn't exactly an apples to apples comparison to today. In the 50's when most of these guys were at their peak, the shots were no where near the velocity they are now and each team had maybe 2-3 guys who could shoot it half decent. With today's speeds, it's doubtful any of these former players would have dared play without a mask for fear of serious injury of even death

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ref72 View Post
    I agree those hall of farmers had a lot of courage to play bare faced but it isn't exactly an apples to apples comparison to today. In the 50's when most of these guys were at their peak, the shots were no where near the velocity they are now and each team had maybe 2-3 guys who could shoot it half decent. With today's speeds, it's doubtful any of these former players would have dared play without a mask for fear of serious injury of even death
    Oh no question today's shooters are far more lethal than back then.
    God, you would be safer jaywalking across the Autobahn than to play barefaced in the NHL today.
    But that era still had guys who could shoot the puck scary hard and fast.
    Bobby Hull, Bernie Geoffrion and even Stan Mikita with that wicked banana hook would be still as fast as today's best shooters.
    Even those players who had 'softer' shots...well, frozen pucks made of vulcanized rubber still hurt.

And even though the mask slowly came into vogue in the 60's they still provided only minimal protection compared to today's sophisticated head gear.
    Look at those flimsy things Cheevers, Tony Esposito, Sawchuk and even Ken Dryden wore and none of them would be allowed to be used today.

What is really amazing to me is that when Plante finally got fed up with all the stitches and donned that crude mask, his coach Toe Blake openly criticized him for it.
    The mindset back then was incredibly primitive.

IHF Member
    That mindset was cultivated by everyone back then, players included. And it's crazy to think that despite Masterton's death in 1968, it would take another 11 years before the NHL decide to make helmets mandatory for every players signing a first contract from 1979 onwards with older players able to keep playing without headgear, Craig McTavish being the last one when he retired in 1997. Sometimes you have to wonder how there wasn't more serious accidents.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    I'm not a Sharks fan, but I loathe the Penguins. I do think the Penguins take it in six games. With that said, go Sharks!

Crawford elite? No. Bishop? No. Murray or Jones? No. The only truly elite goalies in the finals over the past 5-7 years have been Quick and Lundqvist.

The last few years have also proven that to win Cups you need two big guns on offense, not just one.
    You nailed it. Pittsburgh needed six games but looking behind, it seems to me that Sharks were never in the position to seriously challenge the Penguins. If it weren't for Jones it would have been all over in game five if not earlier. San Jose's offense was non-existant and it never solved the blocking tactics used by Pittsburgh. I mean, almost half the shots fired by Sharks ended in the bodies of Penguins' team. San Jose power play was abysmall. They skated slowly, their passes were slow to come and unprecise. I cheered for San Jose and its "old guns" but they were three or four years late to the party. They never had a chance against Pittsburgh.

Quote Originally Posted by Drax View Post
    You nailed it. Pittsburgh needed six games but looking behind, it seems to me that Sharks were never in the position to seriously challenge the Penguins. If it weren't for Jones it would have been all over in game five if not earlier. San Jose's offense was non-existant and it never solved the blocking tactics used by Pittsburgh. I mean, almost half the shots fired by Sharks ended in the bodies of Penguins' team. San Jose power play was abysmall. They skated slowly, their passes were slow to come and unprecise. I cheered for San Jose and its "old guns" but they were three or four years late to the party. They never had a chance against Pittsburgh.
    Unfortunaetly, this is 100% correct !

Thread Information