Thread: Asia League 2016/17

Icon107 Asia League 2016/17

The Asia League Ice Hockey 2016-17 schedule has been announced. All nine teams from last season's campaign are returning.

Daemyung Sangmu has been rechristened Daemyung Killer Whales. The league has not updated their website other than the news story about the schedule but hopefully they have a kick ass logo to go with that name.

China Dragon will continue to drag itself through the bottom of the league standings despite the possibility of the team being folded in deference to China's KHL entry. Dragon will play out of Qiqihar except for six games in Beijing and three in Shanghai.

February will be a quick month around the AL with just five games played between the 2nd and 5th. The 24-day layoff is in place because Sapporo is hosting the 2017 Asian Winter Games which affects the Asia League, naturally.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

If China want to try and build an Olympic team, having a AL team to go with their KHL (and presumably VHL) team(s), would give their players a chance to maybe grow into something resembling Olympic-level players (that is, if they actually bother with development as opposed to just handing out passports)... *shrug*

I search good quality pictures for my cyberfaces makers friends about these chinese players on this roster http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.p...r0=&team=22214

IHF Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Trim View Post
    China Dragon will continue to drag itself through the bottom of the league standings despite the possibility of the team being folded in deference to China's KHL entry. Dragon will play out of Qiqihar except for six games in Beijing and three in Shanghai.
    Two questions:

Is it a requirement that every KHL club must have a VHL affiliate, or could Red Star use Dragon as their reserve side instead?

If Dragon folds (or should I say, breathes its last) is there any kind of league setup in China, or is the Asia League the only organised hockey that the top Chinese players can aim for?

Quote Originally Posted by BhamJohn View Post
    Two questions:

Is it a requirement that every KHL club must have a VHL affiliate, or could Red Star use Dragon as their reserve side instead?

If Dragon folds (or should I say, breathes its last) is there any kind of league setup in China, or is the Asia League the only organised hockey that the top Chinese players can aim for?
    I don't think every KHL requires a VHL affiliate but I'm not sure. I know Barys Astana have brought players through their own program with Nomad in the Kazakh league but I believe they are affiliated with one of the Kazakh VHL teams anyway.

There apparently is a Chinese championship and a league. Or at least there have been in the past. The championship was based on where a player was registered as living - so a player represented their city. That's not to be confused with the Chinese Winter Games which is a separate event. The league was more club based but there were few teams and few games. Often, if a player doesn't make the big club (be that KHL or ALIH) they might not even bother playing for another club. It probably has changed recently but there was little money to make as a professional ice hockey player so most would go into the daily workforce.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

IHF Member
    Medveščak has no affiliate team in VHL.

IHF Prospect
    Isn't it only Russian teams that require a VHL link?

Thread Information