Italy - Germany 1-4
    Canada - Switzerland 2-3 OT

Slovakia - USA 1-6
    France - Czech Republic 2-5
    Denmark - Sweden 2-4
    Switzerland - Finland 2-3 OT

Standings:
    http://www.iihfworlds2017.com/en/games/

Think Finland should have Satori as Head Goalie !

Italy can still avoid relegation if:

1 - they manage to rally and win in regulation against Denmark today with 2 goals or more (2-0, 3-1 etc).
    2 - Sweden defeats Slovakia in regulation tomorrow.

That creates a three-way tie on 4pts where Italy is first on better goal difference. Slovakia lost against Denmark and is last, but that doesn't matter as Denmark couldn't relegate anyway.

So, there is a not too unlikely scenario that ends with Slovakia being relegated. Now that would be a real upset...

Shall we give it a 35% chance that Italy pulls of the first requirement and a 85% chance that Sweden manages the second. That leaves a 30% chance of Slovakia relegating...
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

IHF Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennison View Post
    Italy can still avoid relegation if:

1 - they manage to rally and win in regulation against Denmark today with 2 goals or more (2-0, 3-1 etc).
    2 - Sweden defeats Slovakia in regulation tomorrow.

That creates a three-way tie on 4pts where Italy is first on better goal difference. Slovakia lost against Denmark and is last, but that doesn't matter as Denmark couldn't relegate anyway.

So, there is a not too unlikely scenario that ends with Slovakia being relegated. Now that would be a real upset...

Shall we give it a 35% chance that Italy pulls of the first requirement and a 85% chance that Sweden manages the second. That leaves a 30% chance of Slovakia relegating...
    Given ITA beats DEN in regulation time and SVK doesn't get a point from their last game, wouldn't Italy be safe irrespective of their score against Denmark?
    In that case we do have a three team tie between DEN, ITA and SVK (at 4 points) and all of Italy's 4 points come from games against the other tied teams while Slovakia only has 3pts from these games (and Denmark only 2)...

I don't see that scenario as all too unlikely as it happened to turn out the schedule couldn't be better for the Italians. Denmark has nothing left to play for in this tourney and they might prefer having the weaker Italians up there next year instead of the Slovaks (from a financial pov Slovakia is, however, maybe more attractive as a participant of IHWC2017 as they bring way more fans to the games than Italy does...)
    But what's more important imho is that the Danes have the shortest possible rest since their game yesterday while the Italians had a full rest day. Especially at the end of such strenuous 2 weeks this is imho a non-negligible factor.

Sweden and Slovakia both played yesterday and although the Swedes have less rest than the Slovaks I guess they'd rather want to get them 3 pts in order to maximize their chances of taking 2nd place in the group.

Quote Originally Posted by RexKramer View Post
    Given ITA beats DEN in regulation time and SVK doesn't get a point from their last game, wouldn't Italy be safe irrespective of their score against Denmark?
    True, my bad. I missed that both of the other games (SVK-ITA and SVK-DEN) went into overtime. So any regulation win puts Italy ahead if Slovaka fails to get points in their final game.

Italy has everything to play for, Denmark does not. Also, I don't think Italy has played that bad, except for falling through in their games against Russia and Sweden.

IHF Staff
    True, my bad. I missed that both of the other games (SVK-ITA and SVK-DEN) went into overtime. So any regulation win puts Italy ahead if Slovaka fails to get points in their final game.

Italy has everything to play for, Denmark does not. Also, I don't think Italy has played that bad, except for falling through in their games against Russia and Sweden.
    I find your estimate of a 0.3 probability that Italy actually survives a pretty good guess. If so, I only hope AUT ends up in the group with Italy next year, that would increase our chances of survival quite well :D

But Slovakia getting relegated---that would really be an epic upset. One that would leave a bitter taste because if the scheduling and the fact that DK can't relegate heavily contribute to Italy staying up Italy, which essentially is a true Div I team, does so at the expense of a structurally much stronger hockey country that happened to have a bad year

Germany - Denmark 2:3 (2:2, 0:0, 0:0, 0:1) n.V.
    1:0 Patrick Reimer (8:26)
    2:0 Brooks Macek (9:43)
    2:1 Frederik Storm (16:09)
    2:2 Morten Poulsen (16:34)
    2:3 Peter Regin (61:40)

Germany - Italy 4:1 (2:1, 2:0, 0:0)
    1:0 Christian Ehrhoff (3:43)
    1:1 Michele Marchetti (4:21)
    2:1 Matthias Plachta (18:16)
    3:1 Yannic Seidenberg (22:46)
    4:1 Dominik Kahun (26:00)

Quote Originally Posted by RexKramer View Post
    a structurally much stronger hockey country that happened to have a bad year
    Slovakia hasn't been close to relegation since they played relegation games against slovenia in 2008.

Denmark blanked Italy 2-0, so the latter is going down
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

Italy also scored a hilariously bad own goal: https://twitter.com/HockeyWebCast/st...57262767673344

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Conesy View Post
    Denmark blanked Italy 2-0, so the latter is going down
    For a lot of reasons that was one important win for Denmark and as difficult as expected one may say.

But a Top-12 finish for Denmark, which is a pretty good result for Danish hockey considering all things.

Today’s game also marked the last for team Denmark captain Morten Green, who is retiring from the national team after 316 games and 19 World Championhips (Top Division & Division 1 combined).

http://www.iihfworlds2017.com/en/news/den-ita/

IHF Member
    Despite my fond feelings for Slovakian hockey and Slovakia in general, I think that relegation from the Elite group would have helped Slovakian hockey in near future. Such a failure might have helped to clear the swamp created by the Slovakian hockey federation and helped bring some desperately needed fresh men into Slovakian hockey.

Slovakian team came to IHWC with noone from NHL (not that there were lot of them there in the first place) but what's equally bad with only few players from KHL. The participation of Slovan in KHL showed itself as a collossal failure of both the club as well as Slovakian hockey. Among top six forwards there was only one Slovak, Lušňák and he didn't play for the national team. There were more Slovaks among the top four defenders, but only Sersen, with mere 22 matches played, went to Köln. Neither Švarný nor Ďaloga were in the team. Finally, there wasn't a single Slovakian goalie in KHL. To paraphrase a famous play: "Something is rotten in the Slovakian hockey".

I looked at the pre-championship world ranking report and added the points for positions 9-16 and Slovakia will drop in the rankings from 7th to 12th (11th if Germany wins against Latvia).

Quote Originally Posted by Drax View Post
    Despite my fond feelings for Slovakian hockey and Slovakia in general, I think that relegation from the Elite group would have helped Slovakian hockey in near future. Such a failure might have helped to clear the swamp created by the Slovakian hockey federation and helped bring some desperately needed fresh men into Slovakian hockey.

Slovakian team came to IHWC with noone from NHL (not that there were lot of them there in the first place) but what's equally bad with only few players from KHL. The participation of Slovan in KHL showed itself as a collossal failure of both the club as well as Slovakian hockey. Among top six forwards there was only one Slovak, Lušňák and he didn't play for the national team. There were more Slovaks among the top four defenders, but only Sersen, with mere 22 matches played, went to Köln. Neither Švarný nor Ďaloga were in the team. Finally, there wasn't a single Slovakian goalie in KHL. To paraphrase a famous play: "Something is rotten in the Slovakian hockey".
    Honestly I don't think that relegation from top division is the slap in the face that Slovak hockey needs. If for nothing else you have to remember that IHWC 2019 will take place in Slovakia. In case of relegation we would possibly be facing a situation where the IHWC would be played in Slovakia without Slovakia. As shown by the u18s this is the kind of event that has the potential to attract Slovak fans, media and potential sponsors to Slovak hockey.

Additionally despite Richard Lintner's loss in the SZLH elections and Martin Kohut's win being a bit of a compromise between the old guard and the golden generation, there are new people finding their way into Slovak hockey. On the first two days of this IHWC the first ever national hockey development seminar took place in Jasna in Slovakia, including former players who are active in hockey (Lintner, Liba, Satan, Handzus), coaches (including Norbert Javorcik, who coached Slovakia at the u18s), scouts (like Rangers chief of EU scouting Gajdosik), parents and SZLH employees. The 40 attendees have signed the Memorandum of Slovak hockey and proposed solutions for Slovak hockey. Further seminars will take place to distribute the solutions at regional levels.

One of the lecturers was the hef of hockey development of the Finnish ice hockey federation and there has bee other contact with Finnish hockey as well.

At this point of time I remain cautiously optimistic rather than pessimistic, the recent u18s showed that there is something to build on (even if these players are technically not a result of the work of the Slovak federation but rather parents and the hockey system of foreing countries).

As for this IHWC, Ciger's and Svehla's contracts end after this season and SZLH president Kohut has no desire to continue with them and would like for Miro Satan to take charge of the NT GM position (as he has the connectins as well as experience from team Europe at the World Cup).
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

See you in 2019...perhaps...

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaaa View Post
    Honestly I don't think that relegation from top division is the slap in the face that Slovak hockey needs. If for nothing else you have to remember that IHWC 2019 will take place in Slovakia. In case of relegation we would possibly be facing a situation where the IHWC would be played in Slovakia without Slovakia. As shown by the u18s this is the kind of event that has the potential to attract Slovak fans, media and potential sponsors to Slovak hockey.
    Just as Denmark was protected from relegation this year, Slovakia would have been automatically promoted from division IA had it fallen from the Elite group on this championship. In other words, Slovakian participation on 2019 event would have been safe.

Additionally despite Richard Lintner's loss in the SZLH elections and Martin Kohut's win being a bit of a compromise between the old guard and the golden generation, there are new people finding their way into Slovak hockey. On the first two days of this IHWC the first ever national hockey development seminar took place in Jasna in Slovakia, including former players who are active in hockey (Lintner, Liba, Satan, Handzus), coaches (including Norbert Javorcik, who coached Slovakia at the u18s), scouts (like Rangers chief of EU scouting Gajdosik), parents and SZLH employees. The 40 attendees have signed the Memorandum of Slovak hockey and proposed solutions for Slovak hockey. Further seminars will take place to distribute the solutions at regional levels.
    I hope things will go better for Slovakian hockey. However, at the present moment, this was the worst Slovakian team in years. Slovak players are no longer good enough for KHL and the powerhouse of Slovakian club hockey fails to reach playoff even with import heavy team. In addition, U20 team survived within elite group by defeating Latvia. I'd say that in few years Germans are likely to play on equal level and than it's bad news for Slovakia.

IHF Member

IIHF Day 11-12 - Results

Denmark – Italy 2-0
    Canada – Norway 5-0
    Russia – Latvia 5-0
    France – Slovenia 4-1

Sweden – Slovakia 4-2
    Belarus – Norway 4-3
    Russia – USA 3-5
    Czech Republic – Switzerland 1-3
    Germany – Latvia 4-3 SO
    Canada – Finland 5-2

IHF Member

IIHF Day 12 - Standings

Group A

GPWLOTWOTLP
    1. USA7610018
    2. Russia7511017
    3. Sweden7510116
    4. Germany7222111
    5. Latvia7330110
    6. Denmark714207
    7. Slovakia704124
    8.Italy (R)706011

Group B

GPWLOTWOTLP
    1. Canada7600119
    2. Switzerland 7302215
    3. Czech Republic7322013
    4. Finland7222111
    5. France7232010
    6. Norway723028
    7. Belarus724017
    8.Slovenia (R)706011

IHF Member

IIHF Quarterfinals+Semifinals+Finals

- 0-2

- 2-1

- 3-0

- 1-3
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- 4-2

- 4-1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-

http://www.iihfworlds2017.com/en/games/
    Last edited by Marras; 21-05-2017 at 12:59.

IHF Member
    this first german goal and the last latvian penalty....

I didn't see them, but they are debated in the Swedish news articles.

Just as Denmark was protected from relegation this year, Slovakia would have been automatically promoted from division IA had it fallen from the Elite group on this championship. In other words, Slovakian participation on 2019 event would have been safe.
    Thanks for the info, I didn't realize that. Slovak media claimed something different, I suppose they were just scaremongering.

I hope things will go better for Slovakian hockey. However, at the present moment, this was the worst Slovakian team in years. Slovak players are no longer good enough for KHL and the powerhouse of Slovakian club hockey fails to reach playoff even with import heavy team. In addition, U20 team survived within elite group by defeating Latvia. I'd say that in few years Germans are likely to play on equal level and than it's bad news for Slovakia.
    1) Slovan and the KHL - I'm definitely not a defender of Slovan in the KHL. I think that they're presence in the KHL is detrimental to the Slovak league. Additionally they claimed that they would be good for the national team, fostering Slovak players and in recent seasons they are closer to the Medvescak model than to that.

2) U20 team - the results of the Slovak u20 team have never exactly reflected the state of Slovak hockey as they are also caused by the relatively low numbers of players (additionally one of the top forwards Bucek missed the tourney with a knee injury). The 1998 and 1999 classes will likely perform better at the WJCs (although you never know) together with (hopefully) their new head coach Javorcik. Even if this happens, this will not signify that Slovak hockey as a whole is turning thins around. The classes of 2000 & 2001 are weak. Based on the World Selects Invitational (not an official tournament but a good measuring stock for Slovak hockey, 1999 class finished 3rd and it showed a few years later at the u18s) results the classes of 2003 and 2004 seems stronger, so we will see.

3) The worst team in Slovak history - this is true but this was caused by extreme circumstances. I'm not big on conspiracy theories, but I think there might be something about the players not wanting to play under Ciger/Svehla (given that they didn't support the players protest back in 2015 and the way that they handled communication with players like Panik/Hrivik last year). In addition the team lacked a proper coach - as a case in point, I am a fan of Julo Hudacek and I have been waiting for him to translate his performances in Sweden/junior NT to the senior NT but he has never quite managed it and any other coach would have changed goalies much earlier, at the latest after the blowout with Russia. I don't think that Janus' performance against Sweden was a fluke as he has performed well in the NT games during the season as well. Plus Ciger worked with the team for one month prior to the tourney and still they had absolutely no play system, neither 5 on 5 or in PP. Plus Ciger chose to take grinders over skilled players even for Slovak league - the scoring leader Hovorka was left off the roster (and he barely got a chance to show anything in the pre-tournament games and complained about the way his inclusion in the team was handled) and didn't give the chance to the younger skilled players from the league such as Patrik Koys or Matus Sukel, both in top 20 of the league scoring.

Looking solely at players born in 1989 and later Slovakia was missing all these players /pretty much the whole core of our younger generation of players/:

D Christian Jaros 1996 SWE
    D Marek Daloga 1989 KHL
    D Martin Marincin 1992 NHL
    F Richard Panik 1991 NHL
    F Tomas Tatar 1990 NHL
    F Marek Dano 1994 NHL
    F Tomas Jurco 1992 NHL
    F Peter Cehlarik 1995 NHL/AHL
    F Marek Hrivik 1991 NHL/AHL
    F Martin Reway 1995 Did not play due to illness
    F Martin Bakos 1990 KHL
    F Marek Viedensky 1990 KHL

I only mentioned the ones that have already played for Slovakia at the Olympics/IHWC, we do have other prospects that could potentially have NHL/KHL/European league careers:

G Adam Huska 1997
    G Matej Tomek 1997
    G David Hrenak 1998
    D Erik Cernak 1997
    D Martin Fehervary 1999
    D Michal Ivan 1999
    F Samuel Bucek 1998
    F Marian Studenic 1998
    F Radovan Bondra 1997
    F Adam Ruzicka 1999
    F Milos Roman 1999
    F Patrik Hrehorcak 1999

Certainly not all is well with Slovak hockey, but the 14th place at the IHWC is IMO not reflecting of Slovak hockey whether at the moment or in the foreseeable future (even if a lot of work needs to be done to see Slovak hockey on the raise again).

I think that we have survived the worst, the players born in the 1980s were a lost generation for Slovak hockey (with the mild exception of players born in 84 & 85). For one thing they grew up in a turbulent time for Slovakia (fall of communism, meciarism) and additionally they were neglected in terms of being included in the NT as we heavily relied on the golden generation of the 70s players born in Czechoslovakia. The players born in 1990s show a better trend so far and work needs to be done to make sure that this will trend upwards with kids born in the 2000s.
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

See you in 2019...perhaps...

Germany - Latvia 4:3 n. P. (0:0, 2:1, 1:2, 0:0, 1:0)
    1:0 (32.) David Wolf (Ehrhoff, P. Reimer - PP1)
    2:0 (32.) Dennis Seidenberg (M. Kink, Mo. Müller)
    2:1 (39.) Gunars Skvorcovs (Sotnieks)
    2:2 (49.) Janis Sprukts (Indrasis, Sotnieks)
    2:3 (57.) Andris Dzerins (Balinskis, Ro. Bukarts)
    3:3 (60.) Felix Schütz (L. Draisaitl - PP1 - EA)
    4:3 (PS) Frederik Tiffels

IHF Member
    Well I was hoping Latvia might make the quarters and/or the French. Always good to have some new wrinkles in this tournament - especially when it's the home team. I even (almost) would like to see Germany upset Canada. (almost).

Finland played defensively by far the best game, to the date, in this tournament in the QF against the US. Espacially the goalie Säteri pulled out some outstanding saves. Finland beating the USA, Group A winner, may be called a little upset.

Good for Finland to come back and won their QF after the team had been so questioned.

IHF Member
    Finns come up big when the money games start. I thought the US was the team to beat.

Sweden met a strong Swiss team tonight. The second period especially was Switzerlands.

Bad referee call disqualified the second Swiss goal.

IHF Member
    Good effort by the Germans in the 2-1 loss to Canada. A bit of luck and they might have tied it in the 3rd. This despite 50 shots by Canada and a lot of them good ones.

Now the Bear....the lads will be up for this one.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wagon View Post
    Good effort by the Germans in the 2-1 loss to Canada. A bit of luck and they might have tied it in the 3rd. This despite 50 shots by Canada and a lot of them good ones.
    The Germans were tough because even though they ere dominated territorially they managed to keep themselves in it.
    But they had a lot of luck on their side too...35-7 were SOG Canada after two, including 20-1 in the second period alone.
    A short handed goal with about six and a half to go and all of a sudden a game that should have long been decided was a nailbiter.

IHF Member
    Unfortunate the IIHF won't allow RUS-CAN to be determined by the players.

Canada 4, Russia 2 - another classic duel between the long time powers of the game. Hugely impressed with the Canadian comeback in the 3rd after being down 2-0. Have a new found respect for a Ryan Oreilly. His smarts and never ending work ethic set the example for the team and they followed his leadership. This Canadian team may not have the raw talent of the past two World champion teams but their never-say-die effort makes up for it

IHF Member
    Unfortunate the IIHF won't allow RUS-CAN to be determined by the players.
    Fierce third period comeback by Canada, as they out shot Russia 19-5 and scored four unanswered including an empty netter.
    The win puts the Canadians in a position to win three consecutive World titles, which hasn't happened since 1951-53.
    Coincidentally, the year following Canada's last WHC three peat, 1954, marked the Russians (USSR) debut at the Worlds.

IHF Member
    I'm still in shock. I can't fathom how the Russians were outshot 19-4 in the 3rd after having the better of the play thru 2. Apparently momentum was huge. O'Reilly was everywhere so fitting he got the game winner on a good bounce for Canada. Pickard made some big saves and kept it close. Seemed to me that Canada looked jittery and the Russians composed thru 40. Any win over Russia is worth a big party and I'll be celebrating tonight big time (while still shaking my head).

IHF Member
    I'm still in shock. I can't fathom how the Russians were outshot 19-4 in the 3rd after having the better of the play thru 2. Apparently momentum was huge. O'Reilly was everywhere so fitting he got the game winner on a good bounce for Canada. Pickard made some big saves and kept it close. Seemed to me that Canada looked jittery and the Russians composed thru 40. Any win over Russia is worth a big party and I'll be celebrating tonight big time (while still shaking my head).
    The turning point was the slashing penalty taken by Artyom Zub with 1:30 left in the second period.
    The Russians fended off Canada the rest of the period and had only 30 seconds left to kill going into the third.
    But Canada scored with 13 seconds left in the penalty and it was game on.
    Russia hung on for 15 minutes on but there seemed to be an inevitability about how it would finish.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ref72 View Post
    This Canadian team may not have the raw talent of the past two World champion teams but their never-say-die effort makes up for it
    In contrast to the 2 previous years, this team has several of what I'd call strong 3rd line players, ie good possession stats, hustle, physical play, energy but not big scorers. These guys are obviously comfortable with 3rd line situations, ice time, expectations.
    Gets to the debate about do you take your best 10 forwards or 2 scoring lines and round it out with checkers, face-off guys, 3rd line style players.

This game reminded me - in reverse - of the year we had this in Canada, 2007 maybe ? Canada led 4-2 over Russia in the gold medal game going into the 3rd and seemed in control only to lose 5-4 in OT. Painful then, today much better..

Strong game by Sweden, ready to face Canada tomorrow. I was impressed by Sebastian Aho in Finland, was really dangerous but disappeared a bit in the third.

IHF Member
    Reminder guys to get the champagne chilling.

If Canada does manage to win i figure the banner will go to Philadelphia ?

If Canada does manage to win i figure the banner will go to Philadelphia ?
    Only if they score 16 more PIMs to "win" the tournament.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

Quote Originally Posted by Trim View Post
    Only if they score 16 more PIMs to "win" the tournament.
    Or if they fight the goalie

Russia beats Finland 5-3 to win gold, but they came rather close to blowing a 4-0 lead

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Conesy View Post
    Russia beats Finland 5-3 to win gold, but they came rather close to blowing a 4-0 lead
    Gold?
    Only in Trump's world you are awarded gold by winning the bronze medal game.

Canada deserved that goal, but the penalty that it came from was a joke.

Canada deserved that goal, but the penalty that it came from was a joke.
    We are all even on joke calls that trip against Canada with 3 minutes remaining was ridiculous

It's a tight game, with a slight edge for Canada. Especially the first half of the second period. It'll be a nervous start of overtime.

It's a tight game, with a slight edge for Canada. Especially the first half of the second period. It'll be a nervous start of overtime.
    Agree it's a tight game but I have seen Sweden with cleaner chances. Agree anything can happen now I just hoe whoever scores it's a good goal not a fluke

IHF Member
    Gold medal decided by a shoot-out. One of the most stupid IIHF rules.

Yes!!!! It doesn't get much tighter than this, 43-41 in SOG after 80 minutes. This really could go either way.

Congrats Sweden. Hate to lose in a penalty shot contest but at least in that contest, there was no question who performed it better

IHF Member
    Yup, good effort by both teams and congratulations to the winner. Shoot-out always stinks but what can you do. Death, taxes and IIHF shoot-outs.

I would have given Schenn more ice time. He shook things up when he got out there. Duchense and Simmonds both looked spooked - as they have all tournament. Nylander was a force but Marner didn't do much if that was supposed to be some sort of rivalry. Too bad for O'Reilly who carried the team on his back.

IHF Member
    Gold medal decided by a shoot-out. One of the most stupid IIHF rules.
    Well at least a hockey shootout is a little better than a FIFA shootout.
    With soccer, the penalty taker is supposed to score and the game is basically decided when someone screws up.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information