Thread: 2017 IIHF Challenge Cup of Asia

IHF Member

2017 IIHF Challenge Cup of Asia

Still waiting for information about next year's events, which normally comes through in August. Maybe the proximity of the AWG is causing complications for some teams.

Geoff

IHF Member
    Been in touch with Martin Merk at the IIHF, who is always very helpful. He tells me details are not finalised but as soon as they are they will be published in IIHF.com.

Seems that Bangkok will host at least the top division and maybe the whole event.

Geoff

IHF Member
    New Zealand Women's under-18 team just announced that they will be sending a team to Bangkok in March for the Women's Division I Challenge Cup of Asia tournament. Roster is to be announced next week.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salavat View Post
    New Zealand Women's under-18 team just announced that they will be sending a team to Bangkok in March for the Women's Division I Challenge Cup of Asia tournament. Roster is to be announced next week.
    Thanks for that news. Presumably they'll be competing against Senior Women from other countries, unless it's a first ever Women's U18 CCoA.

Geoff
    Last edited by GeoffH; 30-10-2016 at 11:48.

IHF Member
    Great news that 7 teams are expected for the CCoA Division 1 in Kuwait. Kuwait and Oman return and Turkmenistan and Philippines play for the first time.

Geoff

http://nationalteamsoficehockey.com/...es-in-sapporo/

Previously Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore had mentioned being in the top division in Thailand. Unless someone dropped out (looking at Taipei or UAE as world championship entrants), that would mean 7 teams in each division.

Taipei, UAE, Mongolia, Thailand, Kyrgyzstan, Malaysia, Singapore
    Macau, Qatar, India, Kuwait, Oman, Turkmenistan, Philippines

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fan75 View Post
    Previously Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore had mentioned being in the top division in Thailand. Unless someone dropped out (looking at Taipei or UAE as world championship entrants), that would mean 7 teams in each division.

Taipei, UAE, Mongolia, Thailand, Kyrgyzstan, Malaysia, Singapore
    Macau, Qatar, India, Kuwait, Oman, Turkmenistan, Philippines
    Yes, that's how I see it too. Great news if 13 or 14 national teams compete. I could see Taipei deciding to not enter and concentrate on the IHWC. I've checked with Martin Merk at the IIHF and he says that they are still waiting for some of the countries to confirm participation.

Geoff

Singapore Ice Hockey Association announced their women's national team for this year. In doing so, they have announced the Women's Challenge Cup of Asia Division I tournament will be held 6-16 March in Bangkok. Joining Singapore and their Thai hosts are Malaysia, India, New Zealand (hello Salavat's post), and the return of the UAE.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

IHF Member
    A good article about Singapore men's team on NToIH.

Says they will play in Kuwait in the CCoA, which would mean Div I not the main event in Bangkok.

Geoff

IHF Member
    NToIH now have full schedule of CCoA with a record 13 teams ( 6 plus 7 ). Of teams previously mentioned only TPE not competing, presumably to concentrate on the AWG and the IHWC. Hopefully no drop outs this year.
    Only UAE are entered for AWG , CCoA and IHWC which is a gruelling schedule. However they did drop out of the
    IHWC last year.

Geoff

IHF Member
    IIHF.com also been updated.

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffH View Post
    Hopefully no drop outs this year.
    Only UAE are entered for AWG , CCoA and IHWC which is a gruelling schedule. However they did drop out of the
    IHWC last year.

Geoff
    I see the positives and negatives. You're absolutely right about a grueling schedule. The AWGs won't be so bad but the CCoA ends on March 23 in Thailand and IHWC Div III begins April 10 in Bulgaria. For amateur players with a fairly limited schedule, that is pretty rough. Lest we forget last year, they suffered multiple injuries at the CCoA that hampered their progress in Div III. However, with Chinese Taipei moving out of the Challenge Cup with little left to prove there, UAE are in the pound seats as far as winning the title. That will be very tempting.

Of note, the Philippines will be playing in Sapporo (AWG), Kuwait (Div I), and Kuala Lumpur (SEA Games) but they will have months between each. Very positively, it won't take us long to find out how compliant the Philippines and Turkmenistan's rosters are going into Division I.

Very happy to see India penciled in for Division I as they won't make the trip to Sapporo. I'm slightly disappointed that Kuwait are hosting. Their dedication to hosting is admirable, but with that beautiful arena in Ashgabat, it would be nice to see the Turkmens hosting.

For me, it is unexpected to see the Philippines sending a women's team to the CCoA as well. We have confirmation that the NZ U18s will be there along with the return of the UAE. Interesting to note that the IIHF has dropped the Division I title to the women's event. The top division hasn't been held since the first Division I event in 2014. With both Korea and China needing competitive games, which they can give each other - nevermind playing with the superior Japanese squad - it is a wonder how they aren't pushing for that event.

Thailand's women will do the double of AWG and CCoA. The SEA Games won't have a women's tournament. Could that change in the future, host dependent?

Bangkok, oh, I wish I lived there (except the heat)! Women's CCoA March 7-15 and then the men from 17-23. Two solid weeks of international ice hockey competition. What more could you ask for?
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

IHF Member
    Thanks for your excellent post, Trim.

It's remarkable how this level of hockey has progressed in the last ten years. As you say these are all amateurs who give of their time and money because they love the game.

As always I hope for plenty of close games.

Very good point about the eligibility of the Philippines and Turkmenistan squads. Be interesting to see what changes are made to their lineups between the AWG and the CCoA.

Geoff
    Last edited by GeoffH; 29-01-2017 at 15:19.

IHF Member
    It looks like Mongolia may be using some naturalized players this year. Their entry list includes:
    EISBRUNNER Maksim
    MURZIN Roman
    RADIONOV Igor
    SKORODUMOV Ruslan

These names don't look Mongolian; they have Russian written all over them.

These guys have played for the mongolian bandy team in the last bandy world championship (Mongolia wins the bronze medal for the first time in group B) and score most of the team's goals, but I don't know where they come from....
    http://www.elitrapport.se/live2/?gam...pan&a=Mongolia

IHF Member
    I'll be interested to see how strong the various squads are this year, as always eligibility and availability will be key in determining results.

Based on previous year's CCoAs UAE would be favourites followed by Mongolia and then Thailand but Thailand won the AWG Div I with a strengthened squad and will probably win at home if they have all that squad available. Be interesting to see how Kyrgyzstan do against the 3 favourites, they might cause an upset. Singapore and Malaysia look set to compete for 5th and 6th.

The Women's event has really progressed in recent years and is underway now with 7 teams including a New Zealand U18 team which looks likely to win. Having 6 new national teams is still great progress and Hong Kong and Chinese Taipei have already graduated to the IHWC. UAE , India and Philippines have all picked up their first competitive wins.

Geoff

IHF Member
    According to the event website on IIHF, Kyrgyzstan are no longer competing. That's disappointing,
    perhaps it was too soon after the AWG.

Geoff

IHF Member
    National Teams of Ice Hockey posted on their Facebook a comment from the Kyrgyz Hockey Federation president to AKIpress that it was "over lack of funding as the Ministry of Finance did not allocate money"

IHF Member
    A shame Kyrgyzstan isn't going, they are really showing signs of being a decent team at this level. But the country isn't exactly prosperous, but a shame they only now found out they can't go (or waited this long to announce).

IHF Member
    First two days have shown that Singapore and Malaysia are not up to the standard of the other teams.

http://www.iihf.com/competition/636/

Should get more competitive on Monday with Mongolia v Thailand and Singapore v Malaysia.

Geoff

IHF Member
    Two late goals for Singapore gives them a 5-4 win over Malaysia and should ensure they stay in the top division next year. Not sure they should have done that as they will be up against teams much stronger than themselves again.

And Mongolia held off Thailand 5-4 after getting an early 3-0 lead.

Pleased to see closer games but it does look like two divisions in one.

Geoff
    Last edited by GeoffH; 20-03-2017 at 16:09.

IHF Member
    Frustration for hosts Thailand who lost again , this time 3-4 to UAE and they will finish third. As with the Mongolia game they went 0-3 down, fought back to 3-3 but still lost.

Playing at home they must have thought they had a good chance of winning this year. Especially after their unbeaten run against stronger opposition at the AWG.

They have played in all 10 CCoAs and never won. Mind you they've never been lower than fourth either.

Geoff

IHF Member
    Despite Mongolia being 2 goals ahead on three occasions the UAE won 5-4 in a penalty shootout. This is their third CCoA win and they denied Mongolia their first.

Geoff

IHF Member
    Sorry to see that the forthcoming Division 1 event in Kuwait has suffered three withdrawals leaving just four to compete. Qatar, Turkmenistan and Philippines, who all competed at the Asian Winter Games, have now withdrawn from the CCoA. Good that Oman and India will be there, having not made the AWG.

Geoff

IHF Member
    First day of Division 1 with wins for IND , their second ever , and KUW.

IND 3 OMA 2
    KUW 8 MAC 0

Thought MAC would be more competitive than that.

Geoff

IHF Member
    Pleased to see two more close games.

OMA 2 MAC 1
    KUW 8 IND 5

MAC must have come with a really weak squad which can happen in AWG years.

IND could now get promoted from second place into next year's top Division , which they aren't really strong enough for.

Geoff

Thread Information