Thread: 2017 IIHF World Div III Championship

IHF Member

2017 IIHF World Div III Championship

IIHF decided to expand the event to eight teams by including the two teams from the planned qualifying event.

Teams split into 2 groups of four for the qualifying round, although the seedings look wrong as RSA GEO and LUX are in the same group. Overall a good move I think.

Geoff

IHF Member
    Not if you use the IIHF World Ranking for seeding purposes like in Top Division.

Group AGroup B
    1. BUL (39) 2. RSA (41)
    4. HKG (44) 3. LUX (43)
    5. BIH (45) 6. UAE (46)
    8. TPE (N/A) 7. GEO (47)

IHF Member
    Just read your post on the 2016 thread that GEO have been disqualified for player ineligibility. That explains the revised seedings, although looks as though GEO are being allowed to compete in 2017.

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffH View Post
    Just read your post on the 2016 thread that GEO have been disqualified for player ineligibility. That explains the revised seedings, although looks as though GEO are being allowed to compete in 2017.

Geoff
    Seeing what happened to Armenia, you would hope the Georgians don't screw this up.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

IHF Member
    I don't think it will be anything on the scale of Armenia. I know they had some ethnic Russian dual-nationals who they'd been wanting to use and suspect they didn't get all the paperwork in place before doing so. They've been placed 6th for this year's event, rather than being disqualified and allowed to play next year, so it looks like a minor offence.

Geoff
    Quote Originally Posted by Trim View Post
    Seeing what happened to Armenia, you would hope the Georgians don't screw this up.

I don't think it will be anything on the scale of Armenia. I know they had some ethnic Russian dual-nationals who they'd been wanting to use and suspect they didn't get all the paperwork in place before doing so. They've been placed 6th for this year's event, rather than being disqualified and allowed to play next year, so it looks like a minor offence.

Geoff
    Agreed. But my reference was to playing at the 2017 championships. Armenia was disqualified and suspended in 2008, sat out a year in suspension, and came back with ineligible players anyway. My hope would be that the GIHF make sure everything is correctly documented this time around. Armenia couldn't be bothered to do that and it got them suspended indefinitely. It ended up being 4 or 5 years and they don't look like making a return since reinstatement.

IHF Member
    I read through some threads on here and had a look at the Wiki page, but what exactly were Armenia DQ'd for?

A team that was basically stuffed with US Armenians while Armenia itself had no national league?

Or, seeing as the Wiki page shows players listed with domestic clubs, was there an attempt to play some kind of quick-fire "domestic league" with whoever they could find to try and claim to the IIHF that they were running a national championship?

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BhamJohn View Post
    I read through some threads on here and had a look at the Wiki page, but what exactly were Armenia DQ'd for?

A team that was basically stuffed with US Armenians while Armenia itself had no national league?

Or, seeing as the Wiki page shows players listed with domestic clubs, was there an attempt to play some kind of quick-fire "domestic league" with whoever they could find to try and claim to the IIHF that they were running a national championship?
    That's a pretty good summary. The squad ( ethnic Armenians ) were from the US and used to visit Armenia to play in the national championships in an attempt to meet IIHF qualification regulations. Think they failed ultimately because as US citizens some of the squad had problems getting Armenian passports and keeping their US passports. As I understand it there has also been some domestic hockey in Armenia in recent years but at a very low standard.

Geoff

More than that, the IIHF rules required not only that players play 2 full years in-country to become naturalized, the players in question COULD NOT PLAY ANYWHERE OUTSIDE OF ARMENIA DURING THAT TIME.
    The majority of the Armenian squad never fulfilled that part of the requirement, and were easily found playing in Los Angeles area rec leagues, but also in some cases documented in the online rosters of ACHA Division II and Division III club teams.
    Basically, if memory serves, the 2006 Armenian senior team had only 4 eligible players on their roster. In 2008 they had about the same.
    Also, in 2006 they had about 3 eligible players on their U20 roster, and one of the ineligible ones was a player whose DOB was apparently forged, and his American club team listed him as being 21 years old instead of 19 at the time of the tournament.

So if the Georgian issue is a matter of paperwork rather than widespread and systemic eligibility fraud, then I can understand them getting a pass and a warning.

IHF Member
    Entry lists for the forthcoming event are available on IHF.com , apart from TPE.

Good to see that UAE appear to be going to play.

GEO have omitted their top scorer from 2016, Boris Kochkin, who has presumably been ruled ineligible and was maybe the cause of last year's' defaults.

Geoff
    Last edited by GeoffH; 30-03-2017 at 12:02.

IHF Member
    Entry list for TPE now added so barring any last minute problems all eight teams should be playing.

Geoff

IHF Member

WC 2017 Div 3

Entry list for TPE now added so barring any last minute problems all eight teams should be playing.

Geoff
    UAE play 3 times 2013 0 wins 2014 win over Geo 2015 win over BIH
    BIH play 2 times 2015 0 wins 2016 win over Geo and HKG
    Geo play 3 times 2014 o wins 2015 wins over BIG and UAE 2016 0 wins
    HKG play 2 times 2015 wins over UAE and Geo 2016 inw over Geo

Greetings,
    Rowan

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rowan View Post
    UAE play 3 times 2013 0 wins 2014 win over Geo 2015 win over BIH
    BIH play 2 times 2015 0 wins 2016 win over Geo and HKG
    Geo play 3 times 2014 o wins 2015 wins over BIG and UAE 2016 0 wins
    HKG play 2 times 2015 wins over UAE and Geo 2016 inw over Geo

Greetings,
    Rowan
    Thanks for this. For TPE it will be their first time. Expect BIH, HKG and UAE to be the weakest teams. GEO and TPE have chances to beat any of LUX, RSA and BUL. Should be plenty of closely contested games.

Geoff

UAE also played in 2010 but with no wins. In 2013 they played in the qualifying event and won all three games against GRE, MGL and GEO.
    Last edited by GeoffH; 30-03-2017 at 13:43.

IHF Member

WC 2017 Div 3

Thanks for this. For TPE it will be their first time. Expect BIH, HKG and UAE to be the weakest teams. GEO and TPE have chances to beat any of LUX, RSA and BUL. Should be plenty of closely contested games.

Geoff

UAE also played in 2010 but with no wins. In 2013 they played in the qualifying event and won all three games against GRE, MGL and GEO.
    Arm 2004 0 wins,2005 0 wins,2006 wins over Ireland and Luxemburg,2010 0 wins
    Mongolia 2007,2008,2008and 2012 o wins 2010 i win Arm ff5-0 Vey week results

Ireland 2004 1 win Arm, 2005 1 win Arm,2006 Turk draw, win Lux and Mon, 2007 win SAf and Lux
    2008,2009 and 2011 0 wins, 2010 win Lux,Greece and UAE, 2012 win Greece and Mong.
    Rowan

IHF Member
    Just realised that Boris Kochkin is in the GEO entry list but as Assistant Coach not as a player ! Presumably ineligible or injured.

Geoff

IHF Member
    Just realised that Boris Kochkin is in the GEO entry list but as Assistant Coach not as a player ! Presumably ineligible or injured.

Geoff
    I figured that this guy was likely the ineligible player:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=111811

He isn't back this year either.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom93 View Post
    I figured that this guy was likely the ineligible player:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=111811

He isn't back this year either.
    It is worth noting that unlike Kochkin, Svanidze is very much an ethnic Georgian name, though his career history doesn't really suggest he would be eligible anyways.

Really hope the Georgians don't mess this up, would like to see them be a consistent participant and grow the sport properly in the country.

IHF Member
    Bosnia won't be coming to Sofia. There will be no change to the schedule as all BIH games will be recorded as 5-0 forfeit win to the opposite teams.

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...1dd59800c23ad4

Interesting, why?

Quote Originally Posted by Dionissimo View Post
    Interesting, why?
    There is just one good reason
    A-light-in-the-dark: Sofia Bulgaria, Skopje Macedonia, Sarajevo & Pristina :)

IHF Member
    It looks like it's gonna be a really ugly tournament for UAE. They should seriously drop the CCoA so they can have a full roster available for WC.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciremya View Post
    It looks like it's gonna be a really ugly tournament for UAE. They should seriously drop the CCoA so they can have a full roster available for WC.
    Or maybe concentrate on the CCoA. Doing AWG, CCoA and WC in quick succession was never going to work out well.

Geoff

IHF Member
    Good win for GEO on day one, 6-5 over RSA. Hope they've got the eligibility issues sorted out. I'll be interested to see if LUX can beat either of these two. They'll be confident after their 17-0 win over UAE.
    TPE held BUL to 0-3 in their first ever WC game. Not a bad result but the 55-7 sog makes it seem more one-sided. Both teams should beat HKG to make the top four play-offs.

Geoff

IHF Member
    Or maybe concentrate on the CCoA. Doing AWG, CCoA and WC in quick succession was never going to work out well.

Geoff
    Sure, one or the other, it's up to them. I just think WC participation should be the main goal and the CCoA is here as a stage on the way and not an excuse for filling up your trophy case. This year was definitely going to be tough. It's kind of crazy for a team at that level going to Sapporo, Bangkok and Sofia in less than 60 days.

Well, I admit I didn't expect LUX taking a full 3 points over GEO.

I watched a few minutes of the RSA-UAE game online. The UAE players looked like pee-wees out there. I can`t imagine how bad they looked versus Luxembourg.

IHF Member
    Impressive win for LUX, 6-4 over GEO. RSA who beat UAE 8-0 need a three point win over LUX to get into the top four play-offs

BUL beat HKG 10-3 to clinch top place in their group and probably will meet GEO in the play-off semi-finals.

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by alberto View Post
    I can`t imagine how bad they looked versus Luxembourg.
    That game has been archived on YouTube, so if you wanted to...

I watched a few minutes of the RSA-UAE game online. The UAE players looked like pee-wees out there. I can`t imagine how bad they looked versus Luxembourg.
    I watched full match and in first period the game was equal, Emirates looked no worse than RSA. With Luxembourg, first period was also the best for them. This team is weak physically and their enthusiasm is sufficient only for one period

IHF Member
    Ouch, just watched some of the GEO v UAE game on live stream. 9-0 to GEO after first period. Don't like to see these mismatches as they don't help the programs of either country. How we miss having Greece and Ireland at this level !

Geoff

IHF Member
    Ouch, just watched some of the GEO v UAE game on live stream. 9-0 to GEO after first period. Don't like to see these mismatches as they don't help the programs of either country. How we miss having Greece and Ireland at this level !

Geoff
    A quiet middle session but another burst of goals at the end left it at 19-0. From what I saw GEO were scoring at will.

Geoff

IHF Member

Geoff
    19-0 is the final score. Interesting that Georgia only scored 2 goals in the second, compared to 9 and then 8 in the first and third; have to wonder if they maybe paced themselves a bit then, as I don't see any reason for them to drop that low. New high score for the Georgians, though like you said it doesn't really do either team good to have a game like this. Also worth noting that the two main Georgian point-getters are ethnically Russian, Kozyulin and Svetsov, so hopefully they don't have any issues like last year in that regards.

IHF Member

Geoff
    Yes, we miss being at the Worlds too. Greece (and Ireland) should be here!

IHF Member
    HKG suprisingly beat TPE 5-2 and makes it to the semi-finals. If UAE had some hopes to make it to the 5th/6th placement game, it's probably now over.

IHF Member
    LUX wins over RSA 3-1 and tops Group B. I'm really impressed by that team. I know they do usually content for medal but this year they have a serious go for promotion. Still I expect BUL to win it at the end. For RSA, a 5th place finish at best must be their worst result in a long time

Semi-finals
    BUL - GEO
    LUX - HKG

Placement games

TPE - UAE
    RSA - BIH 5-0 forfeit

IHF Member
    I thought TPE would do better than this but they should get a first WC win against UAE.

LUX have progressed and changed places with RSA who have stagnated. GEO have consolidated with, hopefully, a fully eligible squad.

Watched LUX during first period against RSA and neither team had much fluency. Think BUL will win fairly easily.

Geoff

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy21 View Post
    Yes, we miss being at the Worlds too. Greece (and Ireland) should be here!
    Good to know you still follow the forum. Are you still playing ? Have you enough money to build that rink yet ??

Geoff

IHF Member
    Good to know you still follow the forum. Are you still playing ? Have you enough money to build that rink yet ??

Geoff
    Yes, we are still playing. We're still trying to keep the sport alive, despite all the obstacles. Unfortunately, no money for an Olympic rink, and with the financial situation Greece is in, i have less and less hope that an Olympic size rink will open.

We are doing some great stuff though:

Check out Pond Hockey in Greece on a frozen pond in Northern Greece:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR9D122pchY

Friday Night Hockey in Athens Greece:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFeDYjaKNuc

We're not giving up, if not for us, for the next generations.

IHF Member
    UAE looking like they may get shut out the entire tournament. Got to think that'll make them reconsider trying to do so much again. Can't be fun for the players either to not even get on the scoreboard once (unless South Africa gives up one tomorrow).

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiser_matias View Post
    UAE looking like they may get shut out the entire tournament. Got to think that'll make them reconsider trying to do so much again. Can't be fun for the players either to not even get on the scoreboard once (unless South Africa gives up one tomorrow).
    They're already done. TPE plays RSA tomorrow.

Yup. 4 games played, 0 wins 4 losses. 0 goals for, 48 goals against. That is very weak. They should have to qualify to play next year.

IHF Member
    Yup. 4 games played, 0 wins 4 losses. 0 goals for, 48 goals against. That is very weak. They should have to qualify to play next year.
    Hopefully BIH will be back and maybe with a new team or two there will be an extra division. Originally there was due to be a IIIQ this year for UAE and TPE before the change to an 8 team event which then became 7.

LUX just beaten HKG comfortably to go into tomorrow's playoff final for promotion.

Geoff

IHF Member
    As expected it will be BUL v LUX for the promotion win after comfortable wins ;

BUL 9 GEO 3
    LUX 8 HKG 1

Should be wins for BUL, GEO and RSA on the last day.

Geoff

IHF Member
    Yeah, I misread the standings. Rough tournament for them, hope enough teams show up like mentioned to have a qualifier next year so this doesn't happen again.

IHF Member
    Congratulations to LUX who win promotion with 10-4 win over BUL. First time ever as Division III champions.

GEO 3rd after 14-3 win over HKG.

RSA 5th after 7-2 win over TPE.

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by kaiser_matias View Post
    UAE looking like they may get shut out the entire tournament.
    Disregarding the automatic 5-0 win from Bosnia's forfeit, they did indeed get shut out.
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

IHF Member
    Why Bosnia forfeit? Financial issues?

Its a big shame for BUL.

IHF Member
    Impressive win for Luxembourg, really great to see them earn the promotion. First time they've ever won a gold medal at the World Championships, so they must be happy for that. Will be interesting to see how they do at the next level though.

Thread Information