Thread: Serie A Final Four 2017

Serie A Final Four 2017

Next weekend (21-22 January) a Final Four tournament will be held in Asiago to determine the Italian champion 2017. The top four Italian teams from the Alps Hockey League regular season are qualified for this, which are Ritten, Pustertal, Asiago and Cortina. Semifinals will be held on Saturday, the final on Sunday.

Personally I find it rather silly to play out a national championship in a Final Four tournament, but that was a requirement so that Italian teams could play in Alps Hockey League.

IHF Prospect
    I can only assume it may have been done to satisfy Continental Cup/Champions League qualifying requirements, since Italy technically doesn't have a domestic league any longer with no standalone Serie A?

IHF Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by BhamJohn View Post
    I can only assume it may have been done to satisfy Continental Cup/Champions League qualifying requirements, since Italy technically doesn't have a domestic league any longer with no standalone Serie A?

I don't think so. As far as I can remember to keep playing out the "scudetto" (Italian championship trophy) in a separate tournament was something the Italian federation demanded and also the "Italian" teams that moved to AlpsHL from Serie A (as opposed to the "South Tyrolean" teams from German speaking places) wanted it that way. But PhilHell can certainly tell us more.

IHF Member
    Bolzano Foxes from EBEL are not participating?

CONI (the Italian Olympic commitee) demanded that the Italian national title is still being awarded in a purely national contest. Therefore, simply awarding the best seeded Italian AHL-team was nomore an alternative and FISG (the italian ice sports federation) had to look for a solution. One of the options was to award the scudetto to the Serie B champion. However, sending a Serie B-team (this is a mainly amateur league, whereas AHL is semi pro) to the Continental Cup would have been pretty embarassing. So that was not a real alternative.

So in the end they decided to play a mini-tournament like a Final Four. Personally, I would not have too much against it IF really all the best Italian teams at least participated in this. I think it would also have been an opportunity to bring together the Italian clubs of all the different leagues (just as would have been with Coppa Italia, which is only a contest for Serie B teams now, making next years Supercoppa sort of a joke). Sure, the Foxes would have had to adapt to the 4 import rule for those 2 games (they currently have 14 on their EBEL-roster), but they could have found a way by bringing in players from some of the local Serie B-teams for the two games.

Anyway, semifinals were played yesterday. Defending champion Ritten defeated Cortina 5-2 and Asiago beat Pustertal 3-1.

Today the final between Asiago and Ritten is played at 18:00 CET. Livestream here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2Z0Bc_OkJ4

Thread Information