Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2017 IIHF World Div.IB Championship - Belfast, Great Britain; 23-29 April

IHF Member
    I don't get it. Ališauskas plays for Saryarka who was eliminated from playoff quarterfinals by Zauralye on March 22nd. Dalhuisen's Torpedo lost its last game in finals on April 18th.

Unless they were injured there was enough time for both of them to join their national teams.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Susi View Post
    My predicts is that Lithuania has also good chances to promote. The team has changed more equal with years. They showed great defense against Estonia and Pavliukov has been succesful this and last year. Bigger lost is Alisauskas.
    Lithuanian defense is composed of old men and children. I don't think they can hold against a determined offense. Even with Ališauskas on roster, Lithuania collapsed against Great Britain last year in Zagreb.

I'm in Belfast following the tournament for Eurohockey. What i can say after two rounds of games is confirming the favouritism of GBR and JAP wwith LTU as possible surprise.
    Lithuania played the best hockey so far but faced the two weakest teams, today against GBR is the first real challenge to prove the ambitions of Baltics.
    Japan is not spectacular but very concrete, i think they are the main favourite.
    Great Britain didn't impress me until now. They won against Estonia in the third period but suffering a lot in the second.
    Not a great audience in the stands, also for GBR games, a pity because the arena and the organization are really good
    For the relegation my bet in on Netherlands, very fragile team

IHF Member
    Estonia can create lots of great chances, but they can't manage to them. The scoring is so easier to Japan.

IHF Member
    Estonia has good first line, but their defense is bellow the level of this division.

IHF Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Drax View Post
    Estonia has good first line, but their defense is bellow the level of this division.
    No kidding, best defenseman is a 38-year-old Lahesalu who is pretty much retired.

Netherlands and Croatia are warming right now. No Nagtzaam in the Netherlands...tough mission for Dutch...

4-0 Croatia after 1st period...Netherlands suffered 3 goals in 30 seconds...this speaks for itself

IHF Member

Nagtzaam

Quote Originally Posted by Davide View Post
    Netherlands and Croatia are warming right now. No Nagtzaam in the Netherlands...tough mission for Dutch...
    I say it in my last replay He has an funeral in the Netherland. We miss also Dalhuisen (russia play-offs second division.)
    A few defence players are stopped wit icehockey) and ofcourse we miss 10 players from Tilburg Trappers. Joly who are injured. Schaafsma who play in Canada lower leagues in the play-offs
    So we miss a lot of players. It is a kind of B team.Too weak for this division.

Greetings,
    Rowan

Quote Originally Posted by rowan View Post
    I say it in my last replay He has an funeral in the Netherland. We miss also Dalhuisen (russia play-offs second division.)
    A few defence players are stopped wit icehockey) and ofcourse we miss 10 players from Tilburg Trappers. Joly who are injured. Schaafsma who play in Canada lower leagues in the play-offs

Greetings,
    Rowan
    yes I've read about NED absences, it's a pity after the promotion of last season. Really the team is very weak, all hopes are in game vs Estonia

Greetings,
    Rowan
    I thought VHL playoffs finished just few days before D1B started ?

Estonia wins against Croatia, with the score 4:3 (1:0, 2:3,1:0), making a great step to avoid relegation.

IHF Member
    Croatia was abysmal today.

IHF Member
    Looks like whoever is in goal for Holland just played his last game for the national team :)

Obviously getting to the DEL2 next season was far more important than some supposed "World Championship".

So GB or the sons of Nippon for gold. It would be great for british hockey to reach a higher level.
    And who thought some 10 yrs ago that Japan would be the "small brother" in Asian hockey?!

Quote Originally Posted by BhamJohn View Post
    Looks like whoever is in goal for Holland just played his last game for the national team :)

Obviously getting to the DEL2 next season was far more important than some supposed "World Championship".
    Just watched the highlights, and that was some of the single most abysmal goaltending I've witnessed.
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

IHF Prospect
    I would say so, yes.

IHF Member

TIJSC Trappers

First of all Tilburg are the champion for the second time in a row!

The NIJB and the club where agree that when Tilburg play in the play-offs that other people play on the nationalteam.
    Further we missed more players who are playing in the play--off in Canada ,Russia or are injured. We are a little icehockey nation so when you miss a lot of players it is ver difficult to get a good team. Next year division lower it would be more difficult because the tournament start earlier. so that more players couldnot play on the national team.

Greetings,
    Rowan

So, will Tilburg play in DEL 2 next season ?

IHF Member

Tilburg

Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    So, will Tilburg play in DEL 2 next season ?
    No they are not allowed to play in the DEL 2.

Rowan

IHF Prospect
    Estonia v Netherlands was much closer than expected. Rooba and Makrov dragging us out of the gutter once again.

IHF Member
    The NIJB and the club where agree that when Tilburg play in the play-offs that other people play on the nationalteam.
    I wonder where is the interest of NIJB as the representative of the Dutch hockey in general to support further Tilburg's participation in Oberliga? It would have been better for the Dutch to ban Tilburg and if any Dutch player is good enough to play professionally in Oberliga (if they are even professionals there) let him find the club himself. If all the Dutch players were distributed among German Oberliga clubs more of them would have been available for the national team.

I guess, either people who run NIJB are on very good terms with the Tilburg mangement or they simply don't care about the Dutch hockey. If anything, NIJB should have asked from German hockey federation to make calendar in such way not to interfere with the Division IB tournament.

I also hold IIHF responsible because it should have some control over what is going on under its umbrella. As it turns, some European hockey leagues have the same negative influence over the players' participation on World Championships as NHL and AHL have.

IHF Staff
    I wonder where is the interest of NIJB as the representative of the Dutch hockey in general to support further Tilburg's participation in Oberliga? It would have been better for the Dutch to ban Tilburg and if any Dutch player is good enough to play professionally in Oberliga (if they are even professionals there) let him find the club himself. If all the Dutch players were distributed among German Oberliga clubs more of them would have been available for the national team.

I guess, either people who run NIJB are on very good terms with the Tilburg mangement or they simply don't care about the Dutch hockey. If anything, NIJB should have asked from German hockey federation to make calendar in such way not to interfere with the Division IB tournament.

I also hold IIHF responsible because it should have some control over what is going on under its umbrella. As it turns, some European hockey leagues have the same negative influence over the players' participation on World Championships as NHL and AHL have.
    It is highly doubtful that German Oberiga clubs would hire Dutch players to any substantial extent as they would have to compete with all the Canadians, Americans, Czechs, Slovaks etc. that now take the import spots in this leage and who come from much better hockey countries. So having Tilburg in Oberliga gets a team of Dutch players the chance to play on a level that BeNe League can't offer. The other option is to bring Tillburg, a club that obviously has the potential to do more than what BeNe League needs, down to this level and strip the whole country of the only opportunity to have at least one fully professional team. I don't think that would be beneficial to the national team program in the long run.
    Sure the scheduling conflict makes the NT suffer for now but not allowing Tilburg into Oberliga seems like something of a death cure for Dutch hockey...

IHF Member
    The fact that Tilburg plays in German league and its players are thus unavailable for the national team, effectively removed both the club and its players from the Dutch hockey. Dutch hockey as such has nothing from Tilburg's participation in Oberliga or in other words, Dutch hockey exists as Tilburg and its players are not Dutch at all.

The question is whether Dutch federation exists for the purpose of those 14 players and one club, or the Dutch hockey in general.

IHF Member
    No they are not allowed to play in the DEL 2.

Rowan
    So was there really any point in moving to Germany?

I can understand a team wishing to play a higher level of hockey, but surely they should have gone somewhere that would have been OK with them progressing up the leagues - being trapped (no pun intended) in the German third division, combined with the effect it has had on the national squad makes this seem like a stupid decision.

So was there really any point in moving to Germany?

I can understand a team wishing to play a higher level of hockey, but surely they should have gone somewhere that would have been OK with them progressing up the leagues - being trapped (no pun intended) in the German third division, combined with the effect it has had on the national squad makes this seem like a stupid decision.
    That's how I see it too. Let's be realistic here too, Oberliga isn't exactly a highly visible league, whereas EBEL teams like AV19 and Medvescak (as of next year again) have good exposure and offer Hungarian and Croatian players a level that isn't available in their home leagues. With that greater exposure, they can secure better sponsorship and investment and raise the profile of the sport throughout the country. Individual players, as opposed the most of the nation's top 25, can then get offers abroad, bringing that experience home to national team camps and younger generations if they go into coaching. Tilburg wouldn't have had EBEL as an option, but would the Danish league have been a better option?
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

IHF Member
    weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell that was a fun tournament :D

unless you like the funky orange colored squad that was there like me ... in that case it wasn't all that awesome, but still superawesome!

I'll comment on some of the details later today but in all I had a great time, city was fun, arena was superfun and the whole thing was put together really well ... a lot better then the Orange squad

IHF Member
    The fact that Tilburg plays in German league and its players are thus unavailable for the national team, effectively removed both the club and its players from the Dutch hockey. Dutch hockey as such has nothing from Tilburg's participation in Oberliga or in other words, Dutch hockey exists as Tilburg and its players are not Dutch at all.

The question is whether Dutch federation exists for the purpose of those 14 players and one club, or the Dutch hockey in general.

I'll comment on this bit now

I somewhat agree to the extend that Tilburg and it's players now play in a foreign competition and that makes them for the purpose of the national squad as unreliable as every other player that plays overseas and that should be put into policy instead of waiting for the last possible moment to select other players (in fact when I boarded my plane I still did not know what the roster looked like!)

Apperantly some players have even declined for the tournament because they would've been bumped if Tilburg had finished early and that to me is the wrong way of going about things

from Beneliga's top 20 topscorers 13 were not on the roster and from the top 10 top scoring Defencemen no less then 9 (NINE!) did not make the roster while we only brought 5 D's to the tournament!!
    2 of those play offense most of the time!!!!!!
    1 of those did not even ring a bell with me and I follow the sport pretty closely ...
    we did not even have 4 full lines from the start to finish hoping the Tilburgers would show up after the second restday or something which makes absolutely no goddamned sense at all

I know it sucks having this many internationals playing finals during the world championships but we have more then 15 capable hockeyplayers, we could have and probably should have fielded a far better more rounded squad with four lines instead of three then we did and instead of somedy saying 'w000ps that was my bad' important people start poking holes in Beneliga and it's players (not enough ambition and they need to train more and play more games and blablahardiebla).

I'm not a happy dude

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information