Thread: Manitoba Bisons v Belfast/Braehead/TBD

Manitoba Bisons v Belfast/Edinburgh/Braehead

I posted in the Bison thread that the Herd are visiting the British Isles in August:
    http://forums.internationalhockey.ne...l=1#post287870

Sat August 26, 2017 - Belfast Giants
    Sun August 27, 2017 - Belfast Giants
    Wed August 30, 2017 - TBD
    Thu August 31, 2017 - Braehead Clan

The schedule is here:
    http://gobisons.ca/schedule.aspx?path=mhockey
    Last edited by Hollywood; 16-07-2017 at 01:48. Reason: post image links

July 1: Tour Schedule Completed

The Bisons have completed the schedule for their pre-season tour to Northern Ireland and Scotland. The 3rd game has been shifted to Aug 29th and they will face the Edinburgh Capitals at the Murrayfield Ice Rink. The revised schedule is as follows:

Sat Aug 26 at Belfast Giants
    Sun Aug 27 at Belfast Giants
    Tue Aug 29 at Edinburgh Capitals
    Thu Aug 31 at Braehead Clan

There were no other schedule announcements in the CWUAA.

Links:
    ¶ [U of M Schedule]
    ¶ [Belfast Giants Site]
    ¶ [Attendance Story @IIHF] ∞ [@Giants]
    ¶ [Adam Keefe @eliteprospects]
    ¶ [Edinburgh Capitals]
    ¶ [Mike Cazzola Story] ∞ [@eliteprospects]
    ¶ [Braehead Clan]

I looked through the Bison opponents' team sites and there are a few factors of interest.

First, the Belfast Giants are one of Europe's Top 100 teams in crowd support. In 2016-17 they were 70th in European attendance, and first in the EIHL, with an average crowd of 4,603 per game. The EIHL as a whole ranks 7th in Europe, at 2,842 per game. That's first amongst hockey's little countries. The details are in the links.

Second, former Manitoba Moose useless forward Adam Keefe is the Giants' coach. What I remember about Keefe is that he would get in a useless fight with some other non-fighter at a time when there was no apparent reason for it. Then he'd give his hair a flick in a "Pantene moment" when separated by the linesmen. He was definitely not AHL-calibre. He must have somehow picked up some hockey knowledge along the way.

And third, former Acadia Axeman Mike Cazzola has been signed by the Edinburgh Capitals. He averaged more than a point per game with Acadia (130 in 107 games). Last season he scored 30 goals in the ECHL.
    Last edited by Hollywood; 16-07-2017 at 01:49. Reason: photobucket to post image

Aug 26-27: Bisons Split in Belfast

The only links I could find were from Belfast's Twitter feed. They have loads of good photos but no summary nor boxscore. They did not mention who scored the Bison goals. So I have posted what is there.

Saturday, August 26, 2017

MANITOBA BISONS 6
    BELFAST GIANTS 4

Links:

Giants' Tweets: [1st] : [2nd] : [Final]
    UofM: [Schedule/Results Page]

The Bisons held period leads of 3-1 and 5-2. The Giants pulled to within 1 before the Bisons put it away.

Channing Bresciani and Brett Brooks in mid-ice.

Justin Augert and the new #16 can't stop a crease crash goal. I hope he's a defenceman.

Byron Spriggs got the win.

Zach Franko takes over Jordan Depape's #27.

Sunday, August 27, 2017

MANITOBA BISONS 6
    BELFAST GIANTS 7
    (in overtime)

Links:

Giants' Tweets: [1st] : [2nd] : [Final]

This must have been wild. The Bisons had period leads of 2-1 and 4-2. But Belfast scored 4 goals in the 3rd to take a 6-4 lead. The Bisons rallied to force overtime, including a last-minute goal.

Looks like Sean Christensen is back.

Adam Henry is one of many Bison defencemen to have a picture taken.

I wonder if Rene Hunter crushed anybody.

Preview: Aug 29-31: Bisons in Scotland

MANITOBA BISONS (0-0-0, 1-0-1)
    EDINBURGH CAPITALS (0-0-0, 0-0-0)
    BRAEHEAD CLAN (0-0-0, 1-3-0)

Tuesday, August 29th, 1:30 PM CDT @ Murrayfield Ice Rink (Edinburgh, Scotland)
    Thursday, August 31st, 1:30 PM CDT @ Braehead Arena (Glasgow, Scotland)

Links:
    ¶ Capitals' Stories: [Focus on the Bisons] ∞ [Strong Squad Ready]
    ¶ Roster: [@Elite Prospects] ∞ [@Capitals]
    ¶ Elite Prospects career stats: [Taylor Stefishen] ∞ [Mike Cazzola] ∞ [Dylan Anderson] ∞ [Michael D'Orazio]
    ¶ Capitals': [Facebook] ∞ [Twitter] ∞ [YouTube]
    ¶ Murrayfield Ice Rink: [History]
    ¶ Clan Stories: [Ryan Potulny Signed] ∞ [Fixtures/Results]
    ¶ Roster: [@Elite Prospects] ∞ [@Clan]
    ¶ Clan: [Facebook] ∞ [Twitter] ∞ [Event Page]

The Bison tour has finished its Irish leg and now it is time for the Scottish leg. I believe the last time the Bisons played in Scotland was 1931 when they were touring before and after the world championship tournament. They stopped in England and beat their national team four times (7-0, 7-1, 2-1, and 3-2) and Oxford University once (4-0) before defeating the Scottish national team (11-1).

The Edinburgh Capitals are the Bisons' first Scottish opponent of the tour. The Capitals have four former CIS/USports players on their roster. Taylor Stefishen played for the Calgary Dinos from 2011-12 through 2013-14 and has since played in the AHL, ECHL, and various Euro leagues. Mike Cazzola was with Acadia from 2012-13 through 2015-16, then split last season between the AHL and ECHL. Dylan Anderson played for Queen's last year, after four years with Acadia. Michael D'Orazio is entering his second season with Edinburgh after having played five seasons for St. Mary's.

Last year the Capitals were last in the EIHL (then a 10 team league). Their record was 16-33-3. Their head coach is former NHLer Dmitri Kristich.

The team even has cheerleaders, one of whom is very tall, as seen in the photo. They also incorporate the Scottish flag into their jerseys. Nice touch.

The Braehead Clan were 5th in the EIHL last year, at 24-22-6. They have no CIS grads. Of note, Clan goaltender Ryan Nie played for the Johnstown Chiefs (of Slapshot fame) in 2007-08. Was he mentored by Denis Lemieux? Also, forward Tyler Scofield played for the OCN Blizzard (of the MJHL) in 2004-05.

Just today, the Clan inked former NHLer Ryan Potulny.

The two Bison opponents this week are joined by two more teams from Scotland, the Dundee Stars and Fife Flyers. (Fife is a historic team that returned to top tier hockey in the UK the same season as the Jets returned to Winnipeg.) The four Scottish teams also have a competition for the Scottish Cup. The event is being held in Edinburgh September 9th and 10th. The four teams will rotate hosting this each season.

Manitoba beat Braehead 7-1, and I believe it was 4-0 after the first period.
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

Quote Originally Posted by Conesy View Post
    Manitoba beat Braehead 7-1, and I believe it was 4-0 after the first period.
    I am re-posting what I posted in the Bison thread, with all updated links.

Aug 29: Bisons Edge Capitals

MANITOBA BISONS 2
    EDINBURGH CAPITALS 1

Links:

Capitals' Tweets: [1st] : [2nd] : [Final] : [MoM]
    Capitals' Site: [Fixtures/Results Page] ∞ [Match Reports]
    Game stories: [Edinburgh Reporter]
    Elite Prospects career stats: [Calum Robertson]

Details are sketchy because while the UK teams love their pictures they have not twigged on to boxscores or summaries. But Edinburgh has a newspaper with a story, which tells us that Bison goals were scored by newcomers Lucas Skrumeda and Michael St. Croix. Skrumeda's opener came after 4 minutes and Calum Robertson scored after 10 minutes to tie it up. St. Croix's winner came with just 6 seconds left. Robertson was "Man of the Match" for the Scots and Channing Bresciani countered for the Herd.

Robertson is just 16 years old, and a valuable Scottish non-import. He played Under-16 as a 13 and 14 year old, notching 44 goals in 24 games.While playing Under-20 as a 14 and 15 year old he scored 32 goals in 19 games. Also as a 15 year old, he scored 8 goals in 9 games in the SNL (2nd tier men's league behind the EIHL) and 2 more in 5 games for Britain in the Under-18 worlds.

A joint team picture is a nice touch.

LATE LINKS

Some late links from the Belfast series have popped up.

Links:

Game stories: [Giants' Site] ∞ [Belfast Telegraph]

Aug 31: Big Win for Bisons

MANITOBA BISONS 7
    BRAEHEAD CLAN 1

Links:

Clan Tweets: [1st] : [1st pix] : [2nd] : [2nd pix] : [Final]
    Clan Site: [Preview] ∞ [Fixtures/Results Page]
    Audio: [YouTube: Clan Radio]
    Game stories: [The Gazette - story to come]

No game stories are available as I post, so Twitter is my friend. The Bisons enjoyed period leads of 4-0 and 5-1 en route to a convincing win. I included two posts which contain four pictures each, and there were many more if you feel like searching.

An interesting bonus is the YouTube link. If you want to hear play-by-play with a Scottish accent, give it a listen. I listened at the end of the 1st period and it sounded like Wasylak, Franko, Henry, and Zajac scored in that period. Some names don't sound the same in Scottish. I believe that the other scorers were Laurencelle, Brooks, and Shawn Bowles. I suspect they will in due time upload some highlights to that channel.

So the Bisons end the tour 3-0-1, which is decent enough.

Victor Sharonov is a 6'5" Russian who was on the roster but did not play in the 2nd semester last year.

Byron Spriggs was between the pipes.

Opponents hit the ice when Jonah Wasylak is around.

Braehead unveiled their new jerseys. They blended the ads better than most Euro jerseys.

Sept 1: More UK Links

LATE LINKS

Some new links have been found about the Bison trip to the British Isles.

Link:

BBC story: [Keefe Interview]

I still have not found a good game story on either Belfast game which at least says who scored for the Bisons. I don't think UK teams ever upload boxscores or summaries, at least for pre-season games. But lots of photos and links to buy tickets, which is good.

Links:

Edinburgh Reporter: [Khristich Pre-Game] : [Khristich Post-Game] : [Calum Robertson Profile] : [Robertson MOM]
    Student Newspaper: [Game Story]

We now know that the Bison scorers were Zach Franko and Michael St. Croix. In goal, Byron Spriggs started and Dasan Sydora came in mid-way in the 2nd period.

Links:

The Herald: [Coach John Tripp]
    Evening Times: [Clan Page] : [Potulny Signing]
    Team Site: [Game Story]

The team's game story tells us all the Bison scorers. Here they are, in order:
    1st period: Jonah Wasylak, Zach Franko, Adam Henry, Nick Zajac
    2nd period: Blake Heinrich
    3rd period: Michael St. Croix, Shawn Bowles

Byron Spriggs went the distance in goal. I have not seen in photos nor mentioned in a story last season's back-up goaltender Justin Paulic, nor any new recruit in net. The Bisons (and all teams for that matter) really need to upload roster pages for 2017-18.

Thread Information