Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2018 World Juniors in Buffalo (USA)

The quarterfinals are now set:
    Canada-Switzerland
    Czech Republic-Finland
    Sweden-Slovakia
    US-Russia
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

I am a bit nervous about the slovak game..they got some skilled forwards that can do damage.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stolpskott View Post
    I am a bit nervous about the slovak game..they got some skilled forwards that can do damage.
    I'd be more concerned with Sweden's history of preliminary round perfection and playoff round crash and burn.
    The Swedes are now riding a 44 game winning streak in group phase play dating back to 2009.
    But Sweden has but one gold medal to show for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wagon View Post
    Well..here are my comments so far....

In the CAN-SVK game I coudn't believe there was no penalty on the Bean collision - that had to be either interference, hooking or something, Fortunately no serious injuries but a really bad no-call.
    Agree 100%. My thought was exactly the same when I saw the replay. Bean was never given an opportunity to make a play on the puck and was hit before the players would have battled for it. Interference in any rule book. Could have easily been elevated to a 5 + GM

Quote Originally Posted by Heatleysucks View Post
    The host Americans upset loss to Slovakia may prove very costly.
    The loss led to a second place finish in their group, despite beating Canada in a shoot out.
    Now tonight the Russians lost their final preliminary game by shoot out to Sweden.
    That means a third place finish for them and a quarter final match against the US.
    It is a QF pairing I'm sure neither side anticipated or desired.
    One medal contender is going to go home early.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conesy View Post
    Given the way the US has been playing, I wouldn't be surprised if they crashed out
    I’m not sure why you feel that way. I wouldn’t want to be in Russia’s shoes.

Why does Canada totally suck in shoot outs ? This is true at U-20 and Worlds. Seems you should win ~50% of these stupid things if you've played 70,minutes and are still tied - ie talent level is approximately equa!? No idea what the stats are but I'd guess Canada has the lowest win % of anybody. (Aside from Canada being hopeless at these, it is a totally lame way to decide a great sporting event.
    I agree Canada seems to be cursed when it comes to the SO, but I had a different observation (reason) in the outdoor game loss to the US. I observed a different tactic by the 2 goalies. In a game like that, with the snow and cold making for terrible ice conditions, if I’m a goalie, I want to force players to try and deke me rather then shoot, figuring it will be more difficult to control the puck cleanly. The US goalie came well out of his net on every shootout attempt slowly backing up as players approached. This makes a lot of sense to me. It would tend to force players to deke as the target for shots get eliminated. High percentage play for the goalie. The Canadian goalie Hart stayed well back in his net and generally stayed still hoping to force the US players to make the 1st move. But by doing so, he gave the shooters a clear 2nd option (and bigger target) to shoot at. The US goal scorers all shot if I recall and only Middlestadt who attempted a deke failed to score. Despite Canada’s history of poor SO performance, in this case, I think a superior US goaltender strategy helped

The refs have been pretty bad in this tourney. In Slovakia against Denmark game, the Danish goal was scored after a very clear offside. Towards the end of the game when the Danes became desperate and started to play very aggressively following a time out there was a clear hit to the head from the Danish captain Wejse on a Slovak player which should have been a 5 minute penalty based on IIHF rules. Instead there was a penalty to a different Danish player and a Slovak player who got pushy with each other after the hit.

I am not very optimistic about the Sweden game tonight to be honest. It would need an even bigger miracle than the US game. The Slovak team has some talented players but quite a few of them have been underperforming somewhat. Also it's like the team has two modes - either they are extremely slow appearing even slower than some Div IA teams or when they get faster they have trouble managing even one simple pass. But I have been wrong before.
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

See you in 2019...perhaps...

Day 6 results

Switzerland - Czech republic 3:6 (1:2, 2:2, 0:2)
    Goals: Jager (Miranda, Kurashev), Rohrbach, Riva (le Coultre, Heim) - Lauko (Hajek, Budik), Necas (Kaut, Hajek), Reichel (Pavlik), Kaut (Michnac, Necas), Kurovsky (Kodytek), Reichel (Kurovsky)

USA - Finland 5:4 (2:0, 2:2, 1:2)
    Goals: Frederic (Tufte, Yamamoto), Mittelstadt (Tkachuk), Anderson (Tkachuk, Fox), Anderson (Fox, Mittelstadt), Fox (Mittelstadt, Tkachuk) - Rasanen (Tolvanen), Tolvanen (Jokiharju, Vesalainen), Koppanen (Nurmi, Vaakanainen), Vesalainen (Juolevi, Valimaki)

Slovakia - Denmark 5:1 (1:1, 2:0, 2:0)
    Goals: 12. Roman (Tamáši), 30. Fehérváry (Buček, Ružička), 35. Roman, 45. Buček (Fehérváry), 46. Liška (Kundrik, Solenský) – 5. Blichfeld (Krag Christensen, Röndbjerg).

Russia - Sweden 3:4 SO (2:2, 0:0, 1:1 - 0:0, 0:1)

Goals: Sokolov (Malstev, Polodyan), Kostin (Ivanov), Polodyan (Shepelev, Ivanov) - Andersson (Liljegren, Nylander), Liljegren (Soderlund, Lindstrom), Gustafsson (Jonsson, Davidsson), GWS Steen

FYI: Sweden's best forward Lias Andersson is injured

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stolpskott View Post
    FYI: Sweden's best forward Lias Andersson is injured
    Sweden survived a tough QF match against Slovakia, 3-2.

IHF Member
    The least dramatic game today was Canada's 8-2 pounding on the Swiss.
    OTOH, the Finland Czech Republic game had a dramatic come from behind finish.
    Czech coach Filip Pesan pulled his goalie with over three minutes to go, a move virtually unheard of in European hockey up until now.
    But his gutsy move paid off as the Czechs tied it and won in a shoot out 4-3 despite being badly outshot.

But the most dramatic game probably was the Belarus-Denmark relegation match in which the Danes scored two goals in the last minute of play to steal a win 5-4 and a 1-0 lead in the best of 3 series..

IHF Member
    Here are the attendance figures for the five Team USA games so far, courtesy of the official IIHF site:

Denmark 7,207
    Slovakia 8,188
    Canada 44,592
    Finland 7,884
    Russia (QF) 6,242

The total attendance for the four games at the KeyBank Center is 29,521 or about 7,380 per game.
    Interesting that the worst attended game was the do or die QF playoff against arch rival Russia.
    Even the Denmark game outdrew Tuesday's crucial match against the Russians.
    But that might be because the ticket prices, already exorbitant, are jacked up even higher through the medal round.

Quote Originally Posted by Heatleysucks View Post
    The least dramatic game today was Canada's 8-2 pounding on the Swiss.
    OTOH, the Finland Czech Republic game had a dramatic come from behind finish.
    Czech coach Filip Pesan pulled his goalie with over three minutes to go, a move virtually unheard of in European hockey up until now.
    But his gutsy move paid off as the Czechs tied it and won in a shoot out 4-3 despite being badly outshot.

But the most dramatic game probably was the Belarus-Denmark relegation match in which the Danes scored two goals in the last minute of play to steal a win 5-4 and a 1-0 lead in the best of 3 series..
    It's not the first time a European team did this at the WJC. I remember Slovak coach Stefan Mikes pulled the goalie even earlier in the 2009 WJC semifinal against Sweden. Might have been even 4 minutes or so until the end of the 3rd. Back then Tomas Tatar managed to score a goal and bring the score closer but Sweden scored an EN goal afterwards.

Anyway, the Czechs finally managed to make it into the SF after 10+ years.

IHF Member
    Wow...I wished I had watched the USA-SWE game. Summary looks wild. 2 shorties on the same penalty ?? How does that happen ?
    US scores 2 late to make it exciting.

Congrats to Sweden on a well earned semi final win. USA ultimately hurt themselves by losing a game they should have vs Slovakia. This got them the tougher semi final opponent which lead to their downfall

IHF Member
    Wow...I wished I had watched the USA-SWE game. Summary looks wild. 2 shorties on the same penalty ?? How does that happen ?
    US scores 2 late to make it exciting.
    Made it exciting but too little too late.
    That's two minutes and eight seconds Team USA and in particular goalie Joseph Woll would like to have over again.
    So the home ice jinx continues for the Americans as they miss out on gold for the sixth time as host.

Canada pounded the Czechs 7-2, and honestly, they're looking like the favorites to win it all this year
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Conesy View Post
    Canada pounded the Czechs 7-2, and honestly, they're looking like the favorites to win it all this year
    Canada will be going for gold medal #17 while Sweden is looking for its third.
    Sweden's last gold was relatively recent in 2012 but the first was all the way back to 1981 (remember Jan Erixon?).
    That year Canada sent the Cornwall Royals to represent the country and finished 7th of eight teams.
    It would be the last time Hockey Canada would send a CHL team for obvious reasons.

Canada will be a tough nut to crack. Sweden will need their best game.
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

Good game so far, tight and lots of great plays. Sweden had taken a couple of unnecessary penalties.

Congratulations Canada, stronger tonight. Sweden took to many penalties and could not get enough traction in their 5-on-5 game.

6 Swedish penalties vs 1 Canadian. I do not think that correctly reflects the game. But a well deserved win for Canada none the less.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennison View Post
    Congratulations Canada, stronger tonight. Sweden took to many penalties and could not get enough traction in their 5-on-5 game.
    Another devastating heartbreaker for Sweden.
    The game winner came with just 1:40 left in regulation and then the empty net clincher 26 seconds later.

That Canada Sweden final was one of the higher quality games I have seen in quite some time. Have to be impressed with the Swedish players skill and team play it was extremely good. There were long stretches 5 on 5 they were superior to Canada. But they took some “rookie” style penalties that were so obvious the refs had to call them. And I can’t explain the long historical habit we have in Canada scoring winning goals in the final minutes of games but am sure glad we have that pattern.

IHF Member
    Some great story lines for Canada...the no-name team and the 13th fwd who rarely saw the ice and had 0 goals in the tournament (the only fwd with no goals) scores the winner. Always feel bad for the 2nd place team, those kids wanted it just as bad. I hope that fan offers the medal back -- I'm sure it will be wanted some day. No disgrace in a silver - especially after that game.

This team was almost all 19 year olds, I don't think Canada has many guys back and this draft year is a very weak one for Canada.
    Next year could be a tough year for the Maple Leaf.

IHF Member
    Since they won the gold why 2nd guess ....(but can't resist)....one interesting thing about that Canadian team was that lines 2 thru 4 were very equal in terms of production/skill level. Unlike most teams where there are clearly defined 1rst & 2nd lines it wasn't the case with this team, yet the coaching staff distributed the ice time as if they did. Coaches are used to certain formulas but given the talent distribution it might have been worthwhile to spread the ice time more evenly then a typical team. Just a thought for discussion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information