Thread: 2018 U20 Div III

IHF Member

2018 U20 Div III

Excellent first day, with three close games. All to play for. Great win for ISR over CHN.

http://www.iihf.com/competition/648/

Looks like close games the second day as well.
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

IHF Member
    Yes and another win for Israel and a second defeat for China. Still pretty unpredictable. Good to see such close competition amongst the minor Hockey nations.

Geoff

IHF Member
    A third win for Israel today, only Iceland can stop them winning now.

Geoff

IHF Member
    Congratulations to Israel who have won the Division and gained promotion. 6-2 win over Iceland today for fourth straight win.
    New Zealand look to be heading for relegation.
    Geoff

IHF Member

Dallas Nice win and deserved gold to Israel...

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffH View Post
    Congratulations to Israel who have won the Division and gained promotion. 6-2 win over Iceland today for fourth straight win.
    New Zealand look to be heading for relegation.
    Geoff
    Congratulations to all the players but special mention to our Dallas Snipers player Marom Avraham who has been playing very well for us and for his national team.

Israel surprisingly good, New Zealand taking a tough beating by China now and will be relegated to DivIIIQ for next year.
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

IHF Member
    Looking at the schedule for Division III Qualification, and see that Turkmenistan dropped out. Now it's just a two-team tournament between Taipei and South Africa, playing three games. A shame the Turkmen left, hope they still go to the senior World Championship, and come for the 2019 World Juniors.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiser_matias View Post
    Looking at the schedule for Division III Qualification, and see that Turkmenistan dropped out. Now it's just a two-team tournament between Taipei and South Africa, playing three games. A shame the Turkmen left, hope they still go to the senior World Championship, and come for the 2019 World Juniors.
    This isn't too much of a surprise given the expensive and (presumably) troublesome travel arrangements. It is very disappointing and by IIHF bylaws, they should be fined for this withdrawal.

One possibility is that the entry list only consisted of 16 skaters and 2 goaltenders so a single injury may have prevented them from icing a team with the minimum required players. Another possibility which I hope it is not the case, would be eligibility. When Armenia first entered the World Championships in 2003, they were a very late withdrawal because players didn't have the correct passports. Then in 2007, it was claimed the Armenian players couldn't secure visas. I sincerely hope the Turkmen NGB didn't try to pull a fast one.

Did anybody save their entry list PDF before it was removed?
    Last edited by Trim; 02-02-2018 at 18:30.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

IHF Member
    Disappointing. Pretty dumb planning by the IIHF to expect TPE and TKM to go all that way for just 2 games. This was TKM’s first entry in an IIHF event and they withdrew very late so I guess it was eligibility issues. They would no doubt have had some Russian dual nationals on their roster. Hope they get it sorted out before their Senior team is due to play.

Geoff

IHF Member
    Disappointing. Pretty dumb planning by the IIHF to expect TPE and TKM to go all that way for just 2 games. This was TKM’s first entry in an IIHF event and they withdrew very late so I guess it was eligibility issues. They would no doubt have had some Russian dual nationals on their roster. Hope they get it sorted out before their Senior team is due to play.

Geoff
    I took a look at the entry list while it was up, and while there were a few Russian names, the vast majority of the players had very Turkmen names. Now that obviously doesn't prove anything, but it was nice to see that it wasn't just ethnic Russians joining the Turkmen team (especially since something like only 4% of the country is ethnic Russian, it would look suspicious if they were all Russians). Also noted there was no teams listed for the players, just "Turkmenistan" listed, which isn't encouraging.

Also noted there was no teams listed for the players, just "Turkmenistan" listed, which isn't encouraging.
    Unless the national junior team plays in the national league, after all, Slovakia and the USA have such "league" national teams.

Obviously, the OCA and IIHF have very different eligibility requirements but three nominated players, forwards Ishan Veleyev, Yakut Berdiyev and Baymyrat Baymyradov, were iced at the Asian Winter Games last year. This doesn't mean much but one player was marked on the IIHF entry list sheet as "new entry," Ruslan Gapbarov. The other possibility is age discrepancies, if they so chose to have ineligible players.

With so few nominated players, even one ineligible player would lead to a withdrawal. Though when the UAE U18s played at the Worlds with an insufficient number, their games remained scheduled and were played as exhibitions.

IHF Member
    Has someone printed out and still have the preliminary roster from Turkenistan for sending me?
    Cheers, Franco

IHF Member
    Found the Turkmenistan roster on my history, figured I'd share it here:

http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/649/IHM6...2E_2_0_TKM.pdf

IHF Member
    Back on the ice South Africa has won the first two games against Chinese Taipei, to gain promotion to Div III next year. 1-0 and 5-4. Third game cancelled.

Geoff
    Last edited by GeoffH; 07-02-2018 at 09:29.

Back on the ice South Africa has won the first two games against Chinese Taipei, to gain promotion to Div III next year. 1-0 and 5-4. Third game cancelled.

Geoff
    I suppose the game was cancelled because of World Championship regulations concerning teams' schedules as no team can play three consecutive days but that's kind of a bummer. Sure, the Taipei team would have traveled a long way and only expected to play two games initially but with the ice time already paid for, presumably, and the games having been very competitive, it feels like a waste to not play at all. It would be nice if they were able to play a mixed-squad exhibition at least.

IHF Member
    .... but actual both teams played a friendly game..... so, they play three games in three days....
    Cheers, Franco

IHF Member
    Found the Turkmenistan roster on my history, figured I'd share it here:

http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/649/IHM6...2E_2_0_TKM.pdf
    thanks!!
    Cheers, Franco

IHF Member
    I hope the IIHF comes up with a better format for Division III next year.

Geoff

IHF Member
    Chinese Taipei won the game 6:4...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzIYjp1puCE
    Cheers, Franco

Thread Information