Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2018 IIHF World Championships

Denmark: 3, Korea: 1
    Austria: 4, Belarus: 0

It's the first time since 2008 that a promoted team has stayed up, so congrats to Austria! For Belarus, their 14 year stay at the top has ended.
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

IHF Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Conesy View Post
    Denmark: 3, Korea: 1
    Austria: 4, Belarus: 0

It's the first time since 2008 that a promoted team has stayed up, so congrats to Austria! For Belarus, their 14 year stay at the top has ended.
    And the first time Austria remains up since 14 years. And that despite an absolutely unimpressive performance by AUT...thx to a completely derailed Belarus squad. But then again, AUT got relegated more than one with all bad luck you can have so we'll take it.

IHF Member
    Well guys, fortunately I didn't get to watch the game, so I'm going just by the summary, but I thought Canada might be a bit more competitive this year. Based on their line-up this is a pretty bad spanking. I expected the goalies to be mediocre but figured we'd have a reasonable offense. Puts some pressure on McDavid in that most of us expected Edmonton would be competitive this year and they were awful and he's wearing the C here as well. Eleven minor penalties ? WTH.

Still plenty of time of course as long as they manage to crack the quarters.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wagon View Post
    Well guys, fortunately I didn't get to watch the game, so I'm going just by the summary, but I thought Canada might be a bit more competitive this year. Based on their line-up this is a pretty bad spanking. I expected the goalies to be mediocre but figured we'd have a reasonable offense. Puts some pressure on McDavid in that most of us expected Edmonton would be competitive this year and they were awful and he's wearing the C here as well. Eleven minor penalties ? WTH.

Still plenty of time of course as long as they manage to crack the quarters.
    I hope this was an anomaly but that was a very poor game for Canada.
    Hard to mount any offensive attack when you spend half the game in the penalty box.
    I thought McDavid was fine but he was a man alone out there with precious little help from his team mates.
    Hopefully Canada will put this stinker behind them and close out the preliminary round against Latvia and Germany.
    A 5-1-1 record might be good enough for second if the Americans beat Finland.

Man, Finland beat Canada 5-1 thanks to some sloppy plays. Kinda expected things to be a bit closer.
    Also, Russia hung on to beat Switzerland 5-4.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heatleysucks View Post
    I hope this was an anomaly but that was a very poor game for Canada.
    Hard to mount any offensive attack when you spend half the game in the penalty box.
    I thought McDavid was fine but he was a man alone out there with precious little help from his team mates.
    Hopefully Canada will put this stinker behind them and close out the preliminary round against Latvia and Germany.
    A 5-1-1 record might be good enough for second if the Americans beat Finland.
    We've been talking about blow-outs and another factor in this tournament is keeping your A game and not getting complacent after some comfortable "Ws". In this case Canada's previous 3 games were not close, "so" that could explain (excuse ?) a slow start. But there was no response after going down by 2 in the first and (it sounds like) a lot of lazy penalties. So, yeah, still hope for a big rebound and better to come.

...there was no response after going down by 2 in the first and (it sounds like) a lot of lazy penalties...
    Some lazy penalties, that's right. Indeed, there was some response by Canada, incl. some PBs, especially during the 2nd period. However, the Finns hang on there (barely). You could see the frustration coming on in the early 3rd, making the serious come-back over.

That may have been, however, more a result than a reason. The Finns played an unexpectedly strong defencive game and worked really hard. I think they came to the game more or less as underdogs, given a very young roster. Still a move to play powerplay with 5 FWs against Canada is almost insolent. You need to be pretty confident you won't give a puck up during your PB and if you do, you need to take it back fast. I don't know exact stats but I'm pretty sure national Team Finland has never done that in any major hockey tournament against any team before. It payed off well, this time.

It was just a preliminary game but it gave the some confidence back to the team Fin after the disappointment against Den.

The Czechs blank France 6-0 while the US beats Norway 9-3

IHF Member
    The Czechs blank France 6-0 while the US beats Norway 9-3
    A result that also sets up a “relegation final” between Norway and Korea.

The former has the advantage of only needing one point and it’s a game Norway should win, but with a lot on the line other factors may play in.

IHF Member
    Apparently CAN is adding Kyle Turris. I think this is a bad move (unless there is an injury I'm unaware of). Adding a guy half way thru the tournament to a team that is trying to find an identity doesn't make sense. Turris is an OK player but hardly a game changer and they already have plenty of guys who should be able to contribute offense. Looks like a panic move.

Now if there was a top notch tender available....

Apparently CAN is adding Kyle Turris. I think this is a bad move (unless there is an injury I'm unaware of). Adding a guy half way thru the tournament to a team that is trying to find an identity doesn't make sense. Turris is an OK player but hardly a game changer and they already have plenty of guys who should be able to contribute offense. Looks like a panic move.

Now if there was a top notch tender available....
    Not sure about Turris either. I agree with you that the goaltending has been the weak link here. The problem is who can they bring in? I think it will be McElhinney the rest of the way unless he gets shelled again. Cary Price, you are wanted in Denmark. Please call Team Canada.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alberto View Post
    Not sure about Turris either. I agree with you that the goaltending has been the weak link here. The problem is who can they bring in? I think it will be McElhinney the rest of the way unless he gets shelled again. Cary Price, you are wanted in Denmark. Please call Team Canada.
    Not sure if Price is the guy you would want right now.
    He's coming off the worst season of his career in GAA (3.11) and save pct (.900).
    Of course, the team in front of him contributed a lot to that but I just thought Price was on many nights not the goalie we know.

The two other scores from last night involve Sweden's 5-3 win over the Swiss while Germany pulled off the 3-2 OT win against the Finns

IHF Member
    Usually SVK gets the award for most inconsistent. Might be Finland this year, crushing CAN in between losses to Denmark & Germany.

IHF Member
    Usually SVK gets the award for most inconsistent. Might be Finland this year, crushing CAN in between losses to Denmark & Germany.
    Both Denmark and Germany got outstanding goal tending in those respective victories.
    Canada, to say the least, did not.

IHF Member
    One last comment on the adding guys late....someone agreed to play, has already spent 2 weeks with the team, played in 5 games and plenty of practices, team building events etc. Now they have to essentially sit and miss the games that count so the new guy can play. I wouldn't be happy and it's not like it's Malkin they are adding. Bad idea.

Canada has registered Michael DiPietro(Windsor Spitfires) as the 3rd goalkeeper. With the addition of Kyle Turris later on today or tomorrow, the roster is complete at 25 players. Does anyone know if any teams still have open spots?

Korea is officially relegated with their 3-0 loss to Norway. Russia came out with the second shutout of the day against Slovakia, winning 4-0.

Connor McJesus scores for Canada in OT to give them the 2-1 win over Latvia, where in the last game of the day, the Czechs hold off a late Austrian rally to persevere and win 4-3

IHF Staff
    Decent last effort of AUT to end the tourney. A showing like this in the crucial games against the other lesser teams would be hepful not to depend on another team's weakness in order not to get relegated but this only seems to work when there's nothing more at stake.

Canada is surprisingly flat but nevertheless a great GWG by McJesus (LOL). Looking forward to DEN-LAT tomorrow, all set for an exciting showdown. Are our Danish friends nervous?

Canada shuts out Germany 3-0 to finish in 3rd place. Will face either Sweden or Russia in the quarters. I am very interested to see if Denmark will qualify for the quarters. Tough game ahead for them against Latvia.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alberto View Post
    Canada shuts out Germany 3-0 to finish in 3rd place. Will face either Sweden or Russia in the quarters. I am very interested to see if Denmark will qualify for the quarters. Tough game ahead for them against Latvia.
    This has been a truly bizarre tournament.
    Finland struggled with unexpected losses to Denmark and Germany while Canada defeated both those countries comfortably.
    Yet in their head to head match it was no contest as Finland handed it to Canada 5-1.
    The United States were unbeaten headed into today's match with Finland, again having beaten two opponents the Finns lost to.
    Yet once again, Finland trounced the Americans 6-2 and the Finns win their group.
    That sets up a QF match against Switzerland for Finland.
    The Finns will be favoured but it wouldn't be much of a surprise, given how the tournament has gone so far, if they struggled against the Swiss.

Slovakia beats Belarus 7-4 to end the latter's tournament with zero wins

IHF Member
    Latvia up 1-0 in the 3rd. Two teams I'd both like to see do well. A lot at stake.

I'm not very optimistic about CANs chances against either RUS or SWE. Other then McDavid not much spark. Maybe playing RUS might rouse them from their lethargy.

Latvia up 1-0 in the 3rd.
    And it stays that way for the final result. It's great seeing Latvia having somewhat of a resurgence.

Sweden scores 3 unanswered to beat Russia 3-1 and consequently win their group. Looking at the goals, they've really turned on the skill.

Latvia up 1-0 in the 3rd. Two teams I'd both like to see do well. A lot at stake.

I'm not very optimistic about CANs chances against either RUS or SWE. Other then McDavid not much spark. Maybe playing RUS might rouse them from their lethargy.
    I think that Canada has finally come together as a team. There are no more additions and they have played well in their last 2 games. I think they will beat Russia. Of course that means that everyone on the Canadian roster has to play well.

Quote Originally Posted by RexKramer View Post
    And the first time Austria remains up since 14 years. And that despite an absolutely unimpressive performance by AUT...thx to a completely derailed Belarus squad. But then again, AUT got relegated more than one with all bad luck you can have so we'll take it.
    If I understand the groupings correctly, AUT will end up in the same group as GBR next year, so a reasonably good chance to stay up again next year...
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennison View Post
    If I understand the groupings correctly, AUT will end up in the same group as GBR next year, so a reasonably good chance to stay up again next year...
    That'll be a good test for both teams. For the former, can they get the necessary points to prolong their stay whereas the latter will have an opportunity to consolidate their promotion.

IHF Member
    I'm not very optimistic about CANs chances against either RUS or SWE.
    Me neither.
    I try to be a glass half full type of guy but this team does not give me much faith.
    McDavid is doing his best but Canada needs production from other lines.
    And they had better get much better goaltending than they did against Finland or its going to be another QF exit.

IHF Staff
    Don't know how the groups will end up like, afaIk its based on the world ranking but certain considerations on behalf of the IHWC host (assigning countries deliberately to boost ticket sales for instance) might change some teams' asignments...

Anyway, by all respect if it is Italy or GB doesn't make much difference as both teams are imho way weaker competition than any of the
    rivals this year. So I would consider not getting past the one or the other of those two a big fail.

Not according to wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_II...d_Championship
    Nederlandse IJshockey Bond
    www.nijb.nl

IHF Member
    So here are my predictions...
    Love to see Latvia pull off an upset but don't think they can SWE 5 LAT 1
    Bad luck to predict CAN - RUS...but I'm not optimistic
    USA over CZE 7-2
    FIN has been great and so-so...I think they might be vulnerable...

IHF Member
    Both the early QF matches are tied at two after 40 minutes.
    Canada took a 2-0 lead but Russia tied it up.
    Similar story with the US Czech Republic game with the Americans leading 2-0 after the first period and the Czechs storming back in the second.

IHF Member
    Canada 5 Russia 4 !!!

McJesus walks on water!

Canada 5 Russia 4 !!!

McJesus walks on water!
    Terrific!! Next up, a re-match with Finland? Or will the Swiss pull an upset...

Quote Originally Posted by Betterman View Post
    Ok, I thought the groups were set after last year's result, not the ranking.

Patrick Kane sniped the US to a 3-2 win against the Czechs. Gotta say that it's going to be interesting to see them play against either the Swedes or the Latvians.

The Finns will be favoured but it wouldn't be much of a surprise, given how the tournament has gone so far, if they struggled against the Swiss.
    You called it!

You called it!
    What an upset, eh? With Sweden holding on against Latvia, it'll be US-Sweden and Canada-Switzerland in the semis

IHF Member
    What an upset, eh?
    Hmmm, well yes I guess it is.
    But if you go back and look at Finland's results from the prelims, they've been a Jekyll and Hyde act the whole tournament.
    They lost to Denmark and Germany, two countries that missed the playoffs entirely.
    Then they hammer Canada and the Americans, two bona fide medal contenders, by a combined score of 11-3.
    Maybe if they had played Russia or Sweden the result might have been different because it seemed they had a tough time motivating themselves against teams they should beat.

Switzerland defeating Finland (or any of the other top ranked teams) is no longer an upset to me. In this tournament however, with Finland defeating both North American teams by a wide margin, the surprise is on Finland. They apparently could not consistently realize their potential.

IHF Member
    Any victory over Russia is worth celebrating especially in OT, in the elimination stage and when the team hasn't been overwhelming.
    So celebration is on...and on to the SWISS. Seems like no lead is safe with the CAN goal-tending situation, we better be scoring & plenty.

...the surprise is on Finland. They apparently could not consistently realize their potential...
    Couldn't agree with you more.

The game is practically over. And I'm not talking about the team Finland.

I'm talking about the team that holds the talent of this tournament. Big time. Any team other than Sweden winning WC2018 would be a surprise.
    Last edited by amoracing; 19-05-2018 at 11:14.

IHF Member
    Sweden 4 USA 0 (after two periods)

The Swedes have thoroughly frustrated Team USA, particularly on their power play which coming into this game was the Americans ace in the hole.
    Sweden led 1-0 after a period despite being outchanced and outshot.
    Then in the space of five minutes the game turned irrevocably (probably) in Sweden's favour.
    Three and a half minutes into the 2nd period, Adam Larsson took a double minor high sticking penalty giving the US a 4 minute PP.
    It seemed like a golden opportunity to tie the game and perhaps go ahead.
    Instead, the Americans not only failed to score they gave up a shorty with about 25 seconds to go in the extended PP.
    Then disaster struck.
    Johnny Gaudreau took a slashing near the midpoint of the period and the Swedes promptly scored 54 seconds later to make it 3-0.
    And 11 seconds after that Sweden scored again to make it 4-0.
    The Americans were given yet another power play moments after the goal but once again failed to capitalize.

IHF Member
    Sweden has been the class of the tournament (so far anyway.) Very consistent - unlike just about everybody else. I don't see the US digging out of that hole.

Sweden has been the class of the tournament (so far anyway.) Very consistent - unlike just about everybody else. I don't see the US digging out of that hole.
    They don't, as Sweden hangs on to a well deserved 6-0 win. From start to finish the US got outplayed.

IHF Member
    They don't, as Sweden hangs on to a well deserved 6-0 win. From start to finish the US got outplayed.
    I thought the first 20 minutes the Americans were the better team and Sweden scored against the run of play.
    For what it's worth, TSN analyst Bob Errey thought the Americans should have asked for a challenge on the play, thinking they had a good chance to get the goal overturned.
    The turning point was obviously the 4 minute penalty and the seven minutes that followed.
    Credit must go to Sweden's PK and specifically Swedish netminder Anders Nilsson, who was a brick wall.

IHF Member
    Well, congratulations to the Swiss. They wanted it more and good for them. Disapointing, although not surprising result for CAN. I expected better from this roster but they never seemed in a grove. Better keeper would have helped but that's a chronic problem for us at this tournament and for that matter, the U-20s. We don't seem to grow goalies anymore.

IHF Member
    Well, congratulations to the Swiss. They wanted it more and good for them. Disapointing, although not surprising result for CAN. I expected better from this roster but they never seemed in a grove. Better keeper would have helped but that's a chronic problem for us at this tournament and for that matter, the U-20s. We don't seem to grow goalies anymore.
    Outshoot the Swiss 18-1 in the third period...but they score on that one shot.
    It's a rematch of the 2013 final, in which the Swiss advanced to their first ever final against Sweden.
    Maybe this time the Swiss will prevail but after watching that first semi final, I'd be shocked if the Swedes don't make it two straight.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information