Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 2018 IIHF World Championships

Genoni was brilliant. 2nd Swiss medal in 50+years upcoming.
    There is no such thing as a "Bad Hockey Market"
    There are, however, several markets with "Bad Hockey"

International Hockey Forums on Social Media:
    https://twitter.com/ihf_forums
    https://www.facebook.com/ihf.forums

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wagon View Post
    Well, congratulations to the Swiss. They wanted it more and good for them. Disapointing, although not surprising result for CAN. I expected better from this roster but they never seemed in a grove. Better keeper would have helped but that's a chronic problem for us at this tournament and for that matter, the U-20s. We don't seem to grow goalies anymore.
    Yup, the big difference was goaltending. Kuemper has been average at best throughout this tournament. He let in two questionable goals against Russia and he was poor today. I would start McElhinney tomorrow if I was the coach. He can't do worse. Let us hope the boys still have some pride and go all out against the Americans.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alberto View Post
    Yup, the big difference was goaltending. Kuemper has been average at best throughout this tournament. He let in two questionable goals against Russia and he was poor today. I would start McElhinney tomorrow if I was the coach. He can't do worse. Let us hope the boys still have some pride and go all out against the Americans.
    Superior goaltending makes all the difference.
    Makes poor teams competitive, mediocre teams good, good teams great and great teams practically unbeatable.
    Just look at the Winnipeg-Vegas series.
    The Jets dominated in virtually every game so far but still find themselves down 3-1 thanks to Marc-Andre Fleury.
    If Canada had him between the pipes this tournament they would be going for gold tomorrow and probably winning it.

No big expectations to the bronze game. North American teams typically take it "winning or nothing", bronze not pretty much valued. You could see that especially in the first period. USA wanted it more, so well-deserved bronze medals for the Americans. Two last goals in the empty net.

Quote Originally Posted by amoracing View Post
    No big expectations to the bronze game. North American teams typically take it "winning or nothing", bronze not pretty much valued. You could see that especially in the first period. USA wanted it more, so well-deserved bronze medals for the Americans. Two last goals in the empty net.
    Yes, Canada had zero motivation in this game. They simply could not get "up" for the game. Disappointing but not at all surprising given how up and down they have been in this tournament.

The Swiss made an upset in QF and another upset in SF. Two in row, so were these upsets in the first place? Well, given the rosters of both Fin and Can, yes they were. But indeed, Swiss played steadily and gave 100 % what they've got in terms of defensive play by the whole team in both of these games. Not to mention outstanding goaltending.

However, the Swedes are just a tad stronger and consistent than Can or Fin, throughout the 60 mins, while the Swiss have two energy consuming games behind. Given that background, Swiss beating Sweden in the final would really be a shock. Indeed I hope they still got some revs left to fight back against the Swedes.

Looking forward to a good gold metal game.

Edit: First period on halfway; so far so good.

Yep, Switzerland is definitely holding their own, and have fast and dangerous counter attacks.
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

IHF Staff
    Absolutely amazing game(s) by the Swiss. Blueprint of how an underdog has to play against a technically superior team. Except for the lone rush of Ekman Larsson and the other similar situation shortly before the end of regulation time I didn't really see an occasion in which the Swiss have opened up their defense.

I too am very impressed by the Swiss discipline in the defence and their quick puck movement.

But two hit goal posts in OT is as close as Sweden has come. Now penalty shots...

Right, 2-2 after OT so shootouts coming up.

Genoni is so hot that I'd put my coins on the Swiss.

Big congrats to Switzerland for a great played game. They had a couple of good chances bit looked like they ran out of steam in the end.

Sweden GOLD again!

IHF Staff
    Close one!! Fortunately they got rid of the three shooter mode of SO. I guess the players were happy they didn't have to play any longer ;-)

In the end it would almost have been too much of an upset if the Swiss had won it. Great culmination of the tournament anyway. Now it's a year waiting

Quote Originally Posted by Bennison View Post
    Big congrats to Switzerland for a great played game. They had a couple of good chances bit looked like they ran out of steam in the end.

Sweden GOLD again!
    Well, that was an awesome final. Congrats to both sides!
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

Congrats, well-deserved gold metal to Sweden.

Just a great gold metal game. Underdog kept it tight right till the end.

I'd say there are three winners here; Sweden, Switzerland and the Sport of Hockey.

Sweden

Woo

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information