Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2018 IIHF World Championships

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennison View Post
    Korea has had a really rough start. Can they pick up any momentum?
    In four games at the Olympics, Korea managed three goals and had a differential of only -16.
    They had one blowout loss to the Swiss, 8-0, but their other three games were pretty respectable scores.
    A 4-0 loss to Canada, a 5-2 QF loss to Finland and most surprisingly a 2-1 nail biter to the Czechs.
    So far the Koreans have been outscored 18-1, already giving them a greater negative goal differential than the Olympics.
    That most certainly will only get much worse with five more round robin games to go.

The Koreans rode an emotional wave of support from their home crowd at the Olympics that helped them stay competitive.
    But they are thousands of miles away from home at the Worlds and while the Danes might be empathetic to them, it's certainly a different atmosphere.
    Mostly though, there is no doubt that the tournament field is far superior to that of the Olympics with countries like the US, Canada and Sweden using NHL pros.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heatleysucks View Post
    In four games at the Olympics, Korea managed three goals and had a differential of only -16.
    They had one blowout loss to the Swiss, 8-0, but their other three games were pretty respectable scores.
    A 4-0 loss to Canada, a 5-2 QF loss to Finland and most surprisingly a 2-1 nail biter to the Czechs.
    So far the Koreans have been outscored 18-1, already giving them a greater negative goal differential than the Olympics.
    That most certainly will only get much worse with five more round robin games to go.

The Koreans rode an emotional wave of support from their home crowd at the Olympics that helped them stay competitive.
    But they are thousands of miles away from home at the Worlds and while the Danes might be empathetic to them, it's certainly a different atmosphere.
    Mostly though, there is no doubt that the tournament field is far superior to that of the Olympics with countries like the US, Canada and Sweden using NHL pros.
    It’s usually also in the early stage of tournament (depending on the schedule of course) where the newly promoted teams have the best chance of making an upset and all of the lower seeded teams (Germany,Norway, Latvia and Denmark) already have 2 points or more.

Heading into the tournament there were some question marks regarding Norway, due to missing several key players but they have looked solid so far.

Like Norway, Latvia is still in the race for the 4th and last spot in the quarterfinals, while Germany will be looking to make sure that relegation doesn’t become an issue if making the top-4 is not possible.

That leaves the host nation.

There are some injury concerns at the moment, having already lost one winger and another questionable for the coming games so we are a bit short on forwards at the moment as team management is reluctant to use up more roster sports before the 2nd round of the NHL Playoffs has concluded.

Still, come Saturday those decisions will have been made.

Denmark has played Korea a few times over the last couple of seasons, so they know what to expect and it’s a most win game for many reasons.

The US shut out Germany 3-0, which is the former's second consecutive whitewashing, and Russia pounded Belarus 6-0 today
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

Slovakia beat Austria 4-2 today and Latvia blanked Korea 5-0

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Conesy View Post
    Slovakia beat Austria 4-2 today and Latvia blanked Korea 5-0
    With the recent elimination of the reigning two time Stanley Cup champs Pittsburgh Penguins and the San Jose Sharks, it will be interesting to see if any player from these two teams will accept an invitation to come to the Worlds.
    Canada has made room for a 3rd goalie and two skaters.
    Would Sid the Kid or maybe Bret Burns, a Norris calibre D man accept inviites from Team Canada?
    Gotta believe they will at least be asked.
    Either one or both could be game changers.

IHF Staff
    Well, AUT was timid and without enough courage for 40' which the Slovaks exploited for their 2 goal lead. In the third the game changed but it was only enough for one more goal for AUT before SVK decided it with an ENG.

Swiss and Czechs are tied in a goal frenzy at 4 after two periods, the Swiss always got the lead but the Czechs level it any time. Cool game, if I wasn't that tired.

On a side note, anyone reminded to 1980's technology when looking at the refs camera helmets? Miniaturization has left those out for sure :D

With the recent elimination of the reigning two time Stanley Cup champs Pittsburgh Penguins and the San Jose Sharks, it will be interesting to see if any player from these two teams will accept an invitation to come to the Worlds.
    Canada has made room for a 3rd goalie and two skaters.
    Would Sid the Kid or maybe Bret Burns, a Norris calibre D man accept inviites from Team Canada?
    Gotta believe they will at least be asked.
    Either one or both could be game changers.
    TSN is reporting that Marc-Edouard Vlasic is joining Team Canada from the Sharks, so you can forget about Burns. Still room for one forward and one goalie. Personally, I don't think they will add anyone else. I think Michael DiPietro, the junior goalie from the Windsor Spitfires that has been practicing with the team, will be added to the roster. I don't see anyone else available. Martin Jones was devastated after the Sharks were eliminated as was Matt Murray of the Penguins. I don't think that is the right mindset they want with a goaltender. Crosby, who knows? I don't see him coming simply because he must be burnt-out.

Finland pounded Norway 7-0 while the Czechs beat the Swiss 5-4 in a shootout

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alberto View Post
    TSN is reporting that Marc-Edouard Vlasic is joining Team Canada from the Sharks, so you can forget about Burns. Still room for one forward and one goalie. Personally, I don't think they will add anyone else. I think Michael DiPietro, the junior goalie from the Windsor Spitfires that has been practicing with the team, will be added to the roster. I don't see anyone else available. Martin Jones was devastated after the Sharks were eliminated as was Matt Murray of the Penguins. I don't think that is the right mindset they want with a goaltender. Crosby, who knows? I don't see him coming simply because he must be burnt-out.
    Vlasic is a good pickup for Canada.
    He was an Olympian in Sochi after all.
    If he is the only player they'll be able to land then so be it.
    I think this team is pretty solid and is just now rounding into shape.

IHF Member
    Vlasic is a good pickup for Canada.
    He was an Olympian in Sochi after all.
    If he is the only player they'll be able to land then so be it.
    I think this team is pretty solid and is just now rounding into shape.
    Yeah I like Vlasic. In general I don't like adding players after you've played a few and started developing a team atmosphere. Risky adding guys even if it ups the talent level.

First three point win for Slovakia after exactly two years.

Can't say that watching it was less of a suffering than watching the games in which we went pointless.
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

See you in 2019...perhaps...

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wagon View Post
    Yeah I like Vlasic. In general I don't like adding players after you've played a few and started developing a team atmosphere. Risky adding guys even if it ups the talent level.
    Agreed. You don't want to mess with team chemistry. Bringing in one or two players is ok but that is it.

Korea is pounded once again, this time 6-1 by Germany. And this with several Canadian and American born players. I shudder to think what the scores would have been if they had just used Koreans ! Seriously, maybe 16 teams is too much at this tournament. There are far too many blowouts. I know that the IIHF would never do it but I would love to go back to a 12 team tournament with one team relegated.

Korea is pounded once again, this time 6-1 by Germany. And this with several Canadian and American born players. I shudder to think what the scores would have been if they had just used Koreans ! Seriously, maybe 16 teams is too much at this tournament. There are far too many blowouts. I know that the IIHF would never do it but I would love to go back to a 12 team tournament with one team relegated.
    Both of their goals scored were by their naturalized players, which further reinforces your point. When you watch the highlights, it looks rather farcical at how outclassed they are there.

Aside from Germany pounding Korea 6-1, the Swiss beat Belarus 6-2

I agree, a 12 team tournament would make more sense. I read that opinion in one of the newspapers as well. They argued that it may even help the middle-tier teams develop if there is a real chance of relegation for Denmark, Norway, Germany etc.
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

IHF Member
    I agree, a 12 team tournament would make more sense. I read that opinion in one of the newspapers as well. They argued that it may even help the middle-tier teams develop if there is a real chance of relegation for Denmark, Norway, Germany etc.
    A 16 team tournament with seven preliminary games results in a lot of meaningless hockey.
    Pare it down to 12 you will have a much more streamlined workable tournament.
    As it is there are simply too many teams that really shouldn't be here.
    Promotion to the top group has gotten too easy.

I agree here. Looking at the donnybrook that was the D1A championships, every game was incredibly meaningful whereas there's far too many games at the top level for them to really foster that development.

Sweden also blanked Austria 7-0. There's been quite a few blowouts already, which I guess ties into the issue of the size of the overall tournament size

Denmark pulls off the upset of the tournament, beating Finland 3-2!

IHF Member
    Always good for the home fans to have something to cheer about. Good for Denmark.

RE: less teams, the other advantage of fewer teams is a shorter tournament which I believe makes it easier to attract players.

Germany

Results for germany:

Germany - Norway 4:5 n.P. (2:2, 1:1, 1:1; 0:1)
    0:1 K. Olimb (01:41, SH)
    0:2 Valkvae Olsen (07:31, PP)
    1:2 Hager (14:30, PP)
    2:2 Michaelis (18:41)
    2:3 Bastiansen (21:36)
    3:3 Hager (27:31)
    3:4 Sorvik (50:13)
    4:4 Y. Seidenberg (50:38)
    4:5 Bastiansen (GWS) (65:00)

USA - Germany 3:0 (0:0, 2:0, 1:0)
    1:0 (30:02) Kane (Gaudreau, Atkinson - PP1)
    2:0 (32:07) Ryan (Kane, Hughes - PP1)
    3:0 (50:38) DeBrincat (Kane)

Germany - South Korea 6:1 (1:0, 3:0, 2:1)
    1:0 (10:02) Draisaitl (Plachta, Y. Seidenberg - PP1)
    2:0 (20:41) Ehliz (Plachta, Y. Seidenberg - PP1)
    3:0 (29:27) Hager (Holzer, Draisaitl)
    4:0 (34:42) Tiffels (Michaelis)
    5:0 (48:37) Ehliz (Kahun, Draisaitl)
    6:0 (52:33) Y. Seidenberg (Plachta - PP1)
    6:1 (57:01) Radunske (PP1)

Well, succesfully avoided relegation this year, but after the bad start, there is nothing more to expect this year.

At least the olympic tournament this year was a huge success.

IHF Member
    I'd say that participation in elite level helps the development of hockey in the bottom half group of nations. Sure, they could lose with big difference, but I happen to remember how SSSR once overran Sweden with 15:1 when there were only 8 teams at the top level. For every blowout there's a close match when "small country" manages to score a point that becomes a part of the "campfire" story.

The "problem" with Korea is that country was encouraged to sign foreign players for its participation in the Olympics. IIHF should have made clear to Koreans that their team was going to play in the Olympics no matter what and encourage them to invest in the development rather than naturalisation. Yugoslav team was in Group C in 1984 and it didn't embarass itself in Sarajevo regardless of the fact that it had no foreigners.

Sweden also blanked Austria 7-0. There's been quite a few blowouts already, which I guess ties into the issue of the size of the overall tournament size
    A couple of years ago, I read an article on iihf.com saying that blowouts were on the decline and that there was more parity at the worlds (top level). They defined a blowout as winning by 4 or more goals. For our purposes, let us say a blowout is 5 or more goals difference. If we look at all the games up to and including Wednesday (May 9), we have 12 blowouts in 28 games. that is 42% of games. If our criteria is 4 goals or more difference, we get 15 blowouts in 28 games or 54 %. This is simply ridiculous. Way too many teams that don't belong at this level. 12 teams is the way to go. Maybe they can expand Division 1A to 8 teams.

US beat Latvia 3-2 in OT while Slovakia beats France 3-1

A couple of years ago, I read an article on iihf.com saying that blowouts were on the decline and that there was more parity at the worlds (top level). They defined a blowout as winning by 4 or more goals. For our purposes, let us say a blowout is 5 or more goals difference. If we look at all the games up to and including Wednesday (May 9), we have 12 blowouts in 28 games. that is 42% of games. If our criteria is 4 goals or more difference, we get 15 blowouts in 28 games or 54 %. This is simply ridiculous. Way too many teams that don't belong at this level. 12 teams is the way to go. Maybe they can expand Division 1A to 8 teams.
    Yikes, that's crazy. Unfortunately, some teams (i.e. Austria, Italy, Kazakhstan, and Slovenia) are the textbook definition of elevator teams, so it's an issue of being too good for D1A but atrocious at the Elite level.

IHF Staff
    I think that more parity between the very top teams (CAN, SWE, FIN, RUS, USA, CZE) and the rest esp. the bottom elite teams is whishful thinking and always was. Slovakia deteriorated, Denmark rose and the Swiss stabilized on a pursuer level but no team can consistently challenge the top 5. This absolutely speaks for reducing the elite group or at least dramatically change the format if the number is to stay at 16. I still think the two top groups two bottom groups FIRS has in skater hockey would be a reasonable way to go.

Canada blanks Norway by the score of 5-0, with Connor McDavid picking up a hattrick

The Czechs beat the Russians 5-4 in OT as well

IHF Member
    The Czechs beat the Russians 5-4 in OT as well
    The addition of David Pastrnak to the Czech lineup paid instant dividends as he figured in 3 of the 4 goals.
    Pretty impressive performance for someone who flew in on a red eye with no time to adjust for the time difference.

IHF Member
    Top teams are still going to get their epic duels in the elimination games. Furthermore, as the players arrive from the NHL, they can still use some matches in the preliminary phase to align themselves.

On the other hand, teams like Hungary or next year Great Britain are absolutelly thrilled with the opportunity to play against the "big ones". This represents a major point in looking for sponsors for the national team and national federation projects. Korea is an aberation that isn't likely to repeat itself in the near future.

IHF Member
    Latvia gives the US a scare. Best fans in the world.

IHF Member
    USA vs. Korea today - will the Americans go easy on them or will they try to top Canada's performance?

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BhamJohn View Post
    USA vs. Korea today - will the Americans go easy on them or will they try to top Canada's performance?
    This will be Korea's fifth game of the preliminary round.
    During the Olympics, Korea only played four games in total.
    They might be feeling pretty weary by now.
    I think the Americans will be motivated to put in a better performance than the one they had against Latvia.
    It could be another long day for the Koreans and I would be surprised if the Americans don't score at least six goals.

Quote Originally Posted by BhamJohn View Post
    As I type this, it's 4-1 USA in the first. Charlie McAvoy, he who was just added, has two already.

Scores from earlier today:
    Denmark blanked Norway 3-0 while France beat Austria 5-2

IHF Member
    As I type this, it's 4-1 USA in the first. Charlie McAvoy, he who was just added, has two already.
    I'm amazed the Koreans actually had a lead in this game.

I'm amazed the Koreans actually had a lead in this game.
    That goal came from a scramble in front of Scott Darling. In a way you could say that was a fluke.

So, the US pounded the crap out of Korea by a staggering score of 13-1 which surpasses Canada's 10-0 win over the Asians. If you want to know how insanely outclassed Korea is, their current goal differential is -39 (3 for, 42 against).

In other score news, the Czechs shut out Belarus 3-0; all scoring came in the first period.

Kazakhstan

According to Aftonbladet three players will join Sweden from Nashville. Viktor Arvidsson, Mattias Ekholm and Filip Forsberg. Following the retirement of Mats Sundin, Filip is my favourite player, looking forward to seeing him.
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

IHF Member
    So, the US pounded the crap out of Korea by a staggering score of 13-1 which surpasses Canada's 10-0 win over the Asians. If you want to know how insanely outclassed Korea is, their current goal differential is -39 (3 for, 42 against).

In other score news, the Czechs shut out Belarus 3-0; all scoring came in the first period.
    On the TSN broadcast, it was mentioned that the record for scoring goals in a game for the US at the Worlds was 17 which was set in the 1950s.
    They came painfully close to that record today.

On the TSN broadcast, it was mentioned that the record for scoring goals in a game for the US at the Worlds was 17 which was set in the 1950s.
    They came painfully close to that record today.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYCJQDk2myE
    If they had really wanted to, for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYCJQDk2myE
    If they had really wanted to, for sure.
    I had a look in the IIHF guide to see what the worst blowouts were at the top level in the open era (since 1977 when pros were allowed to play) :

1977 USSR 18 Romania 1
    1989 Czechoslovakia 15 Poland 0
    1977 Finland 14 Romania 1
    1977 Czechoslovakia 13 Romania 1
    1981 USSR 13 Sweden 1
    1987 USSR 13 Switzerland 5

So today's USA victory over Korea is tied for 4th place. Poor Romanians, there were simply destroyed in 1977. They finished the tournament with 1 win (5-4 over the USA in the relegation round) and 9 losses. 20 goals for and 84 goals against.

IHF Prospect
    1977 USSR 11 Canada 1, USSR 10 USA 0
    1979 USSR 11 CSSR 1
    1982 CSSR 10 Italy 0
    1983 USSR 11 Italy 1, CSSR 11 Italy 0
    1985 USSR 11 USA 1, Sweden 11 DDR 0
    1987 Sweden 12 Switzerland 1
    1989 USSR 12 Poland 1, Canada 11 Poland 0, CSSR 15 Poland 0
    1991 USSR 12 USA 2
    1992 Germany 11 Poland 1
    1993 Canada 11 Austria 0
    1994 Austria 10 Great Britain 0
    1999 Czech 12 Japan 2
    2001 Czech 11 Italy 0, Sweden 11 Austria 0
    2003 Finland 12 Slovenia 0
    2006 Canada 11 Latvia 0
    2010 Canada 12 Norway 1, USA 10 Kazakhstan 0
    2015 Canada 10 Germany 0
    2018 Canada 10 Korea 0

Latvia beats Germany 3-1 while Sweden holds off Slovakia 4-3 in OT

IHF Member
    I had a look in the IIHF guide to see what the worst blowouts were at the top level in the open era (since 1977 when pros were allowed to play) :

1977 USSR 18 Romania 1
    1989 Czechoslovakia 15 Poland 0
    1977 Finland 14 Romania 1
    1977 Czechoslovakia 13 Romania 1
    1981 USSR 13 Sweden 1
    1987 USSR 13 Switzerland 5

So today's USA victory over Korea is tied for 4th place. Poor Romanians, there were simply destroyed in 1977. They finished the tournament with 1 win (5-4 over the USA in the relegation round) and 9 losses. 20 goals for and 84 goals against.
    Believe it or not the Swedes actually won silver in 1981, despite that shellacking.
    I remember the infamous Team Canada 1977, dubbed by the press on both sides of the Atlantic as "Team Ugly".
    It was the first time Canada had sent a team to the WC since 1969 and this team was comprised entirely of NHL players, led by 72 Summit hero Phil Esposito.
    Several players on the Canadian team had played their entire careers without helmets and when they were forced to wear them they griped loudly.
    Having pros didn't help much.
    Canada was humbled twice by the Soviets, 11-1 and 8-1.
    It was the two worst defeats Canada had ever suffered in international play to that point.
    The tournament was a double round robin back then and the final day resulted in perhaps the most bizarre finish ever.
    Canada hammered Czechoslovakia 8-2 in their last game and the disconsolate CSSR players thought the gold medal was lost.
    That is until the Swedes later upset the USSR for the second time in the tournament giving the Czechoslovaks the gold.

After a dull first period, the first few minutes of the Korea-Denmark game has been pretty exciting. Korea was frustrating the Danes and tied the game 1-1. Denmark has since scored but they look like their minds are elsewhere. I don't think the Danes will lose but that first few minutes makes this game that much more interesting.

BTW, I meant to say the first few minutes of the second period of the Korea-Denmark game has been pretty exciting.

IHF Staff
    The tournament was the worst showing of AUT so far on IHWC level since 2005 but still it seems as the team would hang on there this time. Thanks to a Belarus squad who can't finish on offense and are also kind of unfortunate in their end. 4:0 to Austria ater the second period.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RexKramer View Post
    The tournament was the worst showing of AUT so far on IHWC level since 2005 but still it seems as the team would hang on there this time. Thanks to a Belarus squad who can't finish on offense and are also kind of unfortunate in their end. 4:0 to Austria ater the second period.
    Congrats Rex and Austria, you have stepped out of the elevator :)

Denmark gets the three points they needed against Korea, not much else to say about that game.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information