Hungary
    Italy (Relagated from Top Division)
    Kazakhstan
    Poland
    Slovenia (Relagated from Top Division)

Tournament schedule & Scores:
    http://wmia2018.iihf.hockey/en/games/

Tournament Format:
    The teams play a single round-robin series. Each teams plays each opponent once. The first two winning teams of the event will be promoted to the Top Division. The last-ranked team will be relegated to Division I Group B.
    http://wmia2018.iihf.hockey/en/information/

IHF Member
    Hungary:

goalies (3)
    Duschek Dávid - Dunaújvárosi Acélbikák (reserve)
    Rajna Miklós - Fehérvár AV19
    Vay Ádám - Rapid City Rush (ECHL)

defensemen (7)
    Garát Zsombor - MAC Budapest
    Gőz Balázs - Norfolk Admirals (ECHL)
    Pozsgai Tamás - MAC Budapest
    Stipsicz Bence - Fehérvár AV19
    Szirányi Bence - Fehérvár AV19
    Varga Arnold - UTE
    Kevin Wehrs - Innsbruck (EBEL)

forwards (13)
    Benk András - UTE
    Chris Bodo - MAC Budapest
    Erdély Csanád - Fehérvár AV19
    Galló Vilmos - Timra (SWE-2.)
    Hári János - Fehérvár AV19
    Kóger Dániel - Fehérvár AV19
    Magosi Bálint - DVTK Jegesmedvék
    Nagy Gergő - Quad City Mallards (ECHL)
    Nagy Krisztián - MAC Budapest
    Andrew Sarauer - Villacher SV (EBEL)
    Sebők Balázs - KalPa (FIN)
    Sofron István - Villacher SV (EBEL)
    Vas János - DVTK Jegesmedvék
    Last edited by kerusz; 21-04-2018 at 23:49.

IHF Member
    Great Britain:

goalies.
    Ben Bowns – Cardiff Devils
    Jackson Whistle – Belfast Giants
    Thomas Murdy – Cardiff Devils (reserve)

defensemen:
    Dallas Ehrhardt – Manchester Storm
    Steve Lee – Nottingham Panthers
    Ben O’Connor – Sheffield Steelers
    David Phillips – Sheffield Steelers
    Mark Richardson – Cardiff Devils
    Zach Sullivan – Braehead Clan
    Paul Swindlehurst – Manchester Storm

forwards:
    Ollie Betteridge – Nottingham Panthers
    Brendan Brooks – Braehead Clan
    Ben Davies – Guildford Flames
    Robert Dowd – Sheffield Steelers
    Robert Farmer – Nottingham Panthers
    Luke Ferrara – Coventry Blaze
    Mike Hammond – Manchester Storm
    Liam Kirk – Sheffield Steelers
    Robert Lachowicz – Nottingham Panthers
    Matthew Myers – Cardiff Devils
    Jonathan Phillips – Sheffield Steelers
    Brett Perlini – Nottingham Panthers
    Colin Shields – Belfast Giants

Surprisingly clear loss for hosts Hungary. Expected win for Italy.
    But sensational win for UK against Slovenia. I really didn’t see that coming...

IHF Staff
    GB derailing Slovenia is a big upset, no doubt. Kazakhstan is for me the #1 contender for promotion, everything else very wide open...Slovenia, Hungary, Italy all in contention. GB despite the win vs. SLO isn't and Poland also not I think.

Btw, IIHF offers a free live stream for all games of this tournament!

IHF Member
    GBR goal is to avoid relegation, will need another win to achieve this. Game against POL might decide.

Geoff

IHF Staff
    And Slovenia also loses to Poland
    SOG favor Slovenia 38:27 but the score is 4:2 for Poland. Gasper Kroselj's SVS% looks dismal again but actually there wasn't all too much he could have done on the Poles' goals. So it doesn't look good for Slovenia (the miss Jan Mursak a lot, not to speak of Kopitar) but 2nd place is still viable if the Kazakhs march through and SLO wins the remainng 3 games.

In the evening game the hosts Hungary beat Italy 3:2 after coming back to tie the game twice.

IHF Staff
    Yesterday Kazakhstan routed GB with a score of 6:1 to keep their clean record. Right now Kazakhstan takes on Italy and midway through the first period the Italians are up 2:0. KAZ suffers a little bit from the fact that they played just yesterday afternoon/evening it seems to me (while ITA had a rest day), they're not skating as I saw them in the other games.

If Italy holds on to this lead the promotion spots are both wide open again. And tonight the game between SLO and HUN is set to be crucial too, Slovenia in particular needs to win this one otherwise their hopes of returning to the elite are gone.

IHF Staff
    The Italians did it and beat a lackluster Kazakh squad 3:0. Makes this tourney very interesting.

IHF Member
    Nice 5-3 win for GBR over POL. Best UK team performance for many years at the WC.

Geoff

IHF Member
    You know - and Rex will react something patronizing here as he always does- Nut is it too much to ask for to be treated equally on home ice by the referees? I'm not asking for preferencial treatment but something that would be given on neutral ice... Really... I've been writing here for I doin't know how long, and you never heard of me mention any referees... but now I'm sorry I do.. For a long while the replays were shown on the displays... but after so many wrong calls they were covered... (I know they should have been covered all along) But still... It is very frustrating to get texts from international friends how shitty the refereeing was... and it is not only this game... it was the same against the Kazakhs ane even the Italians... Are they feel that they must over compensate something? In a tournament this close it does count... by all means Hungary should have been playing powerplay in much of the third period...

IHF Staff
    As this information is missing in the previous post, Slovenia beats Hungary 4:1 to get the first 3 pts of the tournament. The win keeps SLO hopes for promotion alive.
    We could get a situation with no less than 4 teams ending up with 9pts - crazy but still possible and not completely far fetched.

@Veghist, to satisfy your expectations: calm down and get a good night's sleep. Your team is still in it.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RexKramer View Post
    As this information is missing in the previous post, Slovenia beats Hungary 4:1 to get the first 3 pts of the tournament. The win keeps SLO hopes for promotion alive.
    We could get a situation with no less than 4 teams ending up with 9pts - crazy but still possible and not completely far fetched.

@Veghist, to satisfy your expectations: calm down and get a good night's sleep. Your team is still in it.
    This is not the point... Appointing Smetana- promably the most hated and biassed EBEL ref to a HUngary-Slovenia game is a huge mistake ahd a major blunder in sports diplomacy.
    And I wasn't mistaken about the patronization for the record.

IHF Staff
    Basically all EBEL Refs are disliked and suspected of being biased by all kinds of ppl all the time - especially in internet forums. But as this is an IIHF event and I guess the IIHF is (rightfully) ignorant about these things it is got to be taken as it is. What should the IIHF do, make a poll among fans which refs they like and which not? They got to appoint referees at last...

And for the record: maybe I would not have been patronizing if you didn't come up with this accusation out of nowhere...

It's also quite possible to get four teams at 6 points each, in the relegation battle. Doesn't need any outrageous results to achieve that either.
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

IHF Member
    extremely exciting tournament with 5 matches left almost every teams have the chance to promote (except POL) and relegated

crazy

IHF Staff
    Hungary beat Poland yesterday in a tight contest with 3:2 (an ENG failed to be counted as the puck went in splitseconds after the buzzer).
    So right now we actually have 4 teams with 6pts each (KAZ, ITA, GBR, HUN) with POL and SLO following with 3pts but that must change today.

Today's games are SLO vs. KAZ and ITA vs. GBR.

Still a very open situation with plenty of possible outcomes. Poland can't finish on a promotion spot anymore and I think that none of the teams that have beaten Poland (ITA, GBR, HUN) can't finish last anymore. And Slovenia needs a regulation time win vs. KAZ to stay in the race for promotion.

IHF Member
    And Slovenia needs a regulation time win vs. KAZ to stay in the race for promotion.
    Or to stay away from relegation... with 2 losses against the two higest seeds they are playing Croatia and Romania next year....

IHF Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by veghist View Post
    Or to stay away from relegation... with 2 losses against the two higest seeds they are playing Croatia and Romania next year....
    This doomsday scenario is absolutely upon them. but I still think they are pretty much on par with Kazakhstan and have a better team than Italy.

IHF Member
    Craziest. Tournament. Ever.
    Before the last games 5 teams have the chance to qualify (apart from the Poles) and 5 teams may be relegated (apart from GB)
    My head hurts :-D

I think the Italians are safe...

...I don't see a way for them to get relegated.

IHF Staff
    Absolutey crazy, true. And very interesting is the fact that despite this tourney being so extremely tight no game has gone to OT so far.

Italy is safe I guess, they beat Poland and have more pts than the Poles from games among all teams that can end up in a tie at 6 pts.

IHF Member
    Wow, what a last round of matches that should be. Assuming (!!) KAZ defeats POL , then a regulation win for HUN over GBR would see them promoted with KAZ. Any points for GBR and they are up. ITA and SLO have to win in regulation and hope other results go their way.

Geoff

Edit

Not that simple !!! If SLO wins they should go up as they beat KAZ and HUN and their loss to POL gets discounted from any mini league.
    Last edited by GeoffH; 28-04-2018 at 01:28.

IHF Member
    Absolutey crazy, true. And very interesting is the fact that despite this tourney being so extremely tight no game has gone to OT so far.

Italy is safe I guess, they beat Poland and have more pts than the Poles from games among all teams that can end up in a tie at 6 pts.
    SLO also safe from relegation.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffH View Post
    Wow, what a last round of matches that should be. Assuming (!!) KAZ defeats POL , then a regulation win for HUN over GBR would see them promoted with KAZ. Any points for GBR and they are up. ITA and SLO have to win in regulation and hope other results go their way.

Geoff

Edit

Not that simple !!! If SLO wins they should go up as they beat KAZ and HUN and their loss to POL gets discounted from any mini league.
    really not that easy. Much more complicated, five teams have chance to promote and three can be relgated

IHF Member
    Clear after 2 games.

If Hungary gets three points they and Kazakhstan promote from a 4-way tie, otherwise it is UK and Italy.

According to IIHF.com Slovenia and Italy both gambled on the win by withdrawing their keepers with Italy getting the ENG for the win. The game sheet only shows the Slovenia keeper was withdrawn.

Geoff
    Last edited by GeoffH; 28-04-2018 at 20:13.

IHF Staff
    Clear after 2 games.

If Hungary gets three points they and Kazakhstan promote from a 4-way tie, otherwise it is UK and Italy.

Credit to Slovenia who gambled on the win against Italy by withdrawing their keeper and lost. Conservative Italy may benefit.

Geoff
    Italy and Slovenia should have agreed on both pulling their goalies as without the move the game would most likely have ended in a tie leaving both teams outside the promotion ranks.

Hungary leads 1:0 after the first, the hosts seem fresher and dominate the game. Guess the GB miracle ends here.

IHF Staff
    GB miracle goes on... wtf of a tournament. Can't believe it.

IHF Member
    GB ties the game with 16 seconds left and they are back in the Top Division

IHF Member
    Amazing, those last two games....so many changes.

Geoff

IHF Staff
    Absolutely most exciting division tournament ever. Couldn't be scripted better even if one tried.

On a side note, the fact that the teams were so level indicates that IA level is not getting anywhere near even the lower middle ranks of the elite pool. In the past even the teams (typically Slovenia) that marched through div IA with 5 straight wins were relegated the next year... But the Brits will certainly enjoy the ride. Probably the federation pushes the program to even play a test game or two :D (did GB have one this year?)

IHF Member
    Absolutely most exciting division tournament ever. Couldn't be scripted better even if one tried.

On a side note, the fact that the teams were so level indicates that IA level is not getting anywhere near even the lower middle ranks of the elite pool. In the past even the teams (typically Slovenia) that marched through div IA with 5 straight wins were relegated the next year... But the Brits will certainly enjoy the ride. Probably the federation pushes the program to even play a test game or two :D (did GB have one this year?)
    They did, two games against Lithuania which they lost a combined 10-4.

Alongside Great Britain (Congrats), Italy also goes up.

Not the two countries I guess most people would have picked a week ago, but has been a interesting tournament to follow to say the least!

IHF Member

yes, against Lithuania. First GBR lost 3 to 2, on the second match LTU won 7 to 2 (both matches were played in the UK)

IHF Member

Yes, there is a big gap in standard, the last promoted teams to establish themselves at the top level were Denmark and Belarus over 10 years ago.

Geoff

IHF Member
    Yes, there is a big gap in standard, the last promoted teams to establish themselves at the top level were Denmark and Belarus over 10 years ago.

Geoff
    I think, the last one was France in 2008

Well, what can be said? I have never been to Astana before :-D

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by veghist View Post
    I think, the last one was France in 2008

Well, what can be said? I have never been to Astana before :-D
    Yes, sorry, missed them and Norway in 2007. Still a long time ago.

Geoff

So excited I woke the baby up..My team GB won so late in the last game, wished I was there.
    As I wasn't and realise that the Hyngarian Bank brought out a special World 1A coin at that time (I'm a collector)....what's the chance of me getting one these days?

Thread Information