Thread: 2018 U18 Div IIA

IHF Member

2018 U18 Div IIA

Frustration for a strong UK squad who miss out on promotion by IIHF tie breaking rules.

Lost to Poland when they had many chances to win and then couldnít get the the 2 goal margin they needed against Lithuania.

The commentators didnít know the implications of the result seeming to think the margin of Polandís victory over Australia would be decisive !! From the way the game ended I suspect the UK and Lithuania management didnít realise that a 3-2 win for the UK gave almost certain victory to Poland.

Geoff

IHF Prospect
    Even if Estonia beat Poland ?

If two teams are tied on equality of points in the standings after completion of the round-robin, the following tie breaking criteria applies:

1. Head-to-head (mutual) games between the teams concerned.
    2. Overall goal differential.
    3. Higher number of goals scored for.
    4. Game Winning Shot competition between the teams concerned.

IHF Member
    I am assuming the top three all win their last game. This should be routine for Poland and Lithuania. GB should beat Korea also. If GB drops a point or more then Lithuania will be top.

A three way tie would result in a zero goal difference for all three teams in the mini-table. Poland would win with 8-8 goal tally. GB would have 7-7 and Lithuania third with 6-6.

Geoff

IHF Member
    Well I am pleased to be proved wrong. Estonia held Poland and the British get promoted. Take nothing for granted in sport.

Geoff

Thread Information