Sweden
    Russia
    Czech Republic
    Switzerland
    Norway
    Latvia
    Austria
    Italy(Promoted from Div.IA)
    Last edited by RexKramer; 23-05-2018 at 10:17.

IHF Member
    Slovakia and Norway have swapped groups.

IHF Member
    How can this fix be allowed !!

The two 7th placed teams are in a group with Italy , who were the lower placed promoted team.

Guess it is down to the badly flawed World Ranking system which gives insufficient weight to the latest championship and too much weight to Olympic qualifiers.

I am British and fuming !!

Geoff

IHF Staff
    Yeah, makes it even more difficult for the British. Slovakia and Norway have been swapped due to marketing reasons, the world ranking does the rest.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RexKramer View Post
    Yeah, makes it even more difficult for the British. Slovakia and Norway have been swapped due to marketing reasons, the world ranking does the rest.
    I don't think it really matters because to be perfectly frank both teams face extremely long odds of staying up in the top group.
    Instead of fuming, I think Geoff should just be thrilled Britain is back playing top level hockey again after a quarter century.
    Making the elite level for only the second time in 83 years is a cause for celebration.

IHF Member
    I think Italy have a much easier task against Austria than the UK has against France. But the chances are that they would have been relegated anyway, just would have liked to see them against Austria and it will be ironic if Italy stays up through having a easier draw.

Geoff
    Last edited by GeoffH; 23-05-2018 at 20:30.

IHF Staff
    Actuallly I read somewhere that Italy hasa so far never lost to Austria in games on elite level. Seems like it looks pretty good for the Italians. To put things into perspective I think the last time ITA-AUT played on elite level was in 2000 if I'm not mistaken. The time of the "Italos" dominating the bue team has ended since which made Italy a very different thing. For AUT the chances to stay up another year are pretty good I'd say. Still France is probably a harder nut to crack for GB than ITA for AUT although I see the French facing difficulties as well. Their long time success coach Dave Henderson is gone, his succsessor must prove if he can adequately replace him. Texier is gone to NA and thus likely unavailable and key players like Fleury and Treille are not the youngest anymore. The French team has performed very well in the ast decade but structurally France as a hockey country is still a fringe elite level thing.

Slovakia was switched to Kosice purely for marketing reasons so that we have good attendance both in Bratislava (with the Cezchs, Austrians, Russians and Swedes playing there) and in Kosice with Slovakia there.

In 2011 people in Kosice were pissed off that all Slovakia games were played in Bratislava and on top of that they didn't even get any play-off games. So it's only fair that Slovakia plays in Kosice this time around. I have heard that this is something that was decided even before the groups were known.

But now the Canadians are complaining that they don't want to play in Kosice, lol. I hope they stay in Kosice because moving Swedes out of Bratislava makes absolutely no sense given that more Swedish fans are likely to come than Canadians for the IHWC.
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

See you in 2019...perhaps...

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaaa View Post
    But now the Canadians are complaining that they don't want to play in Kosice, lol. I hope they stay in Kosice because moving Swedes out of Bratislava makes absolutely no sense given that more Swedish fans are likely to come than Canadians for the IHWC.
    When you say the Canadians are complaining who exactly are we talking about here?
    Is it Hockey Canada?

IHF Member
    Still France is probably a harder nut to crack for GB than ITA for AUT although I see the French facing difficulties as well. Their long time success coach Dave Henderson is gone, his succsessor must prove if he can adequately replace him. Texier is gone to NA and thus likely unavailable and key players like Fleury and Treille are not the youngest anymore. The French team has performed very well in the ast decade but structurally France as a hockey country is still a fringe elite level thing.
    Actually Texier is not gone to NA. He signed a 3-year rookie contract but Columbus idea is to let him play a second year in Liiga, which is certainly the best for his development.
    To be honest the forwards are not the most worrying topic for the future of French national team. The challenge for new coach - Philippe Bozon - will be high anyway because the main goal is to qualify for next Olympic Games. Unless at least a quarter final next year, it won't be a home qualification tournament.
    I tend to think Bozon will set higher goals than avoiding relegation. And having GB in the same group can help that.

The Slovakia/Norway swap is unbalanced, but it could have been worse : Slovak organizers wanted to swap both Czech Republic and Austria with the same-placed teams (Finland and France). The Austria/France swap would have been really unfair, especially to Italy, which is the best-ranked promoted team and deserves to try his luck vs AUT (Bolzano effect will boost their confidence).

I don't think GB can really complain because they have a sort of veteran team who probably already hit their peak anyway (like Korea).
    But, yes, Norway is too high in IIHF rankings because of the olympics... Especially since the Olympics are a one-game tournament (they made QF thanks to a OT game vs Slovenia who deserved to win) whereas WC is a better assessment of one country's value.
    That's the way it crumbles, cookie-wise

Nothing changes in Ice Hockey. Here in the UK league it's enough to worry about with late changes to tournaments that stink. Now as a nation we get this bad blow from those in charge (governing body/host nation) as we're trying our best to survive this next campaign.

IHF Member
    French are likely to have an upper hand against the British, but I would not write off the British team so easy. They included three new Canadians in the team for Budapest, one for Belfast in 2017 and one for Zagreb in 2016. I don't know why Mosey wasn't in Budapest given his excellent performance in Belfast last year. I think it is likely that British team for Slovakia is going to have additional Canadians who made team stronger without reducing the team spirit given that all of them are coming from the same EIHL surrounding.

IHF Member
    I'm an old man and I don't remember the Brits every being at the ball. Just guessing but I expect the fans are a wild bunch.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wagon View Post
    I'm an old man and I don't remember the Brits every being at the ball. Just guessing but I expect the fans are a wild bunch.
    !994.
    That's the last time Great Britain was in the top group.
    Canada won it that year, their first world championship in 33 years.
    It was a 12 team tournament back then that actually ended by May 8.
    The British were 0-5 and were outscored 7-44.
    BTW, among their five losses was a 10-0 shellacking by....wait for it...Austria!
    I don't understand all this grousing about what group GB is in.
    I would be over the moon just playing with the big boys.
    Don't worry.
    Be happy.

IHF Member
    Been quite a few meetings between GBR and AUT since then including a couple of draws in 1997 !! My point is that GBR should be meeting the weakest team from this year’s championship and that ITA has a much easier draw after finishing lower in this year’s WC.

Geoff

Great Britain

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffH View Post
    Been quite a few meetings between GBR and AUT since then including a couple of draws in 1997 !! My point is that GBR should be meeting the weakest team from this year’s championship and that ITA has a much easier draw after finishing lower in this year’s WC.

Geoff
    Exactly....why should we not have a 'moan' if other teams can swap to suit.

We may have a few new recruits to bolster up the team but hopefully (if we go straight down again) we do it with as many of the brits that got us there....I remember seeing us play France in the Olympic qualifiers many years ago. Hopefully we have enough in the tank to be withing sight of a win againt them.

I keep a separate world ranking that does not include the Olympics, and this would be the groups in that case:

Group A:
    SWE (1)
    RUS (4)
    FIN (5)
    GER (8)
    LAT (9)
    FRA (12)
    NOR (13)
    GBR (22)

Group B:
    CAN (2)
    USA (3)
    SUI (6)
    CZE (7)
    DEN (10)
    SVK (11)
    AUT (15)
    ITA (16)
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

IHF Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffH View Post

Geoff
    The last two games between AUT and GB were in 2012 in Slovenia (7:3 win for AUT) and 2008 in Innsbruck respectively(saw that one live in the arena, 10:5 win to AUT). I whish GB was in our group :D

The last two games between AUT and GB were in 2012 in Slovenia (7:3 win for AUT) and 2008 in Innsbruck respectively(saw that one live in the arena, 10:5 win to AUT). I whish GB was in our group :D
    I think Italy has had the bragging rights over us too but win or lose we'd prefer them again I guess.

Thread Information