Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2019 IIHF World Championship – Kosice/Bratislava, Slovakia

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wagon View Post
    Clearly Canada's best game at this affair today against Germany. Be nice if somebody other than Stone or Mantha scored occasionally but can't complain.
    Absolutely great game. Canada controlled the play from start to finish except for that little blip when the Germans scored. Stone and Mantha were beasts out there.

On another note, the relegation battle is down to France vs Great Britain and Austria vs Italy. I can't see GBR or Italy winning anything. Italy has been dreadful and don't deserve to stay up. The Brits have been a little better but, seriously, they don't belong at this level. Too bad the IIHF don't reduce the amount of teams at the elite level to 14. Way too many blowouts.

IHF Member
    I agree on the fewer teams angle. Two advantages I see, first fewer blow-outs and 2nd 1 less game/shorter tournament which might help attract beaten-up NHL players. I understand the rationale for 16 teams to help the 2nd tier teams but at some point it's not worth it.

spicks, congrats on avoiding relegation!

Think this can bring more focus on the sport in GB?
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

See you in 2019...perhaps...

Wow!!! Talk about a stunning upset. Down 3-0, the Brits come all the way back to win in overtime. That was one of the most entertaining games I have seen at this tournament. What about Ben Davies, screws up a breakaway chance in the 1st period and goes on to score the winner in overtime. Crazy, crazy game.

IHF Member
    Wow, well done GBR. Another year in the top flight next year. Maybe they’ll get a chance against Norway next year !

Geoff

IHF Member
    caramba!! Well done GBR! What a game for the Brits! Another year in the TOP!
    Cheers, Franco

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    caramba!! Well done GBR! What a game for the Brits! Another year in the TOP!
    And now Italy just beat Austria in a shootout to stay up.
    I wouldn't have given a plugged nickel for either one's chances but surprise, surprise.

Big surprise in the relegation games. Didn’t think Italy would pull it off.
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

IHF Member
    Yeah, congrats to the Brits. Wild & crazy finale. Good for them. Italy staying up too and since they have been everyones punching bag I'm not sure thats a good thing. As per the conversation earlier, why have teams at this level who play 7 games but are only concerned about one ? Austria is probably the better team...although SVK probably deserves to be in the quarters too. Oh well.

CAN-USA tomorrow should be a good game. Usually CAN has a much better roster but not this year. One problem with the blow-outs is teams can develop bad habits. Important for CAN to get in the game ASAP and ramp the intensity from the start.

Yeah, congrats to the Brits. Wild & crazy finale. Good for them. Italy staying up too and since they have been everyones punching bag I'm not sure thats a good thing. As per the conversation earlier, why have teams at this level who play 7 games but are only concerned about one ? Austria is probably the better team...although SVK probably deserves to be in the quarters too. Oh well.

CAN-USA tomorrow should be a good game. Usually CAN has a much better roster but not this year. One problem with the blow-outs is teams can develop bad habits. Important for CAN to get in the game ASAP and ramp the intensity from the start.
    Slovakia will only deserve QFS once the team learns to play whole 60 minutes. Last year, they let in a goal that lost them points which would have secured a QF game in the opening game against Czech. This year, 2 seconds against Canadians and half a minute against Germans. There is a certain pattern that they should work on.

Austrians had a chance they belonged against Italy yesterday as did France against Brits. I know both teams were missing players, but still. The French threw away a 3:0 lead and once Brits scored the 3:1 goal, the French just didn't show the same desire to stay as the Brits did.
    25th of June 2015 - Worst day in the history of modern hockey in Slovakia

See you in 2019...perhaps...

IHF Member

Personally I think there are four teams too many.
    Even before yesterday's games, I thought Austria and France were no more deserving of staying in the top group than GB or Italy.
    The results kinda bore that out.

Canada and the US are gunning for first today, which I honestly didn't expect.
    I thought the Finns would get by Germany but it didn't happen.
    No matter where they finish its a tough QF match but nobody wants to see Russia in the quarters.

Russia is crazy good. What a second period against Sweden.
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennison View Post
    Russia is crazy good. What a second period against Sweden.
    Yeah...I'm glad CAN will avoid them for a while. D might possibly be weak but you have to get the puck away from their forwards first.
    Pretty close to their O team.

IHF Member
    CAN played a really complete game today. Good to beat the USA after losing twice last year. Murray was really solid and that may have been the difference this time.

Russia and Canada in Gold Medal Game this Year i think.

Great tournament from Germany by the way.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabal View Post
    Russia and Canada in Gold Medal Game this Year i think.

Great tournament from Germany by the way.
    Thank you Germany for giving Canada the chance to finish first...much obliged.

IHF Member
    So I'm guessing Mantha will sit a game for the hit to the head which means Bertuzzi will play. He had an OK season in the NHL although Mantha has been huge so far.

I hope we don't see a repeat of last year...the Swiss have been a problem for CAN recently.

I haven't heard if Larkin is OK. He took a shot to what looked like "a sensitive area".

IHF Member
    So I'm guessing Mantha will sit a game for the hit to the head which means Bertuzzi will play. He had an OK season in the NHL although Mantha has been huge so far.
    Yep, you're right, a one game suspension.
    Even with him out of the lineup Canada should have enough firepower to get by the Swiss.
    As terrific as Mantha has been, Mark Stone has been tearing it up as well.

IHF Member
    One little bit of intrigue this year is both Jack Hughes, USA (projected #1 pick in upcoming NHL draft) and Kakko Kaapo, Finland (projected #2) are playing. Hughes was a healthy scratch for the US against Canada. I don't know what that means and there is nothing on the USA Hockey website about it. Why was he was sat against Canada ? Meanwhile Kakko has been having an OK tournament with a few highlight reel plays but no points in his last 3 games.

IHF Member
    One little bit of intrigue this year is both Jack Hughes, USA (projected #1 pick in upcoming NHL draft) and Kakko Kaapo, Finland (projected #2) are playing. Hughes was a healthy scratch for the US against Canada. I don't know what that means and there is nothing on the USA Hockey website about it. Why was he was sat against Canada ?
    For one thing Johnny Gaudreau was reinserted in the lineup so somebody had to sit.
    And that somebody is someone who has one point in six games.
    We might be forgetting just one thing about Jack Hughes.
    He's a kid...a very talented player but still a kid.
    He only just turned 18 four days after the tournament commenced.
    Playing against his peers in the U18 tournament or even competing in the U20 is one thing.
    But playing against 25-30 year olds is another situation entirely.
    I mean his DOB is May 14, 2001...I've got stuff in the back of my fridge that's probably older than him.
    He's getting valuable experience playing in this tournament but Team USA has to go with the proven vets come crunch time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information