Thread: IIHF 2019 World Championships Division IIIQ

IHF Member

IIHF 2019 World Championships Division IIIQ

Anyone following this ? Could be a good chance for Bosnia to win. I’ll be interested to see how strong Kyrgyzstan are.

https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2019/wmiiiq

Geoff

IHF Member
    There isn't a roster up yet. How many native Russians did they normally run on their roster in the CCOA? Is it possible they could do a Turkmenistan and get promoted?

IHF Member
    Sorry I seem to have left out half my first sentence. The question related to Kyrgyzstan.

IHF Member
    Roster is out now. My knowledge on name origins isn't great but it looks like majority is Russian. https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2019/...127/kyrgyzstan

IHF Member
    Results from round 1

- Bosnia and Herzegovina 4-5 (SO) Thailand. Of note, Bosnia blew a three goal lead in the first to lose in the shootout
    - Kyrgyzstan 14-0 Kuwait
    - United Arab Emirates 11-1 Hong Kong

Standings
    - Kyrgyzstan - 3pts
    - United Arab Emirates - 3pts
    - Thailand - 2pts
    - Bosnia and Herzegovina - 1pt
    - Hong Kong - 0pts
    - Kuwait - 0pts

IHF Member
    And now Kuwait just got blown out 12-2 by Hong Kong. Seems that they're way out of their depth here.

They would be, they have a lot of old boys in their team.

interesting to see UAE have naturalised 4 players since the recent change in law. Guarantee the score sheets are mostly them.

IHF Member
    Besides Hong Kong's win the other results from Round 2 are:
    - Thailand 2-6 Kyrgyzstan
    - Bosnia and Herzegovina 3-10 United Arab Emirates

Standings
    - Kyrgyzstan - 6pts
    - United Arab Emirates - 6pts
    - Hong Kong - 3pts
    - Thailand - 2pts
    - Kuwait - 0pts

the UAE have five players in the top ten scorers
    - 1. Artur Zainutdinov - 13pts
    - 2. Juma Al Dhaheri - 9pts
    - 7. Khalifa Al Mahrooqi - 5pts
    - 8. Nils Rem - 5pts
    - 9. Artsiom Karkotski - 4pts

So three out of four are in the top ten scorers. Your hunch is pretty much spot on.

IHF Member
    Results from Round 3

- Bosnia and Herzegovina 3-14 Kyrgyzstan
    - Hong Kong 6-5 Thailand
    - United Arab Emirates 13-1 Kuwait

Standings
    - United Arab Emirates - 9pts
    - Kyrgyzstan - 9pts
    - Hong Kong - 6pts
    - Thailand - 2pts
    - Kuwait - 0pts

It's looking like Saturday will be for all the marbles in that UAE-Kyrgyzstan game.

At what point do we see the name changed for Division IV? After another year of six teams would be my guess.

IHF Prospect
    Hi everyone! I've been lurking in the backgrounds for a while and thought I'd finally chip in on the conversation. As every year, I've been trying to follow these lower divisions quite closely.

I've really been impressed by Kyrgyzstan this year which at least for me isn't that much of a surprise. These former Soviet Union nations seem to get quite a lot of help from the ethnic Russians. Georgia and Turkmenistan have already progressed to the next levels, this year it probably is Kyrgysztans turn if no eligibility issues arise. I wonder if Uzbekistan will shortly follow? To me it seems that these former soviet states and UAE with its nationalized expats will soon surpass "traditional" hockey nations like South Africa and Luxembourg. By the level of play I'd say at least Kyrgysztan already wouldn't be the worst team in division 3.

Kuwait on the other hand seems absolutely terrible. Kudos for taking part but they are by far the worst team in this division. Interestingly UAE didn't seem to play their dual-nats on the game last night and still they were far superior.

IHF Member
    It's definitely going to be interesting to see how Turkmenistan and Georgia perform this year after their 2018 promotions.

Isn't their some limit on the number of teams that can participate in the World Championship? So by the IIHF calling it Division III Qualification they are basically skirting the the cap on teams rule? I might be wrong though.

Round 4 results:
    - Kyrgyzstan 8-3 Hong Kong
    - Kuwait 0-9 Bosnia and Herzegovina
    - Thailand 2-8 United Arab Emirates

Standings
    - United Arab Emirates - 12pts
    - Kyrgyzstan - 12pts
    - Hong Kong - 6pts
    - Bosnia and Herzegovina - 4pts
    - Thailand - 2pts
    - Kuwait - 0pts

IHF Member
    Think Uzbekistan could be the next new entrants after they join the IIHF and will probably be quite strong using ethnic Russians.

I agree Kuwait are too weak, think they play for the prestige ! They would be better off playing in the CCoA and winning a few games.

Personally not happy with UAE’s foreign recruitment but most national teams do it to some extent.

Could go either way in tonight’s decider.

Geoff
    Last edited by GeoffH; 06-04-2019 at 16:23.

IHF Member
    all Kyrgyzstan games are now 0:5 forfeited to their opponents..... reason "Ineligible players"..

Who can help me with the originally game sheet, before the games were changed into a 0:5? I forgott to save this on my PC...

Remark:
    I found all the original game sheets in the Net...
    Last edited by Franco; 06-04-2019 at 16:03.
    Cheers, Franco

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    all Kyrgyzstan games are now 0:5 forfeited to their opponents..... reason "Ineligible players"..

Who can help me with the originally game sheet, before the games were changed into a 0:5? I forgott to save this on my PC...

Remark:
    I found all the original game sheets in the Net...
    Maybe just one, Aleksandr Petrov, based on his new "number." He may not be the only one, seeing as there are several new names in the program. Either way, if it is only Petrov, it is kind of ridiculous that when Jason Holland got busted for Germany in 2008, the scores remained yet so far the entire team has been punished here. Consistency...
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

IHF Prospect
    IIHF eligibility rules seem to be really hard for these ex-soviet states. Armenia, Georgia and now Kyrgysztan. It only seems to be Alexandr Titov that has been disqualified and if it's only him then I think it's really unfair to forfeit all the games. Watching the "final" right now and these are definitely the two best teams of the tournament and the winner should be promoted. Then again I find it odd that no one checks the player eligibilities when the rosters are out before the tournament begins...

IHF Member
    So KGZ beats UAE 7-4 and finishes last, UAE wins the group and gets promoted. Eligibility issues should really be sorted out before play starts, shame.

Geoff

IHF Member
    An unnecessary tournament, more and more national teams have naturalized players. UAE would not win a tournament without new hockey players. Last year they played weakly and often such progress.
    Perhaps ice hockey is not going to be a handball - Qatar in the final in World Championship...

IHF Prospect
    A bittersweet end to Kyrgysztan. I was surprised how much they celebrated the win. Almost as they had won the tournament or something. I was kind of expecting eligibility issues regarding Vladimir Tonkikh who according to eliteprospects played in Kazakhstan in 17-18 season and was born there, but maybe he played the 2 seasons in Kyrgysztan at some point.

I'm not thrilled at naturalizing players, but I do think they can be helpful for the local hockey program. In the case of UAE the league they have wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the large number of expats so one could argue they've done their share for the hockey in the country. At least you have to have a credible league in the country in order to get quality players over. (One team cases like Medvescak shouldn't count though) Artur Zainudtinov was great in this tournament and maybe some of that skill will rub of on younger kids in the Emirates.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokidudefromfinland View Post
    A bittersweet end to Kyrgysztan. I was surprised how much they celebrated the win. Almost as they had won the tournament or something. I was kind of expecting eligibility issues regarding Vladimir Tonkikh who according to eliteprospects played in Kazakhstan in 17-18 season and was born there, but maybe he played the 2 seasons in Kyrgysztan at some point.

I'm not thrilled at naturalizing players, but I do think they can be helpful for the local hockey program. In the case of UAE the league they have wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the large number of expats so one could argue they've done their share for the hockey in the country. At least you have to have a credible league in the country in order to get quality players over. (One team cases like Medvescak shouldn't count though) Artur Zainudtinov was great in this tournament and maybe some of that skill will rub of on younger kids in the Emirates.
    Well, I do not agree to 100%. If the UAE is already bringing former players from the Eastern bloc, I do not think the UAE youth are motivated by the "victory" at this tournament. Ice hockey should actually remain exotic in such countries. I do not mind if one or two players are in a team that has been living and working in this country for years (Füglister = Philippines), but this does not make sense at all. These are all pure amateurs and they should stay that way. If players are naturalized, just to win a tournament, that's idiotic in my eyes. Too much ambition here .... who will play a group higher for the UAE next year? With ten new players from Belarus? Serbia has already done this once with several Canadians, only to leave with them again immediately from the once ascended group again ...

Armenia should not be compared to Kyrgyzstan. For years, Armenia has deliberately tried to play with non-eligible players. It just stupid that they were not smart enough .... I do not want to accuse Kyrgyzstan of this. Strange that this only comes out on the last day ... In my eyes, the IIHF once again did not do their homework. Nothing new...

By the way, I do not mind if former players from other countries in a national league (like the one in the UAE) are helping to make ice hockey better. But they do not have to play in the national team ...
    Cheers, Franco

IHF Prospect
    I think the UAE league is at least partly semi-professional? I think it's nice that they have ambitions and I bellieve they have motivation to develop the sport in the country. On a curious side note according to the president of Georgian federation there will be a Georgian team taking part in the championship next season. They've had much more players that they could have naturalized so maybe they do realize that they should also rely on domestic talent. I agree that a team full of belorussians would be ridiculous.

I also believe that one should be able to change nationality and represent the new nation if they want to. However the 2 year rule is a joke. It should be at least 3 or 4 years which would make the player have to commit to the new nation much more. These guys UAE utilized have been there for at least 3 years (Savko for 10 years or so) I think so I don't really have a problem with them. Then again I think it should be made easier to represent the nation of origin of the player even if it means not having played there after the age of 10. The 2 year rule could be OK for second generation players whose parents hail from the country in question.

My point earlier was that if a national federation wants to use nationalized players, it should have to invest to the domestic league of the nation to make it better attracting more quality players.

Thread Information