Thread: Creation of a Division III Group B and Division IV for 2020

IIHF Creation of a Division III Group B and Division IV for 2020

The IIHF are announcing new groups and divisions for the Men`s senior championships for 2020:
    A 4 team Division III Group B with South Africa, Hong Kong, Bosnia and Thailand(to be played in South Africa)

A 4 team Division IV with Kyrgyzstan, Kuwait, Malaysia and the Philippines (played in Kyrgyzstan)

https://www.iihf.com/en/tournaments?...ategory=worlds

https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2019/...-2020-assigned

I am all for adding more teams to the worlds (54 in total next year) and great to see the new Division IV

Your thoughts and comments?

Good to see new teams entering the fray. Now, if we coukd only hope for the return of Greece and Ireland...
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

IHF Member
    First reaction is that going for two groups of four is an odd choice. Means Kyrgyzstan get relegated for having an ineligible player. They now host Div IV against three much weaker teams.

Geoff

IHF Member
    Ireland and Greece need a full size rink and a domestic league. Not going to happen for a long time.

Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffH View Post
    Ireland and Greece need a full size rink and a domestic league. Not going to happen for a long time.

Geoff
    Full size rink is good reason but domestic league isnt. Serbia doesnt have domestic league, just two clubs and they playing IIHF competition without any problems. Even division 1B next year without domestic competition. I really dont understand IIHF and why they dont do something about inspection of domestic competitions
    A-light-in-the-dark: Sofia Bulgaria, Skopje Macedonia, Sarajevo & Pristina :)

First reaction is that going for two groups of four is an odd choice. Means Kyrgyzstan get relegated for having an ineligible player. They now host Div IV against three much weaker teams.

Geoff
    It depends on format. Two groups of four cuts organizer costs by reducing accommodation, ice rental, etc. It could also depend on facilities. Kyrgyzstan hosted a Challenge Cup before that only had four teams. Perhaps their rink only has four dressing rooms?

I like it but with some trepidation. Too often we see teams withdraw due to financial constraints down at this level. If the number of teams entering can be consistent from year to year, I'm OK with that, but it wouldn't look great if there are mass fluctuations every year.

It does look like the Challenge Cup of Asia is doing its job but... yeesh... some *very* inconsistent entrants will be all that is left.

Wasn't noted before here but Lithuania will join the WW's. This is a great step for their program coming off neighbor Ukraine's return from a 24! year hiatus. It wasn't that long ago they had zero registered females.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

IHF Member
    I hope the CCoA survives. It has been a huge success in developing new national teams and I’d hate to see Mongolia left with no one to play.

Geoff

IHF Member
    I just started to work out the statistics for the 2013 World Championship. And I am painfully reminded again that in this year the IIHF has decided that Mongolia, Greece and Ireland are no longer allowed to compete in the World Championships because they did not have an ice rink with Olympic size and also no functioning league. I think until today that this was one of the most stupid decisions of the IIHF, and they have decided a lot of nonsense. Is there another world federation that has already decided that countries are no longer allowed to participate in a World Championship? It does not matter for what reason? In Football? In handball? In basketball? Any other sport? That an ice rink should have correct size, so I can live halfway. But what's the f* with the "functioning league"? OK, if there's no national league (Ireland), then it gets a bit difficult. But Greece and Mongolia probably still had and still have a functioning national league. With this decision of the IIHF they have destroyed at least the ice hockey in Greece. I've seen the Greeks play twice (once Mongolia). And when you have seen them, then you know with what passion both of these teams were there. Mongolia was then in Luxenbourg THE sensation. Everyone wanted to take a picture with a player or a companion from Mongolia. And they enjoyed it! Also, I do not forget the derby between the Turkey and Greece in Luxembourg either. 500 fantastic fans of both countries (probably mostly from Germany arrived) and in the middle of the stadium my brother and I ... mood fantastic ... The whole situation makes me even more angry today. At least I would really wish Mongolia and Greece to be able to do it again. Ireland must have some work on its league, as far as I know, since no longer existed for years. And the presidency of the IIHF should be replaced slowly. These are all bad politicians, but none of the decision in the sense of the sport (or in the sense of the fans ... but for the fans - outside the stadium, because they bring no money - has the IIHF even since years no more interest). Maybe no Swiss should actually lead such a federation. We have now had two very bad experiences in the near past. And yes, this is maybe an offence, but I'm Swiss to 100%, it is allowed for me to write this here.
    Cheers, Franco

IHF Member
    I was and still am very disappointed that Greece, Ireland and Mongolia were excluded from the WC. The logic , I understand, was that the IIHF wanted National Associations to develop domestic competition before playing in the WC. The unintended consequence has been that domestic competition has been set back in these countries.

Geoff

IHF Member

next year

Dundalk icerink would be ready to play an national league in Ireland and Mongolia get there first indoor ice rink

So maybe yhey could play in 2020-201 at the IIHF tournament

Bye teh way does someone knows the national league of Mongolia (leaguetables and play-off results)?

Greetings
    rowan

I was and still am very disappointed that Greece, Ireland and Mongolia were excluded from the WC. The logic , I understand, was that the IIHF wanted National Associations to develop domestic competition before playing in the WC. The unintended consequence has been that domestic competition has been set back in these countries.

Geoff

Thread Information