Thread: 2020 IIHF U20 World Championship

IHF Member

2020 IIHF U20 World Championship

The 2020 World Championship started yesterday in Ostrava and Trinec, Czech Republic. Finland is the defending champion while Germany comes in as the lowest seed, replacing the relegated Denmark.

https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2020/wm20

On Day 1 Kazakhstan did not bad in their loss to Switzerland, the host upset Russia, Sweden beat Finland in OT and Canada bested the United States.

- Switzerland 5-3 Kazakhstan
    - Czech Republic 4-3 Russia
    - Sweden 3-2 (OT) Finland
    - Canada 6-4 United States

Group A standings
    1. Switzerland - 3pts (1 game)
    2. Sweden - 2pts (1 game)
    3. Finland - 1pt (1 game)
    4. Kazakhstan - 0pts (1 game)
    5. Slovakia - 0pts (0 games)

Group B standings
    1. Canada - 3pts (1 game)
    2. Czech Republic - 3pts (1 game)
    3. Russia - 0pts (1 game)
    4. United States - 0pts (1 game)
    5. Germany - 0pts (0 games)

IHF Member
    Only two games on Day Two with both Slovakia and the United States picking up their first wins of the tournament.

- Slovakia 3-1 Kazakhstan
    - Germany 3-6 United States

Group A standings
    1. Switzerland - 3pts (1 game)
    2. Slovakia - 3pts (1 game)
    3. Sweden - 2pts (1 game)
    4. Finland - 1pt (1 game)
    5. Kazakhstan - 0pts (2 games)

Group B standings
    1. Canada - 3pts (1 game)
    2. Czech Republic - 3pts (1 game)
    3. United States - 3pts (2 games)
    4. Russia - 0pts (1 game)
    5. Germany - 0pts (1 game)

IHF Member
    So, ah, I believe this was the worst beating in Canadian U-20 history. Amazing thing is I watched the whole thing. I erroneously thought there might be something good at some point. Not the case. Even worse their best player looks to have a serious injury. The sun will come up tomorrow somewhere (although not for me because I live in BC and it rains here until April). The Spengler cup team is 2-0 which is some (very) small consolation.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wagon View Post
    So, ah, I believe this was the worst beating in Canadian U-20 history. Amazing thing is I watched the whole thing. I erroneously thought there might be something good at some point. Not the case. Even worse their best player looks to have a serious injury. The sun will come up tomorrow somewhere (although not for me because I live in BC and it rains here until April). The Spengler cup team is 2-0 which is some (very) small consolation.
    I think there have been worse but it might be the biggest shutout loss.
    It was the first time Canada had been shutout in any U20 game since Dec 1998, 21 years ago.
    Never at any time did the Canadians look like they were in this game while the Russians look like they were on a mission.
    And losing Lafreniere to what may be a season ending injury was the worst part of all.
    The result left every team in that group tied with a 1-1 record although Canada's goal for-against took a beating.
    The Canadians finish up against the Czechs and Germans.
    If Canada can win those games in regulation and if the Americans could take a point from the Russians Canada may yet win this group.
    Losing their best player though, is very demoralizing.

I am impressed by the standings in group B. All teams at three points after two games.
    Cum bibam cervisiam gaudeo.

IHF Member
    Amazingly only Sweden of the ten teams has started with 2 wins and one of those was in overtime. Just remember though that 8 of the ten will qualify for the knockout stages, so nothing matters much at this stage.

Geoff

IHF Member
    So a bit of a summary of Day Three to build on the comments above.

- Finland 8-1 Slovakia
    - Czech Republic 3-4 Germany
    - Switzerland 2-5 Sweden
    - Russia 6-0 Canada

Group A standings
    1. Sweden - 5pts (2 games)
    2. Finland - 4pts (2 games)
    3. Switzerland - 3pts (2 games)
    4. Slovakia - 3pts (2 games)
    5. Kazakhstan - 0pts (2 games)

Group B standings
    1. Russia - 3pts (2 games)
    2. United States - 3pts (2 games)
    3. Czech Republic - 3pts (2 games)
    4. Germany - 3pts (2 games)
    5. Canada - 3pts (2 games)

IHF Member
    Germany has been playing well so CAN-GER should be interesting. Too bad Hayden made his childish blunder with the helmet thing - I hope this doesn't mar his career. Unfortunate. Anyway, after considerable reflection I have decided on these positives from the RUS debacle:

1.) Daws has had 2 chances to be #1 and its time for somebody else.
    2.) Any chance of this team being too cocky should be eliminated
    3.) Lafreniere being unavailable should reduce the risk of everybody standing around waiting for him to do something.

Sweden's record is astounding. Both utter dominance in the prelims & frustration in the medal round. Truth stranger than fiction.

IHF Member
    Lafreniere being unavailable should reduce the risk of everybody standing around waiting for him to do something.

Sweden's record is astounding. Both utter dominance in the prelims & frustration in the medal round. Truth stranger than fiction.
    Lafreniere's injury is not as bad as first feared according to a TSN report.
    He was seen walking back to his hotel room without crutches but with a noticeable limp.
    An MRI apparently showed there was no tear in either the ACL or the MCL which would be great news.
    There is even hope he might be ready for the playoff round but that might be a tad optimistic.

As for the Swedes that record is both a blessing and a curse as all those wins haven't translated into very many titles.
    The Swedes are the masters of winning all the games that don't always matter.

IHF Member
    USA 3 Russia 1

Well what do you know?
    After handing the Canadians their heads yesterday, Russia goes out today and lose to the Yanks.
    God Bless America!

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heatleysucks View Post
    USA 3 Russia 1

Well what do you know?
    After handing the Canadians their heads yesterday, Russia goes out today and lose to the Yanks.
    God Bless America!
    Yeah, one thing about these young kids, they can look really good or really bad depending on the mood that day. It's still really early but I haven't seen much from Byfield who is expected to be #2 or perhaps even #1 next June

IHF Member
    Only two games for Day 4 which saw Finland smash Kazakhstan (only slightly less severely then yesterday against Slovakia) and Russia brought back to earth with a loss to the United States (not every opponent can be Canada I guess).

- Kazakhstan 1-7 Finland
    - United States 3-1 Russia

Group A standings
    1. Finland - 7pts (3 games)
    2. Sweden - 5pts (2 games)
    3. Switzerland - 3pts (2 games)
    4. Slovakia - 3pts (2 games)
    5. Kazakhstan - 0pts (3 games)

Group B standings
    1. United States - 6pts (3 games)
    2. Czech Republic - 3pts (2 games)
    3. Germany - 3pts (2 games)
    4. Canada - 3pts (2 games)
    5. Russia - 3pts (3 games)

Canada has a solid workmanlike performance against Germany, winning 4-1. Solid goaltending and excellent puck possession all around. Germans played ok but they could not match Canada's grit.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alberto View Post
    Canada has a solid workmanlike performance against Germany, winning 4-1. Solid goaltending and excellent puck possession all around. Germans played ok but they could not match Canada's grit.
    I would say the Germans couldn't match the Canadians' skill but they are a plucky bunch and have played hard in every game so far.
    Although not a work of art it was a solid enough performance for Canada coming off that catastrophe against Russia.
    Canada controls its own fate, thanks to Team USA's win over Russia yesterday.
    A win in regulation against the Czechs Tuesday will win the group.
    Of course, if the Czechs upset the Americans later today like they did Russia they too will be playing for first.

IHF Member
    Hofer was very solid for CAN. Those big two saves with the score 1-0 were huge. I'm glad Veleno is coming back, he is a solid performer and we need a good game against CZE. Finish either first or 2nd and we'll get a (relatively) easy first round paring.....not that anything is a given in this tournament.

IHF Member
    Hofer was very solid for CAN. Those big two saves with the score 1-0 were huge. I'm glad Veleno is coming back, he is a solid performer and we need a good game against CZE. Finish either first or 2nd and we'll get a (relatively) easy first round paring.....not that anything is a given in this tournament.
    This is hard to believe, especially after watching the Canada-Russia game, but the Russians are actually facing a do or die situation Tuesday.
    If the Russians fall to Germany they are out...not a likely outcome but given how this tournament has played out so far, it's not an impossible scenario.

IHF Member
    That would be a laugh if Russia ended up in the relegation round but I'm not betting the farm on it. Due to the way the split is this year Sweden will have a tough first round opponent.

IHF Member
    Summary for Day 5

- Kazakhstan 2-6 Sweden
    - Germany 1-4 Canada
    - Slovakia 2-7 Switzerland
    - United States 4-3 (OT) Czech Republic

Group A standings
    1. Sweden - 8pts (3 games)
    2. Finland - 7pts (3 games)
    3. Switzerland - 6pts (3 games)
    4. Slovakia - 3pts (3 games)
    5. Kazakhstan - 0pts (4 games)

Group B standings
    1. United States - 8pts (4 games)
    2. Canada - 6pts (3 games)
    3. Czech Republic - 4pts (3 games)
    4. Russia - 3pts (3 games)
    3. Germany - 3pts (3 games)

IHF Member
    That would be a laugh if Russia ended up in the relegation round but I'm not betting the farm on it. Due to the way the split is this year Sweden will have a tough first round opponent.
    If Russia beat Germany in OT or PS then hosts Czech end up in the relegation series against Kazakhstan if they lose to Canada ! Most likely Russia wins in regulation and it is Germany in the relegation series.

Geoff

Germany looked lost against Russia. They couldn't get much going. They will now play in the relegation round against Kazakhstan. I don't think the Kazakhs will beat them but anything can happen.

IHF Member
    Not that I was hoping for suspense but the CAN-CZE game appears over after 1 period. 4 PP goals all from CZE penalties taken in the Canadian zone. I hope CAN backs and takes it easy off in front of the home crowd.

I also don't think GER will have any trouble against KAZ but yeah, anything can happen.

Not that I was hoping for suspense but the CAN-CZE game appears over after 1 period. 4 PP goals all from CZE penalties taken in the Canadian zone. I hope CAN backs and takes it easy off in front of the home crowd.

I also don't think GER will have any trouble against KAZ but yeah, anything can happen.
    That first period was crazy and the second is just as wacko. How about those 3 goals in 24 seconds? Back to Germany-Kazakhstan, I think the Germans will win it in the minimum 2 games but the Kazakhs will not get blown out.

IHF Member
    Gotta hand it to the Czechs for making the game interesting after the awful start. Who knows what would have happened if CAN hadn't gotten the fluky 5th goal.

I see the Swiss beat Finland to grab 2nd spot. Not to suggest any conspiracy theories....BUT...would you rather face the US or Russia ?
    Probably a toss-up but who do the Finns prefer ? Reminds me of a couple of Olympics ago when Sweden had a surprising loss to set-up a favourable medal round match-up. Swiss program is on the upswing & I didn't see the game so just wild speculation.

IHF Member
    Gotta hand it to the Czechs for making the game interesting after the awful start. Who knows what would have happened if CAN hadn't gotten the fluky 5th goal.
    Gotta believe that had the Czechs won that OT game yesterday against the States things would have been a whole lot different.
    A win yesterday would have meant a showdown for first with Canada.
    That alone would have made them more focused and disciplined, which they certainly were not today.

IHF Member
    Summary for Day 6. Now onto the playoffs and relegation round. In the quarters it is Switzerland v Russia, Canada v Slovakia, United States v Finland and Sweden v Czech Republic. While in relegation it is Kazakhstan v Germany in a best of three seriess.

- Sweden 6-2 Slovakia
    - Russia 6-1 Germany
    - Finland 2-5 Switzerland
    - Canada 7-2 Czech Republic

Group A standings
    1. Sweden - 11pts (4 games)
    2. Switzerland - 9pts (4 games)
    3. Finland - 7pts (4 games)
    4. Slovakia - 3pts (4 games)
    5. Kazakhstan - 0pts (4 games)

Group B standings
    1. Canada - 9pts (4 games)
    2. United States - 8pts (4 games)
    3. Russia - 6pts (4 games)
    4. Czech Republic - 4pts (4 games)
    5. Germany - 3pts (4 games)

Germany wins the first relegation game 4-0 vs Kazakhstan. No surprise here. I think the Germans will win again on Saturday and avoid playing the 3rd game.

Austria promoted from Division 1A this year will join the elite group next year in Edmonton/Red Deer. Has anyone seen them play who can comment on their chances for next year?

IHF Member
    FIN-USA was a nail-biter. Now can Canada match the Finn intensity ? Still waiting for Byfield to do something, he's been invisible. Glad to see Lafreniere playing & playing with abandon.

SWE - RUS should be interesting. Not making any predictions though on either game.

IHF Member
    FIN-USA was a nail-biter. Now can Canada match the Finn intensity ? Still waiting for Byfield to do something, he's been invisible. Glad to see Lafreniere playing & playing with abandon.

SWE - RUS should be interesting. Not making any predictions though on either game.
    Unfortunately for Canada Nolan Foote won't play because of that match penalty he took early in the game.
    I'm so glad Hofer has emerged as as a solid stopper because the semi with Finland looks like a goaltender's duel.
    Didn't see the Czech game against Sweden but it appears their PK and PP let the Czechs down again.

IHF Member
    Summary for Day 7. Following their wins Sweden will play Russia in the first semifinal and Canada play Finland in the second.

Relegation round
    - Game 1: Germany 4-0 Kazakhstan

Quarterfinals
    - Switzerland 1-3 Russia
    - Canada 6-1 Slovakia
    - United States 0-1 Finland
    - Sweden 5-0 Czech Republic

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heatleysucks View Post
    Unfortunately for Canada Nolan Foote won't play because of that match penalty he took early in the game.
    I'm so glad Hofer has emerged as as a solid stopper because the semi with Finland looks like a goaltender's duel.
    Didn't see the Czech game against Sweden but it appears their PK and PP let the Czechs down again.
    Are you sure he won't play ? I thought the IIHF does a review and decides on whether a game is necessary ? Slo-mo shows it wasn't really initial contact to the head and frankly I don't think deserved a penalty let alone a suspension.

IHF Member
    Are you sure he won't play ? I thought the IIHF does a review and decides on whether a game is necessary ? Slo-mo shows it wasn't really initial contact to the head and frankly I don't think deserved a penalty let alone a suspension.
    Well Chuck, it turns out he will indeed play.
    I was under the impression from the discussion by the TSN panelists that such penalties usually get a one game suspension almost automatically.
    But, thankfully, I was wrong.
    I agree the hit wasn't as bad as it may have looked to the referees in the moment.
    The Slovak player was crouched over so Foote, who is a big guy anyway, couldn't help but hit him high.
    I think the officials reviewing it realized it wasn't a malicious or intentional play but it was a case of the Slovak player making himself vulnerable.
    In fact, I recall Jeff O'Neill saying that players are never taught to go towards the boards or brace for impending contact the way that Slovak player did.

IHF Member
    Sweden out. Again. Must be agony for those guys. 13 years of running the table & only 1 gold.

CAN has been starting slow all tournament - jitters I guess. Need to end that habit today.

IHF Member
    CAN has been starting slow all tournament - jitters I guess. Need to end that habit today.
    Consider it done.
    3-0 Canada just four minutes into the game.

Sweden out. Again. Must be agony for those guys. 13 years of running the table & only 1 gold.

Russia has a excellent team this year and H÷glander 5+20 after 5 min didnt help us.

IHF Member
    Summary for Day 8. Kazakhstan levelled the three game relegation series against Germany, Russia and Canada advance to the gold medal game and Sweden and Finland play for bronze.

Relegation round
    - Game 2: Kazakhstan 4-1 Germany

Semifinals
    - Sweden 4-5 (OT) Russia
    - Canada 5-0 Finland

IHF Member
    So the Kazakhs have life. Wouldn't have guessed it. Germany definitely belongs at this level.

Sounds like Hayton is a long shot for Sunday. In view of the helmet incident I wouldn't be surprised if he got a lot of extra attention from the patriotic russians. Unfortunate in any case, the guy leads the team in goals and is one of the best players.

So the Kazakhs have life. Wouldn't have guessed it. Germany definitely belongs at this level.

Sounds like Hayton is a long shot for Sunday. In view of the helmet incident I wouldn't be surprised if he got a lot of extra attention from the patriotic russians. Unfortunate in any case, the guy leads the team in goals and is one of the best players.
    Germany wins the 3rd and final relegation round game 6-0 to stay up. The Kazakhs are relegated to be replaced by Austria next year in Edmonton/Red Deer. The only surprise in all of this is that it took Germany 3 games to relegate the Kazakhs.

IHF Member
    Ha...had to tape the game and for some reason the stupid thing ended with 4 mins left in the game...was forced to check the final on-line since I couldn't stand the suspense. Lot of interesting story lines this year...the continuing mystery of the two Sweden teams, ie prelim & medal round, the 6-0 record breaking crushing by the BRM, the Hayton incident, injury and redemption, little used Thomas being the hero, Lafreniere & the injury and return, Hofer being the unexpected goalie standout. Will watch the last 4 mins tonight since TSN does a replay. Also need to comment on Finland...after last years W Ch where they won gold with a no-name roster & an AHL goalie I have to commend them - always in the mix regardless of the names on the jerseys.

IHF Member
    Summary from the final day though everyone has probably seen the scores by now. The win by Canada gives them their 18th gold medal of the World U20 Championships.

Relegation round
    - Game 3: Germany 6-0 Kazakhstan

Bronze medal
    - Sweden 3-2 Finland

Gold medal
    - Canada 4-3 Russia

Final standings
    1. Canada
    2. Russia
    3. Sweden
    4. Finland
    5. Switzerland
    6. United States
    7. Czech Republic
    8. Slovakia
    9. Germany
    10. Kazakhstan - relegated to Division I Group A

IHF Member
    Ha...had to tape the game and for some reason the stupid thing ended with 4 mins left in the game...was forced to check the final on-line since I couldn't stand the suspense.
    That's why I always, always record the next scheduled show after the game because they never allow enough time.
    Thought it was over when it was 3-1 but then cue the comeback.
    Kinda like the game in Buffalo a few years back when Canada had a 3-0 lead and looked in total control and then the Russians came storming back to win 5-3.
    Turnabout is fair play I guess.

IHF Member
    Next year Can is in the "soft" group with Finland & the Swiss. The other side has Sweden, Russia & the US, plus the Czechs.

Thread Information