Thread: 2020 IIHF U18 Women's World Championship Division II Group A

IHF Member

2020 IIHF U18 Women's World Championship Division II Group A

Division II Group A of the Women's U18 World Championships got underway yesterday in Eindhoven, Netherlands. Division II Group A is previously one half the Division I Qualification, the other being Division II Group B. The IIHF opted to host two four team tournaments instead of one eight team tournament like they did for the Men's U20 Division III tournament. The Netherlands is the top seed of the tournament after being relegated from Division I Group B in 2019. Australia is the lowest seed after losing last years third place game to Chinese Taipei.

https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2020/ww18iia

On Day 1 Chinese Taipei upset top seed the Netherlands and Australia picked up an overtime win over Kazakhstan. So two upsets on the opening day isn't bad.

- Chinese Taipei 2-1 Netherlands
    - Kazakhstan 2-3 (OT) Australia

Standings
    1. Chinese Taipei - 3pts
    2. Australia - 2pts
    3. Kazakhstan - 1pt
    4. Netherlands - 0pts

IHF Member
    Day 2 saw the Netherlands bounce back with a win over Australia and Chinese Taipei continued to win with a OT against Kazakhstan. Promotion looks like its going towards either the Netherlands or Chinese Taipei. Australia could play spoiler to Chinese Taipei but I don't see Netherlands losing to Kazakhstan.

- Netherlands 2-0 Australia
    - Kazakhstan 3-4 (OT) Australia

1. Chinese Taipei - 5pts
    2. Netherlands - 3pts
    3. Australia - 2pts
    4. Kazakhstan - 2pts

IHF Member
    The final day of the tournament say Chinese Taipei defeat Australia, claim gold and earn promotion to Division I Group B for 2021. Chinese Taipei debuted at the World Championships last year and finish third so this is the best improvement they could hope for. Top seed Netherlands finishes second with a win over Kazakhstan. Speaking of Kazakhstan, they finish last and will be relegated to Division II Group B.

- Australia 3-4 Chinese Taipei
    - Netherlands 4-1 Kazakhstan

1. Chinese Taipei - 8pts - promoted to Division I Group B
    2. Netherlands - 6pts
    3. Australia - 2pts
    4. Kazakhstan - 2pts = relegated to Division II Group B

Thread Information