Thread: 2020 IIHF U18 Women's World Championship Division II Group B

IHF Member

2020 IIHF U18 Women's World Championship Division II Group B

Division II Group B of the Women's U18 World Championships got underway yesterday in Mexico City, Mexico. Division II Group B is previously the lower ranked bottom half of the Division I Qualification. Spain is the top seed after finishing fifth in last years Division I Qualification. New Zealand make their debut at the Women's U18 World Championships having previously participated in the 2017 and 2018 Women's Challenge Cup of Asia. New Zealand was a late addition to this tournament after originally planning on playing in the 2019 Women's Challenge Cup of Asia.

https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2020/ww18iib

Day 1 competition is still underway so I will follow this poster later on with the scores and standings. Although at the time of writing Turkey has picked up a narrow win over New Zealand.

IHF Member
    Day 1 finishes with wins for Turkey and Spain, same scores, same margins.

- Turkey 3-2 New Zealand
    - Mexico 2-3 Spain

Standings
    1. Spain - 3pts
    2. Turkey - 3pts
    3. Mexico - 0pts
    4. New Zealand - 0pts

IHF Member
    Day 2 finishes much the same with wins for Turkey and Spain. What I didn't realise is this four team tournament has a playoff round unlike Division II Group A which just played a preliminary round. At this rate I assume it will still end up with a Spain v Turkey final but New Zealand got close against Turkey on Day 1 so anything is possible.

- Spain 6-1 New Zealand
    - Turkey 2-0 Mexico

Standings
    1. Spain - 6pts
    2. Turkey - 6pts
    3. Mexico - 0pts
    4. New Zealand - 0pts

IHF Member
    Day 3 sees the end of the preliminary round. Mexico picked up their first win of the tournament and Spain shutout Turkey so they are looking to be easy favourites. The tournament organisers made the teams play three games in a row which isn't usually seen in the World Championships. They do however have a day off now before the playoff round.

- Spain 9-0 Turkey
    - New Zealand 1-2 Mexico

Standings
    1. Spain - 9pts
    2. Turkey - 6pts
    3. Mexico - 3pts
    4. New Zealand - 0pts

IHF Member
    Day 4 was the start of the playoffs the semifinals. Spain was forced to overtime to beat New Zealand in their semi while Turkey got the win over Mexico. So tomorrow we will have Spain taking on Turkey for gold and promotion.

Semifinals
    - Spain 2-1 (OT) New Zealand
    - Turkey 4-2 Mexico

IHF Member
    Final day of competition saw Spain shutout Turkey by a hefty margin to win gold and gain promotion to Division II Group A for 2021. Its the same score against Turkey as last years fifth place game. Host Mexico picked up third with a win over New Zealand.

- Magic moment for Spain: https://www.iihf.com/en/events/2020/...ment-for-spain

Assuming no additional nations apply to join the Women's U18 World Championships for 2021 we should see Kazakhstan relegated to Group B. However this competition has been expanding each year so we might see Group A expanded to a six team tournament. I also don't see New Zealand returning to the Challenge Cup of Asia now that they have debuted at the Worlds. I guess its now a wait and see.

- Gold medal game: Spain 7-0 Turkey
    - Bronze medal game: New Zealand 3-6 Mexico

Final standings
    1. Spain - promoted to Division II Group A
    2. Turkey
    3. Mexico
    4. New Zealand

Thread Information