Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hockey in UAE

IHF Prospect

United Arab Emirates Hockey in UAE

Does anyone have contact people/teams/organization/etc to obtain information on coaching minor hockey in this area. Also info on Senior Mens hockey tournaments. Thanks

IHF Member

national team picture/jerseys UAE?

Who can help me with an national team picture and an picture of the jerseys home and away of UAE? :)

Quote Originally Posted by rowan
    Who can help me with an national team picture and an picture of the jerseys home and away of UAE? :)
    Nope! But maybe this will help......
    http://www.dubaimightycamels.com/cam...2002-pics.html

Headcoach

More information about UAE hockey

Current third Keramin goalkeeper (and goalkeepers coach) Andrei Kudin has told many interesting facts about UAE ice hockey(where he was played last season) in his interview to "Pressball". He was played for club named "Al- Vagda".

Fisrt of all, popularity of this sport there is growing up really fast. As it was noticed above, there are many canadiens that live and work there - and that was the first push to create a league as they wanted to have their favorite game there. But there is two teams consisted basicly from domestic players.

There are 6-8 teams in the league and the number depends on the works permissions of competitors (becouse usually the are for 3 years term). All teams ara ameteur completely, they really love to play and there are rare cases when somebody doen't arrive to game - but, what is typycal for their arabian players - they are don't like to train much being a little lazy:) We can understand it, I think, espessially when goverment support their people really well - he told about cases when young boy 25 years old hasn't finish 6 classes of school, but has't reasons to be worried becouse of financial support of the goverment.

The only foreigners UAE have - are from Belarus, some are coaching. The number of foreigners beame be limited for the last time, becouse "it prevents to develope young domestics talents".

It's hard to beileve, but Belarus president Lukashenko was one of the main reason to development also:) What's happened, that Lukashenko was in tourne in UAE and organized with his team a friendly game. And some "sheikh", who is now the president of their hockey federation, saw the game and got really loved in it. It can be the reason for why only belarussians got their invintations to play there.

There are three rinks in the country: in Dubai, Abu-Dabi and Aleign(maybe wrong transcription?) - small town that is situated in oasis in the middle of the desert.
    The attendance is pretty good and it's always full when play-off is coming. But my question is - how many capacity they have? :scratchhe

They havn't child hockey schools, only cnanadiens buy 2-3 times in year the ice to train the children.

And the general level of hockey in UAE is pretty good!!!. Kudin pretty sure that if they were play in IIHF champ, they would be not on the last place. Good example: Al-Vagda took participation in international tournament in Baden-Baden where also 3 teams form third german and one from second french division palyed and won it!! :shockey68

So, the only reason why they don't start to participate in IIHF championships - is religion. For example, during Rammadahn, they can't eat and drink when the sun is and can do it only at night. So Kudin told, that team had their trainings at midnight during Rammadahn!! :shockey68
    I don't know how the championships can disturb them - the rammadahn is in autumn, and IIHF champ is at spring...Maybe there is another religious dates in spring.

Anyway, that's it. Hope you like it, dispite of the long post. :)
    Last edited by Aldair; 21-10-2006 at 05:50.

Neat, thanks for the update!

Religion doesn't prevent national football teams of muslim countries from participating in international competitions, so I'm sure that's ok.

Great post Aldair, thanks a lot!!!

Really surprise how hockey grown in UAE and unexpected connection between Emirates and Belarus...

BTW: I found the exact name of team where Kudin played, is Al Wahda.
    I found 2004 roster and team was coached by a Yuri Faikov...maybe another belarussian??

And to Rowan, to prevent your request..:003: :005:

Here's the logo:

Quote Originally Posted by Québecois
    And to Rowan, to prevent your request..:003: :005:

Here's the logo:

Haha, a Pre-emptive strike! :005:
    There is no such thing as a "Bad Hockey Market"
    There are, however, several markets with "Bad Hockey"

International Hockey Forums on Social Media:
    https://twitter.com/ihf_forums
    https://www.facebook.com/ihf.forums

Quote Originally Posted by aldair1808
    So, the only reason why they don't start to participate in IIHF championships - is religion. For example, during Rammadahn, they can't eat and drink when the sun is and can do it only at night. So Kudin told, that team had their trainings at midnight during Rammadahn!! :shockey68
    I don't know how the championships can disturb them - the rammadahn is in autumn, and IIHF champ is at spring...Maybe there is another religious dates in spring....
    Not sure about other religious holidays in the spring. But regarding Ramadan, remember that the Islamic calender is Lunar based, not Georgian (ie, Western European). Thus events do flucuate around the Western Calander. Ramadam might be in the autumn now, but that is not always the case.

Anyways, as KE mentioned, it does not stop them from participating in other sports.
    There is no such thing as a "Bad Hockey Market"
    There are, however, several markets with "Bad Hockey"

International Hockey Forums on Social Media:
    https://twitter.com/ihf_forums
    https://www.facebook.com/ihf.forums

Quote Originally Posted by Québecois
    I found 2004 roster and team was coached by a Yuri Faikov...maybe another belarussian??
    Exactly. He is good friend of Kudin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz
    Not sure about other religious holidays in the spring. But regarding Ramadan, remember that the Islamic calender is Lunar based, not Georgian (ie, Western European). Thus events do flucuate around the Western Calander. Ramadam might be in the autumn now, but that is not always the case.

Anyways, as KE mentioned, it does not stop them from participating in other sports.
    You are right. I asked my arabian friend about it, and he told me, that every year Ramadan starts 11 days before it was in previous year. So, in 2010 it starts in August - therefore it is understand why them want to move olympics dates.

And, yes, it's seems strange becouse of their another sports participations. I think that real reasons are another - but Kudin has told nothing more.

Ice hockey among the dunes

Andrei Kudin, Keramin Minsk goalie, speaks about ice hockey in UAE where he spent last year.

http://www.eurohockey.net/news/story...yamongthedunes

it could be to do with ramadan, ramadan just passed and algeria had a african nations qualifying match against guinee at like 11 at night.

I trained all through ramadan and i did feel a little weak at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Silva
    Andrei Kudin, Keramin Minsk goalie, speaks about ice hockey in UAE where he spent last year.

http://www.eurohockey.net/news/story...yamongthedunes
    Yes, if you pay attention, this article is fully based on the post #20 form here, just adapted to be more "journalistic".

They play hockey in the UAE?? Is there even ice over there?! LOL :005:

Oh well, the more hockey the better! :003:
    The Finns WILL beat the Swedes in the 2010 Olympics! Mutta odota ensi keralle! (But wait till next time!)

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Chief
    They play hockey in the UAE?? Is there even ice over there?! LOL :005:

Oh well, the more hockey the better! :003:
    Yes, yes, no. The more quality hockey, the better. Especially since they're fairly good, as their results have shown. In fairness, even bad hockey is good because you have to start somewhere.

UAE's got the federation, let's go boys!
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

IHF Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by tenaj
    Does anyone have contact people/teams/organization/etc to obtain information on coaching minor hockey in this area. Also info on Senior Mens hockey tournaments. Thanks
    I’ve read both the interview of Kudin and Aldair1808`s reply in this forum, both a bit out of reality.
    The ice Hockey in UAE is not started with the visit of Belarus president Lukashenko nor with the arrival of Belarusian players, it’s actually started in 1979 a year after the official opening of the first ice rink arena in Dubai .UAE,
    A group of young local students just finished their Uni studies in United States where they learn to play ice hockey joined to gather to build up a team so to play with Expatriates mainly from North America.
    Later another group (locals) started in late 80`s in Al Ain city where another Olympic size ice hockey Arena been built.
    But the result of the Official Organization ( UAE ICE HOCKEY ASSOCIATION) which officially announced in 1998 , Where actively promote the sport of ice hockey within the UAE and encourage local youngest to participate by providing opportunities through recruitment, training, competitive sporting programs, role models and international exposure as members of the UAE National Team.
    Since 1999 the National Team participates in Asian Amateurs Ice Hockey Tournament.
    UAE Ice Hockey Association is a member of IIHF since 2000.
    The reason not participate the World Cup organized by IIHF, waiting to get a good and solid path before international exposure.
    Its is easy to get players from ex –Soviet countries and give them nationality to represent the country ,(one of Middle East country did) but we will not do that, we have our planning for the up coming five years.
    In 2007 UAE National Team will play for its first time in the 6th Asian Winter Game and soon you will see them in IIHF Tournaments.
    There are 3 ice hockey local clubs in UAE with 6 men teams and 4 youth teams beside 2 ladies team.
    More than 600 Expatriates ice hockey players in UAE (Men, Youth and children) in more than 12 clubs.
    In UAE there are 3 ice rinks, 2 of them Olympic size where their capacities more than 5 thousands each. Dubai’s based arena is NHL size and can accommodate around 1000 person.
    So please pay more attention to what info you post, religion is not and won’t be an obstacle for sports, nor does Ramadan month!
    Lastly to Mr. Aldair1808, most of the players are well educated and many of them hold higher education even some of them are DOCTORS, am not sure from where you got your information or is it invented by you! and mind you the players are considered amateurs and not provisional and they play in their spare time.
    Hope its clear info for all.

Thank you sam2892 for the brief history of UAE hockey. Very interesting info :023:

Quote Originally Posted by sam2892
    In 2007 UAE National Team will play for its first time in the 6th Asian Winter Game and soon you will see them in IIHF Tournaments.
    There are 3 ice hockey local clubs in UAE with 6 men teams and 4 youth teams beside 2 ladies team.
    More than 600 Expatriates ice hockey players in UAE (Men, Youth and children) in more than 12 clubs.
    UAE is probably more one of the more liberal arab countries but it was still a surprise to me that there were also women playing hockey there. Maybe the fact that hockey gear covers up the body pretty well has something to do with this. Anyway, has there been any controversy about women playing hockey in UAE, sam?

In UAE there are 3 ice rinks, 2 of them Olympic size where their capacities more than 5 thousands each. Dubai’s based arena is NHL size and can accommodate around 1000 person.
    Wow, these two arenas must be the best arenas in the world meant for amateur hockey! Where are they located? Also is it possible to find pictures of them online (also of the third, smaller arena)?

And lastly but not least: Welcome to IHF! :003:
    "Lord Baelish, what you suggest is treason."
    "Only if we lose."

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

IHF Prospect
    The girls started just 2 years ago,(the problems is that its a lack or misinformation spread in western countries especially about the middle east), The arena built not only for ice hockey but for other ice activities figure skates, and commercial uses extra.....
    The two Olympic size ice rinks ,one located in the sport city in Abu Dhabi the other one is in Al Ain City in the recreational city,, I’ve been in Europe and Canada , and I can absolutely say that those two Olympic size arenas are one of the best I ever seen.
    The third one and the oldest built in 1978, in Dubai where a bit smaller.
    Thanks

I’ve read both the interview of Kudin and Aldair1808`s reply in this forum, both a bit out of reality.
    The ice Hockey in UAE is not started with the visit of Belarus president Lukashenko nor with the arrival of Belarusian players, it’s actually started in 1979 a year after the official opening of the first ice rink arena in Dubai .
    Hi! I didn't telt that it started from his visit, I Told that ti gave some kind of a push to future and faster development. And it's not my words - just a translation of Kudin's words. I can send you an origin in russian, if you want so.

So please pay more attention to what info you post, religion is not and won’t be an obstacle for sports, nor does Ramadan month!
    Lastly to Mr. Aldair1808, most of the players are well educated and many of them hold higher education even some of them are DOCTORS, am not sure from where you got your information or is it invented by you! and mind you the players are considered amateurs and not provisional and they play in their spare time.
    Hope its clear info for all.
    Again, it all comes from Kudin's words. I have nothing to comment as I've just traslated him. He tells that that it actually affects sport sometimes, for example that the teams were training in night time during Rammadan.

IHF Prospect
    As I’ve read the English version which is fairly acceptable and near the truth ( not all ), all though the main reason for the players late evening or night training is that most of them working at day time, and afternoon the ice rinks mostly occupied by young children training .
    “caught" most of foreigners players are from Belarus the reason is not , their president visit, but most of the clubs are not provisional so they have little income "money wise" and the Belarus players are more affordable than others.
    I would love to see the original version.
    Thanks

salam sam, are you arabic?
    are you invovled with the UAE ice hockey association or are you just a fan?

IHF Prospect
    Hi,,,Both

I would love to see the original version.
    Thanks
    Hi! Here is it:

http://www.pressball.by/news.php?t=0...end=2006-10-20

Hi,,,Both

have you got a contact email for UAE ice hockey association plz?

IHF Prospect
    Thanks

IHF Prospect
    Yes here it is :
    info@uaeihf.org

Its is easy to get players from ex –Soviet countries and give them nationality to represent the country ,(one of Middle East country did) but we will not do that, we have our planning for the up coming five years.
    Just to clear up this point (it is the only one in your entire post that I found any issue with)... for the other nation in question, I believe (and I'm sure Aldair can confirm/deny this) that the players for that national team migrated there of their own will, got their citizenship legitimately, and only THEN joined the hockey program. Certainly the players were not given citizenships without actually filling all immigrant requirements? So in this case, how easy is it to gain UAE citizenship? And that would tell us whether that would really be a feasible route for the UAE team.
    Regardless, I prefer (as applaud) the fact that the UAE federation has decided to grow its own talent through its own means. It will make ice hockey more sustainable in the UAE over the long run, and should in the end make the team more competitive as well.

Lastly, a belated welcome to the board Sam! It's good to have you join in :)

IHF Prospect
    Hi, Steigs
    Certainly it is not that easy as many countries do for talented athletes, but the athlete needs to be living in the country for some years, and that happened in UAE for few football players..
    Thanks

Yes here it is :
    info@uaeihf.org

thanks for that, ive spoke to Abdul Razak Alhajah, and we will form a friendship between algerian ice hockey and UAEIHA.

Goodluck to UAE in the asian winter games.

IHF Prospect
    that will be nice.

that will be nice.
    Quick question - how did you find this forum?

Welcome aboard!

PS - here is the thread on the UAE Team's visit to Canada last fall, if you are interested: http://www.internationalhockeygang.o...ead.php?t=4130

Yes here it is :
    info@uaeihf.org
    and there is also a site!!!

http://www.uaeihf.org/

very good work!
    Maybe you can add our forum on your link page!

Impressive photo. From Alwahda hockey club opening page :scared001

IHF Prospect

Belarus

who from belarus playd in UAE too ? Maybe you know their names?

Quote Originally Posted by krok View Post
    who from belarus playd in UAE too ? Maybe you know their names?
    Besides these mentioned above I remember only Aleksei Gritsenko and Aleksandr Babak. But there were a few more I think.

And wellcome here!:)

IHF Prospect
    I see you know arabic hockey.

Quote Originally Posted by krok View Post
    I see you know arabic hockey.
    No, not so much....Just have read a couple of articles here and there...

I don't know if anyone has already seen this but here's a video I found of the UAE national team against some beer league team or something.

First 1/3 of the video is good and all hockey but after that it's all rants. (eek)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hwcAzPpl5A

By looking at the post date of the video, I'm guessing this is UAE's practice match for the Asian Winter games. And I remember reading somewhere that the UAE nationals won all 3 games against some beer leagues, is this true?

The clip reminded me of a time when I was coaching in Mexico and the ref called a 2 minute penalty to my player for "high sticking" the puck. It just goes to show that they are every where....ref's that suck!

Headcoach

UAE wins Asian Ice Hockey Championship?

I found a small acticle from October 29, 2007 saying UAE wins Asian Ice Hockey Championship
    Here is the article

Does anyone have any info on this?

The UAE, a debutant in the Asian championship, which is regarded the toughest after the Winter Olympics, has dedicated the new title to President ...
    Which Asian championship would this be? Definitely not the Asian Winter Games, right? *shaking head* nice bit of spin-doctoring there by the newsies.

IHF Member
    I believe the article refers to the Land of Smiles tournament that was played in Bangkok October 23-27.

There are a number of similar tournaments in Asia every year usually consisting of International or Open divisions (mostly expat teams from Hong Kong, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, etc.) and Asian divisions (teams consisting of local players from Asian countries). UAE are very active in participating in these and in most cases their team roster is very similar to their Asian Winter Games roster. In this tournament UAE might have played in the International division, but I'm not sure. They played in the Asian Division in Hong Kong tournament in June. While UAE and Kuwait may have played with their national teams, the European teams certainly did not... :-)

There is an article in Thai World Hockey League web pages (same article appears elsewhere as well) at www.leaguelineup.com/welcome.asp?url=twhl

Troy Crowder! (with his Muskies) The hockey world is getting more and more interesting and smaller by the year. Anyways, this was the "UAE" team, heh.
    The Fighting Muskies were eventually eliminated by a high-scoring United Arab Emirates team stacked with Belorussians, which eventually went on to win the competition.

The Fighting Muskies were eventually eliminated by a high-scoring United Arab Emirates team stacked with Belorussians, which eventually went on to win the competition.
    Interesting because the player names are all Arab, though they are listed with numbers in the Asian division and not the international division. Yura Faikov was the coach, so perhaps they were led by a Belarussian.
    Asian Open: http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_ho...teamid=1524886
    International Open: http://www.leaguelineup.com/teams_ho...teamid=1531120
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

[QUOTE=Calvin Hobbes;96839]I believe the article refers to the Land of Smiles tournament that was played in Bangkok October 23-27.

There are a number of similar tournaments in Asia every year usually consisting of International or Open divisions (mostly expat teams from Hong Kong, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, etc.) and Asian divisions (teams consisting of local players from Asian countries). UAE are very active in participating in these and in most cases their team roster is very similar to their Asian Winter Games roster. In this tournament UAE might have played in the International division, but I'm not sure. They played in the Asian Division in Hong Kong tournament in June. While UAE and Kuwait may have played with their national teams, the European teams certainly did not... :-)

Ok thanks for clearing things up.

yea they told me they were playing in a tournament in thailand.

Abu Dhabi Ice Rink refurbishment. New score board going up, new dasher and plexi, new dressing rooms and referee rooms. It will host the arab cup tournament before being opened to the public.
    There is also a new rink planned for UAE.

some pics i took;

Interesting photos - thanks. Love the irony of the photos where the two guys are standing on (what looks like the ice) wearing the dishdashah/thoub that are designed to keep one cool and reflect heat.

on the last pic it is the moroccan management and emirates management talking.

All this renovation seems like UAE have plans to host a WC next year...
    Waiting for Thailand to participate in world championships

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information