Thread: Why no German or Austian Clubs in the Continental Cup and Champions Cup??

Why no German or Austian Clubs in the Continental Cup and Champions Cup??

Hi all! if somebody know why the german and austrian clubs(and italian also i guess) didn't participate the ECC and CC this year?

Hi and welcome here!!

Yes, also italian club didn't partecipated in CC. HCJ Milano Vipers (best club in Italy and current champion) was invited by IIHF but they refuse because don't agree with current format.
    Milano think that a final round robin with 3 team of 4 already qualified and just one promoted from eliminatory is completely wrong and not sporty and not justify investment on good players (as in past years)

Really a pity for italian hockey but at least i'm personally agree with Milano quotes

Only the six best ranked European countries get their champions into the European Champions Cup. Germany got relegated from the A-pool last year and Switzerland passed them in the ranking.

Don't know about Continental Cup though...

And Welcome here!
    "Lord Baelish, what you suggest is treason."
    "Only if we lose."

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

..i forgot question about ECC: this competition is "closed" and reserved at first 6 nations in IIHF ranking, theoretically others national champions will partecipate in Cont. Cup

Yes, Continental Cup is open to virtually everyone country interested.

Welcome here. We have forums on Belorussian and Israeli Hockey here so hopefully you can help us populate those forums! :003:

IHF Staff
    The Austrian clubs are simply not interested in this competition. In Linz one of the stages of the tournament was organized 2 years in a row. Despite great effort (own website, advertising etc...) the response by the fans was very limited. Since then Austira has pulled back completely. It's a pity but the format is indeed quite unattractive and there is no atmosphere in this competition. I guess we wont see Austrian clubs participating also in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Québecois
    Milano think that a final round robin with 3 team of 4 already qualified and just one promoted from eliminatory is completely wrong and not sporty and not justify investment on good players (as in past years)

Really a pity for italian hockey but at least i'm personally agree with Milano quotes
    I would completely agree with their quotes, as well. Makes a complete mockery of the whole competition.

Graham.
    "It's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is."
    ---
    "Night Watch", Terry Pratchett

I agree to. It's just not really smart formula, and it's only to regret that we coudn't see the strongest clubs played together

to RexKramer:very bad to you and all austrian hockey. I remeber that you had a good, strong team Samina that won the cup once or twice in a row; and I think that you need tournaments like those to rise the overall level of Austrian hockey(with many traditions), expeciall after not so lucky appearances on the international area(like the last WC).

to all: thank you very much for your numerously "welcome". It's very pleasant for me, and it's look like the great athmosphere there is.

Thread Information