Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627
Results 1,301 to 1,332 of 1332

Thread: Danish Prospects

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marras View Post
    He looks to have some of the intangibles you need to fill such a role and since it’s a two-year deal, there should be plenty of time to make the transition from the college ranks to the AHL-Level or at least his first season won’t be a make or break type of year.

And for a lot of young Danish players this also shows, that you don't necessarily have be drafted in order to earn a contract with a NHL club.
    Yeah the Edmonton plan is probably to let him play the two years in AHL on the entry level contract and then take it from there. If Russell develops fast, then they can always bring him up for a test match or two in the NHL.
    From what I read on the links you provided his skating seems to be the area where he needs to improve to be more NHL ready.
    Markus Lauridsen also got an entry-level contract without being drafted, but didn't succeed in transitioning to NHL. Perhaps Russell will have better luck? With Edmonton's roster he seems to fit niche wise as they have been primarily skill players and need some bulky players, who can win battle along the boards exactly where Russell has his forte.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
    Yeah the Edmonton plan is probably to let him play the two years in AHL on the entry level contract and then take it from there. If Russell develops fast, then they can always bring him up for a test match or two in the NHL.
    From what I read on the links you provided his skating seems to be the area where he needs to improve to be more NHL ready.
    Markus Lauridsen also got an entry-level contract without being drafted, but didn't succeed in transitioning to NHL. Perhaps Russell will have better luck?
    With Edmonton's roster he seems to fit niche wise as they have been primarily skill players and need some bulky players, who can win battle along the boards exactly where Russell has his forte.
    Seems to be biggest knock on him, but much like a Oliver Lauridsen has done, it’s hopefully something he can work on and improve with time.

Compared to Markus Lauridsen, I also think Russell has the advantage of having turned pro after two years of NCAA hockey, whereas Lauridsen came straight from junior hockey (USHL) and it isn’t that long ago, Russell looked like one of the more promising forwards in our prospect pool e.g. in 3 out of 4 junior tournaments (U20/U18) for Denmark, he has posted very solid numbers.
    Last edited by Marras; 15-05-2016 at 23:01.

IHF Member
    Speaking of Markus Lauridsen he really seems to have improve a lot this year in Allsvenskan and he clearly has his best WC so far.

It makes you wonder whether to learn overall "tactical" defensive skills Allsvenskan could be superior to AHL, where the more physical aspect of defending on small rinks might be more in focus?

Speaking of Markus Lauridsen he really seems to have improved a lot this year in Allsvenskan and he clearly has his best WC so far.

It makes you wonder whether to learn overall "tactical" defensive skills Allsvenskan could be superior to AHL, where the more physical aspect of defending on small rinks might be more in focus?
    Yes, absolutely. There is no doubt in my mind that swedish hockey is far superior to the AHL in regards to learning how to play defensive hockey, and also regarding learning the tactical aspect of hockey in general. That said, it will not be the best career move for all to go to swedish hockey instead of playing (and learning) hockey in NA.

I am happy that Markus Lauridsen has managed to elevate his play considerably in Allsvenskan, and I look much forward to how he will do in SHL next season. Our national team cannot have too many defenders with his size and skills.

Seems to be biggest knock on him, but much like a Oliver Lauridsen has done, it’s hopefully something he can work on and improve with time.

Compared to Markus Lauridsen, I also think Russell has the advantage of having turned pro after two years of NCAA hockey, whereas Lauridsen came straight from junior hockey (USHL) and it isn’t that long ago, Russell looked like one of the more promising forwards in our prospect pool e.g. in 3 out of 4 junior tournaments (U20/U18) for Denmark, he has posted very solid numbers.
    To me Patrick Russell has always been the second most promising prospect from the 1993 class (behind Nicklas Jensen). He has great size, good instincts and is productive. It is always difficult to evaluate how well our players do in the lower leagues in NA, but he has certainly done something right to be given a contract with Edmonton. Now it is only to hope that he is given a fair opportunity to develop well.

The AHL is much, much better than you give it credit for. The majority of NHL players have played there at one time or another.

A year or two ago, Farjestad came to Toronto to play an AHL All Star team, and got smoked. They also played against the Toronto Marlies and lost that game as well.

It is not simply a crash and bang, dump and chase league. It's every bit as good as the top European leagues except for the KHL.

Nicklas Jensen looks fantastic at this tournament. It will be interesting to see if he can crack the NY Rangers roster for next season, especially with them being in a little bit of a rebuilding mode, and wanting to incorporate younger players into their roster (in NHL terms, that's 25 and younger).

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    The AHL is much, much better than you give it credit for. The majority of NHL players have played there at one time or another.

A year or two ago, Farjestad came to Toronto to play an AHL All Star team, and got smoked. They also played against the Toronto Marlies and lost that game as well.

It is not simply a crash and bang, dump and chase league. It's every bit as good as the top European leagues except for the KHL.
    I suppose this is a reply to my post above.

I have never questioned the overall quality of the AHL. I am not comparing it to the SHL/Allsvenskan. It is a very good league with some of the best prospects in the world. It is just my impression that there is more focus on the tactical aspect of the game in Sweden than in the AHL.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Valdemar View Post
    To me Patrick Russell has always been the second most promising prospect from the 1993 class (behind Nicklas Jensen). He has great size, good instincts and is productive. It is always difficult to evaluate how well our players do in the lower leagues in NA, but he has certainly done something right to be given a contract with Edmonton. Now it is only to hope that he is given a fair opportunity to develop well.
    Can hardly say NHL clubs hand out those ELC for free :)

Oilers’ GM interestly enough called Patrick Russell a late bloomer, but also worth mentioning that Russell pretty much missed the entire 2011-2012 season, something which perhaps has affected his development as a player.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    Nicklas Jensen looks fantastic at this tournament. It will be interesting to see if he can crack the NY Rangers roster for next season, especially with them being in a little bit of a rebuilding mode, and wanting to incorporate younger players into their roster (in NHL terms, that's 25 and younger).
    Hoping for it and judging from the way he currently plays, the trade from Vancouver to the Rangers, has given him the change of scenery he needed.

I hope he makes it.

IHF Member
    Hopefully in the AHL - being send to ECHL is totally a waste of time in my opinion.
    His stats in the Swedish youth clubs were very promising, so I kept an eye on him as well over the years.

IHF Member

NHL From drafted 143rd overall by Chicago

Rögle forward Mathias From has been picked by the Chicago Blackhawks in the 5th round of this year’s NHL entry draft.

IHF Member

NHL Krag drafted by St.Louis

Forward Nikolaj Krag Christensen has been picked 209th overall by the St. Louis Blues.

IHF Member

NHL Blichfeld drafted in the 7th round

Malmö forward Joachim Blichfeld has been drafted in the 7th round (210th overall) by the San Jose Sharks.

This sets a new draft-record for Danish hockey with three players being selected in a single draft.

IHF Member
    3 Danes drafted. Have to admit I never saw that coming. Only Mathias From was fairly certain in my mind.

Would be great if just one of these boys makes it all the way, either way good to finally see some Frederikshavn boys getting drafted. :-)
    Will be interesting to see where they go from here. From will stay with Rögle I guess but what about Blichfeld will he stay with the Malmö organisation? I think he has signed for next season as well at least. Krag is joining From in Rögle, although I suspect mainly in their U20 team.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHawks View Post
    Would be great if just one of these boys makes it all the way, either way good to finally see some Frederikshavn boys getting drafted. :-)
    Will be interesting to see where they go from here. From will stay with Rögle I guess but what about Blichfeld will he stay with the Malmö organisation? I think he has signed for next season as well at least. Krag is joining From in Rögle, although I suspect mainly in their U20 team.
    I guess we’ll know by Tuesday when the Import Draft has taken place.

Blichfeld was drafted by Halifax last year, but appears that they no longer hold his rights, so another CHL team could potentially select him.

Blichfeld was drafted by Halifax last year, but appears that they no longer hold his rights, so another CHL team could potentially select him.
    Really, where did you see this?

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHawks View Post
    Big congratulations to Frederikshavn for finally getting players on the drafting list
    So equal with Esbjerg now (they have Larsen and Starkov).

IHF Member
    Really, where did you see this?
    http://qmjhleast.proboards.com/threa...chim-blichfeld

See #2 post.

IHF Member

CHL 2016 CHL Import Draft

Esbjerg forward Christian Wejse has been drafted #78 overall by Blainville-Boisbriand (QMJHL).

Wejse is eligible for the 2017 NHL Entry Draft.

http://armadahockey.ca/article/axel-...oix-de-larmada

http://www.leveil.com/Armada/2016-06...-gros-Danois/1

Joachim Blichfeld was drafted #85 overall by Portland (WHL).

http://winterhawks.com/article/hawks...l-import-draft
    Last edited by Marras; 28-06-2016 at 23:14. Reason: Links added

IHF Member

icon115 Aagaard signs with Stockton

Center Mikkel Aagaard has reportedly signed a one-year deal with the Stockton Heat.

IHF Member

NHL NHL CS - Players to Watch - Preliminary list

Two Danish prospects made NHL Central Scouting's preliminary list for the 2017 NHL Entry Draft.

Namely forward Jonas Røndbjerg and Herning defenceman Oliver Gatz Nielsen.

https://www.nhl.com/info/nhl-central...layer-rankings

IHF Member
    Two Danish prospects made NHL Central Scouting's preliminary list for the 2017 NHL Entry Draft.

Namely forward Jonas Røndbjerg and Herning defenceman Oliver Gatz Nielsen.

https://www.nhl.com/info/nhl-central...layer-rankings
    So it looks like Jonas Røndbjerg (B-rated on the central scouting) is the only really somewhat secure lock for being drafted; but with the U20 doing so well, who knows if we get lucky to get some more 7th round drafted as Krag Christensen and Blichfeld last time.

IHF Member
    So it looks like Jonas Røndbjerg (B-rated on the central scouting) is the only really somewhat secure lock for being drafted; but with the U20 doing so well, who knows if we get lucky to get some more 7th round drafted as Krag Christensen and Blichfeld last time.
    There’s always the possibility and in addition to Røndbjerg, you got a number of first-year draft eligible on the roster: Gatz, Larsen, Madsen and Wejse (all four also played at last year’s WJC-18, hence the scouts will have had the opportunity to watch them play at the international level before), so for a start it will be interesting to see if any of them have done enough to make the NHL CS’s Midterm-ranking, since this usually is the first indication whether being drafted seems realistic or not.

IHF Member
    There’s always the possibility and in addition to Røndbjerg, you got a number of first-year draft eligible on the roster: Gatz, Larsen, Madsen and Wejse (all four also played at last year’s WJC-18, hence the scouts will have had the opportunity to watch them play at the international level before), so for a start it will be interesting to see if any of them have done enough to make the NHL CS’s Midterm-ranking, since this usually is the first indication whether being drafted seems realistic or not.
    So Marras how would you evaluate these four players you mentioned after from what you have seen at the U18 and U20?
    Also you have any thought on when (or how) Denmark finally will start to develop more elite defensemen?
    We produce an astonishing number of good forwards with our small talent pool and I have been really impressed with the crop of goalies these last 3 world juniors, but defensemen still trails behind....

IHF Member
    So Marras how would you evaluate these four players you mentioned after from what you have seen at the U18 and U20?
    Also you have any thought on when (or how) Denmark finally will start to develop more elite defensemen?
    We produce an astonishing number of good forwards with our small talent pool and I have been really impressed with the crop of goalies these last 3 world juniors, but defensemen still trails behind....
    Other than a few highlights I wasn’t able to see any of the U18 team’s games back in April, but since the WJC-20 is the more recent of two it arguably should count for more.

With Madsen only averaging slightly over 6 minutes of ice-time and being more of a role player I think it’s difficult to conclude that much.

Wejse fills a similar role, although with a bit more playing time and gets involved in the physical part of the game.

Outside of his blueline turnover in the game against Sweden, Larsen has been very solid.

Gatz with good reason only trails True when it comes to overall ice-time.

When it comes to developing more quality defenceman I think it’s something that will come with time.

In other team sports Denmark has been fairly balanced when it comes to developing players, so something similar should also apply to hockey and evidently the senior national team’s defensive core has improved compared to say 10 years ago. And thinking back to when our U20 team first played at the elite level back in 2008 and then again in 2012, the overall performance of our d-men at recent tournaments (2015-2017) has also been a step in the right direction.

The “standardizing” of player development and thus improving the fundamental traits (skating, passing, puck handling, conditioning etc.) needed to play the game should also help forwards and defencemens alike going forward.

It’s also (IMO) a numbers game since Denmark doesn’t have that many juniors to work. E.g. if it takes x number of forwards to develop a NHL/KHL player or a SHL’er it naturally will be more of a challenge to produce a solid defencemen not to mention a elite defenceman or goalie, since there’s relatively fewer of them on any hockey team.

Still having fewer players to work with also means that there’s an opportunity to invest in those you have and while I haven’t been able to find the link I’m pretty sure that DIU arranged a camp for a number junior defencemen (might also have been a camp for goalies) some years ago with instructors/former players.

Whether this was a one-time event or they continue to do it I cannot say, but might be something worth revisiting.

Obviously this cost money and in an already busy schedule finding room for such camps could be a problem.

IHF Member
    Other than a few highlights I wasn’t able to see any of the U18 team’s games back in April, but since the WJC-20 is the more recent of two it arguably should count for more.

With Madsen only averaging slightly over 6 minutes of ice-time and being more of a role player I think it’s difficult to conclude that much.

Wejse fills a similar role, although with a bit more playing time and gets involved in the physical part of the game.

Outside of his blueline turnover in the game against Sweden, Larsen has been very solid.

Gatz with good reason only trails True when it comes to overall ice-time.

When it comes to developing more quality defenceman I think it’s something that will come with time.

In other team sports Denmark has been fairly balanced when it comes to developing players, so something similar should also apply to hockey and evidently the senior national team’s defensive core has improved compared to say 10 years ago. And thinking back to when our U20 team first played at the elite level back in 2008 and then again in 2012, the overall performance of our d-men at recent tournaments (2015-2017) has also been a step in the right direction.

The “standardizing” of player development and thus improving the fundamental traits (skating, passing, puck handling, conditioning etc.) needed to play the game should also help forwards and defencemens alike going forward.

It’s also (IMO) a numbers game since Denmark doesn’t have that many juniors to work. E.g. if it takes x number of forwards to develop a NHL/KHL player or a SHL’er it naturally will be more of a challenge to produce a solid defencemen not to mention a elite defenceman or goalie, since there’s relatively fewer of them on any hockey team.

Still having fewer players to work with also means that there’s an opportunity to invest in those you have and while I haven’t been able to find the link I’m pretty sure that DIU arranged a camp for a number junior defencemen (might also have been a camp for goalies) some years ago with instructors/former players.

Whether this was a one-time event or they continue to do it I cannot say, but might be something worth revisiting.

Obviously this cost money and in an already busy schedule finding room for such camps could be a problem.
    With a small number of players I wonder when growing up in the clubs if the best players have a tendency to become forwards - since most people want to score goals - and also as the Danish stars they could have as favourite players are mostly forwards.
    Since we have made a huge step forwards with goalies, these specialized goalie camps (if they existed) seems to have paid off, so the idea of special camps for defensemen sounds also like a very good idea. The problem, though, is that you can't have funds for everything.

IHF Member

NHL NHL Draft 2017 – NHL Central Scouting Midterm Rankings released

NHL Central Scouting has released its Midterm rankings for the 2017 NHL draft.

2 Danish players have made the international list.

International Skaters
    PClassTeamRank
    Jonas RøndbjergF1999Växjö Jrs.14
    Oliver Gatz NielsenD1998Herning115

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospect...year=2017&pg=1

IHF Member
    Joachim Blichfeld article.
    Source: http://thehockeywriters.com/sharks-j...h-winterhawks/

IHF Member

NHL NHL Draft 2017 – NHL Central Scouting Final Rankings released

NHL Central Scouting has released its Final Rankings for the 2017 NHL draft.

2 Danish players have made the European list.

European Skaters
    PClassTeamFinal RankMidterm Rank
    Jonas RøndbjergF1999Växjö Jrs.1914
    Oliver Gatz NielsenD1998Herning99115

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospect...Rank&year=2017

IHF Member
    St. Louis Blues’ prospect Nikolaj Krag-Christensen has signed a two-year deal with HPK (Liiga). Krag-Christensen spent this season in Swedish Junior Hockey playing for Rögle.

Krag-Christensen is also the second Danish junior player to opt for Finland this off-season, as Rødovre’s Lucas Andersen has signed a two-year deal with Jokerit and will play for their junior team next season.

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627

Thread Information