Thread: Norwegian pro teams vs. US College teams

Norwegian pro teams vs. US College teams

It seems that in 1999 and 2000, they met several times.

Valerenga came to the US and defeated NCAA Division I University of Minnesota 7-5 or 7-6 in or about 1999, I think. They also beat NCAA Division III Augsburg College 6-1. I think they also played NCAA Division I University of Wisconsin, but I don't know the score of that game.

The NCAA Division I league that University of Minnesota and University of Wisconsin play in, the WCHA, sent a WCHA All-Star team to Norway in 2000.

The WCHA All-Stars defeated Lillehammer 5-0, defeated Frisk-Asker 7-1, and defeated Valerenga 10-2.

Interesting matchups.
    Last edited by Marc Brunengraber; 04-02-2006 at 05:28. Reason: correcting spelling errors

Valerenga had defeated U. Minnesota 7-5 in 1999, and also in 1999 defeated U.Wisconsin 6-3.

Good wins for Valerenga against some very strong teams.

U.S. colleges competing in NCAA Division I are much stronger than many people realize - stronger, in fact, than most European pro teams other than in the top seven leagues and maybe the Russian High League and Sweden's Allvenskan (sp?).

Minnesota and Wisconsin also took on Riga 2000 a few years back, for example, and both destroyed Riga 2000.

So, impressive by Valerenga.

By way of comparison, in 2003, University of Minnesota defeated Riga 2000 7-1, University of Minnesota-Duluth defeated Riga 2000 5-2, and University of Wisconsin defeated Riga 2000 3-2 while using none of their top offense, defense or goalie.

Again, makes Valerenga's performance that much more impressive.

IHF Member
    Did the Latvian and Norwegian teams ice their "A-list" players for these games? And how were these teams during in their own leagues during that season?

I know Princeton (I think it was Princeton) came over to the U.K. in the last 1990s or early 2000s and played some British pro teams.

Both pro teams iced their full strength rosters......you can do online searches that give recounts of the games with rosters......the NCAA teams, however, did NOT play with their full strength rosters, choosing to rest their stars.

IHF Member
    Interesting, as the Norwegian league - like the Danish league - is comparable to th ECHL.

It just goes to show how good NCAA Division I hockey really is.....and a lot of people don't realize it.

IHF Member
    I remember last year Norwegian Kim Brandwold who played for Mass Lowel said that he tought Vaalerenga,Storhamar and Stavanger would beat mot college teams but the rest would strugle.

Thanks for the post, Joakim, and welcome to the forum! :023:

Brandwold's statement helps confirm that the Norwegian pro league and NCAA Division I are roughly equal in strength.

Thread Information