View Poll Results: Who will win the World Cup

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Finland

11 42.31%
  • Canada

15 57.69%

Thread: So who will win the World Cup? (CHAMPIONSHIP GAME PREDICTIONS)

So who will win the World Cup? (CHAMPIONSHIP GAME PREDICTIONS)

Championship Final Predictions.

What is your predictions (including scores) for the Championship Final.
    • Air Canada Centre, Toronto,
      FINLAND @ CANADA
      7:00pm EDT = 4:00pm PDT = 1:00am CET

__________________________________________________ ____________

Good fight by the Finn goons last night, but personally I don't think they have a chance against the farm boys from Saskatoon.

It will goes like this:

...There were Swedes at the the blue line
    Finns at the red
    A Russian with a stick heading straight for his head
    Brains over brawn--that might work for you
    But what's a Canadian farm boy to do
    What else can a farm boy from Canada to do
    But what's a Canadian farm boy to do
    What else can a farm boy from Canada to do

Protection is what you're here for
    Protection--it's the stars that score
    Protection--kick somebody's ass
    Protection--don't put the biscuit in the basket just
    Hit some, Buddy! it rang in his ears
    Blood on the ice ran down through the years
    The king of the goons with a box for a throne
    A thousand stitches and broken bones
    He never lost a fight on his icy patrol
    But deep inside, Buddy only dreamed of a goal
    He just wanted one damn goal

In his final season, on his final night
    Buddy and a Finn goon were pegged for a fight
    Thirty seconds left, the puck took a roll
    And suddenly Buddy had a shot on goal...

The goalie committed, Buddy picked his spot
    Twenty years of waiting went into that shot
    The fans jumped up, the Finn jumped too
    And coldcocked Buddy on his follow through
    The big man crumbled but he felt all right
    'Cause the last thing he saw
    was the flashing red light
    He saw that heavenly light :drinker-g

From Warren Zevon: Hit Somebody
    Last edited by Jazz; 12-09-2004 at 13:28. Reason: Added the poll, figured why start a new thread...

Yes, Finns may have to let it go... but they will not let it go easily! But don't get me wrong... I just said may.

Canada may be hungry, but the Finns are hungry too. And I think Finns actually have the man who's the hungriest of them all. Lots of great achievements, but he still hasn't won anything big.

And of whom I'm talking about? Number 8.

There's no way to say who's going to win... remember, just when everybody thinks where to put their money on, Mr. Murphy joined by Miss Irony shows up and starts their tangled tango.

It's difficult to say this or that. Canada has the better chances, no doubt, but you better not underestimate Finland.

I'll return to this on Wednesday.
    UPGRADE NOW: Laho 2.0: An all-new interface, improved outlook, refitted AI, better stick handling and a whole new load of lousy jokes. 100% HPK compatible.

IHF Member
    Canada or Finland? I didnt know the both finalists are known already...But ok, I am glad to see this. We like the situation like this.
    I survived lake Bodom!

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Laho

There's no way to say who's going to win... remember, just when everybody thinks where to put their money on, Mr. Murphy joined by Miss Irony shows up and starts their tangled tango.

It's difficult to say this or that. Canada has the better chances, no doubt, but you better not underestimate Finland.
    If there is no way to say who's going to win, why do you make the automatic assumption that your team is going to meet Canada in the final? You seem to contradict yourself, or are you a Scandinavian Walt Whitman?

Or, has the other semi-final already been played? Jesus Christ, have I missed it? :101:
    Last edited by Kocour; 11-09-2004 at 19:40.

He's just trying to jinx the Canadians because he wants to face the Czech Republic in the final. :002:
    "Maybe it wasn't talent the Lord gave me, maybe it was the passion..." - Wayne Gretzky

IHF Member
    All right then, he is making an automatic assumption to make fate prove him worng, fair enough :023:

Quote Originally Posted by Kocour
    All right then, he is making an automatic assumption to make fate prove him worng, fair enough :023:
    Heh, now we're getting into the superstitious mind games.

You know it's going to be a close one when you start getting paranoid about things that have absolutely no effect on the actual game :045:

I'm never superstitious except when it comes to hockey...
    "Maybe it wasn't talent the Lord gave me, maybe it was the passion..." - Wayne Gretzky

IHF Member
    It was a joke really...

Quote Originally Posted by Kocour
    It was a joke really...
    Heh, I always find myself hoping I don't jinx the team.

I.e., don't talk about a goalie getting a shutout before he actually gets the shutout.

Rationally I realize that it can't affect the game. And yet... :seeingsta

Quote Originally Posted by NyQuil
    Heh, I always find myself hoping I don't jinx the team.

I.e., don't talk about a goalie getting a shutout before he actually gets the shutout.

Rationally I realize that it can't affect the game. And yet... :seeingsta
    :023: Me too, NyQuil!

And I really truly hate this JP Jalo who's Finnish commentator during this WCH - for example yestoday he starts to talk how Finland will take the biggest victory in their hockey history 4 minutes before the game's over ... :076:

edit: And I think that the final will end with 3-2, Finland winning their first World Cup! :drinker-g
    Last edited by EveB; 14-09-2004 at 12:33. Reason: prediction added

(\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Guys, one note... I wasn't the one making assumptions. I don't know how you could have ignored this, but see the very first post in this thread to which my post was nothing but a humble reply. Well?
    UPGRADE NOW: Laho 2.0: An all-new interface, improved outlook, refitted AI, better stick handling and a whole new load of lousy jokes. 100% HPK compatible.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EveB
    :023: Me too, NyQuil!

And I really truly hate this JP Jalo who's Finnish commentator during this WCH - for example yestoday he starts to talk how Finland will take the biggest victory in their hockey history 4 minutes before the game's over ... :076:
    Eve, I bet that that finnish commentator is not as bad as the ours, here on TV NOVA. The commentator knows nothing about it. The funiest was after the winning quarterfinal against Sweden he said:,,Good bye from Helsinki,,....I didnt know the game took place in Finland. Or Mats Naeslund - do you know this player?
    After the quarterfinal win another quote:,,And the Czech Republic has qualified for the world cup - wanted to say we advanced to the semifinal ...What competition we played in the group?

Golden ČT (czech state tv - they have really great commentators, aknowledged professionals and amusing)
    I survived lake Bodom!

Well, you should hear the Danish commentator. He is really terrible. What makes him particularly bad is that he constantly disagree with the co-commentator who is a hockey expert and former hockey player.

In one of the games, Finland vs Sweden (I believe) he was substituted by another hockey expert, so we had two hockey experts commentators commenting the game. WHAT a difference. For instance, they told us that powerbreaks (commercials) are not allowed when penalties are called for.

In general, Viasat Denmark does not obey with this rule, but they did it in that game. In other games where the the terrible commentator has been there, they have shown commercials so many times in breaks that were not powerbreaks that I have lost track. Obviously, a number of goals have been scored during these 'commercial breaks' but the commentator has never made any excuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Dancan
    In general, Viasat Denmark does not obey with this rule, but they did it in that game. In other games where the the terrible commentator has been there, they have shown commercials so many times in breaks that were not powerbreaks that I have lost track. Obviously, a number of goals have been scored during these 'commercial breaks' but the commentator has never made any excuses.
    I loved watching major football tournaments where the coverage of the match continues in a small window in the corner while the commercial is on. (or vice versa, commercial in the small window)

While it's not really feasible in hockey (the puck is too small), it'd be nice to have uninterrupted coverage.

One interesting question is whether top stars on hockey teams play more minutes per game than before because the TV time-outs allow players to rest for a few minutes. In the 80's and 90's, there were no time-outs given expressely for TV purposes.

Concurrently, you rarely see a coach use a timeout in a game unless there are very few minutes/seconds left in the game.

Canada over Finland 3-2

finland..its going to come down to who wants it more.
    Finns play a version of north american style..most of the roster is nhl players..they are relentless and wear down the other team...and right now they are riding the pride of having come so far.

final
    Finland 3 Canada 2
    It seemed like a good idea at the time officer

I had this narrowed down to either Finland or Canada.
    Now that I see the poll above slightly favours the Finns, well, that is enough to jinx them.:002:
    Canada will be less nervous than they were against the Czechs.
    2-1 for Canada...
    oh please, I hope so anyway!
    Marc McW
    One day I hope to have a signature worth reading .
    Marc M

Oh please... no predictions about this game, please.

Why? Because any of these (this included) aren't objective. Of course you're predicting that the team you root for will win.

My prediction? Canada takes it. But Finns stand a fair chance. There's no way to say the winner yet... even predict it.

That's it. I'll return to this on Wednesday. Hope you do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M
    I had this narrowed down to either Finland or Canada.
    Now that I see the poll above slightly favours the Finns, well, that is enough to jinx them.:002:
    Canada will be less nervous than they were against the Czechs.
    2-1 for Canada...
    oh please, I hope so anyway!
    Marc McW
    It did not take long for the pendulum to swing to Canada's side, Marc. I trust it will be a nail biter no matter what team you are cheering for.

:drink2:

Why? Because any of these (this included) aren't objective. Of course you're predicting that the team you root for will win.
    And why should a prediction be objective?? If I predict the team I root for to win maybe it's because of that I really believe in them? :023:

Fin-Can 3-2 :claphands
    Last edited by EveB; 14-09-2004 at 12:05.

(\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

I've gone for Canada, but seriously regretting not having put a bet on Finland at 10/1 before the tournament. I almost did it, but bottled it before posting the bet... :shakehead

Graham.
    "It's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is."
    ---
    "Night Watch", Terry Pratchett

My prediction? Canada takes it. But Finns stand a fair chance. There's no way to say the winner yet... even predict it.

That's it. I'll return to this on Wednesday. Hope you do the same.

Sorry Laho but you are wrong, you didn't say the whole reason.

why? because every single prediction, particularly when it is in writing has an effect on the result of the final. the problem is only that you don't remember this procedure.

let's make an example. all the finns at home think that they can win the game, they think it and they tell that to each other write it in the newspapers etc. afterwards their bahaving like they have already won the game. means when they are looking the game on tv they do not have a doubt that they lose this game.

a numan beeing is existing in three different areas. in a mental sphere, in a quantum sphere as well as in materialistic shpere. this is already proven by the quantum physics.

1. mental sphere is thinking
    2. quantum sphere is saying or writing
    3. materialistic sphere is behaving/doing/act

if these three sphere act together they will produce a materialistic result. because first is always the thought.

so, when you now think, say and/or act it will have an effect depends on how and what you think, say and/or act. you are influenting your life and invironment all the time, but probably you do not recognize it :drinker-g :)

in a practical way: edison had an idea of light, he wrote down a plan or told it to somebody else and finally he acted or did in a way that the result was a bulb. maybe there were a couple of people thinking of the same at the same time, talking about the same things and doing the same work together. and you probably agree that the more people are involved in this process in the SAME way of thinking, talking,acting the result will be finished faster.

ok now you can adapt this to hockey. because it works exatcly the same way with everything in life on personal, global or univeral area.

important also to know is: that fear attract the result you are afraid of.

last example: if finns lead the game against sweden, everybody starts thinking: oh nou, please not again in the last minutes. they even talk about that to each other or write in forums. and finally they are really anxious sitting in front of the telly. can you imagine what happens? :005: :drinker-g :stupid: :crazylaug :crying: :101:

there is the problem that you do not know how the home crowd think, talk or act during the game. also the players, which has in my opinion not the same effect as 3million finns or 10 million canucks.

so, it does make sense to predict and to especially to believe - better would be to know(and you can know that!) - the result of the game and if the finns stays, WHATEVER happens during the game, on their opinion, we would win the world cup.

everybody would call it a wonder, I would call it a logical reaction on a decision made by a big number of people.

you can also imagine how kipper will play tonight!! :claphands or he doesn^t :018:

the only thing which is absolut is that everything is changing all the time :bowdown:

MIchael
    Last edited by mikko; 14-09-2004 at 13:01.

Quote Originally Posted by mikko
    a numan beeing is existing in three different areas. in a mental sphere, in a quantum sphere as well as in materialistic shpere. this is already proven by the quantum physics.
    Hehe, going even further into modern (theoretic) physics, I tell you Finland will win this tournament :023:

At least in some universum and some of it's multiple realities - hope it'll be ours :003:

(\_/)
    (O.o)

Just to repeat something I said in my draft post. I doubt that this will be a high scoring game. With Brodeur likely to be back, I don't think neither he nor Kipper are in the sort of form that will see either of them concede more than 3 goals.

Personally I've gone for Canada 2 Finland 1, but think it could go either way.

Graham.
    "It's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is."
    ---
    "Night Watch", Terry Pratchett

Finland wins 3-2.
    PERKELE! :devileek:

I refuse to predict anything! :ignore: A sudden strike of superstition makes me fear that I might bring Leijonat bad luck no matter which way I voted... :devileek:

Thread Information