Thread: Age limits in international ice hockey

Age limits in international ice hockey

is there an age limit for international ice hockey, for instance does a player have to be over a certain age to play on the senior national team?

Quote Originally Posted by Algerian_hockey_playa
    is there an age limit for international ice hockey, for instance does a player have to be over a certain age to play on the senior national team?
    No age discrimination in hockey. As Phil Esposito onetime GM of the Rangers said when signing Guy Lafleur at 37 and four years of retirement, "I take a guy who can play, and I don't care if he's ninety."

In baseball I heard that Satchel Paige pitched three scoreless innings of an exhibition against the Oakland A's at age 59. What a vintage! :drinker-g :drink2: :023:

Quote Originally Posted by hockeynomad
    No age discrimination in hockey. As Phil Esposito onetime GM of the Rangers said when signing Guy Lafleur at 37 and four years of retirement, "I take a guy who can play, and I don't care if he's ninety."

In baseball I heard that Satchel Paige pitched three scoreless innings of an exhibition against the Oakland A's at age 59. What a vintage! :drinker-g :drink2: :023:

but could say a 14 or 15 year old play for a senior national team? or does he have to be over 16?

Quote Originally Posted by Algerian_hockey_playa
    but could say a 14 or 15 year old play for a senior national team? or does he have to be over 16?
    If the national federation thinks he is good enough to compete at the level, he can be selected to play.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

There have been many occasions where a 14 or 15 year old has played for their senior team. This becomes more and more common the further down the divisions you go.

Graham.
    "It's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is."
    ---
    "Night Watch", Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by Graham
    There have been many occasions where a 14 or 15 year old has played for their senior team. This becomes more and more common the further down the divisions you go.
    And isn't actually that odd a sight in women's hockey even on international stage.
    UPGRADE NOW: Laho 2.0: An all-new interface, improved outlook, refitted AI, better stick handling and a whole new load of lousy jokes. 100% HPK compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham

Graham.
    This is true. Where there aren't the players available the younger ones step in to fill the gaps. My son was interviewed last year in Romania because he was the youngest rink player in his team(I thought there were younger players in the tournament.....he was 16) which he thought was cool! They have to be careful when they are so young and it can be a worry if they take big hits.....but you can't deny them the experience. I suppose height would be the thing that limits a young player. :)

IHF Member
    The age limit is now 16 as from 2007 worlds champs (this applies for womens - I am assuming it is the same for mens). We had two players ineligable once we arrived who were 14 at Div 4 Womens 2007 in Romania - as did Croatia also.

Interesting. Some sort of age limit makes sense for the physical aspect. Big men can more easily injure smaller youth players. Right? Haven't heard of it happening in IHWC but there probably hasn't been that many cases and they happen in lower divisions where the hits are less severe?

"less severe" is not a phrase you use after seeing the South African team in action (nor Josh Hay of the Ice Blacks, but THAT's another story).
    I think in men's hockey, the minimum age to participate at the senior level is 18 years of age, at the U20 is 16 and at the U18 is 14.

Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    I think in men's hockey, the minimum age to participate at the ... U18 is 14.
    As Lloyd Schuster fell foul of for South Africa last year, if I'm remembering correctly.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

IIHF Official age rules

Hi folks,

The Statutes and Bylaws of the IIHF contain the following:

618. Players Control by the Directorate

1. The players participating in the respective IIHF World Championship events must conform to the age restrictions as stipulated in the respective Bylaw below, governing the various gender and age categories.

2. Younger players within the defined age limits participating in the Senior Men and Women Championships may be permitted only on presentation of a waiver signed by two medical doctors, by the member national association and the player’s parents or legal guardian, confirming that the player has the physical ability to play ice hockey in the respective age category. Nevertheless, the IIHF reserves the right to refuse entry of an under-aged player.

700 IIHF CHAMPIONSHIPS SENIOR MEN
    The players participating in any IIHF World Championship in the senior men category must be at least 18 years of age on the day the respective championship starts.
    Participating players who are younger than 18 years of age are required a under age waiver as stipulated in Bylaw 618, 2.
    Players must have had their 16th birthday at the latest on the day the respective championship starts.

800 IIHF CHAMPIONSHIPS WOMEN
    The players participating in any IIHF World Women Championship in the senior category must be at least 18 years of age on the day the respective championship starts.
    Participating players who are younger than 18 years of age are required a under age waiver as stipulated in Bylaw 618, 2.
    Players must have had their 16th birthday at the latest on the day the respective championship starts.

805. IIHF World Women U18 Championships
    Players participating in all IIHF World Women U18 Championships must be not over 18 years of age and must have had their 15th birthday at the latest on the day the respective championship starts. No under age waiver is permitted.
    · 2008/2009 players born in 1991
    · 2009/2010 players born in 1992
    · 2010/2011 players born in 1993
    · 2011/2012 players born in 1994

900 IIHF CHAMPIONSHIPS JUNIOR MEN

901. Junior Age for IIHF World U20 Championships
    Players participating in all IIHF World U20 Championships must be not over 20 years of age and must have had their 15th birthday at the latest on the day the respective championship starts. No under age waiver is permitted
    · 2008/2009 players born in 1989
    · 2009/2010 players born in 1990
    · 2010/2011 players born in 1991
    · 2011/2012 players born in 1992

904. Junior Age for World U18 Championships
    Players participating in all IIHF World U18 Championships must be not over 18 years of age and must have had their 15th birthday at the latest on the day the respective championship starts. No under age waiver is permitted.

Source: http://www.iihf.com/fileadmin/user_u...and_Bylaws.pdf

Slightly confused by the somewhat ambiguous wording ... does this mean you can be 18 and yet play in an U18 competition can't find it on IIHF.com
    Thanks

Yeah you can be 18, just as long as you're born earliest in the year stated. So if you're born on Jan. 1st 1993, you will be 18 of the time of the 10/11 season of the U18 WC but will still be eligible to play.
    While with the minimum age requirement, you have to have had your 15th birthday on the day the tournament starts.

Bottom line, as long as you're within the age-range on the day that the tournament starts, you are eligible.
    So if, as an example, the U20 world chamionship starts on December 26th, 2011, and ends January 6th, 2012. You are born on December 28th, 1992. You are 19 years of age on the day the tournament starts, but turn 20 during the tournament. You are still eligible throughout the entire tournament, because on the start date, you are still Under 20 Years Of Age.

If, however, you are born on December 28th, 1997, you are 14 years of age on the day the tournament starts, so even though you turn 15 during the tournament, you are not eligible.

The start-date is the date of importance.

Bottom line, as long as you're within the age-range on the day that the tournament starts, you are eligible.
    So if, as an example, the U20 world chamionship starts on December 26th, 2011, and ends January 6th, 2012. You are born on December 28th, 1992. You are 19 years of age on the day the tournament starts, but turn 20 during the tournament. You are still eligible throughout the entire tournament, because on the start date, you are still Under 20 Years Of Age.

If, however, you are born on December 28th, 1997, you are 14 years of age on the day the tournament starts, so even though you turn 15 during the tournament, you are not eligible.

The start-date is the date of importance.
    In the example above say you were born November28th '91 and the tournament starts December 26 2011 therefore you are already 20 a month before the tournament begins can you play? In other words is it 20 and under or strictly not yet 20?
    Sorry the wording above was still not specific enough or else I am just a slow pedant.

Look again Mick, I said "December" every time, the word "November" does not appear in my post.

The cut-off date for being within the age group (past your 15th birthday, but not yet at your 20th) is the first day of the tournament.

Look again Mick, I said "December" every time, the word "November" does not appear in my post.

The cut-off date for being within the age group (past your 15th birthday, but not yet at your 20th) is the first day of the tournament.
    I can see that, but it did not answer my question Marc, so I posed the question I needed answering, using your dates.
    I specifically want to know if someone who is 20+ can play under 20 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    I can see that, but it did not answer my question Marc, so I posed the question I needed answering, using your dates.
    I specifically want to know if someone who is 20+ can play under 20 ?
    Quite simply: no.

Again: you have to be within the age bracket (15-19) on the day of the start of the tournament, to be eligible to play.

Quite simply: no.

Again: you have to be within the age bracket (15-19) on the day of the start of the tournament, to be eligible to play.
    Please see "specifics" or have I still got it wrong ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Please see "specifics" or have I still got it wrong ?
    Sorry MIck, to expand on my earlier post:

According to the IIHF Statutes & Bylaws, Section 901:

Players participating in all IIHF World U20 Championships must be not over 20 years of age and must have had their 15th birthday at the latest on the day the respective championship starts. No under age waiver is permitted.
    The same applies to the U18 Championships (with the change that players must not be over 18 years of age instead of 20), as per IIHF Statutes & Bylaws, Section 904.

I hope this answers your question better.
    Last edited by Steigs; 11-03-2011 at 05:46.

Well like I said because U18 is after new year and U20 isn't that is the difference, as I'm guessing is what Mick is trying to get at.
    There CAN be players that are already 18 years at the time the U18 tournament starts because it's placed where it is on the season schedule, it is however not possible for players in the U20 tournament to already be over 20 due to that starting before new year.

Example of the earliest you can have birtday and participate in a specific U20 tournament, let's take the Div. 1 U20 that was held in Belarus this season from 13th of December to 19th of December 2010. A player that wanted to participate in this had to have been born the earliest 1st of January 1991. A player born lets say Dec. 31st 1990 were not allowed to paticipate even though he would not have been 20 till after the tournament had ended. In other words cut date for U20 WJC is ALWAYS 1st of January the year listed.

I'ts a bit different for U18 since they are always held after new year. Example of the oldest you can be for a specific tournament here, forexample the one in Ireland U18 is in that runs from the 13th of March to the 19th of March. A player born 1st of January 1993 would be the oldest player allowed to participate, and he would be 18 the day of the tournament. Liam McCollum from the Ireland squad is an example of this, born 10th of January 1993, so he is 18 at the moment but is still able to play in the U18s starting on the 19th of March.
    Rodrigo Cepeda of Mexico
    John Brand of South Africa
    Jonathan Stewardson of Ireland
    Ruben Cuevas of Mexico
    Are all also 18 already but will participate in the coming U18 championships for their nations. So the key is that the cut date is exactly the same as for the U20 WJC, BUT due to these tournaments being held after the cut date in the calendar, players can be 18 at the time and still be within the birthyear allowed.

Hope that answered your question...if not I'm lost

Quote Originally Posted by WHawks View Post
    Well like I said because U18 is after new year and U20 isn't that is the difference, as I'm guessing is what Mick is trying to get at.
    There CAN be players that are already 18 years at the time the U18 tournament starts because it's placed where it is on the season schedule, it is however not possible for players in the U20 tournament to already be over 20 due to that starting before new year.

Example of the earliest you can have birtday and participate in a specific U20 tournament, let's take the Div. 1 U20 that was held in Belarus this season from 13th of December to 19th of December 2010. A player that wanted to participate in this had to have been born the earliest 1st of January 1991. A player born lets say Dec. 31st 1990 were not allowed to paticipate even though he would not have been 20 till after the tournament had ended. In other words cut date for U20 WJC is ALWAYS 1st of January the year listed.
    I will quote again directly from the IIHF Statutes & Bylaws, Section 901:

Players participating in all IIHF World U20 Championships must be not over 20 years of age and must have had their 15th birthday at the latest on the day the respective championship starts. No under age waiver is permitted.
    So no, a player cannot already be 20 when an U20 tournament starts and still be eligible.
    Likewise, a player can NOT already be 18 when an U18 tournament starts and still be eligible.
    The player must be UNDER 20 (or UNDER 18) on the day of the beginning of the tournament, according to the IIHF Statutes & Bylaws.

Then you're disregarding this:

I do agree, that they contradict each other pretty badly which is probably why Mick is confused as well and we can't agree. Either way just looking at some facts:

The fact is that players that are already 18 have played in past U18 WJCs the past 10 years (or as long as IIHF has records on their site).
    Just for this season I've already mentioned 5 players that will be playing in the upcoming U18 WJC in Mexico that are already 18.
    From last season I could mention:
    Jason Zucker (born Jan. 16th 1992) from USA, also 18 at the time of the WJC-18 in Belarus.
    Actually theres 9 players on last year's American U18 team that was born before March 13th in 1992 making them 18 at the time of the tournament. I hardly think that's a mistake.

I'm sure theres several on the other nation's teams as well but figured these should be enough to make the point.

My guess is that it's done this way because they want to base it on birth year because that makes more sense since the different divisions of the U18 WJC are in different months depending on which division you're in.
    Because obviously it would not be fair that a Mexican player born on 20th of March 1993 could compete in WJC-18 this season in D3. While a Danish player born on the same date could not compete in WJC-18 D1 this season just because it's scheduled later in the calendar year than the D3 WJC-18. So ALL 1993 born can play in this year's U18 tournaments regardless of which date in 1993 their birthday is.

If I'm wrong there's a hell of a lot of mistakes going on the past 10 years regarding this.
    Last edited by WHawks; 11-03-2011 at 16:05.

Thread Information