4 13.79%
  • CAN - USA - Canada will win

24 82.76%
  • CAN - USA - USA will win

1 3.45%
  • CAN - USA - the game will end in a Tie

5 17.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Day 5 - Tueday May 9th - SLO vs LAT, NOR vs DEN, CZE vs FIN, CAN vs USA Thread

Day 5 - Tueday May 9th - SLO vs LAT, NOR vs DEN, CZE vs FIN, CAN vs USA Thread

Vote for each of the 4 results above.

• 16:15 Preliminary Group A Game 17 - SLO vs. LAT
    • 16:15 Preliminary Group D Game 18 - NOR vs. DEN
    • 20:15 Preliminary Group A Game 19 - CZE vs. FIN
    • 20:15 Preliminary Group D Game 20 - CAN vs. USA

Use this thread for the games of Day 3.

Post your predictions, comments, game reactions etc...

IHF Member
    I'm confident, that Slovenia can beat Latvia tomorow, if Kristan will maintain his form. Latvia seems to have quite a problem in attack and our defence has been on highest standart in first two games, despite allowing 10 goals. We have great first line, great PP and if we show PK from game against Finland, I believe we have a chance. I expect close game, though.

Denmark seems to me as stronger than Norway, but again it's THE game for both teams. I voted for a tie, since I expect another close game, important to both teams, and because I don't know much about either of them, i decided to go for a tie.

Finland also seems stronger than Czech republic, who struggled to score against Latvia and were outplayed against Slovenia for the most of the game.

Canada has more talent than USA and I think they have enough confidence and skill to go past USA without a loss.

In the opening two rounds we saw mainly favourites-outsiders games, so it will be differend round now, when "outsiders" and "favourites" plays together.

I think the biggest problem for slovenians is that they have only one good line. Latvia on countrary doesnt have one line that plays most time, but all 4 lines are goin on ice and have same ice time. With that kind of play, Latvia can maintain high tempo that can make SLO defence fail and pay for it. It will be a close game, as im sure once again SLO prepeared especialy for this game, and they will give everything. Im goin to arena myself tomorrow to cheer for my team and hope they wont dissapoint me.

IHF Prospect
    i'm pretty dissapointed that latvia or slovenia will have to go through relegation round cause i personally like both teams. BUT this is latvias home tournament so i will hope they go as far as they can, as for slovenia i think they will not relegate.

finland showed great game against latvia and will propably win czechs.

canada-usa will be a close close game.. even though team canada has much more talent and young great players, team USA also has them but less than canada.
    I personally liked how USA played with norway and denmark so i think it will be a draw with many goals.

norway will go to relegation.... :ignore: it will be a close game but danish troops will get it to qualifyin round

SLO 6:3 LAT :claphands :claphands :claphands :claphands :claphands :claphands

DEN 4:2 NOR :036: Go JAMO Go

CZE 3:3 FIN :smart:

CAN 4:3 USA:sleeping:

I'm sorry for great Latvian team and fans,but we need to dissapoint you - I count the pressure on your team will not came only from our players but also from LAT fans & Media - it has been proven many times as deadly combination for home team...
    JE !! SE !! NI !! CE

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Suomakia
    BUT this is latvias home tournament so i will hope they go as far as they can
    I'm glad you are not a refferee for tomorow :D ;)

SLO 3:4 LAT :scratchhe... I think this game might be a tight one if both teams play at their best, slovenia pulled a nice and impressive game against Finland. While Latvia tied against the Czech's, i would tip the scale in favor of Latvia because of the home ice and a wild GREAT! bunch of Latvian supporters :023:

DEN 2:2 NOR :blah: This is just a wild stab in the dark on my behalf :002:

CZE 3:5 FIN :ignore:

CAN 4:2 USA :devileek:

Slo-lat 5-2
    Nor-den 2-4
    Cze-fin 1-5
    Can-usa 4-2
    Aqua jacta est

IHF Member
    Slo-lat 3:3
    Nor-den 3:2
    Cze-fin 2:4
    Can-usa 3:1
    „HOCKEY IS WHERE WE LIVE

Life is just a place where we spend time between games”

Slo-Lat 1:5 :drinker-g

Nor-Den 1:3

Cze-Fin 3:3

Can-Usa 5:2

NOR-DEN 6-3 <--- :ooh:

Now it's time to head to the TV and watch FIN-CZH, they just dropped the puck. :claphands ... and WOW!.. mettinen just rammed a czech from behind right into the board, nasty and no penalty. This will be a tough game :seeingsta..whops.. 1-0 to the Czech's.

time to watch! :D

POOR game by Denmark. Simply not enough to beat Norway, they looked solid today.

IHF Member
    I am very surprised that Norway dominated so. Shots were 45-23 late in the game!! Congrats to Team Norge to avoid relegation. They are back in 2007!!

IHF Member
    Congratulation to the host :) It's was very frustrating game to watch from 25th minute on. We played good enough for the first period, led 1-0, then a blackout - four goals in 13 minutes and we couldn't recover.

So, the relegation group again... of course it's not a tragedy for us, we kind of expected it... but certanly after great games against Finland and Czech rep. we were hoping to win against the host... Anyway, I really hope there won't be any morale drop in the locker-room and that we will be able to stay in elite group.

Quote Originally Posted by kozorog
    Congratulation to the host :) It's was very frustrating game to watch from 25th minute on. We played good enough for the first period, led 1-0, then a blackout - four goals in 13 minutes and we couldn't recover.

So, the relegation group again... of course it's not a tragedy for us, we kind of expected it... but certanly after great games against Finland and Czech rep. we were hoping to win against the host... Anyway, I really hope there won't be any morale drop in the locker-room and that we will be able to stay in elite group.
    In the first period Latvian players were in a little knockdown after 0:5 against Finland and played bad with mistakes that realized in the loss of 1st goal. If Slovenia would score 2nd than the game would be another but in the second period our players scored and tied the game, confidence was growing and they couldn't stop because pressure that they scored only one goal in two games was over. In the 2nd and the 3rd period our team dominated and showed that one goal can't break them.
    Also what I can say- Kopitar didn't score or assist- our defensemen did good job and also slovenians didn't realised powerplays like they did in the previous game. Vorobev's defense was again ok after match against Finland. And goals in allmost empty net were brilliant. We actually didn't hope that result will be 5:1 and after the 1st period it seemed to be very hard game. Fortunately our president (woman) could smile more in the Arena Riga this evening wearing team's jersey and congratulating her husband and expresident. After the game many fans went to the monument of freedom and called Lat-vi-ja, Lat-vi-ja. Our president was also there and fans were cheering her too.

I'm very proud of the way this rag-tag USA team hung in there against a much better Canadian squad, and almost stole a tie. Phil Kessel gives USA Hockey much hope for the future.

Congrats to the hosts, and condolences to slovenia. unfortuneatly they didnt show that game on the tv here, but i saw the highlights. Good game by latvia!

I saw bits of the USA-CAN game, it had the tension and tightness as i suspected, USA played very well and they could very well have won too. And as usual i haven't counted them out as a medal contender, a couple of more games from all teams before i would wager any serious speculations on any team...

We just got Henrik Zetterberg and Mikael Samuelsson from Red wings to the swedish team, Jörgen Jönsson is still recoperating from a knee injury since the LG hockey games, had his first training session today and might play against the Swizz team tomorrow if all feels okay. And Michael Nylander is coming from New york rangers. So it will probably take the Swizz match and another for the players to get into the game before i would dare say anything about our teams prospects.

The CZE-FIN game was really heated and fun to watch, but someone should have handed back the glasses to the refferee :076:, both teams looked as if they were ready to jump him :003:

In this game i think the Fins playing style gave the Czech's their deadly ability to counter attack as we've seen so often before, The fins need to keep a simpler style and tighter against the Czhec's if they meet them again.

Not much to say about the Czech team style, they seemed to play the casual way. technical, fast accurate passes, good defense as usual. They played good enough against the finnish team to have kept their offensive going as they did in the 1st and beginning of the 3rd period. They switched back to their defensive style which i thought were a misstake, they should have played their usual style and gone for a decisive goal in my oppinion. They showed that they were able in the end of the game when it was too late.

That's my take on things so far; feel free to criticize or comment. :023:
    Last edited by Tyrfingr; 11-05-2006 at 00:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrfingr
    But they met something i expected, the game that Fins does best as we also saw in the olympics in the final, when they took out the keeper. And the result was the same, extreme pressure on the oppositions goal and they always seem to manage to keep the puck on the offensive with 6 players.
    Finland didn't pull the goalie.
    Aqua jacta est

OOPS...Sorry about that, corrected it :002:... I dont know what the hell i was on during the game :scratchhe , my bad.

Thread Information