2 7.69%
  • SWE - SUI - Sweden will win

19 73.08%
  • SWE - SUI - Switzerland will win

2 7.69%
  • SWE - SUI - the game will end in a Tie

5 19.23%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Day 6 - Wednesday May 10th - SVK vs RUS, ITA vs UKR, KAZ vs BLR, SWE vs SUI Thread

Day 6 - Wednesday May 10th - SVK vs RUS, ITA vs UKR, KAZ vs BLR, SWE vs SUI Thread

Vote for each of the 4 results above.

• 16:15 Preliminary Group C Game 21 - SVK vs. RUS
    • 16:15 Preliminary Group B Game 22 - ITA vs. UKR
    • 20:15 Preliminary Group C Game 23 - KAZ vs. BLR
    • 20:15 Preliminary Group B Game 24 - SWE vs. SUI

Use this thread for the games of Day 6.

Post your predictions, comments, game reactions etc...

SVK vs. RUS 2-4 Russia seems much more in to it and scores more efficiently.

ITA vs. UKR 3-1 Italy performed very well. Better than I expected, and I want them to win once at least.

KAZ vs. BLR 3-4 Belarus is on the go. They'll convert it into a win. I expect KAZ to put up a fight, however.

SWE vs. SUI 2-2 This is hope speaking. I don't like the SUI team to have SWE as an opponent. But the defence and Aebischer are solid, a tie should be possible.
    Last edited by twelve; 09-05-2006 at 14:45.
    Up The Irons!

-

"L'année de trop? Je l'ai faite quand j'avais 13 ans." = "If I played a year too much, it was the year when I was 13." -Gil Montandon, when asked if he wasn't a year too old to sign a contract as a hockey-pro at the age of 40. (That was in 2006. He went on playing professionally till the end of the 2008/09 season.)

Svk-rus 2-4
    Ita-ukr 2-2
    Kaz-blr 4-3
    Swe-sui 4-1
    Aqua jacta est

Svk-rus 2-5
    Ita-ukr 2-4
    Kaz-blr 2-5
    Swe-sui 4-1

Svk-Rus 3:5

Swe-Sui 2:3 :drinker-g :653:

Blr-Kaz 4:1

Ukr-Ita 3:2

Ita-ukr

On www.ihwc.net in the Preview: Italy-Ukraine they state that:

"[Italy:] Going up against Ukraine, they'll need to win by three goals in order to move on to the Qualifying Round."

Later on they say that "[Ukraine:] A win, a tie, or a loss by one or two goals is enough"

What are they talking about? Both Italy and Ukraine has started with two losses, a win for Italy would put Italy ahead of Ukraine regardless of the number of goals scored. Or am I missing something? :scratchhe

IHF Staff
    The article is nonsense, you're right. The first tie breaker is points, the second points from the game between tied team(s) and the third is goal difference...
    Anyway in this case the first can only fail with a tie which implies that the second fails as well, leaving just the third...
    The winner of this game will go up, the loser down and with a tie Ukraine will be up.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennison
    On www.ihwc.net in the Preview: Italy-Ukraine they state that:

"[Italy:] Going up against Ukraine, they'll need to win by three goals in order to move on to the Qualifying Round."

Later on they say that "[Ukraine:] A win, a tie, or a loss by one or two goals is enough"

What are they talking about? Both Italy and Ukraine has started with two losses, a win for Italy would put Italy ahead of Ukraine regardless of the number of goals scored. Or am I missing something? :scratchhe
    Sure that you are right; how is possible that the IIHF can write so stupid things ?

IHF Prospect

Swe v. swiss

any news of the score or why the apparent game delay?

it is 4 to 3 Swe, late in the third.

http://live82.ihwc.net/english/ click on live under the game listing on the right.

There was a chunk of ice that came of right next to the Swedish bench. They tried to fix it for a while and then ordered all the players to locker rooms. Then they fixed it some more. After that zamboni's were out and the players warmed up again. It all took about 30-40 minutes.

The score is now 4-3 Sweden with 5 minutes to go in the 3rd.
    "Lord Baelish, what you suggest is treason."
    "Only if we lose."

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

So Belarus swapped out Kazakhstan, exactly as Russia and Slovalia did it before.

That only shows that this year Belarus can reach not only the Qualificaion round.

So, Congrats to all Belarus fans(only me? :) :scratchhe :blah: :drinker-g ) and good luck for Kazakhstan in relegation!I really want this team will stay.

Well it ended 4-4 Swe-Sui, congrats to Sui for a good game. I was happy for the diehard fans sakes when i saw the 4-4 goal to be honest, they looked like this... :drinker-g :stupid: :yelclap: ... Well you got my drift :003:

... Also the first time in my 20 years watching International hockey that i've seen a huge chunk of ice breaking off and stopping the game for one hour... They said that if it had cracked again they would've stopped the game. And it happened twice so far, first in our game against the Ukraines and now Suiss. I hope it wont be a third, it might ruin a game :087:

Overall i thought our team had a great game going looked really hopefull for the rest of the tournament. But for some reason they relaxed when they were 2 goals ahead. Too many misstakes and sloppy play in our own zone gave away 2 goals quite easily... That's wrinkles that needs to be ironed out if we are to stand a chance for a medal.

And it doesnt look good for the Swedish team if this trend remains. We're up against Belarus on....Friday i think, they just mentioned on the TV here. And that will be interesting too watch, belarus will whip our asses yellow and blue if we play as we did against Sui, if we play focused it will be a tight one i think.... Belarus is the first team we will meet that has an offensive style, as opposed to the other 3 games we played so far against defensive teams. Suiss being the best at that game as we all seen in this tournament and olympics.

Just saw the highlights from the other games.. Belarus won not unexpectedly, they were praised by our swedish commentator as a very talented team, i havent seen any game of them this tournament so i couldnt add any comment on it myself.

Slovakia suprised me with their game against Russia, but the "Ruskies" have always had that edge and ability to end a game in the last minutes, i dont know how they do it time after time. But it's a dangerous advantage that all teams need to watch out for!

I had a feeling Ukraine would win, i based it on the fact that italy has had a streak of many penalties, and Ukraine has apparently been in training to tune their powerplay which they showed off against our team for one with 2 goals. I didnt get to watch that game either though. So no further comments there either.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrfingr
    .... Belarus is the first team we will meet that has an offensive style, as opposed to the other 3 games we played so far against defensive teams. Suiss being the best at that game as we all seen in this tournament and olympics.
    Hanlon will play a different system v Tre Kronor for sure.Shame Koltsov didnt bother to come & Sergei K was locked up in the playoffs.

Surely that last comment about Switzerland has a touch of irony ? :003: The words Swedish trap come to mind. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrfingr
    Well it ended 4-4 Swe-Sui, congrats to Sui for a good game. I was happy for the diehard fans sakes when i saw the 4-4 goal to be honest, they looked like this... :drinker-g :stupid: :yelclap: ... Well you got my drift :003:

... Also the first time in my 20 years watching International hockey that i've seen a huge chunk of ice breaking off and stopping the game for one hour... They said that if it had cracked again they would've stopped the game. And it happened twice so far, first in our game against the Ukraines and now Suiss. I hope it wont be a third, it might ruin a game :087:

Overall i thought our team had a great game going looked really hopefull for the rest of the tournament. But for some reason they relaxed when they were 2 goals ahead. Too many misstakes and sloppy play in our own zone gave away 2 goals quite easily... That's wrinkles that needs to be ironed out if we are to stand a chance for a medal.
    I agree.

It was a great game and a great comeback of the Swiss (in my view, as a Swiss fan :drink2: ) abd the match was fun to watch. Sweden did relax after the 4:2, but only a bit, and I don't think that Swiss teams of the past would have been able to react to the 4:2 as well as the current formation. The first two periods were very defensive - IMO from both teams - but the third was very offensive, from both teams, as each scored three times - and to score three times, you have go into the offence and create quite a few opportunities.

The one-hour-break was really a nuisance. It is bad for the game being played and can turn into a disadvantage for the teams who have to stay one hour more in readiness and so loose a lot of energy.
    Up The Irons!

-

"L'année de trop? Je l'ai faite quand j'avais 13 ans." = "If I played a year too much, it was the year when I was 13." -Gil Montandon, when asked if he wasn't a year too old to sign a contract as a hockey-pro at the age of 40. (That was in 2006. He went on playing professionally till the end of the 2008/09 season.)

BTW, by this victory Belarus has signed thier 200th game in the history! :)

Quote Originally Posted by takharov
    Shame Koltsov didnt bother to come
    He is injured.

Quote Originally Posted by takharov
    Hanlon will play a different system v Tre Kronor for sure.Shame Koltsov didnt bother to come & Sergei K was locked up in the playoffs.

Surely that last comment about Switzerland has a touch of irony ? :003: The words Swedish trap come to mind. ;)
    Hahaha! I guess i deserved that one ;).
    I never used to like it when we used that system in Sweden it wasen't any exciting hockey to watch but effective.... But truthfully though, i really think Suiss has a great defense, and they have the bext boxplay percentage of all teams if im not misstaken, and they know how to use it too. The good things as i see it, that comes out of the "Swedish trap" system as we've seen in our swedish hockey though, is that when the team develops enough skilled players to switch to an offensive hockey, they become deadly. Years of experience in defense mixed with a strong offense and you've got the ingridients for an unbeatable team. And Suiss has been on the move in that direction for some time now, more and more players in NHL and our Swedish "Elite serien", and in Finland is breeding new talents in Switzerland, things are looking :023: for the future. And i predict that any year now when the bigger nations least suspects it, Switzerland will drop like a bomb on the rink.

As for our upcoming game against Belarus, it will be interesting to see what Hanlon will do. Unfortuneatly i havent been able to watch a game with Belarus yet so i have no idea how they look, but we have met and lost against them before so it will be interesting.

BTW, did you see a penalty shot taken by Grabovski??!! INCREDIBLE! Like Forsberg did in OG final in 94, with one hand!!

If somebody wants to see, I give you a link to download.

Quote Originally Posted by aldair1808
    BTW, did you see a penalty shot taken by Grabovski??!! INCREDIBLE! Like Forsberg did in OG final in 94, with one hand!!

If somebody wants to see, I give you a link to download.
    That reminded me how Balderis did these things...
    Nothing to declare.

Quote Originally Posted by Skratch
    That reminded me how Balderis did these things...
    Grabovski should be proud for this comparison!! Me too:)

The funny thing is that it's Forsberg who's become fameous here in sweden for that goal in the 94- olympics, even though we had a hockey player once that did it before him. Kenta nilsson if anyone remembers him, one of my all time favourites :023: , fun to see him in the commercial breaks this year. I only wish he had been a commentator too ;)

Thread Information