View Poll Results: Which 2 teams will be Relegated to Division 1 for 2007?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Denmark

    7 15.56%
  • Italy

    38 84.44%
  • Kazakhstan

    35 77.78%
  • Slovenia

    10 22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 101 to 111 of 111

Thread: 2006 IHWC: Relegation Round Thread

  1. #101
    IHF Staff Jazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Southern Canada
    Posts
    6,449

    Final Relegation Round Standings

    Final Relegation Round Standings
    Rank
    Team
    GP
    Wins
    Ties
    Losses
    GF:GA
    GDF
    Pts
    1
    Denmark
    3
    2
    1
    0
    11:05
    +6
    5
    2
    Italy
    3
    1
    1
    1
    06:10
    -4
    3
    3
    Kazakhstan
    3
    1
    0
    2
    09:06
    +3
    2
    4
    Slovenia
    3
    0
    3
    1
    06:11
    -5
    2
    Denmark and Italy remain in the Elite World Championships for 2007
    Kakakhstan and Slovenia are relegated to 2007 Div I

  2. #102
    IHF Staff Graham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    4,245
    Quote Originally Posted by canadausafan
    Agree with you--good point, but the solution maybe is this: they should not base it on IIHF ranking but IHWC final positions from the previous year. These will change more frequently than IIHF world ranking.
    But the problem with just basing it on 1 year is that you are seeding based upon a very small sample size. Therefore, you can end up with a very unbalanced group because it has several teams that poorly performed the year before. Remember the US were in the relegation round in 2003. That made them a horrible 4th seed to get in 2004 and their group that year was a real group of death (Slovakia, Finland, USA, Ukraine).

    Not saying it's a better option, though. Just that there are pros and cons to both systems. What I don't understand, though, is why IIHF ranking is used in the Elite Seniors but nowhere else.

    Graham.
    "It's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is."
    ---
    "Night Watch", Terry Pratchett

  3. #103
    IHF Staff Jazz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Southern Canada
    Posts
    6,449
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham
    ....Not saying it's a better option, though. Just that there are pros and cons to both systems. What I don't understand, though, is why IIHF ranking is used in the Elite Seniors but nowhere else.

    Graham.
    Would the arguement for that not be that the rankings for the teams ranked 20 and down do not change much from year to year, so you would have close to the same groups (A and B) within Div I and Div II each year....

    I'm only trying to come up with THE reason why they don't do it, not defend it. I do understand your point that it should be more consistent from top to bottom (ie, if the elite group uses it, so should Division I, II and III).
    There is no such thing as a "Bad Hockey Market"
    There are, however, several markets with "Bad Hockey"

    International Hockey Forums on Social Media:
    https://twitter.com/ihf_forums
    https://www.facebook.com/ihf.forums

  4. #104
    IHF Member Shardik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Oulu/Raahe, Finland
    Posts
    4,651
    Quote Originally Posted by Dancan
    And just to lift some of the fog: There will be a DRAW for the 2007 IHWC.

    http://www.iihf.com/news/iihfpr2906.htm
    Yep, I don't know. I think the article on IHWC.net said that all the decisions (there were 5) took place already for next year. I am almost certain that it said that the ranking directly after Riga IHWC would be used to make the groups for next year.

    One of the decisions was the new quarterfinal format which has been confirmed but nothing else from the article has.

    I don't remember the other 3 decisions clearly, they had something to do with olympic qualifications, nothing major.

    But now the article is nowhere to be seen in IHWC.net (not even in the archives) so maybe it was a bad joke or something. I guess we'll just have to wait and see on this one.
    "Lord Baelish, what you suggest is treason."
    "Only if we lose."

    A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

  5. #105
    IHF Member Karsten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Northern Zealand (in Denmark)
    Posts
    11,637
    The IIHF Congress has not taken place yet so no decisions have been taken.

    • As for the preliminary groups, I am 99.9% certain that it will be business as usual, i.e. a draw based on the four seedings groups. Here is further proof from the latest ice times:

    The draw, which will determine the four groups at the 2007 IIHF World Championship in Russia will be held in Moscow on May 23 at 12.00 at the office of
    the Mayor of Moscow. The 16 teams will seeded according to the IIHF World Ranking which will be established immediately following the Gold Medal game in Riga on May 21. Teams ranked 1-4 will be in the first seeding group, teams 5-8 in the second tier, teams 9-12 in the third and teams ranked 13-16 will be in the last seeding group.
    • The idea of changing the QF match ups so that E1 meets E4, F1 vs F4, and so on, makes sense to me. Apart from reducing travel costs (in particular time, changing hotels etc), it may also be seen as a means to reduce opportunistic behavior of teams (Sweden at the Olympics). For exactly the same reasons, a return to the old system of determining the preliminary groups should be avoided.

  6. #106
    IHF Member Shardik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Oulu/Raahe, Finland
    Posts
    4,651
    Quote Originally Posted by Dancan
    The IIHF Congress has not taken place yet so no decisions have been taken.
    I guess I didn't put it the best way possible. The article stated that the national hockey federations or such like had agreed about these matters. However these needed still be approved by the IIHF congress.
    "Lord Baelish, what you suggest is treason."
    "Only if we lose."

    A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

  7. #107
    IHF Staff Graham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    4,245
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz
    Would the arguement for that not be that the rankings for the teams ranked 20 and down do not change much from year to year, so you would have close to the same groups (A and B) within Div I and Div II each year...
    Wouldn't that be an argument for adopting it? That is, it won't really change much, so let's keep it consistent?

    The only reason I can think of is the main reason why there can be large changes at this level, called the "Great Britain Clause". If you don't compete in the Olympic Qualifiers, you end up with a ranking that significantly below your ability. Great Britain should be ranked 25th (their past 4 years Worlds position has been 25, 25, 25 and 26), but they are ranked 31st because they chose not to go into the Olympic Qualifiers.

    This puts them below China, Croatia, Serbia and Montenegro and Bulgaria; teams that you would expect comfortable British victories against. GB are actually 255 points behind Bulgaria in 30th. The difference in points won in the Worlds this year was 120. That means GB are looking at another 2 years before they can bridge that gap unless either they up their own performance or Bulgaria have a couple of poor years. So, we would be the strongest 6th seed. That might not be a problem if it is just GB, but if the Dutch also decided not to compete in the Olympic Qualifiers, you could end up with them being 5th seeds in the same group.

    But, that doesn't explain why they don't do it for the u18s and u20s.

    Graham.
    "It's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is."
    ---
    "Night Watch", Terry Pratchett

  8. #108
    IHF Member Tokyo Bucks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tokyo, Japan
    Posts
    1,383
    Rankings should be based on the last 4 WCh/Olympic(qualifiers) that the national teams competed in (within the last 4 years, probably). Otherwise, yeah, we end up with situations like GB being ranked much lower than their ability.

  9. #109
    IHF Member Acroni767's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Domzale, Slovenija
    Posts
    779
    All hockey fans kindly invited to Ljubljana next spring as we will host WC Division 1 with teams Lietuva,Great Britain,Hungary,Japan,Romania and Slovenija.For orientation tickets probably won't exceed 10€,big beer 2€,burgers 2-3€,bottle wine 2-10€,women negotiate ... :drink2:
    JE !! SE !! NI !! CE

  10. #110
    IHF Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Posts
    1,187
    Quote Originally Posted by Acroni767
    All hockey fans kindly invited to Ljubljana next spring as we will host WC Division 1 with teams Lietuva,Great Britain,Hungary,Japan,Romania and Slovenija.For orientation tickets probably won't exceed 15€,big beer 2€,burgers 2-3€,bottle wine 2-10€,women negotiate ... :drink2:
    I will go for sure!!! :drink2: C ya there!!! :drinker-g
    „HOCKEY IS WHERE WE LIVE

    Life is just a place where we spend time between games”

  11. #111
    IHF Member Acroni767's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Domzale, Slovenija
    Posts
    779
    @Krisz It will be nice for sure!:)
    JE !! SE !! NI !! CE

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •