Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hockey in the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by hardright View Post
    Jon, I hope you do succeed this time and I hope all the parents and coaches come together to get this going. It's high time. BTW, will there be a hockey tournament before end of the year?
    Hardright, Yes, a we have an approval for a developmental hockey league in SM MOA for youth and adult Hockey. I will meet with the SM management and hockey coaches on Tuesday to discuss the Hockey Development Program already approve by Mr. Hans Sy. Our target date for the start of the Hockey Season will be end of October 2008. We will do a draft set up to make it fair and fun for the kids. Thank you for your help and support!

Quote Originally Posted by SydneyD View Post
    wow its been a while since i last opened this. ive never been to the predators turf before. but first time i went there, everybody knows me cos of this website. "hey its sydney. the one everybody hates online" hahahahahhahahah.. a coach told me that alot has been replying on what i said here so i opened this again. everyone from the south is asking who vernon is cos they say that he talks too much and he doesnt know anything about the predators. hmmm

and for Sharm. i didnt say that womens hockey here in the ph is lame. i just said that figure skating is given much attention than hockey. i didnt even know you're the one promoting hockey here in the ph. everyone's got the heart for hockey here in the ph and thats whats awesome about it.

about the PIHF.. i think it's a brilliant idea!!
    Sydney, I understand your frustration! I hear the same from a lot of players and ex-hockey players. That's exactly my point, you're team needs good coaching.... The secret of a good hockey program is coaching. You need at least 3 coaches, offensive coach, defensive coach, head coach and if available a qualified trainer or power skating coach. And those are the ingredients that's hard to come by. A solid skating team is a good base for an elite level of training. "How are you gonna shoot the puck if you can't even skate to it?"

IHF Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by SAiNTS View Post
    I used to coach Manila Tigers, Manila Typhoons, Manila Predators, Juggernauts and now Saints Youth Hockey Club Philippines. Me and Tour hockey pro Brad Segal started Predators with the rival team Tigers and Typhoons. We used to volunteer to different teams to elevate their game and develop the skill level of most players. But the passion for the game eventually ran out because of lack of support.

Organizing leagues and tournaments for the rinks is very hard because of too much politicking from all sides. Recently, some parents including myself tried to organize the Philippine Ice Hockey Federation but the other coaches did not support the move because of their own personal reasons.

The problem here in the Philippines is there are no hockey program set up in the rinks and the coaches are using the ISI figure skating manual to teach hockey. I really believe that there is future for hockey if we can develop and educate more coaches. Hockey is volunteer driven and the rink should be open to qualified coaches and players who are willing to do clinics and help the growth of the sport.

I was called up for a meeting with the SM Rink Management team. Hans Sy, the owner of the rinks ask the management yesterday to prioritize the hockey program proposal which includes: Players Skills Development, Coaches Education Program (Coaches Wanted!), Youth and Adult Hockey Development League, and PIHF (Philippine Ice Hockey Federation).

The federation to my understanding from the management will be run by them without parents and players involvement. Members will not have any voting rights and of course transparency will be out of the question. For that reason, maybe the hockey community should have a dialogue with the management and suggest what would be best for hockey.

Next week, there will be hockey coaches meeting to discuss setting up a new program for hockey, league and getting rid of the ISI figure skating program. I hope it goes well!

To all Filipino hockey players, maybe its time for you to stop talking and start walking. Nothings going to happen if you don't work for it. We all love the game, lets all work together to achieve our goal!

Nice idea coach jonathan!

IHF Prospect

go hockey chicks

Just want to let all the girls (especially the Vixens) playing hockey to keep the fire burning...I have been playing ice hockey for the last 8 years here in Texas. Because of the warm weather, hockey has been growing here like wildfire. The best sports to play all year long (esp in the summer) would be ice hockey. We probably have about 10 rinks in the metroplex!
    In my team, me and my hubby are the only Pinoys. Actually I haven't met any other Pinoys here that play hockey. I fell inlove with the hockey the first time I held my stick and put my gear on. Sometimes you feel totally different when you have your gear right? I mean, you are invincible with a $1,000 worth of gear on you.
    Anyway, ladies, kudos to all you have done! I agree that we all have to start somewhere in this sport. We just need to support each other and spread the fun. Like I always say, "Nobody was born with skates on (except maybe Canadians)!!!"
    Hockey is my weekly psychotherapy...why do you think I'm so nice at work when Monday comes?

Dont know how to attach photos of hockey chicks...but will try again next time.

Best of luck to all of you. Hope to play with you sometime. You might see me at SM Asia or megamall...watch out for the girl on Graf skates with yellow laces.
    C
    Last edited by Steigs; 29-10-2008 at 07:54. Reason: Dallas Stars have nothing to do with Philippine hockey. Read the board rules.

Quote Originally Posted by bayug View Post
    Just want to let all the girls (especially the Vixens) playing hockey to keep the fire burning...I have been playing ice hockey for the last 8 years here in Texas. Because of the warm weather, hockey has been growing here like wildfire. The best sports to play all year long (esp in the summer) would be ice hockey. We probably have about 10 rinks in the metroplex!
    In my team, me and my hubby are the only Pinoys. Actually I haven't met any other Pinoys here that play hockey. I fell inlove with the hockey the first time I held my stick and put my gear on. Sometimes you feel totally different when you have your gear right? I mean, you are invincible with a $1,000 worth of gear on you.
    Anyway, ladies, kudos to all you have done! I agree that we all have to start somewhere in this sport. We just need to support each other and spread the fun. Like I always say, "Nobody was born with skates on (except maybe Canadians)!!!"
    Hockey is my weekly psychotherapy...why do you think I'm so nice at work when Monday comes?

Dont know how to attach photos of hockey chicks...but will try again next time.

Best of luck to all of you. Hope to play with you sometime. You might see me at SM Asia or megamall...watch out for the girl on Graf skates with yellow laces.
    C

Wow! Pinay hockey player in Texas. Interesting! I agree, playing ice hockey makes me feel invincible every time I put on my gear. I love playing hockey come weekends, especially when I'm stressed at work. Anyhow, would love to meet you soon. And let me know when you're coming over. Thanks for supporting my team, the Manila Ice Vixens and hockey in the Philippines. Go Pinoy hockey!!!

Btw, you can check out www.sharmskee.com for hockey updates.

*Look for me, the girl on NikeBauer Vapor with pink laces lol :p
    Best,

Sharm Miguel-Macalua
    First PIE Inc.
    +63.917.8041377
    sharm@philippineicehockey.com
    www.philippineicehockey.com
    www.sharmskee.com

IHF Prospect
    Sharm,
    I checked your website...you gals look so young. I actually play usually D with ladies from 18 and up (probably some almost 50s)...can you imagine? Yes, some are grandma's but dont underestimate them, they are actually the toughest to take out. Most are mommies like me (i have 2 toddlers). Right now, Im playing in a coed league with 2 teams. The first team I play with only have 2 girls and the other team CupCakes allows only girls. So, I play 2 games a night to as much as 3 games/night since some teams are pretty short and we just play as substitutes on other teams. I dread rolling my hockey bag at the end of the 3rd game...must be the sweat making it heavier..eeeww...but cant resist playing. I also registered in MVIs website and posted my pic with Angela Ruggiero.
    A few questions, how frequently does players hit the post in the middle of the rink in megamall? How much do you pay for a season there? Where do I get one of your MIV jerseys size XXL?
    Carina

Quote Originally Posted by bayug View Post
    Sharm,
    I checked your website...you gals look so young. I actually play usually D with ladies from 18 and up (probably some almost 50s)...can you imagine? Yes, some are grandma's but dont underestimate them, they are actually the toughest to take out. Most are mommies like me (i have 2 toddlers). Right now, Im playing in a coed league with 2 teams. The first team I play with only have 2 girls and the other team CupCakes allows only girls. So, I play 2 games a night to as much as 3 games/night since some teams are pretty short and we just play as substitutes on other teams. I dread rolling my hockey bag at the end of the 3rd game...must be the sweat making it heavier..eeeww...but cant resist playing. I also registered in MVIs website and posted my pic with Angela Ruggiero.
    A few questions, how frequently does players hit the post in the middle of the rink in megamall? How much do you pay for a season there? Where do I get one of your MIV jerseys size XXL?
    Carina
    Thanks! Probably it's Asian genes that's why we look young lol. Actually, we played with a 50 year old Asian girl a couple of tournaments ago. She's my inspiration hehe.. Well, alot of players accidentally hit the post in the middle of the rink every game haha, but we can't do anything about it. It supports partly the 2nd floor of the mall. At Megamall rink, we pay P400/game while at Mall of Asia, I think it's P500/game that's for 2 hours. Are you sure XXL? The size is really big. Our Canadian team mate got XXL, she's 5'10" but she had it altered coz it was huge. How tall are you btw? I can hook you up with the merchandiser. They're selling custom jerseys for a reasonable price. Let me know if you want to order so I can include you on the 2nd batch of orders. YM or PM me. My ym id: sharmskee. :)
    Best,

Sharm Miguel-Macalua
    First PIE Inc.
    +63.917.8041377
    www.sharmskee.com

IHF Prospect

Who?

Who are those Philippine Team player? Hm.. I didn't heard this news in Media

IHF Prospect
    I am trying to find information who I can contact in the Philippines in having some exhibition games against the teams over there? I have organized some games with mostly Filipinos here in Calgary Alberta Canada and many were interested in going to the Philippines to play some hockey and visit family and friends while they were there.

Quote Originally Posted by kamakaze View Post
    I am trying to find information who I can contact in the Philippines in having some exhibition games against the teams over there? I have organized some games with mostly Filipinos here in Calgary Alberta Canada and many were interested in going to the Philippines to play some hockey and visit family and friends while they were there.
    Hi! I can help you with that. What's your email address? I'll email you the infos and contact persons for that event.
    Best,

Sharm Miguel-Macalua
    First PIE Inc.
    +63.917.8041377
    www.sharmskee.com

IHF Prospect
    try to send a pm to saints, i think he can help you on this.

IHF Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by sharmskee View Post
    Hi! I can help you with that. What's your email address? I'll email you the infos and contact persons for that event.
    Hello Sharm,

Sorry for the late response. I sent an email to your live account.

Thanks.

NHL A little support

I used to coach Manila Tigers, Manila Typhoons, Manila Predators, Juggernauts and now Saints Youth Hockey Club Philippines. Me and Tour hockey pro Brad Segal started Predators with the rival team Tigers and Typhoons. We used to volunteer to different teams to elevate their game and develop the skill level of most players. But the passion for the game eventually ran out because of lack of support.

Organizing leagues and tournaments for the rinks is very hard because of too much politicking from all sides. Recently, some parents including myself tried to organize the Philippine Ice Hockey Federation but the other coaches did not support the move because of their own personal reasons.

The problem here in the Philippines is there are no hockey program set up in the rinks and the coaches are using the ISI figure skating manual to teach hockey. I really believe that there is future for hockey if we can develop and educate more coaches. Hockey is volunteer driven and the rink should be open to qualified coaches and players who are willing to do clinics and help the growth of the sport.

I was called up for a meeting with the SM Rink Management team. Hans Sy, the owner of the rinks ask the management yesterday to prioritize the hockey program proposal which includes: Players Skills Development, Coaches Education Program (Coaches Wanted!), Youth and Adult Hockey Development League, and PIHF (Philippine Ice Hockey Federation).

The federation to my understanding from the management will be run by them without parents and players involvement. Members will not have any voting rights and of course transparency will be out of the question. For that reason, maybe the hockey community should have a dialogue with the management and suggest what would be best for hockey.

Next week, there will be hockey coaches meeting to discuss setting up a new program for hockey, league and getting rid of the ISI figure skating program. I hope it goes well!

To all Filipino hockey players, maybe its time for you to stop talking and start walking. Nothings going to happen if you don't work for it. We all love the game, lets all work together to achieve our goal!
    Love to get that done, I hope everyone can extend a helping hand.

Sharm's been working hard to put the Vixens together (again), but we're not sure where everybody is.

I haven't opened this post in a while since the mess with Sydney's post.
    @Sydney - no hard feelings, let's just get it over it and let's all work together.

For the others posting, we all love the same sport, please let's all just support each other and stop pointing fingers. ( I do not intend to hurt anyone)

@Vernon - perhaps Vernon doesn't know much about the predators and don't think had any intention whatsoever to hurt the predators team. Prolly just got upset with Syndey at that time.

I hope we lot bygones be bygones.

We are all playing in the same turf in the Philippines - 3 rinks is not that many.

I've trained under Coach Cadiz in Southmall in the past with the other Vixens, have trained in MOA as well, though our homecourt is in Megamall. Anyone can train in any of these 3 rinks. We shouldn't be putting barriers because you're from this team or from this team or from this rink or that rink. The important thing is we take ice hockey in the Philippines to a higher level, something we have been trying for the last few years.

The former ice hockey players in the Phils have moved abroad where they continue to play the sport but the others simply just gave up. I hope we can make this sport more formidable in the future years.

thanks for your time to read this ^_^
    Last edited by Kae Lin Santiago; 11-03-2009 at 01:55.

Why is not Philippines taking part in IIHF Challenge Cup of Asia?

Quote Originally Posted by Aren View Post
    Why is not Philippines taking part in IIHF Challenge Cup of Asia?
    There's the small matter of IIHF membership....

NHL

Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    There's the small matter of IIHF membership....
    my thoughts exactly. The Philippines haven't formally 'formed' an IIHF membership. Hopefully it's in the works....

IHF Prospect

Hockey in the Philippines

Just to update this thread, especially for people who might be moving to Manila and would like to play hockey. YES, there is a hockey league in Manila, so bring your equipment and contact SM Mall of Asia if you're interested in getting contact details for the league.

We're going into our 2nd 'season' of the league. It's working out pretty well and quality of play is improving all the time. There's a good mix of Filipino and foreign players - probably 3/4 Filipino overall.

You can find out a few more details about the league here:

http://www.leaguelineup.com/welcome.asp?url=maihl

IHF Member

Maihl

Hi!

Could you tell me which team whon the first MAIHL competition? WHo where number 2?

Could you help me with the logos of the clubs?

Greetings,
    Rowan

IHF Prospect
    Label 5 beat Beavers in the final of season 1.

You can check out the website for more info.... the logos aren't on there yet though. They will be soon.

Season two started today. (Label 5 over Beavers again... although we held a draft so the teams are all mixed up compared to the last round)

1st Philippine International Ice Hockey Tournament 2009

To All Ice Hockey Teams,

Experience an exhilarating ice hockey tournament in the Philippines!!

PIE Inc. invites international and local ice hockey teams to participate in one of the country’s most extreme sports. A new site…a new kind of fun! Register NOW!

Below is the official invitation. Kindly send back the registration form on or before April 30, 2009. Payment details will be sent to those teams who registered.

You can also register online at www.philippineicehockey.com

Mabuhay!

==================================

SM Mall of Asia International Ice Skating Rink
    July 16-18, 2009

Official Team Invitation

We’re excited to announce that all systems are go for the 1st Philippine International Ice Hockey Tournament this coming July 2009. The inaugural tournament will be from July 16 to 18, 2009 (Thursday to Saturday) and will be held at SM Mall of Asia’s Olympic-size skating rink. This will be an excellent opportunity to experience ice hockey and to explore picture perfect vacation destinations in the Philippines.

We would like to invite teams all over the world to join this international tournament and to help make this event a success. The tournament will feature a single round robin tournament format. There will also be a special skills competition during the last day.

For registration and payment deadlines, please note the dates indicated below.

Important Dates:

Last Day of Team Registration – April 30, 2009, Thursday
    Submit Entry Fee – Final Deadline – May 15, 2009, Friday

*USD $1,700 per team
    **Individual players can also register at US $170 each

Each registered participant will receive the following:
    - Player Mabuhay Bag
    - Player Tournament ID
    - Commemorative TournamentT-Shirt
    - Tournament Souvenir Catalogue
    - Free Bottled Water during Games
    - Dinner/Awards Night Party Invites

Payment details will be sent to those teams who registered. You can also register online at www.philippineicehockey.com.

For more information, please email Ms. Sharm Miguel-Macalua at sharm@philippineicehockey.com

We hope to hear from everyone soon.

Yours truly,

Sharm Miguel-Macalua
    First PIE Inc.
    +63.917.8041377
    Best,

Sharm Miguel-Macalua
    First PIE Inc.
    +63.917.8041377
    www.sharmskee.com

Alert Philippine International Ice Hockey Tournament 2009

We would like to invite your team to join the Philippine International Ice Hockey Tournament 2009 which will be held at the Mall of Asia on July 16-18. We have confirmed international teams from Vancouver, Qatar, Bangkok merged with Tokyo-Canadians, and Shanghai Melchers. We're still waiting for a couple more teams. Hope your team can make it.

Btw, if you have more questions, pls don't hesitate to ask me, Sharm. You can call me at +63917.804.1377 or email me at sharm@philippineicehockey.com. Also, for confirmation about the tournament, here's an additional contact from SM Mall of Asia International Ice Skating Rink:

Lavidz L. Chua
    Events Coordinator
    SM International Skating Rink
    T | +632 556.0471
    F | +632 556.0469
    M | +63917.5351291
    +63922.8528439
    lllc@smsupermalls.com

For registration and payment deadlines, please note the dates indicated below.

Important Dates:

Last Day of Team Registration – April 30, 2009, Thursday - FINAL EXTENSION June 5, 2009, Friday

Submit Entry Fee – Final Deadline – May 15, 2009, Friday - FINAL EXTENSION on June 5, 2009, Friday

* *USD $1,700 per team
    * **Individual players can also register at US $170 each

Each registered participant will receive the following:

* Player Mabuhay Bag
    * Player Tournament ID
    * Commemorative TournamentT-Shirt
    * Tournament Souvenir Catalogue
    * Free Bottled Water during Games
    * Dinner/Awards Night Party Invites

Payment details will be sent to those teams who registered. You can also register online at www.philippineicehockey.com.

Thank you and hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards,

Sharm Miguel-Macalua
    First PIE Org.
    Philippine International Ice Hockey Tournament
    +63917.804.1377

IHF Prospect
    Sharm,
    Would love to play with you inthe tourney but got other plans. Were you able to check if there are games we can play on Oct 9 to 12? If we are able to play most of those days, we might consider bringing our gears. THx.
    Carina

IHF Prospect
    Hi.... I'm another Filipino ice hockey fan! Nice to know that there are Pinoys/Pinays who love the sport! :D

1st Philippine International Ice Hockey Tournament 2009 Wrap Up

Hi!

In behalf of First Philippine Ice Events (PIE Org), I would like to personally thank you for making the 1st Philippine International Ice Hockey Tournament a resounding success! We hope you had fun playing in Manila as much as we had fun having you and your team.

We're already planning ahead for the next tournament for early 2010. We would very much like to get your feedback so that we can give you the best international ice hockey tournament experience this side of the globe next year. You can fill up the survey here: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?s...FOqk4DGA_3d_3d.

Very truly yours,

Sharm Miguel-Macalua
    First PIE Org., President
    Philippine International Ice Hockey Tournament
    +63917.804.1377

PS
    For game results, you can check it out here: http://www.leaguelineup.com/standing...&sid=906283216

* If you have questions or concern about the stats, please let us know for us to make the necessary adjustment. Thank you!

For photos, you can check it out here:
    http://sharmskee.multiply.com/photos...y_Tournament_1
    http://sharmskee.multiply.com/photos...y_Tournament_2
    http://sharmskee.multiply.com/photos...y_Tournament_3
    http://sharmskee.multiply.com/photos...tos_co_KIZZ_ME

IHF Prospect

Dallas

hi coach, im a hockey enthusiast, inspite my age now, i still wanted to learn and play ice hockey. and with those threads that i've been reading, i fully support your move count me in all the way. looking forward to play with your team coach.

IHF Prospect
    hi good afternoon to all, i am one of the greatest fan of hockey and i really really want to play, although i'm the one here in our area who loves to play hockey, but the problem is I don't funds or equipment to play ^_^

The IIHF Facebook page linked this article about hockey in the Philippines, and it was pretty insightful. Definitely worth a read! http://www.mb.com.ph/ice-ice-baby/
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

IHF Member
    I linked it in this thread earlier. Looks as though they want to join the IIHF and then hopefully play in the CCoA. Next they play in HK including a game against Qatar !!

http://www.internationalhockey.net/f...209#post259209

Geoff
    Quote Originally Posted by Conesy View Post
    The IIHF Facebook page linked this article about hockey in the Philippines, and it was pretty insightful. Definitely worth a read! http://www.mb.com.ph/ice-ice-baby/

IHF Member
    Two Philippines squads won international tournaments recently. The mens won the HKAHC Invitational Amateur Tournament in Hong kong (results http://www.nationalteamsoficehockey....ournament.html) and an U13 team won the peewee division of the Malaysia Invitational Ice Hockey tournament. Congrats to them.

http://www.nationalteamsoficehockey....com-09-23-2015

There will be a tounament in Manilla on 25th-28th november with 32 squads spread over six categories.
    https://www.facebook.com/piiht

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information