View Poll Results: Who will win between Belarus and Switzerland?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Belarus will win

6 37.50%
  • Switzerland will win

5 31.25%
  • The game will end in a tie

5 31.25%

Thread: Belarus vs Switzerland (Day 12) - Qualifying Round Group F Game-Thread

Belarus vs Switzerland (Day 12) - Qualifying Round Group F Game-Thread

Jazz has't post it yet for some reason, when it going to be a very principal game betwen two teams that each pretends to be the eight in the world.Who is better?
    Belarus or Switzerland? Or maybe they want to play a tie and advance to the quaters both? Today we will get the answer.

Your comments please...

Playing for a tie would be a very risky business for Switzerland. The team knows they have the qualification for the quarterfinals in their own hands, they 'just' have to win against Belarus and all is clear. In case of a tie, everything depends on the other teams, and that's simply too risky.

Also, from what the SUI players said in the interviews, I gather that they want to go back to winning as soon as possible, before the quarterfinals begin.

I don't, however, expect an offensive game, it will be very tactical at the beginning, the Swiss will play defensively and see what Belarus will do. The first goal (surprise, surprise..!) will determine what the game will be like.

I think that SUI can win this game.
    Up The Irons!

-

"L'année de trop? Je l'ai faite quand j'avais 13 ans." = "If I played a year too much, it was the year when I was 13." -Gil Montandon, when asked if he wasn't a year too old to sign a contract as a hockey-pro at the age of 40. (That was in 2006. He went on playing professionally till the end of the 2008/09 season.)

Not so easy to say who will dominate in this game, but Belaus seems to be a bit stronger, +1 for Belarus!!!
    "Keep nothing in your house that you can't use or don't find beautiful" W.Morris :smart:

I like both teams to do well but as tewlve points out 1st goal is crucial as both teams play a defensive game. The Swiss will have to shut down BLR top line & vice versa.

Guess it will be Mezin v Aebischer to see who takes the points.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twelve
    Playing for a tie would be a very risky business for Switzerland. The team knows they have the qualification for the quarterfinals in their own hands, they 'just' have to win against Belarus and all is clear. In case of a tie, everything depends on the other teams, and that's simply too risky.
    No they need only a tie to be in QF... So, what result would you expect in game where both teams don´t want to lose but none needs to win? You can guess three times...

IHF Member
    Let's see if I got this right...

If SUI-BLR tie then all 3 teams will have 5 points (given that Slovakia beats UKR) and have a tie among each other. Then it's GDF that matters, right? Belarus has +5, Switzerlad -2 and Slovakia has +1 but will be higher after the Ukraine game. That means that BLR and SVK go to the QF and Switzerland is out.

Quote Originally Posted by TORRUS

If SUI-BLR tie then all 3 teams will have 5 points (given that Slovakia beats UKR) and have a tie among each other. Then it's GDF that matters, right? Belarus has +5, Switzerlad -2 and Slovakia has +1 but will be higher after the Ukraine game. That means that BLR and SVK go to the QF and Switzerland is out.
    There you have it.
    Up The Irons!

-

"L'année de trop? Je l'ai faite quand j'avais 13 ans." = "If I played a year too much, it was the year when I was 13." -Gil Montandon, when asked if he wasn't a year too old to sign a contract as a hockey-pro at the age of 40. (That was in 2006. He went on playing professionally till the end of the 2008/09 season.)

IHF Member

Wrong. Belarus have beaten Slovakia, so in the mini-table BLR will have 3 pts, SUI 2 pts and Slovakia will be out with only 1 point.

Quote Originally Posted by pyr
    Wrong. Belarus have beaten Slovakia, so in the mini-table BLR will have 3 pts, SUI 2 pts and Slovakia will be out with only 1 point.
    So,if Sui and Blr get tie result,and slovakia beat ukr,slovakia is out? :scratchhe

IHF Member

No,Torrus.you are wrong.
    If SUI-BLR tie then all 3 teams will have 5 points(given that Slovakia beats UKR) that's sure but in this event you have to do with the standings between the 3 teams: BLR has beaten SVK and tie SUI( 3 points),SUI tie both( 2 points),SVK tie SUI and lost to BLR(1 points). Result: SVK is out of the QF.
    Will you guess the result of SUI-BLR ?.................
    First we have to do with the standings between the teams and then, in case of a tie(for each teams a win and a loss or 2 tie for each team) GDF.

IHF Member
    Oh yes, of course. I understand the system but I just completely forgot that Belarus beat Slovakia; tought it was a tie... :105:

It makes perfectly sense.

I think Belarus has better chances in this game, but could go either way.

3-2 BLR

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STOLBUN
    So,if Sui and Blr get tie result,and slovakia beat ukr,slovakia is out? :scratchhe
    That´s it. If you are not going to bet today, then never...

Oh yes, of course. I understand the system but I just completely forgot that Belarus beat Slovakia; tought it was a tie... :105:
    No worries, my mind couldn´t accept that result for a while, too :shakehead

Oh yes, betandwin's odds on a tie is down to 3.00. That is the lowest odds on a tie in a hockey match I have ever seen. :shakehead

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cohiba
    No,Torrus.you are wrong.
    If SUI-BLR tie then all 3 teams will have 5 points(given that Slovakia beats UKR) that's sure but in this event you have to do with the standings between the 3 teams: BLR has beaten SVK and tie SUI( 3 points),SUI tie both( 2 points),SVK tie SUI and lost to BLR(1 points). Result: SVK is out of the QF.
    Will you guess the result of SUI-BLR ?.................
    First we have to do with the standings between the teams and then, in case of a tie(for each teams a win and a loss or 2 tie for each team) GDF.
    On Ihwc.net Preview SUI-BLR i have read that Switzerland to come in QF must:
    a) win or
    b) tie and Slovakia loss to UKR !!!!!!!!!!
    Or am i wrong ?

IHF Member
    On Ihwc.net Preview SUI-BLR i have read that Switzerland to come in QF must:
    a) win or
    b) tie and Slovakia loss to UKR !!!!!!!!!!
    Or am i wrong ?
    Have read that too, but I believe ihwc.net is wrong. I would be really happy if not, but the true is the tie kicks both, SUI and BLR in QFs, no matter the result of Slovaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dancan
    Oh yes, betandwin's odds on a tie is down to 3.00. That is the lowest odds on a tie in a hockey match I have ever seen. :shakehead
    Why doesn't it surprise me :003: ?
    Year 2000. Latvia - Ukraine 0:0. Britain eliminated from the contest...
    Anyway I am going to the game, and will share my opinion afterwards.
    :drinker-g

The tie-breaking rules are quite clear:

If three or more teams have the same number of points in the group, then their ranking shall be determined by higher number of points in a special standing composed just from the results of their head-to-head (mutual) games.
    If the number of points is equal between the three or more teams in this special standing just from the results of their head-to-head (mutual) games, than the same tie breaking criteria as above applies.
    I.e.

1) Slovakia will most likely reach 5 points after beating Ukraine.

2) This means that the tie breaking rule will be triggered if - and only if - Switzerland ties Belarus.

3) In this case Slovakia will lose out

Belarus - Slovakia 2-1
    Slovakia - Switzerland 2-2
    Belarus - Switzerland - tie

3. Belarus 3 points
    4. Switzerland 2 points
    -----------------------------
    5. Slovakia 1 points

4) What furthermore makes the tying-scenario likely, is that the Czech Republic will most likely win Group E. I assume they will beat USA today.
    My guess is that Switzerland would prefer facing the Czechs instead of Canada in the QF. In order to reach this pairing, they must not beat Belarus.

5) The odds gamblers have certainly figured this out. Bet-and-win's odds for a tie is down from 3.70 to 2.50 now. The odds was 3.00 just two hours ago. Centrebet's odds on a tie is as low as 2.30. I have never, ever, seen so low odds on a tie for a hockey match.

But let's not prejudge what is going to happen. In hockey it is very difficult to play for a tie. If Switzerland lose, they are out.

And one more thing: With a win, Switzerland looks set to surpass USA in the world rankings, climbing from 8 to 7.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skratch
    Why doesn't it surprise me :003: ?
    Year 2000. Latvia - Ukraine 0:0. Britain eliminated from the contest...
    Anyway I am going to the game, and will share my opinion afterwards.
    You´ll be there Skratch? Hmmm.... :scratchhe May I ask you a favor? Please stole a jersey from a drunken fan (your choice if SUI or BLR), make drunk yourself and run on ice if necessary (means 2min or less before the end it´s a tie) and score an own goal, then hit the referee immediatelly (I hope it will be Looker :036: ) in order to get misconduct penalty for the rest of the game and disappear in the tunnel. Muahahaha, I´m genius! :devileek: And no worries, right after you left the prison I can arrange your place in Slovak Hockey Federation Hall of Fame right next to Stastny brothers! :drinker-g How does it sound? I know you would do it for the second best (after you of course) IHG member :o

That's what it says on the IHWC page... Anyway, I think both teams will want to win this game - I think the Belorussians have stepped up more and more during the tournament whereas the Swiss keep their constant. It's gonna be rough, and I am tense already :)

I can only hope the Swiss manage to beat them just like in the last year's championship decisive qualifying game (2-0).

IHF Member
    But let's not prejudge what is going to happen. In hockey it is very difficult to play for a tie. If Switzerland lose, they are out.
    Well, many could manage it... But the odds are really funny :003:

But! What they don´t know is, Skratch will be attending the game...and maybe not only attending :036:

You´ll be there Skratch? Hmmm.... :scratchhe May I ask you a favor? ...
    :023:

You´ll be there Skratch? ...
    :005: :005: :005: COOL, the idea is GREAT!!! :drink2: Scratch, ya'd better take the Belarus jercey... But not of Andrew Mezin!!! :devileek:
    "Keep nothing in your house that you can't use or don't find beautiful" W.Morris :smart:

By the way, Skratch probably need to score against Belarus. The game has started and Switzerland is behind 0:1. :smart:

...Switzerland is behind 0:1. :smart:
    Hey, Scratch, was it ya?! :083:
    Last edited by DIN; 16-05-2006 at 15:38.

4) What furthermore makes the tying-scenario likely, is that the Czech Republic will most likely win Group E. I assume they will beat USA today.
    My guess is that Switzerland would prefer facing the Czechs instead of Canada in the QF. In order to reach this pairing, they must not beat Belarus..
    USA has taken the lead 2:0. So much for that theory! :blah:

IHF Member
    Very clever from Skratch that changing jerseys during the intermissions :claphands And taking jersey of Zadelenov - a masterpiece á la Jaques Clouseau - Skabelka was too much recognable

I am actually watching the game. Skratch hasn't shown up yet. Switzerland will roar back with a couple of goals, and then in the last two minutes it remains to be seen whether Skratch will do as you have requested. :003:

IHF Member
    And it´s coming as supposed. After Pluss´ goal "Slovakia" is now leading only by 1 goal. Skratch, get ready! Your time´s coming!

IHF Member
    Looks like Skratch hasn´t shown up, but I´m sure he has acomplished at least the "drinking" part of the mission :003:

Looks like Skratch hasn´t shown up, but I´m sure he has acomplished at least the "drinking" part of the mission :003:
    I think that's a safe bet! :claphands
    Buffalo Sabres: TPS : Milwaukee Admirals

We won!!!!!!! :005: :005: :claphands :claphands :drinker-g :drinker-g

Belarus has prooved who is number eight in the world!

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aldair1808

Hmm, Slovakia this time? :stupid:

really really congrats to Belarus!!!! I'm very surprised by BLR level of play!

Quote Originally Posted by Québecois
    really really congrats to Belarus!!!! I'm very surprised by BLR level of play!
    Thank you very much! :023: I'm happy just as you yesterday! :002:

Hmm, Slovakia this time? :stupid:
    I still think that Slovakia is more skilled in general. We had a much luck that evening!

But now, you have got all chances to qualify in quaters also!! Please, be grateful to Mezin and put him a monument in the center of Bratislava:)

Congratulations!!! :023: Very good level of play shown by Belarus!!!

Ah well, BLR was better this time.
    Congratulations for winning and for reaching the quarterfinals! :023:
    Up The Irons!

-

IHF Member

Quiet please,
    SUI was in the QFs the last 3 WS and in Turin.
    BLR is the first time in the QF! and Switzerland isn't yet out(hopeful to UKR)

Quote Originally Posted by twelve
    Ah well, BLR was better this time.
    Congratulations for winning and for reaching the quarterfinals! :023:
    Thank you, bro! I got a lot respect for you team as a strong and dangerous rival. Let's hope that next year we will meet again, but in the semifanals already! :023:

Quiet please,
    Don't take it too seriously! I know the statistics very good. I'm just happy :ignore:

Thank you, bro! I got a lot respect for you team as a strong and dangerous rival. Let's hope that next year we will meet again, but in the semifanals already! :023:
    Yes, that would be something to look forward to!
    Up The Irons!

-

You´ll be there Skratch? Hmmm.... :scratchhe May I ask you a favor? Please stole a jersey from a drunken fan (your choice if SUI or BLR), make drunk yourself and run on ice if necessary (means 2min or less before the end it´s a tie) and score an own goal, then hit the referee immediatelly (I hope it will be Looker :036: ) in order to get misconduct penalty for the rest of the game and disappear in the tunnel. Muahahaha, I´m genius! :devileek: And no worries, right after you left the prison I can arrange your place in Slovak Hockey Federation Hall of Fame right next to Stastny brothers! :drinker-g How does it sound? I know you would do it for the second best (after you of course) IHG member :o
    Mission accomplished, buddy (the NON-drinking part of it)! It's your call now :002:
    The game was worth every penny I spent (5 Ls for the ticket :003: ).
    Gotta hurry to the DRINKING part with Sakaarnis and Serbaz. Details and press conference later.
    Do toho Slovensko!
    Sarauj, Latvija!
    Nothing to declare.

Quiet please,
    Olympics 2002? Semi-finals? Bronze-medal game?

Quote Originally Posted by Steigs
    Olympics 2002? Semi-finals? Bronze-medal game?
    He means only WC. Belarus only once has reached the top 8, in 98, but there were not quaterfinals, but two groups of 4 teams.

Congrats to Belarus on a very impressive win!

Thread Information