View Poll Results: Who will win between the Czech Republic and Sweden?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Czech Republic (E4) will win

7 38.89%
  • Sweden (F2) will win

11 61.11%

Thread: GOLD MEDAL GAME: Czech Republic vs Sweden (Day 16) Game thread

GOLD MEDAL GAME: Czech Republic vs Sweden (Day 16) Game thread

Sunday May 21st, 2006, 20:15 local time.

vs

Post your predictions, comments before after and during the games etc....

Also, join us in the Chat Room during the games: http://internationalhockeygang.org/chat/phpMyChat.php3

I will bet on Czech Republic.I'm simply shocked how they manage to lift the speed and skill of the play from 1st to 3rd period in QF game vs Russia and same vs Finland.Amazing and with a lot of players that are mostly unknown.Sweden was playing excellent tonight,but they play just opposite from Czechs - they slow down from 1st to 3rd and luckily against Canada was good enough to win although I belive same strategy in the final would be deadly for them.:smart:
    JE !! SE !! NI !! CE

Tough one to predict but , id go with czechs because they were smart enough to figure out the russians , as for swedes , well canadas mistakes caused them to lose . Czechs also have a better team , so there is my choice

I would like to see somebody betting for examle on betandwin. This match is unpredictable...
    Have you tried turning it off and on again?
    Better now?

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless one
    I would like to see somebody betting for examle on betandwin. This match is unpredictable...
    True!

I say Sweden. They are bound to make history. :drinker-g

IHF Member
    I have to vote for Sweden. True Dancan "Tre Kronor" want to make history. Also B- already proved his ability as a coach. Best when it counts. But it will be a close game. The Czechs is going up in shape and probably got a good self-confident after the wins over Russia and Finland.

IHF Prospect
    i voted for czechs but my heart fully for sweden!!! go and make history i don't care if you do it better than finland cause we won eurovision :drink2:

I'm going to be a wuss and not vote - too tough to call the winner on this one.

In Hockey everything can happen, but I think SWEDEN made double: Olympic Champions and WORLD CHAMPIONS!!! :drinker-g :drinker-g :drinker-g CONGRATULATIONS TO SWEDEN!!! :023:
    "Keep nothing in your house that you can't use or don't find beautiful" W.Morris :smart:

Yes, It was the Sweden Year indeed!

I dont dare say anything, i have been away from the TV too a few times, it's been nerveous... I cant even begin to describe what this gold means here in sweden.. It's surreal!!!

IHF Prospect
    same medallists by the way as in the olympics, but in different order..

game is not over yet but swedes will take it so congrats to our neighbours :claphands

i hope that one day finland will get another wc win to celebrate......... :083:
    and if that would come against sweden all the better (swedes are THE opponents to win it seems)

Congrats Sweden!

Year of Nordic countries in hockey!

Sweden: first to win olympic and IHWC gold in the same year
    Finland: first to win medals in all four tournaments in the same year: Olympics, IHWC, U20 IHWC and U18 IHWC.

Also the historic silver for Swedish women in Turin!
    "Lord Baelish, what you suggest is treason."
    "Only if we lose."

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

Congrats Sweden! Congrats Czech!
    Aqua jacta est

:yelclap: :yelclap: :yelclap: CONGRATULATIONS TO THE DOUBLE TEAM SWEDEN!!! :yelclap: :yelclap: :yelclap:

olympic gold and wc title in the same year - feels great, huh?! :023:

IHF Prospect

Congrats Sweden!

:bowdown:

Gratz Sweden.
    Better now?

Thanks everyone! :005: :claphands :drink2:

3% believed Tre kronor would win, a proof it's really tough to predict a winner.

This is the greatest achivement for swedish hockey thus far! :bowdown:

Congrats Sweden!

I hope this and the Olympics (both men's and women's results) will help hockey's position in Sweden relative to football!

A Truly Amazing Accomplishment - You have done what Canada and Soviet Union never managed to do. The Great Yellow Machine. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

I had hoped the Russia had been up there. The Russians of today are what Brazilian hockey was to football in the 80s.

But this is amazing. Denmark played for the 4th year in the IHWC without being relegated, and Sweden, my brother country, wrote history. :drinker-g

Indeed, The Great Yellow Machine, doesn't sound too intimidating, but it's a cool enough name atm. :003:

It is of course great and we're all happy for this double, but let's be honest too. This was a 'B'-tournament without many stars. I must say that it is disappointing with all the 'sudden' injuries from all the NHL-billionaires and divas (strangely the two teams most affected by these defections met in the final...). Furthermore, and I'm not speaking only for myself, people have largely ignored this tournament for two or maybe more reasons; Having WS every year in spring/summer is getting tiresome for all. We already won the 'Big' prize this year. The games have been sent on a more or less 'Donald Duck' channel with constant commercial breaks, even to the extent of missing out of important replays ( :mad: )

I'm all for cutting down on WS tournaments, why not have them every other year instead? For instance uneven years, with the Olympics you'll then still have big tournaments every year but the 4th.

Still :drink2: No question of who's the best now is it? :smart:

Congratulations to Sweden!!
    Buffalo Sabres: TPS : Milwaukee Admirals

Congratulations, it was definetly Tre Crunur year !
    Sad about Russia, Czechs an Kazakhsnan !

That was just superb!!! :yelclap: :yelclap: :yelclap:

Heja Sverige and the warmest congratulations for the historical double! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan
    constant commercial breaks, even to the extent of missing out of important replays ( :mad: )
    I know this is off topic, but yes DAMN Viasat!

Let me explain this to our non-Scandinavian members. Viasat owns the right to broadcast the IHWC -- at least in Sweden and Denmark.

Viasat started with one channel TV3 back in the late 1980s. I remember it as a pretty good tv channel with a nice Scandinavian focus. In the first half of the 90s, the Scandinavian focus disappeared as separate TV3 were created for Denmark, Norway and Sweden. In 1996 an extra channel, TV3 + was introduced, and in the last 5 years the Viasat package has been expanded to around 15 channels.

Now, in Denmark if you live in an appartment as I do at present, you basically buy a standard tv package. The composition of this package is decided by the viewers in the region where you live (in my case, greater Copenhagen).

The total package include around 30 channels of which I only watch around 10. If it was not for the IIHF World Championships, I could easily do without the Viasat channels included in the package: TV3, TV3 + and Viasat Sport 1 (but not Viasat Sport 2 + 3).

As the number of Viasat channels has increased, the content of the core channels (TV3 and TV3+) have degraded immensely. It seems that Viasat has spend a lot of money buying rights to sports events such as the European Football Champions League. This has left the cable network with little money to spend on other programs. So today, TV3 (and TV3+) almost exclusively broadcast cheap American soaps and equally cheap reality programs. It makes me wanna puke...and apparantly also a lot others too. For the viewer ratings of TV3 (and TV3+) have been plummeting. And low viewer ratings means less commercial revenue, and less commercial revenue means even cheaper programs. Well, you get the picture...

So, now we come to the short end of the long story, namely Viasats strategy to deal with this negative development. I know they have done something similar with football, but since I only watch hockey on the Viasat channels, I can only comment on what they have done here. Viasat's strategy has been two-pronged:

1. Knowing that the broadcasting from IHWC does attract more viewers than the average viasat programs, Viasat has stuffed the games from IHWC with commercial breaks (see Stefan's post) with the implications that we are missing a lot of highlights.

2. And starting from this year, Viasat is broadcasting nearly half of the games on Viasat Sport 3 to which you only have access if you buy a parabol, a decoder and the whole crappy Viasat package! :013:

And you can add this: Viasat Sport believes that golf is more popular than hockey. So on weekend afternoons and on Thursdays there would be no transmissions from Riga on Viasat Sport 1 or TV3+ (Viasat did not use TV3 for hockey) -- regardless of how important the hockey games were. This meant: 2 missed quarterfinals (Thursday) where Viasat chose to broadcast a tape from some insignificant golf tournament played earlier this year, and 1 missed semifinal (Finland vs Czechs). :013:

But one thing is sure: Regardless of how many games from IHWC, Viasat moves to Viasat Sport 3, they are never gonna get me to buy their craploaded tv package. :rant:

IHF Prospect
    wow.. that viasat thing sounds pretty f****** stupid to me.. :ignore:

luckily here in finland YLE was showing games (meaning no commersials) and they showed all the games either live or shortened from tape. :bowdown:

only thing that annoyed me was the studiohost :013: that red jacket and pink tie took my nerves :002:

Quote Originally Posted by Suomakia
    wow.. that viasat thing sounds pretty f****** stupid to me.. :ignore:

luckily here in finland YLE was showing games (meaning no commersials) and they showed all the games either live or shortened from tape. :bowdown:

only thing that annoyed me was the studiohost :013: that red jacket and pink tie took my nerves :002:
    You're damn right. And the Viasat package costs almost as much as standard cable network package + add the price for a decoder and a parabol.

Add to this: Viasat is violating the Danish broadcasting rules according to which Danish tv channels are not allowed to make commercial breaks inbetween programs. There can be no doubt that Viasat is a Danish tv channel: Danish tv hosts, crappy Danish reality programs with lots of nobodys who believe they get their 15 minutes of fame fooling around in programs that nobody watch, Danish subtitles that often make no sense because they were made in a hurry. Well, Viasat gets around the rules by broadcasting from another country (UK).

Add to this: Viasat is basically violating EBU and EU Broadcasting rules according to which the general public must be able to watch free-to-air events (including sports events) which are of major importance for the country. Being the second most popular spectator sport in Denmark, one could easily argue that Denmark's games from IHWC belong to that list as well of Denmark's national football team's qualifying games to the World Cup. Viasat owns the rights to both (although for football, only the qualifying games played abroad). In any case, TV3 and TV3+ have only 70% and 60% penetration (meaning that only 70% and 60% of the Danes are able to watch the channels) which is no way near the around 90% required.
    http://www.ebu.ch/departments/legal/...events_top.php

add to this: Viasat is violating the Danish commercial laws according to which a buy has the right to cancel a contract after 30 days. If you subscribe to Viasat you need to buy the package for one year. Personally, I might consider subscribing to Viasat in May where the IHWC takes place and then cancel the subscribtion for the reminder of the year, but Viasat prevents this. But perhaps not for long. The courts have already ruled that Viasat have violated the rules, but the cable network is dragging its feet by going from one court to another.

I have absolutely no respect for this company.
    :rant:
    Last edited by Karsten; 22-05-2006 at 18:48.

What Dancan says is true, I'm glad to hear our Danish friends view this matter similar to us. It is time the people got back their right to watch major sports events in public television, without pesky commercials and without having to pay ridicolous money in order to view crappy stations. We do after all still have the highest taxation in the World.

[ot]What amazes me though, is the fact that a large amount of people still watch and follows second or third rate american soaps and the horribly pathetic, so called, reality shows.[/ot]

Sorry for sounding a bit like a communist here, but one really gets fed up with this mess.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dancan
    A Truly Amazing Accomplishment - You have done what Canada and Soviet Union never managed to do. The Great Yellow Machine. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

I had hoped the Russia had been up there. The Russians of today are what Brazilian hockey was to football in the 80s.

But this is amazing. Denmark played for the 4th year in the IHWC without being relegated, and Sweden, my brother country, wrote history. :drinker-g
    there used to be no world championships the year of the olympics, i think that was changed in the late 80;s early 90;s. however congradulations to sweden for a great year. they played well as a team and deserved to win both gold medals.

Hello my cousin in Sundsvall!

You like to see me gongrating team Sweden, so here we go:

:claphands Sverige....

Happy now, Hans?

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz
    Congrats Sweden!

I hope this and the Olympics (both men's and women's results) will help hockey's position in Sweden relative to football!
    You can only hope! Its like everywhere else in the world except North America, its only about football/soccer, especially this year when its WC. Imagine when the Swedish national football team yesterday attended their first training together. 4000!!! people watched in the capital of the Gotland island, Visby.
    But hockey is still the 2nd team sport in Sweden and im sure it will not be smaller after this.

Nobody cares about soccer in the USA, except for the population of Hispanic background. It's a non-entity, practically. Amazing, huh?

Congratulations to Sweden on a truly incredible and dominant year!

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber
    Nobody cares about soccer in the USA, except for the population of Hispanic background. It's a non-entity, practically. Amazing, huh?
    Just one point-seems like nobody cares about hockey too. At least very few people. Two most played collective sports on the planet(mean summer/winter sports). I just dont understand you. Sorry. :(
    Better now?

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan
    Indeed, The Great Yellow Machine, doesn't sound too intimidating, but it's a cool enough name atm. :003:

It is of course great and we're all happy for this double, but let's be honest too. This was a 'B'-tournament without many stars. I must say that it is disappointing with all the 'sudden' injuries from all the NHL-billionaires and divas (strangely the two teams most affected by these defections met in the final...). Furthermore, and I'm not speaking only for myself, people have largely ignored this tournament for two or maybe more reasons; Having WS every year in spring/summer is getting tiresome for all. We already won the 'Big' prize this year. The games have been sent on a more or less 'Donald Duck' channel with constant commercial breaks, even to the extent of missing out of important replays ( :mad: )

I'm all for cutting down on WS tournaments, why not have them every other year instead? For instance uneven years, with the Olympics you'll then still have big tournaments every year but the 4th.

Still :drink2: No question of who's the best now is it? :smart:

So i've been told it was considered as a "B-tournament" due to the abscence of the many NHL stars. But since all teams had more or less equal distribution of stars, while the bulk of the teams was made up of mostly non stars. I think we got a pretty good look on which countries had the best pool of players, and perhaps future upcoming stars. It also gave alot of young players some experience on the international ice, which is really great. Because we cant be relying too much on our stars in the NHL, if we're undermanned of stars in the future we need experienced players from our own country. :045:

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrfingr
    So i've been told it was considered as a "B-tournament" due to the abscence of the many NHL stars. But since all teams had more or less equal distribution of stars, while the bulk of the teams was made up of mostly non stars. I think we got a pretty good look on which countries had the best pool of players, and perhaps future upcoming stars. It also gave alot of young players some experience on the international ice, which is really great. Because we cant be relying too much on our stars in the NHL, if we're undermanned of stars in the future we need experienced players from our own country. :045:
    Amen to that brother. I've been saying all along that our domestic league is better than what many thinks and what is viewed upon from the international community as well.
    Although I must also confess of being surprised by the show they put up after all. :)

Thread Information