Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who's your country's biggest rival?

Quote Originally Posted by David
    Romania( we have never beaten them), Croatia, Belgium

Ooohh, well i was expecting Hungary to consider us rivals, but Israel ... its weird. As for the Hungary games

Quote Originally Posted by Stats
    56. E 16.04.2003 Campionat mondial Div. I, Group A Budapesta, Ungaria 4 - 4
    57. P 13.11.2005 Skoda Cup, Budapesta, Ungaria 0 - 9
    58. P 18.12.2005 Euro Ice Hockey Challenge, Katowice, Polonia 1 - 10
    Im sure in those 2 years our federation did nothing whilst the hungarian one worked some more. But still you were 2 goals short of equaling the greatest difference of goals scored.

Quote Originally Posted by Stats
    35. C 07.12.1984 Amical Sofia, Bulgaria 14 - 3
    Thought you wouldnt be reminded ? :devileek:

IHF Member
    Hungarian hockey was nowhere near the romanian hockey in the '60s, '70s and '80s. In the '90s the two teams became equal. But for sure, for many fans, still Romania is considered to be our main rival.

Quote Originally Posted by aimbo
    56. E 16.04.2003 Campionat mondial Div. I, Group A Budapesta, Ungaria 4 - 4
    57. P 13.11.2005 Skoda Cup, Budapesta, Ungaria 0 - 9
    I saw both games. In the first one, team Hungary had to pull goalie number #1, Levente Szuper to equalize in the very last minute (Ocskay -who else- scored the equalizer). More than two years later goalie number #3 of team Hungary, Gergely Bernei had a shutout, and team Hungary scored 9 goals against Romania. I really hope things will get better there, and the two teams will play good, entertaining, close games in the future (in Pool 'A' maybe :003: ).

Quote Originally Posted by aimbo
    35. C 07.12.1984 Amical Sofia, Bulgaria 14 - 3
    I hope we will take revenge for that this year in Div.I. WC, in Slovenia. :devileek:
    „HOCKEY IS WHERE WE LIVE

Life is just a place where we spend time between games”

Quote Originally Posted by Krisz
    Hungarian hockey was nowhere near the romanian hockey in the '60s, '70s and '80s. In the '90s the two teams became equal. But for sure, for many fans, still Romania is considered to be our main rival.
    History again.

Quote Originally Posted by Krisz
    I hope we will take revenge for that this year in Div.I. WC, in Slovenia. :devileek:
    Ok. I admit it. We are playing bad, but not that bad :smart:

And indeed im also looking for entertaining games, but if we look at the future you'll still have the upper hand for a couple more generations, unless Csomortani (GK -U18) proves to be what he showed in all games last season. (ask the Israel team about him :036: ).

And rivalry rivalry but i do wish you get to organize the World Championship sometime soon, as travel and hotel expenses would be so much cheaper :drink2:

IHF Member
    we are our own rivals
    slovenia is too much for our national team, on a club level it becomes a bit more closer. game btw. medvescak and olimpija-jesenice are close...so they are kinda a rivals, but they wouldnt admit it. olimpija usually lose in zagreb... (7-0 ;P)
    there arent any other regional rivals...we got nothing against hungarians, so they are boring and cant bring people to icehalls or to any other sport except waterpolo...only maybe on interliga playoffs (like alba volan and dac 2 seasons ago).
    serbs can but they are too week (last time medvescak won vr partizan sth like 23-1. no fun in that)

if we had money in hockey it would be slovenia, but now...south korea maybe, australia...dunno

dont see israel as a rival, and whey they consider us as their rivals...

IHF Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by jokke_wiberg
    we are our own rivals
    slovenia is too much for our national team, on a club level it becomes a bit more closer. game btw. medvescak and olimpija-jesenice are close...so they are kinda a rivals, but they wouldnt admit it. olimpija usually lose in zagreb... (7-0 ;P)
    there arent any other regional rivals...we got nothing against hungarians, so they are boring and cant bring people to icehalls or to any other sport except waterpolo...only maybe on interliga playoffs (like alba volan and dac 2 seasons ago).
    serbs can but they are too week (last time medvescak won vr partizan sth like 23-1. no fun in that)

if we had money in hockey it would be slovenia, but now...south korea maybe, australia...dunno

dont see israel as a rival, and whey they consider us as their rivals...
    You guys are more like our rival, maybe China also.

Canada's biggest rival is Russia.
    Who I like to beat the most are the Czechs. :lektor:

Umm...the US really has no rival, though I guess you could say Canada since we're neighbors :D. Although they usually win :mad: , and I'd like to beat 'em. As for other nations, the Swedes and Finns are huge rivals, and the Russians and Canadians are also big rivals. The Kazakhs, Latvians, and Czechs are sort of rivals with the Russkies because of old USSR resentment, and don't like being beaten by the Russians. Is there any rivalry between the Czechs and Slovaks? I was curious since they used to play together as one team before Czechoslovakia split.
    The Finns WILL beat the Swedes in the 2010 Olympics! Mutta odota ensi keralle! (But wait till next time!)

For the US, it's Canada. Russia is second.

In other sports it's Mexico for soccer, Cuba for baseball, and Lithuania for basketball, at least I think so. I've heard others, but US-Lithuania games for some reason always are pretty close and heated.

Quote Originally Posted by DontGoInThere

In other sports it's Lithuania for basketball, at least I think so. I've heard others, but US-Lithuania games for some reason always are pretty close and heated.
    Yes, the US and Lithuania do seem to be rivals in basketball. We lost to them in the Athens Olympics, and that may have been what fueled it.
    The Finns WILL beat the Swedes in the 2010 Olympics! Mutta odota ensi keralle! (But wait till next time!)

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Chief
    with the Russkies because of old USSR resentment
    Hockey Chief in a few posts you've used the word Russkies. We have a fair amount of Russian members here on the forum who may (or may not) be offended by that term.

We really strive on IHG to refrain from denigrating another nation whether intentional or not. Thanks!
    Last edited by Brimsek; 10-09-2006 at 03:08.
    Buffalo Sabres: TPS : Milwaukee Admirals

Oh sorry....I didn't know they'd find that offensive.

Lets see and look in the crystal ball..............US biggest rivals in hockey for me is Canada, Czech Republic, and Sweden. I always interpeted Americans as trying to be better than the best.
    "By Soviet standards I'd always been considered an offensive centerman. Phil Esposito and Bobby Clarke forced me to play a more defensive style. The experience made me a better all around player," -Vladimir Petrov commenting after the 1972 Summit Series

MY BASKETBALL RESEARCH WEBSITE:
    http://92mensolympicbball.webs.com

RUGBY WORLD CUP 2015 QUALIFYING STATISTICS:
    http://www.freewebs.com/rugbystats/RWC2015Q.xlsx

well, on two different points:

I think EVERYONE wants to be better than the best. Why compete if you don't want to win? Yes, some nations play internationally to help develop as well, but winning is always a goal.

Secondly, if some Yank wants to call me a crazy Canuck or whatever, I certainly won't take offense, nor do I think the other Canadians will either.... as long as there's no obvious offensive intent, at any rate. Though I do understand the rule as it is applied.. well, I'll end it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Steigs
    Secondly, if some Yank wants to call me a crazy Canuck or whatever, I certainly won't take offense, nor do I think the other Canadians will either.... as long as there's no obvious offensive intent, at any rate. Though I do understand the rule as it is applied.. well, I'll end it here.
    Agreed Steigs. I certainly don't think that Hockey Chief was intentionally trying to insult our Russian members. But unfortunately we've had members in the past who have been anti-somebody. We simply can't and won't have that on this board.

I simply pointed it out so we are clear.
    Buffalo Sabres: TPS : Milwaukee Admirals

Quote Originally Posted by Brimsek
    Agreed Steigs. I certainly don't think that Hockey Chief was intentionally trying to insult our Russian members. But unfortunately we've had members in the past who have been anti-somebody. We simply can't and won't have that on this board.

I simply pointed it out so we are clear.
    Yeah, I got no qualms. Just to say that if somebody says something about THIS crazy Canuck anyway, I'll probably just laugh at it. Self-deprecation makes the world such a better place to live.... but now I've gone and thrown this thread all off-topic.

PS: now it's time to go make mac & cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by Brimsek
    I certainly don't think that Hockey Chief was intentionally trying to insult our Russian members.
    Of course I wasn't trying to insult the Russians. I just had no idea they might find that offensive. So sorry, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Steigs
    Yeah, I got no qualms. Just to say that if somebody says something about THIS crazy Canuck anyway, I'll probably just laugh at it. Self-deprecation makes the world such a better place to live.... but now I've gone and thrown this thread all off-topic.

PS: now it's time to go make mac & cheese.
    Velveeta mac and cheese is the best lol.
    Mac and cheese is my favortie food.
    "By Soviet standards I'd always been considered an offensive centerman. Phil Esposito and Bobby Clarke forced me to play a more defensive style. The experience made me a better all around player," -Vladimir Petrov commenting after the 1972 Summit Series

MY BASKETBALL RESEARCH WEBSITE:
    http://92mensolympicbball.webs.com

RUGBY WORLD CUP 2015 QUALIFYING STATISTICS:
    http://www.freewebs.com/rugbystats/RWC2015Q.xlsx

IHF Prospect
    For italians the hugest rivals are Austria and Germany.but i can also say so about Slovenia,France and Denmark ....they have almost the same level of hockey like Italy.Now Italy is strong like Germany not more not less.

You can see wonderfull pictures and videos about italian national team on our website :censored:
    Last edited by Aldair; 05-12-2006 at 22:55.

IHF Member
    Biggest rival for France is without doubt Switzerland. Despising comments from Swiss side (especially press and fans) towards French hockey fuel the rivalry.
    In the 80s, when Kjell Larsson started to coach France, he lost 1-8 against French B-team and the article from Swiss press was a masterwork. Describing French team as a bunch of beggars who couldn't play any hockey and couldn't even have proper clothes, it was used as a motivator in later years.
    France had never defeated Switzerland at this point, it changed dramatically in a few years. French players liked a lot beating the overpaid Swiss players with their best league and best comfort, but less heart. Every loss to France (there were "some of them" in the 90s) is a pain for Switzerland. It is more unlikely to happen now, especially as Krueger's Switzerland plays more physical, but finding a way to defeat Switzerland again would bring back the old spirit to French team.

There are no other rivalries. I wish there could have one against Italy, but it's not true. In the 90s when France liked to resist to the top nations they didn't play with the same mood against Italy and always lost. It's a game which never seems to be played with full heart, unlike against Switzerland.

The opponents France struggles the most : all former Soviet nations. Russia is the only country (with Finland) France never defeated. It took a while to beat Ukraine, and results against Belarus were always bad after first Izvestia win. Not to mention the nightmarish Olympic qualfying game lost against Kazakhstan, which cost Turin OG...
    That's the way it crumbles, cookie-wise

IHF Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc
    ... Not to mention the nightmarish Olympic qualfying game lost against Kazakhstan, which cost Turin OG...
    The nightmare wasn't a game involving Kazakhstan...it was a two game nightmare involving France and Ukraine.
    Just depends on whose nightmare it is :shockey68

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information