Thread: Playing in Australia?

Australia Playing in Australia?

What i must to do that i can come play in your league?

IHF Member
    Hello, you'll need to organise an ITC card from your current club to a club over here. We have 8 teams, 6 of them play with 5 imports and the two newer teams play with 6.

Contact the teams and see if they want you over to try out.

If you want some help, there's several Finns currently playing here in Australia. I can get one of them to contact you for an insight.

Message me if you need further help.

how much teams cost to players?

IHF Member
    Players typically get their accomodation and transport to and from games covered by teams, along with motel stays while out of town.
    As the league is not yet professional the teams just do their best to take on as much costs as possible for the players.

IHF Prospect

canadian hockey

I am a 23 year old Canadian looking for a chance to play in Australia. I play hockey everyday and take it very seriously. I am 6 foot 3 and 190 pounds, the summer club I was on I tallied 50+ points in 20 games. This was at a junior level. I am not currently playing for anyone up here and would really enjoy a chance to show my skill. I guarantee I would make a great addition to any team. I play with a lot of NHLers up here in calgary ab, Canada.

Thanks to anyone who can help with my situation. It is very hard to find a pro hockey team to play on when you are 23.

Thanks again Justin.

IHF Prospect
    Hey
    do you think it could be possible for me to become australian citizen and take a place in their national under-20 team for the u20 world championship in 2008, or would it be easier to gain a spot in any other team?

i've never played real hockey (well okay, i've been on a hockey training one time), but i've skated some and played hockey on the street with friends and so..also playing floorball (a little bit like hockey, but no skates or pads and so..)
    born late 88 so 18 years right now
    3 of my 4 siblings have all played hockey and 2 of them is still playing.. the one who haven't played was figure skating before.. and also my mother have played. so you can say i've got it a bit in my genes

yes, i realize the players are probably a bit better than me, but i do think that it won't be impossible for me to become good enough for the team in a year.. but then, i've got no clue how good your national under-20 team is so..

so what do you say, will it be totally impossible for me to play a world junior championship or should i try to come to your country to become your next hockey star ;)
    :nr:

.... how i hope you're joking.

http://iha.org.au/overseas.asp

There's your first step. In all reality, I'd say go back in time a few years and join Armenia's program. Australia is a far cry from Sweden in hockey, but there's plenty of talent there on both senior and junior levels. India or Pakistan might need players for the South Asian Winter Games...
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

Quote Originally Posted by KazakhEagles
    http://iha.org.au/overseas.asp

There's your first step. In all reality, I'd say go back in time a few years and join Armenia's program. Australia is a far cry from Sweden in hockey, but there's plenty of talent there on both senior and junior levels. India or Pakistan might need players for the South Asian Winter Games...
    hahahahaha

I would rather suggest maybe Argentina. Surely in about 5 years when they're ready to compete internationally you might have worked yourself to a level where you'll be able to as well. :D

IHF Member
    You guys said it all for me.
    Aussie U20 reps now are about Junior B level in Canada, and play/train a few times a week. I think you missed the U20 bus, slinger.

Quote Originally Posted by canadahockey View Post
    I am a 23 year old Canadian looking for a chance to play in Australia. I play hockey everyday and take it very seriously. I am 6 foot 3 and 190 pounds, the summer club I was on I tallied 50+ points in 20 games. This was at a junior level. I am not currently playing for anyone up here and would really enjoy a chance to show my skill. I guarantee I would make a great addition to any team. I play with a lot of NHLers up here in calgary ab, Canada.

Thanks to anyone who can help with my situation. It is very hard to find a pro hockey team to play on when you are 23.

Thanks again Justin.

bro did u play juniors in the alberta league teir 2? msg me man i mite be able to help you

IHF Prospect
    I dont know if any people are reading this but Im planning to go overseas and play in australia with a friend.. Im a goaltender and he's a center. We both recently played in the senior div.2 in sweden.

By the way when does the season start over there? Peace!

IHF Member

Australia

The Following information is from the official AIHL website at http://theaihl.com.au

If you're looking to play this year you're probably too late. Most teams will have finalised their imports by now and with 1 team out and only 4 imports on the ice for each team now, that means that there will probaly be about 35 imports in the league this year total, where last year it was around 50.

http://www.theaihl.com.au/leagues/cu...56&pageID=3440

AIHL - Australian Ice Hockey League: About/Playing in the AIHL
    About the AIHL

The Australian Ice Hockey League is the biggest ice hockey league in the Southern Hemisphere, with seven teams from across the states of New South Wales (3), Queensland, Victoria, South Australia and Australian Capital Territory.

These seven teams cover the majority of Australia’s population centres, all being coastal with the exception of the ACT-based Canberra Knights. The six coastal teams are the Adelaide A’s, Melbourne Ice, Western Sydney Ice Dogs, Bears (Sydney), Newcastle North Stars and the Gold Coast Blue Tongues.

The league is based on each team playing two games at home and away with each of the other teams, for a total of 24 games each. The league runs through the Australian winter from April to August/September. Although winter, the temperature is typically quite mild in comparison to North America and Europe.

Playing in the AIHL

Players are not paid but do get assistance from their teams, this differs from team to team but can include covering costs such as meals and accommodation while travelling, flights to away games, bus travel to away games, accommodation, access to a car, work contacts or job search assistance and more.

As of 2009, each team may retain six import players (non-Australia permanent residents or citizens) at any time, but may play only four in any one game. Import players are supported more than local players due to the challenges they face in arriving into a foreign country for a relatively short period of time.

The AIHL started in 2000 with three teams, expanded to six teams in 2002, and to eight teams in 2005. Consideration has been given to the possibility of teams from Western Australia or New Zealand, but travel costs are prohibitive at present. The Central Coast Rhinos have not entered the AIHL in 2009.

Competition Level

The AIHL is difficult to compare with overseas leagues due to the large variation in quality of players. Most teams run three lines, the firstly line mostly import players, the second line the best Australian players, and the third line often local junior players.

In early days imports were typically Junior A or Junior B players. In today’s AIHL professional players are common, with experience up to and including the NHL, AHL, ECHL, LNAH, SPHL, UK’s EIHL, Sweden’s Allsvenskan and more.

Many of the best Aussie players are in or have been members of the Australian national team, who won Gold in 2008 and promotion into the world of professional players in Division I.

Joining a Team

Most teams do their recruiting from December to March, with occasional players being picked up in early April due to injuries or drop-outs. To apply to a team you will need to phone or email the appropriate team’s General Manager with a hockey resume.

Once you arrange to join a team and arrive in Australia your team will assist you in registering as a player in Australia, including the purchase of an ITC card through the IIHF.

Please contact your preferred team directly:

Adelaide Adrenaline: John Botterill - johnb.icearena@icearena.com.au
    Canberra Knights: John Raut - swimskate@bigpond.com
    Gold Coast Blue Tongues: Dave Emblem - dave@bluetongues.com.au
    Melbourne Ice: Josh Puls - info@melbourneice.com
    Newcastle North Stars: Garry Doré - manager@northstars.com.au
    Western Sydney Ice Dogs: Anthony Wilson - jw1939@optusnet.com.au
    The Bears: Gabriel Robledo - gabriel@itworx.com.au

Thread Information