Thread: Why Swedish clubs don't play seriously ECC?

IHF Member

Why Swedish clubs don't play seriously ECC?

ECC 2005: Avangard Omsk-HV71 9-0...
    ECC 2006: Davos-Frolunda 6-2...

In my opinion these results aren't "real" for the quality of swedish rosters... what can you think about?

IHF Member
    This is a subject that makes me angry so I will try to be calm.

In short it is because people in Sweden, club chiefs, fans and media know(that's right they know) that the Swedish league is the best in Europe. Therefore European competition is not interesting.

So basically they live in a fantasy world and aren't prepared to face reality.

IHF Member
    As I thought. Infact, I heard a "rumour" that FBK would prefer to play the Spengler Cup 2006... instead of ECC 2007. In my opinion this "swedish attitude" is really really negative, because in this way they discredit european competitions at all.
    No swedish effort = less attention at the ECC = in some years no more Supersix...
    It's mine only a catastrophic thought? I don't think... :shakehead

Sounds like an excuse to me... If youre so stroung youre telling, prove it wherever or whatever tournament anyone provide! Or if you feel like all those euro tournaments are worthless, keep livin in your dream world.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakaarnis
    Sounds like an excuse to me... If youre so stroung youre telling, prove it wherever or whatever tournament anyone provide! Or if you feel like all those euro tournaments are worthless, keep livin in your dream world.
    I completely agree. If you think your league is the best, you would want to prove it at every oppurtunity. When you are beaten so badly, people should question how good your league is in comparison.* If they don't really want to be there, why not just give the spot to the champion of the next highest World Ranking's league? I wouldn't complain if both NLA and DEL champions took it seriously at the expense of an uninterested Elitserien champ.

*The 9-0 smashing of HV71 was with backup and then-18 year old Magnus Akerlund in goal, not national teamer Stefan Liv. But still, if you are so sure of having the best league, shouldn't you have at least scored a goal or your #2 goalie keep the opponent under 5 goals?
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

If the Swedes pulled out of the ECC then i wouldn't be surprised if the Czechs did the same and then the whole thing is devalued. Either that or there would just be no cup at all.

Teams from these countries were not interested in the Continental Cup when it was the only Euro-club competition (forget invitational Spengler Cup).

Quote Originally Posted by Fredrik
    This is a subject that makes me angry so I will try to be calm.

In short it is because people in Sweden, club chiefs, fans and media know(that's right they know) that the Swedish league is the best in Europe. Therefore European competition is not interesting.

So basically they live in a fantasy world and aren't prepared to face reality.
    A very odd attitude. Even if their league was the best (at least they are very close), it doesn't mean that their top team is the best in Europe. Look at the Champions League in Football. Teams from Portugal, Holland and France have won it even if their domestic leagues aren't even in the top 4 European leagues.

If the Swedish champion was to win all of their games in ECC for three years running or so, maybe then they could declare to be to good for the tourney and drop out. But at the moment it's the Russians that are the closest to taking a triple...
    "Lord Baelish, what you suggest is treason."
    "Only if we lose."

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

Yes, I'm agree also. I was pretty sure the the swedish league couldn't be compared with russian or finnish one... And it's all becouse of their poor playing on ECC.
    Such things are decreasing the prestige of swedish clubs hockey in the world.

IHF Member
    I'd give a chance to German clubs (Germany is at the moment the first nation out of ECC) instead of Swedish'. At least they'd fight, and Berlin (DEL champ) has often declared to have a great interest in ECC. On the other part an exclusion of Swedish clubs would decrease ECC "importance"

IHF Member
    Sweden Elitleauge are maybe the strongest leauge in Europe. Look att Swedens roster in the world championship 17 players was from the leauge and one from the second leauge. The Sweden leauge stands strong.

In old times Sweden teams cared about to be European Champions, Both Djurgården(Stockholm and MIF(Malmoe) have been european champions in the begining of the 90:s and fight hard to win.

Its a big shame that sweden teams dont care any more, its bad for hockey in Europe if a hockey superpower like Sweden dont care about the European championship. I dont think Sweden will pull out of ECC but it will take time before teams from Sweden will take it seriuos.

In Sweden people, fans, media, hockeyclubs and hockeyplayers all think that the finest ting you can win in European clubcompetion in hockey are the Sweden championship. This atityd will be stronger after the gold in IHWC.

IHF Member
    About this subject from an other hockey forum...

"Because the ECC is a joke of a tournament, more of a disturbance than anything else. Thats why Swedish teams play half-heartedly and use plenty of juniors.

If I were a fan of the swedish team that had to play in that tournament I'd be angry if they wasted precious energy on those games, or even worse, sustained injuries to key players."

This confirms what we said... :090:

I hope the rising prize money will get the Swedish teams take the tourney more seriously. Two won games (final spot) brings about 100.000 € I think and of course winning the final might even double that.

Pretty good money for a long weekend...
    "Lord Baelish, what you suggest is treason."
    "Only if we lose."

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shardik
    Pretty good money for a long weekend...
    Infact...

Look, I agree that it is a shame about how Swedish clubs treat the ECC (and the Continentl Cup, for that matter). Swedish clubs should definitely want to show that the Elitserien is the best as they claim it is.

Then again, this is professional hockey we are talking about. Money talks, and nothing else matters.

When the prize pool is big enough, they'll start to care. Especially if the clubs start marketing it to their fans as "Hey, come down and support our bid to win the ECC - the prize winnings would be enough to allow us to sign one (or a few) top notch, world class free agents."

IHF Member
    Davos 6-2 Frolunda
    Weren't Frolunda hit by injuries for that game?? or was that theire excuse??

IHF Member
    Bring in the old EHL. That was a great cup. Will never forget the games against Modo,Feldreich, Zug, Moscow and so on at Jordal and Spektrum in Oslo.

Thread Information