Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Asian League 2006/07 Discussion

Québecois had put these in Eurohockey.net but I didn't see them in this thread:
    Bud Smith (F) HC Bolzano -> Kangwon Land
    Tim Smith (D) EHC Freibrug -> Kangwon Land

Brothers? Seem like very good additions to Kangwon. Bud was MVP in ECHL 2002-03 with most points and assists in the league that season while Tim was the top scorer of ECHL in 2003-04. Tim even has 33 AHL games. Both have played in Europe with good stats in 2nd Bundesliga (both), Austrian Nationalliga and Serie A (Bud). Both have about a point per game average during their careers.

Apparently they have never before played for the same club. I feel that these guys can make things happen for Kangwon.

PS. In Kangwon's first game both scored a goal and Bud added an assist.

PS2. Zdenek Nedved plays for Anyang Halla? He just had a stint with Kärpät Oulu a couple of years ago. It's odd how many familiar players play in Asia League.

Maybe someone could compile the team rosters (and logos and such) here the way they are in other league threads? (I know they are on the website but it would be nice to have them here too in a nice package).
    "Lord Baelish, what you suggest is treason."
    "Only if we lose."

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

IHF Member

Changchun Fuao

well, they've some new players this season....

born: 1966, 1968, 1969, 1964, 1964, 1967, 1976, 1976, 1976, 1972, 1979, 1966, 1967, 1972, 1970, 1968, 1966...... :005:

I'm sure, Changchun Fuao is definitelly the oldest team in the AIHL this year :nr:

Is the whole Managment playing??????? :seeingsta :scratchhe :confused0 :stupid: :crazylaug
    Cheers, Franco

Québecois, where did you find the PIM? :shockey68

Quote Originally Posted by diabolik
    Québecois, where did you find the PIM? :shockey68
    There are official game sheet on AL site...

http://www.alhockey.com/sheet/7/game/ogs8.html

thanks Québécois, by moment, i think i'm stupid. I never had the idea to click on the right of "score/game sheet" page :shakehead

it's a good thing for team Hosa to have its czech trio : 27 points in 4 games.

Icon107

Hey everyone.

I have separated the results into a new thread to keep things a bit tidy.

Hopefully, we can also get more members from from these countries - to everyone here, please pimp :002: this site to other Asian League hockey fans, who along with Tokyo Bucks can attend these games and give us even more feedback!

it's hard to find asian hockey fans...

i'm trying with my ICQ, but no real success :shakehead :090:

IHF Prospect
    I live in America so you can say I was influenced.

Kangwon split the two game series in Kushiro, Japan against the regular season champions the Cranes. They won the first game 3-1 which looked promising (though the Cranes are missing some players to injury), but it looks like the Cranes woke up and won the second game 6-1. Still, Kangwon looks to be a much improved squad (they weren't bad last year either, losing lots of close games), and I look forward to seeing them in the Tokyo area when they visit.

A good power play (not like the first game) and a good goalie permited to Cranes to win "easily".

Kangwon Land is the real danger for all the japanese teams : they did good games against Oji even if they lost, but the defense seems to be a little bit weak.

Highlight videos available here:

http://streaming.yahoo.co.jp/p/t/00202/v00511/

Browser : Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 and above
    Software : Windows Media Player 9.0 and above

Great stuff Tokyo Bucks.. but where do I click to start the video? Unfortunatly my japanese sucks and I'm lost in space...

I have XP, IE 6.0, WMP 10
    Ice Hockey Iceland - www.ihi.is
    Nordic Vikings - www.nordicvikings.com
    Nyköpings Hockey - www.nykopingshockey.se

i have the same problem :scratchhe

i clicked a lot and i didn't found

Really? They won't let me play the video on my Firefox, but I had no problems with my IE6. I don't think they care about your IP address, and when I played the video on my IE I wasn't logged into Yahoo Japan, so that's not required either. It's the big play button on the right hand side of the video picture.

seen in the AL site :

Viewing from outside Japan will be able soon.
    We will announce the date when the date is fixed.

i can wait :003:

Ah, sorry about that.

From the games today (thanks diabolik)

Kangwon Land - Hosa 3-1 (1-0/0-1/2-0)
    06.40: 1-0 MOREN Pontus (MCKENNA Steve, KIM Kyu-Hyun) PP2
    31.54: 1-1 HUBACEK Jiri (HRUBY Tomas)
    52.01: 2-1 MOREN Pontus (SMITH Bud, KIM Kyu-Hyun)
    55.11: 3-1 SMITH Bud (MOREN Pontus, LEE Myoung-Woo) PP
    SON Ho-Seong 1/18
    LIU Xue 3/49
    PIM : 12x2'+5x5'+5x20' - 18x2'+3x5'+1x10'+3x20'+1x25'
    Att : 390
    http://www.alhockey.com/sheet/7/game/ogs43.html

Wow, is that 9 players thrown out of the game?!? What's the difference between 20 min game misconduct and 25 min match penalty in terms of the cause?

I think Hosa (was Harbin last year) had some similarly rough games last season as well. Some of those guys need to keep their emotions in check. This was especially unfortunate because Hosa took a point from Kangwon Land the day before, that's their first point that's not from their fellow Chinese and league doormat Changchun (was Qiqihar).

I've seen there are dozens of Chinese Tvs available on streaming, broadcasting any kind of sport (soccer,volley,badminton,golf etc). I guess if is possible to find and watch also AL....:scratchhe

Québécois, where do you find these channels?? i am interessed by soccer games.

Tokyo Bucks, no idea.
    i didn't think that chinese players are so aggressive :037:

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Bucks
    From the games today (thanks diabolik)

Kangwon Land - Hosa 3-1 (1-0/0-1/2-0)
    06.40: 1-0 MOREN Pontus (MCKENNA Steve, KIM Kyu-Hyun) PP2
    31.54: 1-1 HUBACEK Jiri (HRUBY Tomas)
    52.01: 2-1 MOREN Pontus (SMITH Bud, KIM Kyu-Hyun)
    55.11: 3-1 SMITH Bud (MOREN Pontus, LEE Myoung-Woo) PP
    SON Ho-Seong 1/18
    LIU Xue 3/49
    PIM : 12x2'+5x5'+5x20' - 18x2'+3x5'+1x10'+3x20'+1x25'
    Att : 390
    http://www.alhockey.com/sheet/7/game/ogs43.html

Wow, is that 9 players thrown out of the game?!? What's the difference between 20 min game misconduct and 25 min match penalty in terms of the cause?

I think Hosa (was Harbin last year) had some similarly rough games last season as well. Some of those guys need to keep their emotions in check. This was especially unfortunate because Hosa took a point from Kangwon Land the day before, that's their first point that's not from their fellow Chinese and league doormat Changchun (was Qiqihar).
    Wow!

Funny enough, that reminds me of this sarcastic post, after many penalties in a Russia-Sweden game:
    http://www.internationalhockeygang.o...0350#post10350 :005:

Well, that's
    149' Kangwon Land
    146' Hosa

It has that Russia-Sweden game beat in terms of total penalty minutes :stupid:

Québécois, where do you find these channels?? i am interessed by soccer games.

Tokyo Bucks, no idea.
    i didn't think that chinese players are so aggressive :037:

Look here Also NHL is available

Gee, the rematch following the ugly game between Hosa and Kangwon Land didn't go any better eh. 171 total penalty minutes with 5 players given game misconducts or match penalties. Hosa appeared to have been the rougher and/or instigator of the two with having being assessed more penalties, and the extra match penalty.

Hey, Hosa beat the Bucks on both games in Beijing by scores of 2-1 and 4-1. And Hosa outshot the Bucks in both games, making them look like sound beatings. This either bodes well for Hosa, or very poorly for the Bucks, or is most likely a combination of both.

Hosa has 13 points in 19 games and Bucks have 21 points in 16 games in the race for the last playoff spot. Hosa does have the advantage of an easier schedule where they get to beat upon perennial doormats Changchun (was Qiqihar) for two extra games while the Bucks face the tough Japanese teams two extra times each.

When you see Icebucks away results, The Bucks don't like long travel. They lost much, except against Changchun.

And the czech players of Hosa did a good job for these two victories, i'm happy for this chinese team :023:

Yeah, Hosa (Harbin the last two years) is capable of surprising stronger teams on occasion. I just wish they could gain some consistency. Changchun (Qiqihar) seems to be hopeless as usual.

I went to see the Halla vs Seibu game at Higashifushimi in Tokyo today. Halla put up a good fight despite dressing only 13 skaters (only 15 were listed on the official game sheet). It was good to see Team Japan veteran Ryan Fujita (Kiyoshi) back in the lineup creating good chances, big man Prpic had two goals where one was an absolutely clean deke on a breakaway he sure doesn't skate like a big man. If Halla had more than 13 skaters, they very well could have taken some points on this Honshu road trip of theirs right now, I don't know why they dressed so few skaters. This league is just baffling sometimes.

So, I thought that would be the biggest surprise of the day but I was wrong. The Bucks-Changchun game in Kobe had a massive bench clearing brawl in the 2nd period, then the refs called the period to sort out the penalties. When play was supposed to resume Changchun didn't come back onto the ice, so they officially forfeited the game which was the first time it happened in Asia League (it never happened in the Japan League either).
    http://www.alhockey.com/sheet/7/game/ogs84.html

You can see some pictures from this blog of a guy who went to the game here:
    http://kickoffkansai.blog69.fc2.com/blog-entry-197.html

Not good for hockey in the region at all...

IHF Member
    I went to see the Halla vs Seibu game at Higashifushimi in Tokyo today. Halla put up a good fight despite dressing only 13 skaters (only 15 were listed on the official game sheet). It was good to see Team Japan veteran Ryan Fujita (Kiyoshi) back in the lineup creating good chances, big man Prpic had two goals where one was an absolutely clean deke on a breakaway he sure doesn't skate like a big man. If Halla had more than 13 skaters, they very well could have taken some points on this Honshu road trip of theirs right now, I don't know why they dressed so few skaters. This league is just baffling sometimes.

So, I thought that would be the biggest surprise of the day but I was wrong. The Bucks-Changchun game in Kobe had a massive bench clearing brawl in the 2nd period, then the refs called the period to sort out the penalties. When play was supposed to resume Changchun didn't come back onto the ice, so they officially forfeited the game which was the first time it happened in Asia League (it never happened in the Japan League either).

heh..... chinese-japanese friendship.... :023: well, sometimes, this happens in ice hockey....

is the score now official forfeit, or is the official decision still outstanding?
    Cheers, Franco

Weird....

But let me guess...it was all over the news displaying hockey as a barbarian sport?

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz
    Weird....

But let me guess...it was all over the news displaying hockey as a barbarian sport?
    I'll put 15 US dollars on yes... Heh, so much for those of us who thought the Asia League was soft. Any idea what caused that to break out in the first place?
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

hum... we can see in the game sheet that the two goalies of Changchun Fuao took both 5'+20' (game misconduct) , it's hard to continue the game :003:

hum... we can see in the game sheet that the two goalies of Changchun Fuao took both 5'+20' (game misconduct) , it's hard to continue the game :003:
    In that case teams are allowed to dress a skater in goalie equipment. However I can see how at that level it would be easier to stomach a forfeit.

Yeah, having both goalies ejected was probably why they forfeited the game. But why would the second goalie jump into a brawl like that? (Unless he's directly fighting another goalie :P ) Don't know enough about the details of the brawl, but it seems odd.

I've been too busy to catch conventional news to see if it got any coverage (AL usually gets no coverage in mainstream news, except for the finals). But the brawl news item did pop up in places like the most popular SNS in Japan, so the only hockey news non-fans were treated to was an old stereotype of brawling (doesn't help that the Japanese "nickname" for the sport is "hyojo no kakutogi" meaning "martial arts on ice").

goalies are people too..... meaning they do stupid things for stupid reasons.
    still, having two goalies ejected is rare. very. *sigh*

Here's a video of the brawl in question. Those Chinese guys need to learn how to fight properly, there's a lot of ganging up on Bucks players. Then again, doesn't look like the Bucks came off the bench to protect their teammates.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=TuOBz5udLfY

That 5-on-1 shit is disgusting.
    That being said, you can also tell that the Bucks players on the ice weren't their North American players (except for maybe one guy who seemed to hold his own alright). I tell you... if I'm on the bench and the entire other team goes on to gang up on my boys, I'm jumping in there and breaking some faces.

Quote Originally Posted by Steigs
    That 5-on-1 shit is disgusting.
    I tell you... if I'm on the bench and the entire other team goes on to gang up on my boys, I'm jumping in there and breaking some faces.
    Disgusting is also a term I apply to the entire bench clearing thing. Let the big boys on each team find each other and let them slug it out and then feel shame. There's no need for the entire squad out there. At least, the fight petered out pretty quickly though.

If I'm on the bench I probably walk over to the backup goalie, grab him by the shoulders and keep him there. Half the team is going to the showers, if we have a goalie the team might not forfeit so he gets playing time and I'm getting ice time while I can! Is it a penalty if I skate out onto the ice and start doing the Ontkean striptease? Wait, I don't even want to see that, yeah, I'll keep the goalie occupied.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

Quote Originally Posted by KazakhEagles
    Disgusting is also a term I apply to the entire bench clearing thing. Let the big boys on each team find each other and let them slug it out and then feel shame. There's no need for the entire squad out there. At least, the fight petered out pretty quickly though.

If I'm on the bench I probably walk over to the backup goalie, grab him by the shoulders and keep him there. Half the team is going to the showers, if we have a goalie the team might not forfeit so he gets playing time and I'm getting ice time while I can! Is it a penalty if I skate out onto the ice and start doing the Ontkean striptease? Wait, I don't even want to see that, yeah, I'll keep the goalie occupied.
    Egads man. it ain't Slapshot, it's HOCKEY! hahahaha

Seriously, if my guys were getting ganged up on and THEN the entire other bench went on, I'd tell the rest of my team to sit their asses down and enjoy the show, then I'd be going all Hanson Bros on the other team. You know, skate around, grab a guy, sucker-punch his dumb ass, then off to the next while he tries to regain his senses. ....the quicker I take 'em out, the less damage to my guys getting gang-beaten.

But on a serious note, if the other team went nuts like that, I'd be going for the biggest guy on the other team and beat him into oblivion.

IHF Member
    Here's a video of the brawl in question. Those Chinese guys need to learn how to fight properly, there's a lot of ganging up on Bucks players. Then again, doesn't look like the Bucks came off the bench to protect their teammates.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=TuOBz5udLfY
    if I see that Video I must say, you can see, that there are Asian who are fighting. The browl was "only" over 1 1/2 minute. I remember the fight in Romania, Steaua vs Miercurea Ciuc. There is absolutelly no comparison. There are no stick's used here.... This fight was not dangerous.

Probably the mentality becomes here important. After this 1 1/2 minutes, the chinese goes to the bank.... this would never happen in the NHL or in Europe.... after 1 1/2 minutes.....

In my opinion the "gamesheet" looks more bad, than it realy was.... :)

What is now the decision? Forfeit? If yes, for which team?
    Cheers, Franco

IHF Member
    Nobody knows the official score from the abandoned game???????
    Cheers, Franco

when i see the standings :

victory of Icebucks but they don't count the score (like a victory with 0-0)

It seems that attendance lags when a team from Japan or Korea plays one of the Chinese teams. Fans aren't interested, I presume, because the Chinese teams are not competitive in the Asian League. And the Chinese teams, and Kangwon (in Korea) have atrocious attendance.

Does anyone think that the Chinese teams or Kangwon are in danger of folding? If so, wouldn't that put the entire AL in danger?

The Chinese teams are sponsored by local governments, so I don't think they're in danger of folding. But at the same time if they remain as weak as they are (see Hosa's individual stats to see how the imports are totally carrying that team), the league remains severely unbalanced. Kangwon, on the other hand, is sponsored by a company, but again they don't appear serious about marketing the team (and probably not too concerned about its costs.. yet).

Saw the Oji-Seibu match at Shin-Yokohama today. Was the most entertaining AL game I've seen in quite a while. The game ended in a 2-2 draw, but with plenty of chances for both squads coming from great counterattacks in open play. There was even a converted penalty shot by Oji. There was an unexplainable string of penalties against Seibu that kept the Bunnies down to 3 men for a good 6 minute stretch or so (the PS came near the end of their 3 man PK stretch). Fujita, Yule, and Tonosaki looked good for Seibu as usual with their energetic play. Big man Prpic's gonna be MIA for a while with the broken jaw he suffered in practice (jaws wired shut for a month, he'll be on a liquid diet, ouch). But the next tallest man, Miura, took over for him, in a way, but mauling and punching an Oji player, hehe.

the games between Oji and Seibu seems to be very exciting : 1 victory for each team and 3 ties !!!! you did a good choice

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by diabolik View Post
    when i see the standings :

victory of Icebucks but they don't count the score (like a victory with 0-0)
    thanks diabolik,

have asked directly the japanese Office, but don't get any answer back. Therefore a forfeit win for the icebucks?
    Cheers, Franco

yes Franco, i think its a forfeit win, with no goals counted.

TB , i have a question :

why did Oji play games at Sapporo and Asahikawa?? not only at Tomakomai??

same question for Seibu, which have multi home place....:scratchhe

Yeah, it was a forfeit win for the Bucks where none of the personal stats counted (hence the 0-0 scoreline) towards the season totals. Maybe that was only in a Japanese press release.

Japanese teams play home games in other towns to promote hockey around the country (even though with limited number of games, this means that the home town fans lose precious home games). Sapporo has been hosting "Xmas games" gatherings of teams the last few years where fans can see two games a day for the price of one and see all four teams in action.

any updates on the Changchun-Hosa match that was played earlier today? All I know is that Changchun (who I'd figured were about ripe for a win) managed an upset (and in so doing, won me a few bucks at 11:1 odds)

6-3 win for Changchun but Hosa didn't dress any of their imports (who account for about half their goal total). Without imports, the two teams appear to be about level (Changchun didn't have imports all season for some reason) but the win does seem almost like face saving, hmm...
    http://www.alhockey.com/popup/7/game/prompt127.html

Won a few bucks? Who bets on the AL? :ooh:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information