Thread: Bulgarian Ice Rinks

Bulgaria Bulgarian Ice Rinks

Thanks to the success of the figure skating couple Denkova/Staviyski, there is a possible future of constructing more ice rinks in Bulgaria.

- Sofia, Privately funded investment to build an additional covered ice rink.

- Haskovo, Town in the south close to the Greek and Turkish borders, where they intend to construct a 20x30 size covered artificial rink.

- Albena, Black Sea resort north of the main port of Varna. Similar rink(?) to the one in Haskovo.

These are the first steps and although the proposed rinks in Haskovo and Albena are too small for regular ice hockey they can still incite an interest in our beloved game.

RayOfWhite knows more on this matter and hopefully he can comment further or add more info.

Currently there are only 3 working artificial ice rinks in Bulgaria (Sofia):
    - Winter Sports Palace (Zimen Dvorets na Sporta) with a main rink and a training rink (the training rink, with lesser attendance stands, has been used the last years as the number of spectators are low.)
    - Slavia Ice Stadium (Zimen Stadion Slavia).

The covered ice rinks in Pernik and Veliko Tarnovo are not used for any ice activities since many years and their status (allegedly) ranges from repositories to market places...

The second biggest city in Bulgaria, Plovdiv also plans to build an ice rink in the very center of the city. Only an outdoor type, and probably of the smaller size, but still.

http://www.plovdivguide.com/newsfile...2132&lang_id=1

3 new small artificial (and mobile) rinks opened in Bulgaria around Christmas.

Sofia (in the centre of the city near the Ivan Vazov theatre)
    http://www.segabg.com/online/article...d=2&id=0000699

Plovdiv (the rink is called 'Ice Fiesta')
    http://www.hicomm.bg/readnews.php?nid=1141

Haskovo (on the 'Spartak' square, inaugurated by the Denkova/Staviski couple)
    http://haskovo.biz/index.php?option=...=3008&Itemid=2

IHF Prospect
    There is an ice-rink in Varna yet... in a new Mall, it's a small one (20x30 meters), but it's the only one in the city. In Bulgaria there are two ice rinks suitable for playing ice hockey - Slavia Ice Rink and The Winter Palace Of Sports.

There's one in sports complex in Varna, don't know the size, probably 20x30, it will be opened in the end of the month (february).

IHF Member
    Here are some information I think ?

http://www.kunki.org/page.php?9

But I don`t understand:(

IHF Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Here are some information I think ?

http://www.kunki.org/page.php?9

But I don`t understand:(
    Dan, this is quite old info.

IHF Member

Banned
    It seems that this is not a proper dimension of ice rink?

IHF Member
    Its 880 m² (20 x 45m)

I'm pretty tired of all these smaller and closed rinks all over the country,

Can we all agree that Bulgaria has only 3 full-size olympic Rinks (or very close to the required dimensions :-)

1. Winter sports Arena
    2. Winter sports Arena 2
    3. Slavia ice Stadium

Please any comments on that?, are they still in use? or use for another sport? is there more or less Rinks? :-) ??????? let us finally find that out :-)

1. Winter Sport Palace - official hall
    2. Winter Sport Palace - tranning ice
    3. Slavia Stadium -
    In all of those hall, may played oficial games (i talk for the ice size, not the Hall them selfs )

The only Slavia Staduim works 10 months per year, other ring - WPS - works form september till the end of April

Thank you very much Bobo , i am very happy you answered my question, it helped me much :-) ,, I asked the same question in the Turkish forum and and got a very sad response. Thank you :-)

Please write when Bulgaria gets their next "indoor full-size Rink" :-)

Quote Originally Posted by pedalinka View Post
    Thank you very much Bobo , i am very happy you answered my question, it helped me much :-) ,, I asked the same question in the Turkish forum and and got a very sad response. Thank you :-)

Please write when Bulgaria gets their next "indoor full-size Rink" :-)
    Just curious, but why are you so interested in rinks? And why are you "tired" of hearing about closed rinks?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCanuck View Post
    Just curious, but why are you so interested in rinks? And why are you "tired" of hearing about closed rinks?

Hahaha :-) Ice arenas is my sickness , my obsession, my nr1 hobby :-) thats it. im trying to make my own ice rink list world wide :-)

But i dont like them because they are highly disruptive in terms of correct and current information about ice rinks, so I do not care so much about closed rinks, but I have every respect if someone else like that information :-)

I have not problems with the smaller ice surfaces either, it is good they exist. But for me its only the real deal, "real rinks for hockey." otherwise there is a small ice surface in every town even in southern Europe, and it is way too much and misleading information :-)

Quote Originally Posted by pedalinka View Post
    Hahaha :-) Ice arenas is my sickness , my obsession, my nr1 hobby :-) thats it. im trying to make my own ice rink list world wide :-)

But i dont like them because they are highly disruptive in terms of correct and current information about ice rinks, so I do not care so much about closed rinks, but I have every respect if someone else like that information :-)

I have not problems with the smaller ice surfaces either, it is good they exist. But for me its only the real deal, "real rinks for hockey." otherwise there is a small ice surface in every town even in southern Europe, and it is way too much and misleading information :-)
    we share a similar passion. every town i visit i have to see the hockey rink! it is hard tracking open rinks around the world as they close and open regularly!

IHF Member
    Maybe new Rink in Burgas ?

http://www.burgasinfo.com/news/view/8/27630

Thread Information