Thread: South Africa hockey info

South Africa South Africa hockey info

Hi ashboe and welcome here!!!

Thanks for infos, very preciuos!
    Why SA website isn't update? Lack of interest or other reason?

How much is popular hockey in your country? Space on media? Financial support? There are import players or coaches?

Thanks for all infos!
    Last edited by Jazz; 27-09-2006 at 21:27. Reason: Thread split

IHF Prospect
    No interest thats the reason!!! ockey is not as big as it was bout 3 years ago!! Losing ice rinks all over the country ad people arent prepared to travel all over to play!!! We dont get any financial support from goverment but we do get grants fromIIHF as does every country!!! We have a few import coaches but not many import players , if they are foreign they now live in South Africa!!! Thats bout all!! Otherwise we wish it was more popular but unfortunately we dont have the finances available to make it big!!!

Let's start by splitting the last few posts off to a South Africa thread.

Next, let's go for info: what are the circumstances for rinks closing, and how many would you say are left in RSA, Ashley?
    Also, how are national team invitations organized as far as finding players to travel for the WCs? Can we expect to see David Burger play for South Africa this year, and do you plan on going if you get an invite?
    How hard is it to afford that kind of travel year in and year out?

Lastly, it is great to finally have a first-hand account from South Africa, we seem to have people from just about everywhere else on here.

IHF Prospect
    We have 5 Ice rinks in South Africa but only 3 are open to hockey!!! They close as a result of finances!! We dot have enough money invested in our sport for us to keep rinks open only on the money they earn from Ice Hockey!! Very sad but thats how it is in South Africa!!! Seen as though the National champs were played this weekend , these are sort of counted as trials!! A squad list will be selected from the games played and then practices take place from which the final team will be selected...David burger would probably be a choice for next year, I will be in the squad although i was not at the champs!! If i play well at practices i might be in the team!! There are really only 3 goalkeepes from which to select - David Burger ,Gary Bock(my brother), and myself!!! The problem is that we are all very much on par with each other!! The tours are pretty expensive as we pay for them ourselves!! An average trip to a tournament (we usually play in Eastern Europe) Will cost us bout $1200!!! Then we pay for all of our own equiptment which we have to import usually from America as it is the cheapest yet it still costs alot as we have to pay shipping fees and import duties!!! Hope this helps and if anything else im glad to assist!!!

Ashboe, if there was playoff?

Ashley.

Welcome aboard. Please keep us updated with any info about hockey down there. Addtionally, please circulate this forum address among the hockey circles in South Africa.
    http://www.internationalhockeygang.o...splay.php?f=47

We have members from all different countries and in some cases some have even contacted eachother via this board and exchanged information about building grass-roots programs and such.

How did you find this site?

SA sites are very outdated (2005), so I'm curious to know if there is activity, a national league still running, where to find infos...
    Seems SA hockey runs slowly to death....

Quote Originally Posted by Davide View Post
    SA sites are very outdated (2005), so I'm curious to know if there is activity, a national league still running, where to find infos...
    Well there wasn't a national league before. There were two (or three?) regional leagues though of 3-4 teams each. Would be nice to have the website updated though.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

Quote Originally Posted by Davide View Post
    Last I checked, they had two separate "leagues" (east and west, basically, because it's a large enough country), with the champions having a series to determine the national champion.

As for that last line, I've been told roughly the same thing. The sport is very expensive to play out there, and for new players it's difficult to get into the game. Parental apathy is the main factor that I've been told is kililng the game in RSA. There just aren't enough volunteers to keep the game at the level it's been at, and it's slowly dying. Not a good sign, hopefully we'll see a rebirth soon, before things get too much worse.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    Last I checked, they had two separate "leagues" (east and west, basically, because it's a large enough country), with the champions having a series to determine the national champion.

As for that last line, I've been told roughly the same thing. The sport is very expensive to play out there, and for new players it's difficult to get into the game. Parental apathy is the main factor that I've been told is kililng the game in RSA. There just aren't enough volunteers to keep the game at the level it's been at, and it's slowly dying. Not a good sign, hopefully we'll see a rebirth soon, before things get too much worse.
    They played two leagues for couple of years. The Gauteng (Transvaal) is better one.

Champions 2006:

Interprovincial championships: Western Gauteng
    Gauteng league: Pretoria Warriors
    Western Province: Eagles Cape Town

Thread Information