Thread: Hockey's popularity in Serbia

Banned

Hockey's popularity in Serbia

First I would like to apologize to my bad english, but I wish to write something about our serbian league.

As you now, our league have 5 team this year(Crvena Zvezda, Partizan, Vojvodina,Novi Sad and Beostar) and one who this year is not play( spartak from subotica) becouse most of the players from this team is left to the others clubs to play, and they have no enough players to play.
    In serbia, they are 3 ice stadium and one open stadium(spartak subotica). Two is in belgrade( one is open this year and this is a great news for as), and one is in the novi sad.
    This year, finaly is going to play much seriously hockey then past year before. Most of the club is bring few players from aboard( canadian, russian, slovak) and almost every club have some foreigner players ( total of 20-25 player in the league). After the season of 90-91, when is started o war and Yugoslavia is broken to the 4 state, this year in serbia is the best league of that time.
    This is from me for now.

Cheers :023:

Quote Originally Posted by roki
    First I would like to apologize to my bad english, but I wish to write something about our serbian league.

As you now, our league have 5 team this year(Crvena Zvezda, Partizan, Vojvodina,Novi Sad and Beostar) and one who this year is not play( spartak from subotica) becouse most of the players from this team is left to the others clubs to play, and they have no enough players to play.
    In serbia, they are 3 ice stadium and one open stadium(spartak subotica). Two is in belgrade( one is open this year and this is a great news for as), and one is in the novi sad.
    This year, finaly is going to play much seriously hockey then past year before. Most of the club is bring few players from aboard( canadian, russian, slovak) and almost every club have some foreigner players ( total of 20-25 player in the league). After the season of 90-91, when is started o war and Yugoslavia is broken to the 4 state, this year in serbia is the best league of that time.
    This is from me for now.

Cheers :023:
    Hi Roki and welcome here!
    No problem with your english, feel free to write your impressions, these are more important for us!

I wanna ask you: how popular is icehockey in Serbia? A traditional "hot" derby like Crvena-Partizan is so popular in hockey as in football?

Great to see this year league is competitive, does this mean economic resources are growing?

There are projects or roumors about expansion of hockey also in other cities?

Roki, greetings and welcome to the board. As Quebecois said, many of our members don't speak English as a first language, but it's all about spreading the great Gospel of Hockey.
    In other words, your impressions, experiences and information on hockey in your little part ofthe world is more important than your English language skills (that being said, I can understand you fine).

KazakhEagles: yes, that's exactly what I'm griping about, STILL. I'd stop griping if it ever got fixed. :mad:

Banned
    Ice hockey is not so popular today. But I must to say that in former yugoslavia hockey is being very popular and in that time stadium in cities around the state is being full( 1000-2000 people in every game). In that time we have the first league whit 6 teams and second league whit 8-10 teams. But that time is gone and now just slovenia, croatia and serbia has own league. Of course, slovenia has the best league and players( just like in yugoslavia), croatia and serbia is similiar. Football and basketball is the most popular sport in serbia, and almost all the atentions is going to them. Hockey is on margine in the media, only one daily sport newspaper is bring some information about our sport.
    Like I said, this year is good competition in league and 4 teams are similar whit quality, which means that be very interesting in championship. About economic resourses and growing, I must say that in the every field is better than in few years ago. In 2000 the average income is being about 100 DM(50 EUR), and now is about 250-300 EUR. This year every team is profesional or semi-pro, which a few year ago is being impossible.
    About the project of ice-hockey in the other city, I think that their is just a roumors. First of all, I hope that the ice stadium in subotica must be complete whit the roof, and then we would have 6 team in our league. Maybe in future we will fusion whit croatian and slovenian league and then it be a good prosperity for hockey in this part of the world.
    That is for now (very dificult for me to write this long in english :seeingsta
    Cheers

Ice hockey is not so popular today. But I must to say that in former yugoslavia hockey is being very popular and in that time stadium in cities around the state is being full( 1000-2000 people in every game). In that time we have the first league whit 6 teams and second league whit 8-10 teams. But that time is gone and now just slovenia, croatia and serbia has own league. Of course, slovenia has the best league and players( just like in yugoslavia), croatia and serbia is similiar. Football and basketball is the most popular sport in serbia, and almost all the atentions is going to them. Hockey is on margine in the media, only one daily sport newspaper is bring some information about our sport.
    Like I said, this year is good competition in league and 4 teams are similar whit quality, which means that be very interesting in championship. About economic resourses and growing, I must say that in the every field is better than in few years ago. In 2000 the average income is being about 100 DM(50 EUR), and now is about 250-300 EUR. This year every team is profesional or semi-pro, which a few year ago is being impossible.
    About the project of ice-hockey in the other city, I think that their is just a roumors. First of all, I hope that the ice stadium in subotica must be complete whit the roof, and then we would have 6 team in our league. Maybe in future we will fusion whit croatian and slovenian league and then it be a good prosperity for hockey in this part of the world.
    Cheers
    maybe difficult but really interesting!!
    Another question: how many players are currently abroad? There are many players in North America?
    Good luck for your ice-rink!!

Banned
    I really don`t know for sure, but i now for some players. Caba Prokes is born in Subotica(1980), and in the early 90` he go in Sweden whit family. As i now he was playing in second league in sweden, and than he go in spain to play. Now I don`t now where he is now playing. Ivan Prokic(1975) is playing for the CSKA Moscow in1994/95 for few games, and then he is moved to the USA to College. He play for some club below NHL( not for sure). but I don`t know in which. Today, I think that he is no more play. Ivan Kosic is play in the Spain.We are for sure have players who is born in this country and who is play abroad but now they are not our citizens .I think that several jung gays now studie in america and play for college, but we don`t have a seriously player that is so good for playing a serious hockey abroad. I hope that i wrong.

Cheers

Cheers

Hearing about this kind of rapid improvement (going from basically amateur to semi-pro/professional) in just a few years speaks well for the core hockey community in Serbia. Hopefully this will continue, and maybe at some point we WILL see Serbia & Croatia perhaps join into a local league (with the remaining Slovenian clubs?). It would be great to see, surely.

Cheers

today another match was played between beostar (my favourite :D ) and partizan...
    it was scheduled to be played later but partizan agreed to play with beostar so that beostar can have a first goalie back from suspension for match against crvena zvezda, their only rival for fourth place in the standings (neither beostar nor zvezda can go any higher then that)

partizan won 9:0, clearly dominating from the start, but beostar wasn't as bad as the result suggests...

i saw those 2 players from izrael... i like the way buchner played... he is pretty fast, skates well and tries really hard... he is a bit short-tempered though and could work on that...

@ Québecois:
    ice hockey is nowhere near as popular as football... there is no "derby" between partizan and zvezda, when it comes to hockey... usually one team is superior to the other by far so there is no suspence over who will win... and there is only a couple of hundreds of hockey fans in belgrade, and that much in novi sad...
    and many people don't even know ice hockey is played in serbia...
    you should see the looks on people faces when i take my hockey equpiment and stick and go to play hockey... i play recreationally... i've never played hockey in my life until a couple of weeks ago...

Quote Originally Posted by baxus
    today another match was played between beostar (my favourite :D ) and partizan...
    it was scheduled to be played later but partizan agreed to play with beostar so that beostar can have a first goalie back from suspension for match against crvena zvezda, their only rival for fourth place in the standings (neither beostar nor zvezda can go any higher then that)

partizan won 9:0, clearly dominating from the start, but beostar wasn't as bad as the result suggests...

i saw those 2 players from izrael... i like the way buchner played... he is pretty fast, skates well and tries really hard... he is a bit short-tempered though and could work on that...

@ Québecois:
    ice hockey is nowhere near as popular as football... there is no "derby" between partizan and zvezda, when it comes to hockey... usually one team is superior to the other by far so there is no suspence over who will win... and there is only a couple of hundreds of hockey fans in belgrade, and that much in novi sad...
    and many people don't even know ice hockey is played in serbia...
    you should see the looks on people faces when i take my hockey equpiment and stick and go to play hockey... i play recreationally... i've never played hockey in my life until a couple of weeks ago...
    It's good to see that the sport is alive and gaining new recruits nonetheless. By the way, a belated welcome to the forum, and thank you also for your insight into the game and the players. :)

i have to correct one mistake i made...
    there was only one player from izrael... the other one is domestic player, but i couldn't recall seeing him before...

baxus and roki, welcome to the forum! Thanks for the updates you've given us. It's great when we can local insight into the leagues. Keep the news coming!!
    Buffalo Sabres: TPS : Milwaukee Admirals

i think that hockey is getting a bit more popular this season...
    every time i go to watch beostar in their hall (officially "penguin" or "la bombonera" as it is known among the fans) there are 200-300 people there... which is pretty good considering they exist for only a couple of months and that ice hockey isn't really a popular sport, it's more exotic...

Roki & Baxus - welcome to the forum! It's great to have you here! :023:

There are Israelis playing in Serbia's hockey league?

What are their names?

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber
    Roki & Baxus - welcome to the forum! It's great to have you here! :023:

There are Israelis playing in Serbia's hockey league?

What are their names?
    Hey Marc - look here: http://www.internationalhockeygang.o...4193#post64193

Daniel Buchner
    Itzhak Levy

levy has not yet played...
    i don't think he has even come to belgrade, yet... i've heard that he should be playing for beostar as well, but we shall see...

buchner is pretty good... he skates well, he is fast, and seems to fit well with the rest of the team... you can see that his heart is into it and that he hasn't just come for the money (which can't be that good anyway)... he did make some mistakes in the last game but he was forced to play as a defenceman... i heard that he used to play a defenceman, but from what i've seen he is much better as a forward... he will probably be back in offense when 2 defencemen get back in the squad... and there is a one month break for U20 WC so he will have plenty of time to adapt and get to know his teammates...

Thanks gentlemen! :023:

Hockey's popularity in Serbia last season was very low. A small number of spectators at matches, average of 50 per game, maybe less. Champion has declared these days, of course, as always, Partizan (topic is locked?). Very soon we will have the system collapse except if Bulgarian help Serbian hockey. We need to look in the direction of Sofia, there is the sun ;/
    Serbian hockey
    Senior 2A - U20 2B - U18 2B

Banned
    There is no need to kick up a topic that is what, six-seven years old... there are other topics for this. I'd continue typing some constructive stuff about last season, but this is not the place for it...

Quote Originally Posted by woppa View Post
    There is no need to kick up a topic that is what, six-seven years old... there are other topics for this. I'd continue typing some constructive stuff about last season, but this is not the place for it...
    Actually, when you look at the title of the thread, and the subject matter that he posted about, this is theperfect opportunity to bring up an old thread, and add a little update to it. That way we can look at the progression (or regression) that has taken place in the past years.

Thread Information