Thread: Any info on Macedonian Hockey?

IIHF Any info on Macedonian Hockey?

Hi,
    from months i desperately seeking infos about hockey in Bosnia and Makedonia.
    There is a site of Bosnian federation but is all in bosniac....
    I understand that this year there isn't a domestic league but i want to know is exist teams and their address...

Same for Makedonia, apparentely there isn't a web site about this...

Do you have informations?

I'm sure this is not what you are looking for, but it is interesting nonetheless.

http://www.unitedmacedonians.org/new...dec99/nhl.html

National Hockey League's Macedonian Contingent

Currently, three players in the National Hockey League are of Macedonian descent. The most well-known is Ed Jovanovski, a 23 year old defensive stalwart with the Vancouver Canucks. Jovanovski is coming into his own with the fine defense corps of the Canucks. The Florida Panthers traded his rights to Vancouver in the Pavel Bure trade. Jovanovski, an imposing, 6'2", 210lbs. is on his way to stardom in the N.H.L. His parents are from Tetovsko, Macedonia and Ed was born and raised in Windsor, Ontario. He started his career as a soccer player but made the switch to hockey during his adolescent years.
    Steve Staios, 26, is a versatile player as he plays both right wing and defense for the Atlanta Thrashers. Staios, 6' and 200lbs., was born in Hamilton, Ontario and he traces his roots to Lerinsko. He is noted for his defensive play and his rambunctious style.
    One of the finest young goaltenders in the N.H.L. is Jose Theodore of the Montreal Canadiens and this 23 year old backstopper is destined to have a fine career in the world's premier hockey league.
    Other notable former N.H.L.ers of Macedonian origin include Chris Kotsopoulos, Alek Stojanov, and Steve Gatzos. Current owners of Macedonian origin in the National Hockey League are Mike Ilitch and Steve Stavro. John Bitove Jr. was the former owner of the Toronto Raptors and is the current head of Toronto's 2008 Olympic bid.
    North America's Macedonians have certainly made their mark in the world of professional hockey and we ought to be proud of their achievements.
    Note: Canadian tennis star Daniel Nestor is of Macedonian origin and traces his roots to Ohridsko.

very interesting article, thanks a lot!!!

Anything about domestic hockey??

I have many macedonian friends, and I will ask them about it!
    Will post soon (hopefully in 3 days time)

All I know is that Macedonia has (at least) three teams:

HK Skopje,
    Makoteks, and
    Vardar Skopje

Vardar is a major Macedonian sports club (football, handball, basket, hockey....), so you can look for the club's homepage on the net.

Macedonia does have an Ice Hockey Federation, so how about contacting them?

Ice Hockey Association of Macedonia
    Jordan Hadzikonstantinov Dzinot 12a 1000 Skopje Macedonia
    Phone/Fax: +389-2-228 624
    e-mail: macedoniahockey@yahoo.com

--------------

I also have the addresses of the federations of Mongolia and India if you need them. :003:
    Last edited by Karsten; 01-03-2005 at 04:14.

Thanks a lot for infos Dancan! Unfortunately Vardar team page doesn't have an icehockey section. This could be a sign how ice hockey is popular there.....

Further infos about others teams or domestic league?

Quote Originally Posted by quebecoise
    Thanks a lot for infos Dancan! Unfortunately Vardar team page doesn't have an icehockey section. This could be a sign how ice hockey is popular there.....

Further infos about others teams or domestic league?
    I'm too lazy too look for Macedonian webites. :003:

My knowledge of Macedonian hockey is limited. I do know that Hk Skopje and Vardar once were regulars in the hockey leagues of Yugoslavia. Macedonia joined the IIHF in 2001 but the country does not have a national hockey league. Neither does Bosnia-Herzegovina which also joined the IIHF in 2001 have a national hockey league. Just another reflection of the sorry state of Balkan hockey.

However, hockey in Bosnia-Herzegovina seems to have a future - not sure whether this is the case for Macedonia. According to the latest stats from 2004, BH has 254 registered player, 190 of which are juniors. More rinks are needed as the country currently only has an outdoor and indoor rink.

Mongolia has a national hockey league, but you don't want to hear about Mongolian hockey. Hope that one day we will get member from Mongolia. Hockey is Global!
    Last edited by Karsten; 01-03-2005 at 12:47.

The connection is shitty there, but I hope will receive some answers soon.
    I'm almost sure, will get in weekend.
    Hold on!
    Last edited by hungarianfan; 05-03-2005 at 01:56.

I can tell only bad news about Macedonian hockey. It seems, it is dead now. No sponsors, no money, no league. Vardar Skopje has a team now, in fact it seems the only team there, but couldn1t get sponsors, and failed to start in any competitions, cause no money for trips.
    :(

(wow, this was my 150th post here) :653:

Quote Originally Posted by hungarianfan
    I can tell only bad news about Macedonian hockey. It seems, it is dead now. No sponsors, no money, no league. Vardar Skopje has a team now, in fact it seems the only team there, but couldn1t get sponsors, and failed to start in any competitions, cause no money for trips.
    :(

(wow, this was my 150th post here) :653:
    Like i imagine:crying:
    Some infos about national team?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dancan
    All I know is that Macedonia has (at least) three teams:

HK Skopje,
    Makoteks, and
    Vardar Skopje

Vardar is a major Macedonian sports club (football, handball, basket, hockey....), so you can look for the club's homepage on the net.

Macedonia does have an Ice Hockey Federation, so how about contacting them?

Ice Hockey Association of Macedonia
    Jordan Hadzikonstantinov Dzinot 12a 1000 Skopje Macedonia
    Phone/Fax: +389-2-228 624
    e-mail: macedoniahockey@yahoo.com

--------------

I also have the addresses of the federations of Mongolia and India if you need them. :003:
    Yes we used to have a team back in the days in the old Yugoslavia and Vardar had an outside ice rink but they fell apart and nothing has been done since then, right now our countries economy is not well at all so it would be very hard to get an ice arena or to take care of an ice rink, but Ed Jovanovski who is of Macedonian heritage has been trying to help us by donating money to hockey organizations in Macedonia but from what i heard its mostly used for roller hockey.. i wish someday we can get our own hockey club and maybe even our own national team, which is a dream of mine :045:

IHF Member
    I have look for information! It seems like Vardar have will not give up the idea to play in the balkan league with SLovenija,Serbia,Bulgaria and Romania teams and Hugaryan I think. They have the players but the problem was the sponsor who can pay for the trips, well it seems like no one wanted to pay for te team since ice hockey is small sport over ther and they waste the money in Handball(Vardar made semifinal in europ this year) ( soccer,Vardar was only one goal from CL 2003) (Baskteball) and (Vollyball) but now it seems like a macedonian mobil giant MOBIMAK will pay for trips and salary if they let them in to the balkan league......

So if Vardar will start to play I think that the NT will play very soon too, however the domestic league will have to wait for many years to come it seems, but balkan league and NT hockey(D group) is a good start at least.

Like Ambis say it seems like ED Jovanovski(NHL player) try to advertise the sport very hard in macedonia(great by Jovanovski who love the sport) and he try to request young man and women to play Icehockey in macedonia.... He will make a new arena(Jovanovski stadium) with own money and a Ice hocky school.

I think that Marty Turco have macedonian pedigree too(mother) they told in swedish newspaper this year. ther are many players with macedonian pedigree in the world who play icehocky like Canada,Usa,Sweden,Germany but they are not born in macedonia as ther parents did leave the nation as workers 35 years ago, so they can not play for the Macedonian NT but at least they can advertise the sport like ED.

PS! ther is a very good macedonian youth player in Sweden with the name Sterjovski Stefan, he have the talent to become NHL player in 5-7 years time. so he will become the 3 or 4 player with macedonian pedigree in NHL :) :drinker-g

That is what I know about maco ice hocky.........

BTW! Slovenija are the Best balkan ice hockey nation by far and have reach the A world championchip for the 2 time and will play for the 3 time, they also have a good unorganized league :023: :) Wish them luck but the group is hard...... hopefully they can stay in the A group.

Croatia made DIV1 this year, congrat to them :023:
    Last edited by SwedishFan; 17-04-2005 at 10:54.

thanks Swed!! Very very interesting! Have you some links about this project of a balkan league?

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Québecois
    thanks Swed!! Very very interesting! Have you some links about this project of a balkan league?
    I could not faind a link of the balkan league but i know the league allrady exist.

IHF Prospect

Kotsopoulos and Theodore

Chris Kotsopoulos is Greek (can a name be mor eGreek than that?!)

and Jose Theodore's father is also Greek.

If they are of Macedonian origin in Greece that I am not sure.

Surely they are not from FYROM.

IHF Prospect
    Macedonians and Greeks... what a mess with the names! Theodore is Macedonian, as he himself has stated on a Macedonian heritage program aired on Canuck TV. As for the other guy, you're probably right - the name sounds Greek. But history plays strange games. Many Macedonians who lived in the north of Greece (which is now called Macedonia) had their names changed ... ain't politics great?

Just discovered the forum. Miss hockey a lot. (Don't get any here in Italy) I get my dad to put the tv in front of the webcam and we watch games together that way.

It would be wicked to see Skopje Vardar up and really involved in a Balkan League. Just think of it...

I discovered a Balkan League was played for three years between 1994 and 1997

1994/95
    champion: Partizan Beograd

1995/96
    final:Steaua Bucuresti - Sportul Studentesc Bucuresti 8-2
    3rd place:CZ Beograd - Slavia Sofia 5-1
    Others teams participanting: Vojvodina(SCG) Levski Sofia(BUL)

1996/97
    Sportul Studentesc Bucuresti HC Sfintu Gheorghe 12-6
    Crvena Zvezda Beograd 6 HC Beograd 0

The only information about hockey in macedonia I found here:

http://www.eurohockey.net/leagues/te...cgi?country=mk

Quote Originally Posted by jimstam View Post
    Chris Kotsopoulos is Greek (can a name be mor eGreek than that?!)

and Jose Theodore's father is also Greek.

If they are of Macedonian origin in Greece that I am not sure.

Surely they are not from FYROM.

Steve Gatzos a great player who played for medvescak gortan in 1989/1990. season also have macedonian background

Steve Gatzos! There's a name I haven't heard for years!

Played for my Fife Flyers in 1990-91 and isn't so highly thought of. To be honest, I think his reputation was marred at Fife for two reasons. First was that he came in having hidden a significant injury from us (knees, I seem to recall) and was never the player that his CV said he would be.

Second, was that it was a season from hell for us. Backroom politics took over and we had 10 different imports that year. Mike Fedorko came in half-way through the season and destroyed a few egos. It needed doing, but perhaps not as brutally as Mike did it. As a result, we ended up with a team with no confidence and no motivation. From having made the Wembley semi-finals the year before, we got relegated to Division 1. Had we not bounced straight back up, general feeling is that the oldest club in Britain would have folded...

So, Gatzos, not quite as fondly remembered in Fife!

Graham.
    "It's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is."
    ---
    "Night Watch", Terry Pratchett

i don't know about macedonian hockey, but i do know that ed jovanovski was of macedonian heritage... i believe his parents (or father at least) were born in macedonia and emigrated to canada...
    don't know about jose theodore, but the name sounds nothing like macedonian names...
    first they ignore you...
    then they laugh at you...
    then they fight you...
    then you win!

Thread Information