Thread: Question about hockey in Africa

Question about hockey in Africa

Hi. A while back I heard from someone in a hockey chatroom that Namibia, Mozambique, and Angola were interested at one point about joing the IIHF so they could compete in international roller hockey tournaments. I know Namibia competes, and I found that Angola does play ball roller hockey (not inline, but hockey is hockey), but couldn't find anything on Mozambique, so I thought the most logical place to ask was here. :) Thanks guys.
    Bíonn dhá insint ar scéal agus dhá leagan déag ar amhrán

Quad roller hockey is played in Mozambique. http://www.skatelog.com/countries/mz/hockey.htm

I could not find any info on Mozambique ice hockey or inline roller hockey.

IHF Member
    Namibia is already an IIHF member for inline hockey.

Former Portuguese colonies like Angola and Mozambique (and Macao by the way) play some rink hockey, and Mozambique won the B world championships last year
    http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champio...de_rink_hockey

These rink hockey world championships are organised by the CIRH, a subcommittee of FIRS, which has his own inline world championships (in competition with IIHF ones).

Logically, if these countries tried inline hockey, it would be more logical for them to play in FIRS championships, a federation they already know, especially since they have no ice. (unless there is a federation war or quarrels between inline and rink hockey people)
    That's the way it crumbles, cookie-wise

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Namibia is already an IIHF member for inline hockey.

Logically, if these countries tried inline hockey, it would be more logical for them to play in FIRS championships, a federation they already know, especially since they have no ice.
    Namibia doesn't have any ice, also, with Canada joining into the IIHF Inline WC ranks, perhaps there will be more of a tilt for them to look into IIHF membership.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

Thread Information