Thread: Icelandic Hockey Suffers for Lack of Ice

Iceland Icelandic Hockey Suffers for Lack of Ice

http://www.grapevine.is/?show=paper&...lstory&id=1532

....New SR and Icelandic national team head coach Ed Maggiacomo isn’t the only Canadian with the Icelandic programme this year. Icelandic teams recruit foreign players for the regular competitive season. This year two Czech citizens, brothers, are playing for SR as well as one Canadian. When I asked Coach Maggiacomo if the relative shortage of players growing up in the sport in Iceland was a problem for the national men’s team recruitment he replied no, stating that every country’s programmes are different. “Some have big junior leagues and some don’t,” Maggiacomo explained. “It’s not a problem.” When Coach Maggiacomo returned to the ice, his wife Carol told me he is training some of the older players to act as coaches to younger players. Teaching strategies of instruction in the sport of hockey could be his “legacy to leave behind,” as Carol put it, for hockey playing Icelanders down the road. Carol explained that the players brought in from abroad aren’t “super-star players… And the team is starting to see that… They’re here to help them improve.” Carol also commented on the idea of a hockey culture here in Iceland. “You’re instantly embraced by hockey people,” she told me, going on to say that even so far away from Canada she feels at home at the ice rink....

Iceland itself has been forced to overcome a series of obstacles imposed by its small population and rapidly changing climate conditions to build its emerging hockey culture.
    Icelandic emigrants to Canada attempted to gain entrance to the nation’s hockey teams. After being repeatedly denied, they formed the Winnipeg Falcons. The Falcons won the prestigious Allan Cup in 1920. Icelandic national team jerseys commemorate their Canadian hockey playing ancestors with a maple leaf and falcon crest. A native of Canada, new SR and Icelandic national team head coach Ed Maggiacomo brings the crest’s symbolism full circle.
    Growing up as a Canadian and loving hockey (before the internet and information overload), I always looked to Iceland as brother to us. I always wondered if they could sustain hockey on a pro level, if it began to take off. The article pretty much answered all the questions and doubts I had in my mind.

Iceland is an amazing country geographically, but with a population of 300,000 people I don't see how strong the game can grow without help. This is where I think Hockey Canada should really step in and donate millions of dollars to help the country or start a grants commission to them. Not only to help them, but because they are the little brother of Canada. I've always thought Iceland as more Canadiana than European. Moreover, they honor the tradition of Canadian Hockey on their National Team, as well as, how their rocky history first started with Canadian hockey.

Quote Originally Posted by a3r3z
    Iceland is an amazing country geographically, but with a population of 300,000 people I don't see how strong the game can grow without help. This is where I think Hockey Canada should really step in and donate millions of dollars to help the country or start a grants commission to them. Not only to help them, but because they are the little brother of Canada. I've always thought Iceland as more Canadiana than European. Moreover, they honor the tradition of Canadian Hockey on their National Team, as well as, how their rocky history first started with Canadian hockey.
    I don't really see how Hockey Canada donating millions of dollars would help. There are three or four rinks in the country, but there are only 300,000 people. I suppose the player pool could increase from the 0.2% of the population up to Canada's 1.7% but I don't see a necessity for it. Honestly, it would be a waste of money but I think the Icelandic federation is doing a very good job as it is.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

Quote Originally Posted by KazakhEagles
    I don't really see how Hockey Canada donating millions of dollars would help. There are three or four rinks in the country, but there are only 300,000 people. I suppose the player pool could increase from the 0.2% of the population up to Canada's 1.7% but I don't see a necessity for it. Honestly, it would be a waste of money but I think the Icelandic federation is doing a very good job as it is.
    Well not millions of course, that's an exaggeration. I disagree with you that donating some grants by Hockey Canada wouldn't be beneficial. The point of the donations are to maintain the level of success that Icelandic hockey has created, and to alleviate any problems (as mentioned per say in the article) for the federation to overcome. Finally, as I mentioned, it's in our history as a Nation to help them out.

Now I don't know if we spend any money at all on hockey training (the Canadians in the article are volunteers I assume), equipment or facilities for Icelandic hockey, but any grant given to a small Ice Hockey Federation like Iceland, mostly will do more good, than no good at all.

Thread Information