Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Frans Nielsen's NHL Career (First Dane in the NHL)

IHF Member
    If the positive spirit from the last three months continues to the next season the Islanders will actually, imho, have a good chance of getting into the playoffs 2011-2012.

Then add the fact that Mark Streit is almost back from his long injury break and that Islanders drafted El Nino last year, as he will probably take over Kyle Okposos place next to Nielsen and Grabner. If Niederreiter gets a good start, this line will definately be awesome.

Speculations off course, but if it works out, I dont see why Nielsen shouldnt be hitting 55-70 points next season.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagge View Post
    If the positive spirit from the last three months continues to the next season the Islanders will actually, imho, have a good chance of getting into the playoffs 2011-2012.

Then add the fact that Mark Streit is almost back from his long injury break and that Islanders drafted El Nino last year, as he will probably take over Kyle Okposos place next to Nielsen and Grabner. If Niederreiter gets a good start, this line will definately be awesome.

Speculations off course, but if it works out, I dont see why Nielsen shouldnt be hitting 55-70 points next season.
    If the Islanders can stay healthy and maybe add a veteran or two, they should most certainly be in a position to clinch the 7th or 8th spot in the Eastern Conference, but they are also in tough Atlantic division and will have to have a better start to season than this year. And if they out of the playoff picture at the trade deadline, I would also image that a lot of teams would try to acquire Nielsen (assuming that he hasn’t signed an extension with the Islanders at that time).

IHF Member

Nielsen out indefinitely / day to day

Based on the first reports it appears that Nielsen most likely will miss the rest of the season and thereby the IHWC.

Articles in Danish
    http://tv2sport.dk/node/75468
    http://tv2sport.dk/node/75469
    http://www.sporten.dk/ishockey/frans-nielsens-vm-i-fare
    Last edited by Marras; 01-04-2011 at 23:56.

IHF Member
    Nielsen has won the Bobby Nystrom Award(team award for a player who exemplifies the qualities of leadership, hustle and dedication).

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/recap?gameId=310402012
    (see game notes)
    Last edited by Marras; 03-04-2011 at 10:03.

IHF Member
    Article on Nielsen being awarded the Bob Nystrom Award.

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.h...id=DL|NYI|home

No news on his concussion yet though

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHawks View Post
    No news on his concussion yet though
    Latest is that he's unlikely (and still day to day) for Wednesday's game against Boston and considering that the Islanders then have to play against Pittsburgh and Philadelphia I seriously doubt that he will be in the lineup for any of those games.

IHF Member
    According to Newsday, Nielsen has been shut down for the season.

Let's hope "season" just refers to the NHL-season - although I am not very optimistic...

Well seems according to Frans himself you are right ElQuapo: http://www.sporten.dk/ishockey/frans...-blive-vm-klar (article in danish)
    But it's very much up to Islanders GM it seems and from past experiences with him it's probably not good to get our expectations up.

IHF Member
    The NHL is about to start and yahoo have made an article with some editors predicting the season. Frans is predicted to win Selke by one of the editors.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...rn=nhl-wp13989

Won't happen as long as the Islanders sucks...

IHF Member
    The islanders will not suck as much as they have been the last 5 years. I predict a good season from them, with a play off spot as 7th or 8th. Their best D-man is back, their third line with Frans, Grabner and Okposo is looking to be among the best ones in the entire league. And their top 6 forwards are looking as strong as they have been in the last 20 years.

If Nielsen can stay healthy through the entire season and maybe make 10-15 points more and the Islanders make the playoffs, he will have a good shot at it.

IHF Member
    Nielsen got 3 points tonight against the Caps. 1 goal and 2 assists. Furthermore he got 2nd star in the game.

Most underrated NHL-player

Sports Illustrated has had a NHL-players poll about who are the most underrated players in the league. Frans Nielsen came in as no. 9.

Link

wasn't he 2nd last year?

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    wasn't he 2nd last year?
    That was in a NHLPA player poll.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/alls...ated-player-2/
    Last edited by Marras; 16-01-2012 at 20:14.

IHF Member
    Nielsen is off the trade market after signing a new four-year deal with the Islanders.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=387176

Quote Originally Posted by Marras View Post
    Nielsen is off the trade market after signing a new four-year deal with the Islanders.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=387176
    On his way to becoming the first dane to get his number retired by an NHL club

Hehe, I might be overrating him a tiny bit there though

I don't get why he didn't test the market, he could have got significantly more somewhere else while going for the cup. I guess he really likes it in NYI for some very strange and unknown reason :P

IHF Member
    Why would he move if he feels comftable on Long Island? Besides, I think he can see some future in Islanders. Tavares is beginning to produce a lot of points and if just they could find a decent second center, so Frans can play where he does the best job, the 3rd center, then the team will definately be competing for play off spots.

Not to mention that Islanders last night got ,500 for the first time in many years. Things are definately looking better for them. Now, if they could just sign Nabokov for some years also, that would be great.

IHF Member
    Not to mention that they beat Philly in the last to matches.....

When did that happen the lsat time? 81?

Montoya > Nabokov
    He's the one they need to keep in net, and they'll be good for several years on that position.

IHF Member
    I saw the game and Nabokov was absolutely stunning to watch. I don't think I've seen such a beautiful shutout this year. He had like 3-4 amazing saves.

Anyway - good for Frans. I spoke to his sis a month ago (pretty hot btw ) and she told me that he loved NY so much, and almost for that reason alone, he would like to stay put as an islander as long as he could. But anyway - good thing for the Danish National Team

IHF Member
    Montoya > Nabokov
    He's the one they need to keep in net, and they'll be good for several years on that position.
    I dont agree. Nabokov is the guy to keep, but they should also sign Monty and get rid of DiPietro instead (I know Garth Snow signed him for a long term contract last year). Dont think Montoya is as good as he was in Phoenix though, so he need to step it up.

No reason to have a keeper that old on a team where everyone else important is young and developing, the idea was to keep the core for many years and eventually evolve into a playoff team. Nabokov has no role in that given his age, on top of that he has on several occasions voiced his unhappiness with being in the Islanders team. Not a keeper as I see it...no pun intended.
    Although the curse of injured keepers does seem to have hit Montoya as well, which could be what speaks against him.
    And yeah DiPietro no longer plays a role on anything but the payroll.

IHF Member
    No reason to have a keeper that old on a team where everyone else important is young and developing, the idea was to keep the core for many years and eventually evolve into a playoff team. Nabokov has no role in that given his age, on top of that he has on several occasions voiced his unhappiness with being in the Islanders team. Not a keeper as I see it...no pun intended.
    Although the curse of injured keepers does seem to have hit Montoya as well, which could be what speaks against him.
    And yeah DiPietro no longer plays a role on anything but the payroll.
    Ok, I seemed to be under the impression that Nabokov was 22. Dont know where I got that from. Your arguement makes perfect sense in that perspective, so I agree. Montoya still needs to get back to the pace he had in Coyotes though.

IHF Member
    Ok, I seemed to be under the impression that Nabokov was 22. Dont know where I got that from. Your arguement makes perfect sense in that perspective, so I agree. Montoya still needs to get back to the pace he had in Coyotes though.
    Montoya's great play (he was good in Phoenix, but not extraordinary) for the Coyotes was in only a handful of games and at a time where the team had nothing to play for. He performed under no pressure, so I won't say that he has to "get back to the pace" from his time as a coyote. He is a good goalie, though, and he has impressed me as a solid netminder for the Islanders, BUT - the team is getting their majority of wins with Nabokov in the net, and Nabby's performances this season proves how important it is for a team to have an absolute top goalie to make good results.

If I was GM Garth Snow, I'd still trade Nabokov near the deadline (if they have given up on the playoffs) and go for either draft picks or maybe a good defensive d-man to fill out the gap that the expected departures of Mike Mottau, Steve Staios, Milan Jurcina and Mark Eaton leaves.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jarl70 View Post
    Montoya's great play (he was good in Phoenix, but not extraordinary) for the Coyotes was in only a handful of games and at a time where the team had nothing to play for. He performed under no pressure, so I won't say that he has to "get back to the pace" from his time as a coyote. He is a good goalie, though, and he has impressed me as a solid netminder for the Islanders, BUT - the team is getting their majority of wins with Nabokov in the net, and Nabby's performances this season proves how important it is for a team to have an absolute top goalie to make good results.

If I was GM Garth Snow, I'd still trade Nabokov near the deadline (if they have given up on the playoffs) and go for either draft picks or maybe a good defensive d-man to fill out the gap that the expected departures of Mike Mottau, Steve Staios, Milan Jurcina and Mark Eaton leaves.
    Don't forget Poulin and Nilsson who looks like real solid prospects. BTW Nabokov has a no-trade clause that he will have to waive if they want to ship him off.

He's going to be UFA anyway, so he's worthless in a trade pretty much. I can't see him stay with Islanders. Also Montoya has all the tools to be just as good a keeper Nabokov was a few years ago in my oppinion.

IHF Member
    Frans had his third 3-point game of the season last night when the Islanders beat the Pittsburgh Penguins 5-3 on away ice. With a goal in each of the first two periods he was a big contributor to the first Islanders victory in Pittsburgh for more than four years!

Frans has 6 points in his last 3 games and 8 points in his last 5 games.

The Islanders have two straight victories and are 4-4-2 in their last 10, which have seen them move up the standings, going past teams such as Toronto and Minnesota in the league standings. Many Islanders supporters have expressed their satisfaction with the teams placement in the bottom of the league, securing the team a high pick in this years' entry draft which is to be held in Pittsburgh. With tons of NHL skilled forwards in the system, the team GM Garth Snow is expected to be going after a defenseman this year, and with three really talented D-men expected to go in the top 5, the Islanders would want to pick at least in the top 5, and most preferable right after Columbus and Edmonton, who most likely will pick as no. 1 and 2, if not the lottery draft changes that order.

Ryan Murray (185 cm/91 kg), Mathew Dumba (180 cm/75 kg) and Jacob Trouba (188 cm/88 kg) will all be good fits on the Islanders roster within a few years, but only Trouba is expected to be available when the 5th pick overall is chosen. If he is available, Edmonton Oilers are expected to pick Ryan Murray.

IHF Member
    I agree, Frans Nielsen is somewhat on a hot streak at the moment. I hope it lasts throught the rest of the season and the world cup also.

I think the negotiations on his contract extension have removed his focus more than he is willing to admit. Generally I think that Islanders are shooting themselfes in their feets all the time. His contract should have been ready before the season started. The same could be said about Grabner, PA Parenteau etc. I am not satisfied with Garth Snow and Charles Wang at all. Both in terms of players management or the ability to sell their product.

Bottom line for Frans: He have made the maindeal of his points after the deal was closed, however I still have doubts whether he wont be better as a third line checking forward. If they want to continue with Frans on the second line, at least give him some muscle on the wings....

Ideally in world, they should trade a second line center and give third line to Frans, Grabner and maybe Niederreiter/Okposo. I would very much like him to be nominated for the Selke trophy in the upcomming years, but that will not happen on a second line.

Oh and by the way, even though I agree completely for the next draft, I am quite sure that GM Garth Snow will fuck the draft up one more time and pick a forward.

IHF Member

NY Islanders

Oh and by the way, even though I agree completely for the next draft, I am quite sure that GM Garth Snow will fuck the draft up one more time and pick a forward.
    Depending on which position they will draft from, I really can't see Islanders picking a forward UNLESS either Nail Yakupov or Mikhail Grigorenko are available at the 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th draft position, which in Yakupov's case is highly unlikely. Swedish winger Filip Forsberg could also be an option, BUT with the lack of top talent on the Islanders' defensive roster, they simply can't afford not to pick either of Ryan Murray (Everett Silvertips), Mathew Dumba (Red Deer Rebels) or Jacob Trouba (USA National J18).
    I don't see Edmonton not picking Murray if they are to select either as first or second team (whatever the lottery decides).

From what I have read on various online discussion boards, no team drafting in top 6 will fail with their draft choice if they go after best-player-available (Yakupov, Grigorenko, Murray, Dumba, Forsberg, Trouba, Galchenyuk, Gaunce...), but for New York Islanders their needs on D are so huge that they really cannot ignore players such as Murray, Dumba and Trouba if one of them is available at Islanders' draft position.

Ideally in world, they should trade a second line center and give third line to Frans, Grabner and maybe Niederreiter/Okposo.
    I don't think there is a need for that. I have wanted Snow to go for Cody Hodgson in the off-season who will be a great fit with John Tavares (Hodgson on RW, Tavares at C) but I have come to the conclusion that with the depth of forward talent in the system, the team is better off with being patient and wait for centermen Brock Nelson (Univ. of North Dakota, NCAA) and Ryan Strome (Niagara Ice Dogs, OHL) until they are NHL ready. Both players are able to play on the wing, and could possible enter the NHL team already for next season, although Snow and coach Capuano may not want to rush them into the league as they have done with Nino Niederreiter this season. Hopefully, they will send Niederreiter to Bridgeport so he can build up some confidence and adjust fully to the senior game.

Along with Nelson, Strome, Niederreiter, also college forward Anders Lee (Notre Dame, NCAA) who is listed as 191 cm/103 kg, Russian troublemaker Kirill Kabanov (Shawnigan Cataractes, QMJHL), Johan Sundström (Frölunda, Elitserien) and 2008 draft pick Kirill Petrov (Bars Kazan, KHL) could be NHL players within a few years.

The team is packed with great forward talent, and although they of course must trade some of their prospects, they currently have so much depth on forwards that no else team in the NHL are able to match them.

Islanders could btw have found a 'diamond in the rough' in D-man Brenden Kichton who they selected in the 5th rd. of the 2011 draft. Left-shooting Kichton has 74 points in 71 games this season for Spokane Chiefs of the WHL.

Hmm. It was not my intention to make such a long post.

IHF Member
    Documentary on Frans Nielsen tonight on DR3 20.30

IHF Member
    Last night Frans Nielsen scored his 10'th goal of the season. He achieved it in only 22 matches and is a Point Pr. Game.
    Hugely impressive. I don't think he can keep that pace all season, but if he keeps healthy we might have a Danish point record from him.
    His goal was also a real classy sniper goal. Hopefully it gives him confidence to shoot more!

IHF Member
    Frans Nielsen has achieved a career best of 48 points after 1G 1A last night. With Taveras injured he has the opportunity to play first line center with Anders Lee and Kyle Okposo as wings.
    So 21G 27A after 66 games - he is also the first Danish NHL players to crack 20 goals.

IHF Member
    First hat trick for Frans Nielsen in the NHL in his 455th regular season game.
    NY Islanders won 7-5 over Dalles and all of Frans Nielsen's goals were in the 3rd period.
    The last one an empty netter just getting over the line in time.

IHF Prospect
    Let`s go Isländers !!!!!

Danish Dynamite !!! He is the best shootout Player in the NHL

mfg
    German_Islander
    www.islesarmy.com

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information